Miss Nobody

Project: Miss Right

 

The Ricky and Chunji skipped soccer practice. CAP's is a little moody that day, they are quite sure he'll just make them run around the field or do hundreds of crunches all day. It's Chunji's idea. If ever Bang Minsoo questions him about their absence, he planned to tell him that he's busy with Project: Miss Right and he dragged Ricky along to help him. Ricky who is used to being glared at by their actually very kind and caring captain went along with Chunji's idea, never argue with the top student, he thought. They are on the rooftop of one of the school's tallest building, holding binoculars and peering at the people in the school, trying to find a candidate for Changjo up there.

"Don't you like that girl wearing a pink hair band??" Ricky asked.

"Not Changjo's type." Chunji said. "Don't find a girl that suit your taste, find one that will suit Changjo."

"Over there! Look at that one!" Ricky excitedly said.

"Which one?" Chunji asked as he peered thought his binoculars and hovers through the school field.

"The pretty one!" Ricky happily replied.

"Where??" Chunji asked him again.

"The one sitting on the bench!" Ricky said.

"Ricky, I can see at least 12 benches up here." Chunji told him. "Can you be a little more specific?"

"The one reading sitting cross-legged with a book on her lap!" Ricky exclaimed.

"Ah chinja!" Chunji hit him on the head. "That's my sister!!!"

"Chinja-yo?" Ricky said. "Woah. Eunji looks pretty up here!"

"Not her. Not her. Look for another one," Chunji bossed him around.

"Bomi-ssi?" Ricky suggested. "She's the one sitting beside Eunji, right? How 'bout her?"

"Bomi?" Chunji repeated. "Changjo and her doesn't have chemistry." He said waving his hand on his face.

"Why do you need chemistry for?" Ricky asked innocently. "Do you solve equation to find Changjo's Miss Right as well?"

"Ani." Chunji hit his head again. "I'm just saying that they don't look good together and they're super total opposite of each other."

"Ahhh.." Ricky said. "But opposite attracts! Right?"

"Bomi's a sadist while Changjo's a masochist," Chunji told him. "Although opposite attracts, you never put a masochist and a sadist together. No. No. No. Not them."

"That one." Ricky randomly picked a girl on the field.

"Oh Hayoung?" Chunji said, scratcing head.

"Oh great! You know her!" Ricky gleefully said, thinking that their work is done. "What do you think? Is she a good match for him?"

"Ani. Pick another one." Chunji said without giving further explanation.

"Wae?" Ricky raised an eyebrow at him. "She's tall, fair and her hair is long and straight. She got the physical features that Changjo likes."

"Not her for now." Chunji replied. "Pick another one." Ricky grimaced at him and just played with the binoculars. He turned around and was startled to see Park Chorong in front of him.

"Waah!" Ricky exclaimed, clutching his chest. "Could you please make a little sound so we'll know you're there! You almost give me a heart attack!"

"I'm so disappointed that I failed to give you one." Chorong told him, rolling her eyes. "Lee Chunji-ssi." She called his name but he didn't even turn around to face her.

"Hmm?" He just said.

"Meet me today after your soccer practice is over." Chorong said.

"Wae?" He asked, still peering through the binoculars and inspecting the school grounds.

"Have you forgotten? We need to balance 150 chemical equations." Chorong told him.

"Can't you just tell me which one should I answer?" Chunji asked. "I can't stay here even after soccer practice is over, I'm busy."

"Busy?" Chorong said. "I can see you're just fooling around with your friend here with your binoculars. If you have time to do sight-seeing on pretty girls then you might as well save some time to solve our chemistry assignment."

"Let's do it now then." Chunji said, putting the binoculars down. "I can't make it later today, I'm serious."

"I have other important things to do, unfortunately." Chorong said. "See you!" She then walked out.

"She sure is bossing you around." Ricky said. Chunji just shrugged his shoulder and continued surveying the school grounds.


