Chapter 1

Another Heart Calls
Please log in to read the full chapter

DongHae POV

„DongHae Hyung! Here! I’m standing free!“, I heard my best Friend KiBum calling.
Without hesitation I turned towards him. The quite old looking ball is stuck to my feet even though the opposite team tried to fetch it from me.
Hastily I dribbled a few steps forwards before I passed the ball to KiBum, who had followed my every movement to be prepared to take it from me. Only a few steps further he tried to shoot a goal. Everything seemed perfect, but the goalkeeper had watched the events on the field like a hawk.
Without thinking twice he jumped in the lower left corner. The ball was flying directly towards him now. Not too long and the ball was safely resting in his arms. A pleased grin was planted on his face.
KiBum kicked in frustration against a small sand hill in front of him, which caused sand grains to fly through the air.

The game resumed just a bit later. The goalkeeper kicked the ball all over the field and even managed to pass it to one of his fellow teammates. The later reacted fast and made his way through our defense towards our goal.
“Do something!”, I heard KangIn shout, he was our goalkeeper and captain at the same time. Our defense now started to do something, but the danger to get a goal was still too high.
Instantly I left my position as striker and tried to avert the danger of getting a goal. I was fast and got to the offender quickly. I grinned triumphantly and put myself in the way of the offender.

“You won’t get that one”, our offender shouted and tried to fool me with a surprising tackling. But it’s not that easy to get me fooled. Not too long and I was again standing in his way. The offender tried the same move again, but this time I was prepared. I reached for the ball and snap it away from him.

As the opposite team was now almost completely gathered in our half of the field. Some player instantly started to attack me and fetch the ball away form me again. That was an undertaking that didn’t work out.
A wide grin was creeping on my face as I was able to get away once again. Content with myself I searched for a way to pass the ball to one of my teammates, but everyone was surrounded by an opposite team player. As I realized that I cursed silently and tried to figure out a way to get the ball to one of my teammates.

The opposing defense stood narrow together and blocked every possibility for me to get further. Suddenly a player moved away from his position and attacked me once again. That movement came so surprisingly that it almost worked for him to snatch the ball away from me. In that same moment I saw how a hole appeared in their defense which allowed me to shoot the ball to a teammate.

“RyeoWook-ah!”, I shouted with a loud voice and I strike out to shoot.
With a lot of power I kicked against the ball and it flew like an arrow over the warm sand.
RyeoWook, shrug a bit when he heard his name. When he realized that the ball was flying directly toward him his eyes got wide out of fear. Indecisive over what he was supposed to do now he stepped shortly from one foot to the other. When the ball only was a few centimeters away from him, he turned himself away from it and let it pass by. I didn't expect that to happen.
In shock I watched how the ball flew out of the previously agreed field and only got stopped in one of the booming waves of the sea.

“Good kick, DongHae Hyung”, I heard KiBum say with a malicious grin on his face, while he put his arm heavily on my shoulder.
My best friend had made his way towards me to mock me right after landed in the water. Huffy I curled my mouth and stared disbelieving towards the ball that was floating far away from the beach.

“What was I supposed to do? I couldn’t go further nor backwards. RyeoWook stood free”, I defended myself but my words where whipped away with one wave of my friends hand.
“Well... It could have worked out”, I deemed, but I already knew as I spoke those words, that I was just trying to fool myself. I sighted.

From afar I heard how KangIn stopped the game and ordered that someone should go and get the ball out of the water. General mumbling was heard now. No one wanted to swim so far into the sea to get the ball. Our practice was held on the beach but still no one had the desire to go into the cold water. Thought the sand on the beach was warm the water hasn’t changed its temperature since two months.

Hastily I got rid of KiBum’s clinch and went towards the clear sea water. KiBum curled his lips in disappointment and run after me. Harshly he grabbed my arm and dragged me back, with an evil eye.
“Are you kidding me now? When you go out there you'll catch a cold. I have no intention to play your nurse for the next few weeks, Hyung. My finals are in three weeks. Let RyeoWook go. He’s the reason why the ball is out there now”, KiBum said and pulled me a bit away from the sea.

