Roomates

Exo's collection of short stories

 

 

It was 7am in the morning. The 3 boys : Kai, Sehun and baekhyun , sat around the round wooden table in their dorm. They were waiting for him to arrive. The manager.

‘’What’s taking him so long ? ‘’ asked Sehun impatiently, tapping his foot hastily on the floor.

‘’Well, we did make a sudden call to him and demand him to come over immediately in the morning out of the blue,’’ said Kai, thinking about how groggily their manager was when he answered the phone.

‘’Yea, but we did specify it was a urgent matter ! ‘’ argued Baekhyun , grumpy from the lack of sleep.

''Omo'' said Kai, inspecting his eyesbags. It was getting serious.

The boys heard slow footsteps approaching the dorm, and the familiar jingling of keys. With a slow push, their manager entered the dorm.

‘’Alright, what’s the big emergency which was so urgent that I had to drag myself here ? ‘’ asked the manager, sinking to the chair.

The 3 boys glanced at each other and nodded their heads.

‘’We’’

‘’Want’’

‘’To’’

‘’Change’’

‘’Our ‘’

‘’Roomates’’ said the boys, a word each.

Staring incredulously at them, manager hyung widened his eyes.

‘’You guys made me wake up at this time just to make this request ? ‘’ asked the manager, not believing his ears.

‘’Hey, at least you get undisrupted sleep most of the time,’’ grumbled Baekhyung. ‘’ Try having Chanyeol as your alarm clock.One that rings inconsistently, at the wrong timings. ‘’

Earlier that day

5 am

‘’ I got a boy meotjin! I got a boy chakhan! ‘’ sang Chanyeol cheerfully, getting dressed for his morning run. Unfortunately, his roommate was feeling not so cheerful. Baekhyun’s eyelids fluttered as the sound of Chanyeol’s voice flooded his ears.

‘’ Urgh Chanyeol, what are you singing ? ‘’ slurred Baekhyun, waking up to consciousness.

‘’ Our fabulous senior SNSD’s song of course ! ‘’ answered Chanyeol as he continued singing ‘’ Oh. Ohh eh oh. Ohh eh oh ‘’

Baekyun knew Chanyeol was the happy virus and he was prone to doing odd things at odd timing. The last time Chanyeol suggested building a miniature model of the Malaysian Twin towers out of lego.

‘’What are you up so early for anyways ? ‘’ asked Baekhyun, trying to get back sleeping.

‘’Going for a morning run , it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. You should join me You better run run run run run’’ sang Chanyeol, switching to another song.

‘’ No thanks, just let me sleep ,’’ said Baekyun, sandwiching his head with his pillow.

‘’ oh oh oh oh oppareul saranghae ‘’ sang Chanyeol, louder this time as he dragged Baekhyun’s legs out.

‘’Stop it Chanyeol ‘’ groaned Baekhyun , kicking his legs, trying to free them

‘’ sowoneul malhaebwa  i'm genie for you, boy ‘’ continued Chanyeol as he grabbed Baekhyun’s eyeliner and started drawing hearts on Baekhyun’s sole.

‘’Chanyeol ! ‘’

Present

‘’ And he used my favourite eyeliner ! ‘’ scowled Baekhyun, finishing his rant.

‘’That’s not so bad, ‘’ said manager hyung, unpersuaded.

‘’Yea’’ agreed Kai. ‘’ You try being roommates with D.O instead ‘’ said Kai, starting his rant.

Last night

 

Kai sat at the edge of his bed, his eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room. He watched as D.O’s chest rise and fall at a slow steady rhythm, deep in sleep. Running his fingers through his ruffled hair, Kai wondered briefly.

Should he or shouldn’t he ?

Turing to his illuminated clock, he noticed the time was 3am in the morning. Distressed, Kai pushed his blanket off the bed. He couldn’t sleep. And it was all D.O’s fault. For a long time, Kai wanted to tell D.O , to let him know what being his roommate had done to him. Longingly, the words in Kai’s mouth wanted to rush out multiple times but in the end, Kai always stopped. The words were simple, but he couldn’t say them. While he rubbed his eyes, another snore resonated from D.O ‘s chest. That was it. Kai had to do it. Swinging his legs off the bed, determination stirred in Kai as he prepares what he wanted to say for so long. It was time.