 

 

 

"Oppa!" The pep squad leader named Go Jin-ah exclaimed as soon as Ricky and Chunji entered the gym where her team was practicing. The duo are looking for a place where they could take a nap during their break and thought that the gymnasium would be empty. But as usual, they are wrong. Go Jin-ah quickly run towards them.

"Hey Jin-ah," Chunji greeted her with a warm smile. Ricky just gave her a nod, enough to tell her that he knew that she exist.

"Good to see you here oppa!" The girl said gleefully. "Is there anything that I could help you with?"

"We want a quiet place to sleep," Ricky quickly told her. "We thought that this place is empty but we're wrong so we're leaving." He tapped Chunji's shoulder and headed toward the exit.

"Mian." Chunji told the girl. "He's prickly when he's sleepy. Anyway, I got to go." He saluted at her and headed out. He passed by a girl who's heading inside the gym on his way out.

"What are you doing here?" He heard Jin-ah said. "I told you cheerleading is not for someone like you, you might as well just leave." She said, not as warm as she have greeted Chunji and Ricky. The whole pep squad began laughing at her.

"I have been practicing, unnie." The girl said. "I'm thinking that maybe I could join you now." They just laughed at her even more when she said that.

"You don't belong here, Oh Hayoung so—" The Jin-ah girl tried to say but they Ricky suddenly appeared and took the girl by the arm and scowled at Go Jin-ah.

"You're pretty when you're nice, ugly when you're rude." He told them. 

"I—" The girl called Hayoung tried to say but then Ricky was already dragging her out of the gym.

"Here she is." He said, pushing Hayoung towards Chunji.

"Hayoung-ah!" Chunji happily exclaimed, giving her a big bear hug. "It's been a long time since I last saw you! Why did you just pass me by? You didn't even say hi?!"

"Chunji-oppa? I didn't notice you... You're.. You're.. Fairer?" Hayoung said. "Shouldn't you be -tanned since you're always under the sun?"

"I've always been fair. Tsk tsk!" He tousled her hair. He then notice Ricky who looked like he has fallen asleep standing up. He nudge him with his elbow. "Yo bro! Not here, wake up!" Ricky yawned. 

"You guys done? Can we find a place to sleep now?" He asked them.

"You haven't met her yet." Chunji said. "This is my friend—"

"I know. I know—" Ricky said but then the girl suddenly butted in, pulling his sleeves.

"Y-you know me????!" Hayoung asked in amazement. "Chinja?! Chinja?!"

"Err.. You're Chunji's friend? Right?" Ricky said.

"Oppa! He knows me! He knows me!" Hayoung said jumping around Chunji.

"What's with her?" Ricky asked Chunji who just shook his head with an amused expression on his face. She continued jumping as she started to leave. "Hey wait! Where are you going!?" He called after her. The girl turned around to face them, smiling happily.

"I'm going to roam around!" Hayoung gleefully replied. "Wae? Is there something I can help you with?"

"We're looking for a place where utmost silence can be achieved." Ricky told her. "Do you know a place?"

"She should, she always roam around the school during her free time." Chunji said. "Can you suggest one, Hayoung-ah? We really want to take a nap."

"Huh?" Hayoung said, tilting her head to the left and let it hang there for a while. "T-the library."

"The library?" Ricky repeated while Chunji burst into laughter.

"Wae?" Hayoung asked innocently. "Isn't si-silence almost synonym-mous to the l-library? Why are you laughing, Chunji-oppa?"

"It's just funny how we didn't think of that." Chunji explained.

"Does that m-mean I think more than you do? I'm s-smarter now??" Hayoung asked with a warm smile.

"Yes, if that makes you happy." Chunji replied. "Thanks for suggesting the library."

"No prob!" Hayoung said dancing as she leaves.

"Are you sure she doesn't have any problem?" Ricky asked, raising one eyebrow at Chunji. "I think she's a little sick in the.. Err.. Head."

"Ani." Chunji said. "She's just happy that you recognized her."

