The Terror Lab Partner

Project: Miss Right

"You don't really have to do it, you know." Changjo tried to tell Chunji as they walk towards their class that day with L.Joe. "I'll tell MInsoo-hyung that it is totally unnecessary."

"As if that would change anything," L.Joe snickered. "That guy is persistent!"

"You don't have to worry, Changjo-ya." Chunji said lazily. "I'll find you a good match."

"You don't have to do it." Changjo repeated.

"If I don't, Minsoo will just bug me about it forever.." Chunji told him. "And I know there's more to it than just helping you out."

"Hidden agenda???" L.Joe asked.

"Neh," Chunji replied. "I just can feel it."

"And you'll do it?"

"I don't think I even have a choice—wait a minute.. Who said that?" Chunji asked. The three of them turned and saw a female student frowning at them. "Nuguseyo??"

"I'm your lab partner, you dummy!!!" The girl yelled at him.

"My partner?" The three of them asked in unison, pointing a finger at themselves.

"You don't know who your lab partners are?" The girl asked in disbelief. The three shook their heads in response and the girl grimaced at them. "I'm your lab partner, Lee Chunji-ssi!"

"Ah me?" Chunji said. "Okay."

"Okay??!" The girl demanded. "You have time to do your friends a favor when you haven't even done our group project yet!?"

"Calm down, sis." L.Joe told her.

"I'll calm down once I have his part in our project!" The girl howled at them.

"I've sent it to your email already." Chunji told her calmly, doesn't seem to be affected with all her shouting.

"The file isn't working! It's corrupted!" The girl whined at him. "I can't open it, we need it today!"

"Does your computer have a virus or something?" Chunji whispered to Changjo, the latter shook his head in response.

"We need it today!" The girl barked at him.

"Araso." Chunji said, pouting. "I'll send it later."

"You better do or else! You're dead meat!" The girl yelled at him and walked out. The three were left staring at her back as she stormed out.

"Does she even know that she was yelling at our batch's top student?" L.Joe asked. "You two will get A+ for sure! Even without her help!"

"What's her name again?" Changjo asked.

"Molla." Chunji replied and then gave the maknae a curious look. "Wae? You like those type of girls?"

"H-Huh?" Changjo stammered, caught off-guard. "She's pretty. How come you don't know her when she's your lab partner?"

"I just don't." Chunji said cooly.

"What's the big fuss about it?" L.Joe asked. "I also don't know who my lab partner is."

"Yours is Son Naeun." Chunji told him.

"How did you know?" The two asked.

"Aish.. Naeun-ah has been our classmate since middle school!" Chunji told them, he brought his eyes back to the slowly disappearing silhouette of his lab partner. "I guess my lab partner just doesn't have a very memorable face for me to remember her."

"I bet she's a nagger." L.Joe quickly said, grinning. 

"How can you say that when you don't even know her personally?!" Changjo demanded. "And I''m telling you, she's pretty."

"Pretty? That girl?" Ricky, who suddenly appeared beside them, said. "She's Park Chorong."

"How did you know when you're from a different class?!" Changjo asked again.

"A student like me who desperately wants to get out of the middle ranking always check his competition." Ricky told them. "Park Chorong is rank 4th in our batch, don't you know?"

"O, geurae?" The three chorused.

"Neh," Ricky continued. "She's been stuck on that place since first year, I heard she desperately want to snatch the top position this year."

"Impossible." L.joe said grinning. "Chunji owns that spot! And she cannot have it with her nasty attitude." He then turned to Changjo. "And she's not charming at all."

"She was." Changjo mumbled and all of them grimaced at him. He falls in love too quickly.


 

It's lunch time and the boys are just doing their usual routine: teasing and mocking each other. Chunji isn't joining their little prank because he's so busy surveying the cafeteria to find a good match for their maknae.

"Have you found a good prospect?" Niel asked out of the blue.

"None yet." Chunji said as he continued to survey the place. "Half of the girls I know has been asked by Changjo already"

"That's not true!" Changjo exclaimed. "That's a big lie."

"Ah, jeongmal?!" Chunji said with a mischievous grin plastered on his face. "Didn't you get to know them because I know them?"

"Not all of them.." Changjo said pouting.

"Look at that girl," L.Joe said, pointing a finger at the farthest corner of the cafeteria. Over there was a trio, eating their lunch. "The one drinking the orange juice, I think she's a pretty awesome catch!" The boys all turned to look at the girl and then quickly turned back to their original position before the girl begin to notice that they are looking at her.

"Too thin." Ricky commented.

"We call them slender." L.Joe corrected him.