‘’D.O’’ he said , shaking him.

‘’Hmmm…..’’ D.O answered groggily, waking up. ‘’ What is it Kai ? ‘’

Kai held his breathe and- opened his mouth.

‘’YAH DO KYUNG SOO ‘’ snapped Kai in an irked manner, displaying his full displeasure at D.O

‘’ W-what ? ‘’ stammered D.O , startled by Kai’s sudden outburst in the early morning. Hurriedly, D.O straightened himself and gave Kai his full attention.

‘’FOR GOD’S SAKE, CAN YOU PLEASE STOP SNORING ? ‘’ cried Kai loudly. He could feel all the displeasure and frustrations he had bottled up starting to roll out to the surface.

Because of D.O, Kai could hardly get enough sleep. Every night, just as Kai was drifting off to sleep, almost reaching slumber land, he would be rudely interrupted by the snores  of D.O. Loud and heavy, it seemed to take up all the space in the room. Since Kai, who was a light sleep, couldn’t adjust himself to the sleeping habits of his roommate. Wearily, Kai went to school and almost always fell asleep in one of his classes. To make matters worse, he didn’t have the energy required for his dance classes. It was affecting his performance.And he was having eyebags ! As Kai was explaining all of this, D.O threw his quilt over his head, numbly nodding to Kai’s words.

‘’You get what I mean ? ‘’ asked Kai, finishing his reasons. He paused. ‘’Look kyungsoo, you have a fantastic voice and all but could you not use it to snore ? ’’ said Kai, waiting for a reply.

‘’ You’re alright ya ? ‘’ asked Kai, wondering whether he was  being too harsh. Looking over at D.O, Kai waited for his answer.

‘’Kyung soo ? ‘’ asked Kai again, pondering why his roommate was taking so long to answer him. In the quiet darkness, Kai could hear soft sounds emitted from the quilt. Pulling off the quilt, Kai realised D.O had fallen asleep from listening to him and was snoring . Again.

‘’AISH ‘’ cried out Kai, exasperated.

Present

‘’Oh please,’’ scoffed the maknae, Sehun. ‘’ You hyungs have it easy.’’

‘’So even you have complains as well, ‘’ said the manager. He was all ears now, amused at their stories.

‘’With all respect, Suho is a great leader. But he is, also, a very very naggy granpa,’’ commented Sehun.

‘’That’s it ? He doesn’t have snores that keeps you awake ? He doesn’t do random things and destroy your stuff ? ‘’ shot Kai sardonically, folding his arms.

‘’That’s it ? ‘’ said Sehun, echoing Kai’s words .’’ What do you mean that’s it ? He uses nagging like it’s his superpower or something. Every single day he has something to nag about. Sehun , don’t put your shoes on the bed;  Sehun  remember to dry the clothes ; Sehun remember to do your homework ;Sehun don’t drink so much bubble tea .’’ mocked Sehun, imitating their leader.

‘’Do you know how endless his nagging feels ? ‘’ questioned the maknea, growing increasingly agitated.

‘’He really is like a grandpa, a very young and energetic grandpa who nags like it’s also part of his job ! ‘’ cried Sehun. The room grew quiet as the maknae suddenly found his hyungs staring intently on him. It was then Sehun realized he had been grabbing his manger’s collar all the long, shaking him while talking.

Sehun cleared his throat , releasing his grip on the collar. ‘’ Sorry…. I guess I got a little carried away.’’ He apologized , tunring red.

‘’Well, ‘’ said the manager, adjusting his shirt. ‘’ Since you guys have your reasons , I’ll change your roomates .’’

‘’Really ? ‘’ exclaimed the boys in unison .

Preview

‘’ Jongin, can you dance to 2NE1’s ‘ I love you ‘? ‘’ asked Chanyeol.

‘’No , I mean yes, no! I mean –‘’ sputtered Kai as he figured which is the right answer.

‘’So that means you can dance ! Show me ! ‘’ said Chanyeol  keenly.

‘’ No ! ‘’ said Kai, embarrassed at the thought of it .

‘’Why not ? Lay danced to wonder girls before –‘’ stopped Chanyeol, his eyes widening. ‘’ You mean you like Wonder girls more than 2NE1? ‘’