I turned myself towards the place where RyeoWook was standing. The a bit lanky boy was looking embarrassed to the ground and draw small circles with his left foot into the sand. From time to time he looked shortly up towards me. He immediately lowered his gaze again when he noticed that I was looking at him.
“I have shot the ball, haven't I? Thus I will get it back. Furthermore RyeoWook has his finals in three weeks too. I don’t want neither of you to fail those exams. I want you both to go to college” I said and got rid of KiBum’s hand again.
“Hyung~”, he whined with a teary voice full of hope to convince me to not go, but that didn’t work on me.

Determined I went towards the cold wet in front of me. I passed by RyeoWook on my way. He was still looking down in embarrassment and drew circles with his foot. While passing him I thought to hear a quiet 'Thank you', but as I turned towards him he was still starring holes into the sand. A slightly red shimmer has formed on his checks. I smiled.

Gentle waves where hitting my ankles and dug my feet fast in to the cold sand, a wonderful feeling. I loved the beach and the sea. The cold water, that was now climbing up my legs, wasn’t something unfamiliar for me. Still I had wished it to be at least a bit warmer for today. A slight shiver went through my body.

I didn’t stand still for an instant. I waded out into the sea and soon I found myself chest deep in the water. The ball was now only a few centimeters away from me. Hastily I swam towards it, but it seemed as if it was drifting further away from me. How is it possible, that this small black and white leather thing, was carried so war away? Weren’t he waves supposed to carry it towards the beach?
Confused I starred at the ball, which was now again approximately within the same distance as before. Again I tried to get near it, but the waves carried it even further on to the sea.

“DongHae-yah, hurry up we want to continue our game!”, I heard our captain shouting behind me.
He had an easy saying. Angrily I bit a bit too rough on my lower lip.
Again I tried to reach the ball. This time it was even remaining on its spot, but something that shortly caressed my leg held me back. I looked in to the deep, but the water was so unclear at this point that I wasn’t able to see something. Probably a fish that was swimming too close to the beach.

I outstretched my arm to get the ball back. This time I was able to touch it with my fingertips. Sadly I was still a bit too far away from it to really catch it. I swum a bit further and finally was able to grab the ball. As I wanted to turn towards the beach, I saw in the light of the setting sun a tail fin coming out of the water.

The sun let the splashing water glitter in the air and even the tail fin was glittering in a wonderful shade of blue. Still I did realize the size of the fin. It was huge. To huge to be the one of a normal fish. However it didn’t resemble those of a whale or a dolphin. Magnetized I looked at the spot where the fin disappeared before. Was this really just a fish?

“DongHae Hyung. Come out of the water or else you will really catch a cold”, I heard KiBum shout. His voice pulled me instantly out of my thoughts back to the here and now. I looked at the ball in my arms, which now was innocently going up and down with the waves. Once again I looked at the horizon in hope to see this marvelous fin again, but nothing like it was in sight. Disappointed I turned towards the beach and swum back to my team.

“Took you long enough”, I heard KangIn mumble when I reached the beach, and brought back the ball. I pretended to hear nothing and went to my best friend, who wasn’t standing far away from me.
He had already taken my towel out of my backpack and waited longingly for me. As soon as I had reached him he laid the small towel, which had gotten rough from the frequently washing, around my shoulders and rubbed me dry. Angrily he was blustering with me over the whole action. I wasn’t even listening to him.

Again my eyes wandered to the horizon, but that what I hoped to see wasn’t arising.
“Ehm... KiBum-ah. How big do you think are the fishes out there?” I asked without lifting my gaze from the horizon. I didn’t need to look at my best friend to know that he was baffled. He frowned.

“Fish?”, he asked confused.
“Aren’t you the upcoming marine biologist? Shouldn’t you know such things? May I remind you that I’m still in High School”, he said and stopped to dry me. Instantly I grabbed

Please log in to read the full chapter