"I didn't," Ricky told him. "I just said I know the two of you are friends!"

"It doesn't matter, at least you have cheered her up." Chunji grinned at him. "Kamsahamnida, chingu-ya."

"Wae?" Ricky asked.

"I'm happy that you are giving her your attention," Chunji said grinning at him. "People usually ignore my poor little friend, Oh Hayoung-ssi."

"Eh?"

"Oh Hayoung is an average student with no special talents." Chunji told him. "She's a nobody who wanted to be somebody so badly but doesn't have anything to offer. People calls her a loser but wait until she proves herself." Chunji concluded. "Anyway, let's go take a nap in the library!"

"Gaja!" Ricky replied.


 

Ricky went home alone that day. The rest of his friends have other important engagements. Since he doesn't have anything else to do, he plans to go home and get more sleep or play soccer in the field near their house alone until his friends are free to play with him. He went skateboarding towards the bus stop, he took a seat when he reached it and waited for the bus to arrive. He was fidgeting his phone when he heard somebody sob. As far as he can remember, he's alone waiting for a bus but when he looked at his far left side, a girl whose clothes were soaking wet, was sitting there, sobbing. He recognize the girl. She's the one who suggested the library to them earlier that day.

"Chunji's chingu?" Ricky said aloud but the girl was so busy weeping that she didn't even hear him. He surveyed her and saw how drenched she is. He took off the varsity jacket that he's wearing and placed it over her shoulders. The girl gasped and quickly looked at him with an astonished look on her face.

"Chu-chunji's chingu?" She blurted out.

"Ani. I'm not just his friend, I'm his best friend though I actually share that title with 4 other people." Ricky corrected her with a warm smile. He's not good at comforting people so he just frequently relies on his smile.

"I-I seee.. Wh-hat are y-you doing here?" She asked.

"Well.. I'm waiting for the bus to arrive." He replied.

"Ahh.." The girl said and then an awkward silence filled the air. Ricky doesn't know what else to say.

"Uhmm... I'm Yoo Ricky." He told her. "What's your name again? I didn't catch it earlier today."

"O-o-oh H-hayoung." She stuttered.

"Ooh Hayong?" Ricky asked.

"A-aniyo." Hayoung said. "O-oh Hayoung."

"That's what I said, Ooh Hayong." Ricky replied.

"Aniyo." Hayoung said without stuttering. "It's Oh," She said making a huge "O" using . "Oh not Ooh, Hayoung not Hayong." Ricky snickered. "Wae? What's so funny? Is my name funny?"

"Ani." Ricky said. "It's just funny that you can talk straight when you're pissed but you kept on stuttering when you're not."

"It's just a habit." Hayoung said.

"See, you're talking real straight now." Ricky said. "Why are you crying? And why are you drenched?"

"The girls from the.. What do you call that? The swimming team? They rejected me." Hayoung said. "And then I ended up in the pool."

"It's okay. Maybe swimming is not for you." Ricky said. "Try some other things."

"I'm tired of trying." Hayoung replied. "I think it's hopeless."

"You just lack confidence!" Ricky said. "Chunji told me you are trying to be a somebody but actually you are already are a somebody at school."

"Huh?"

"I've asked around if they know you and they said yes, you are Miss Nobody!" Ricky said. "See? They know you! Even Wonder Girls knows you! They even sang a song about you!"

"I am not getting your point here..." Hayoung said, tilting her head and seems like she's thinking about something. Then Ricky stood up and danced in front of her. "Yah.. What are you doing?"

"Dancing Nobody, you're song." Ricky said as he continued dancing.

"We're in the middle of the street, stop that.. It's embarrassing!" Hayoung told him, pulling him down to sit.

"It's not." Ricky retorted.

"It is." She replied.

"See? You just lack confidence." Ricky said. "If you're going to show them up, you need to be confident. And smile. It will do you good." Ricky winked at her and sighed. "I didn't know it's this hard to cheer a girl up." He snickered.