oo1; Departure

When the Cherry Blossoms Fall

Luhan's POV


"Neh, appa?" I spoke into my phone while clamping it between my ear and shoulder as I unpacked my groceries, ready to make an anniversary present for Hyemin. 

It was our 1 month anniversary tomorrow. I couldn't believe how 1 month with her flew by so fast. Getting sidetracked, I started smiling, a soft smile at first, which then grew into a huge grin. 

"Luhan? Luhan, are you still there?" I heard my father's gruff voice from the other line. Startled, I hurriedly switched my phone from the uncomfortable position it was in and settled on the counter, swinging on the tall swivel chair before putting the call on speaker. 

Might as well multi-task. 

"Yes, Appa? Didn't catch that."

"Luhan, you're going to China to study for one year."

I dropped the bag of flour onto the floor, ran across the kitchen and grabbed my phone, not caring about the flour-footprints I was leaving across the floor. 

"WHAT? WHY?!" I practically screamed into my phone. 

I heard my father clucking hus tongue in disapproval before speaking. "I already told you. To study, my son."

"But why? I'm studying in the top college in Seoul. Isn't that good enough?" I questioned, panicking. 

"...No."

"Appa! Ahh, f^ck!"

"Luhan, don't spit vulgarities at me."

I took a deep breath. "Is there anything I can do to not leave?"

"Not exactly, no." I could hear my father typing away on his computer. 

"Appa, if what you're typing out now is an application to some college in Beijing, I swear--"

"Done!" I heard a final click. "You're coming to Beijing to meet your mother and I!"

"APPA!" I shrieked, ending the call and throwing my phone onto the sofa of the college hostel. 

"Argh..." I groaned. Sh^t. D^mn it. How am I going to face Hyemin now? Just when I thought things couldn't get worser than it already was...

"Oh. My. Freaking. God." I muttered under my breath. 

I slipped on my sneakers, grabbed a random jacket that was lying around and sneaked out of the campus. I looked at my watch. 5:01PM. 6 more hours to spend with her before I probably never get to see her face-to-face for a school year. 

One school year in a Beijing college would be 3 semesters. 

1 semester is 3 months. 

If I opted for no holidays...

"Assa!" I quickened my steps, crunching and leaving footprints on the newly-fallen snow of the season. 

***

When I reached the Han River, Hyemin was already there. Not surprising, she literally lived a stone's throw away from the river. She was facing the river with a relaxed expression on her face, slowly breathing out air which immediately formed mist in the cold winter. Not wanting to miss this chance, I slowly crept up and backhugged her, feeling her tiny waist secured in my arms. 

"Oppa!" I heard her sweet voice calling me. For a second, I remembered that I wouldn't hear this voice for another nine months until I come back. This realisation struck me, hard, and made me speechless for a minute. 

"Oppa, why are you in a daze like that? And don't you think you're wearing too little for a winter night?"  Hyemin asked. I snapped out of my daze and looked down at my singlet, only half-covered by a zip-up hoodie. 

"Oh. Hehe." I scratched the nape of my neck awkwardly. 

"So...?" Hyemin leaned forward and questioned. 

I tilted my head to the side, confused. "...So?"

She sighed. "What was so important you couldn't even wait one more day to our anniversary to tell me?"

She leaned closer. "You didn't forget, right?"

"Of course not!" I protested, feeling a tinge of guilt. 

I gulped. Sh^t. It's now or never. 

BE A MAN, LUHAN. 

"I...I'm going back to China." I murmured in a small voice. 

There was silence, followed by a sniffle. "You're... not leaving forever, right?"

"I'll be back, I promise."

A few whimpers followed, and I placed my arms around a shaking Hyemin. 

"... When?" She choked out between sobs. 

"I'll be back...

...when the cherry blossoms fall." I whispered into Hyemin's ear before kissing her on the temple. 

Hyemin slightly blinked. "You won't be here for our anniversary?"

I frowned apologetically. 

She sighed, getting the message. "It's okay. Call me, arasseo?"

I nodded, getting up and pulling Hyemin up too. 

I pressed my lips gently against hers, and I felt "I'll wait for you, oppa" before pulling away. 

"I guess you'd better go pack now, oppa." She stretched and picked up her bag. I opened my arms flr one last hug, a long hug that lasted a couple of minutes, before letting Hyemin go. 

I watched as she trudged home in her knee-length boots, disappearing into an apartment only metres away. 

Just like that, she was gone?

"Oppa!" I heard a shout from above. I looked up, and on the apartment rooftop, I saw Hyemin. 

"Jagi-yah!" I yelled back. 

"Oppa, saranghae! I'll wait for you!"

I grinned. What I felt on my lips, was real. 

"Nado saranghae!" I made a heart shape with my arms. Suddenly, Hyemin threw something down from the 22-floor rooftop. I ran over and swept the snow off the little bambi plush and looked at the note attached. 

"Dear Lulu oppa,

      Oppa, when you're in China, work hard okay? 

Don't let me down >.<;;

Also, oppa, I said I would wait for you to come back, so don't forget me okay?

Love you lots and lots,

Your jagi Hyemin. "

When I looked up, Hyemin wasn't there anymore but my heart was satisfied. She would wait for me. 

I went home in peace, packed some clothes and got ready to go.  

Before I knew it, I was safe and sound in Beijing, China. 

***

 


 

How was the first chapter? Good? Bad?

Please Comment, Subscribe and Upvote!^^

 

-yonluvsu