"When did you ever learned that word?!" Niel immediately . L.Joe's the only one of them who's currently in the bottom rank.

"Ah, chinja!" L.JOe snapped at him. 

"There's a dictionary inside his bag!" Ricky said aloud.

"Stop it! Focus, we guys need to focus! It's for Changjo-ya's future!" L.Joe said.

"But you're little late," Chunji said. "Changjo have already asked that girl out."

"You did?!?!" Everyone then turned to Changjo.

"The 11th girl..." Changjo said silently.

"Then how about that girl over there?" Ricky asked pointing to the girl, sitting alone, eating a hamburger.

"Pretty but she's not graceful at all." Niel commented. "She's eating the burger like a monster."

"I don't think she's a good catch.." CAP said.

"Wae?" Ricky asked.

"She's a bully." CAP said.

"Then you're friends with her?" L.joe said, laughing. "Birds of the same feathers flock together!"

"I am not a bully" CAP denied but then someone slammed at chemistry book on their table. All eyes fell on the person who is glaring at them with both arms on her tiny waist. The boys raised an eyebrow at her. It's Park Chorong.

"Lee Chunji!!?" She yelled.

"Neh? Nuguseyo?" Chunji asked innocently.

"Ah jeongmal!?!" Chorong exclaimed hysterically.

"She's Park Chorong!" The boys mouthed at Chunji who doesn't seem to remember the girl still.

"Park Chorong???" Chunji repeated s if searching her in his memory.

"I'm your lab partner, you jerk!" She snapped at him.

"Park Chorong, lab partner.." Chunji said aloud. "Okaay.. I remember now." He happily said.

"We've been partners since Biology class! How come you don't recognize me everytime!" Chorong demanded.

"O, geurae? Since Biology class?? I didn't know that.." Chunji said. "Mianhae.. You're face isn't that memorable that's why I couldn't memorize it. Please don't get too mad.."

"Not memorable?!?!?!" She howled and then gave her temples a massage using her fingers in attempt to calm herself down. She then suddenly snatched the phone lying on the table in front of Chunji and took a picture of herself.

"Hey, hey, hey, what are you doing??" Chunji asked, thinking that it is weird of her to take a photo of herself using somebody else's phone. Chorong threw the phone at him and he caught it effortlessly.

"There! Maybe you can memorize my face now! Stare at my picture all night until you get sick of it!" She told him.

"Stare at your picture all night?" Chunji asked, grinning. "That sounds a little creepy."

"The best part is... That's not even Chunji's phone!" Ricky snickered.

"B-bo?!" Chorong said, a little taken a back. She doesn't know if they are just making fun of her or what.

"That's Changjo-ya's phone!!!" L.Joe announced, laughing.

"C-Changjo? Omo! Give that phone back to me!!" She yelled, diving at Chunji to get the phone but the goalie was quick, he threw it immediately to CAP. "Yah!!" She whined.

"Changjo-ya's going to stare at your picture all night!" Niel happily as CAP threw the phone to him. "Ooooh... You're surprisingly pretty here, Chorong-ssi..!"

"Yah! Give me that damn thing!" Chorong shouted. She was trying so hard to catch the phone as the boys pass it to each other back and forth. "Jebal!" She whined again but the boy were just laughing at her.

"Chorong-ssi, smile!" CAP said aloud.

"What smile?" Chorong asked. She turned around to face him. Click! CAP have taken a photo of her using his own phone.

"Ahh. Yeppuda!" He announced.

"Yey!" The boys squealed at their hyung.

"Aish!" She hissed at them.

"Now you can have Changjo's phone back." CAP said. Chunji happily hand it to her but as soon as the phone reached her hand she just threw it back to him again in her frustration.

"It's yours now! The hell I care!" Chorong told him. "At least he'll have something pretty to stare at!"

"Geurae. Kamsahamnida." Chunji said and then ruffled her hair. "He'll have one less lonely night." Chorong scowled at him. "Okay. Okay. So Why are you here again? Do you want to have lunch with us? I guess you can since Eunji and Bomi is nowhere to be found."

"I am not here to eat lunch with you 12 year old kids!" Chorong said. "The file! You haven't sent it to me!"

"File? I've sent it already." Chunji said. "To your email."

"It isn't working!" She began yelling again. "I want you to do it now, hand-write it if you must!"

"Mwoh?! That chapter is too long to be hand written" Niel butted in.

"Excuse me but I don't talk to anyone in the middle-rank." She snapped at him. "Much more to the people in the bottom rank!"

"B-bo?!!" NIel, Ricky and L.Joe asked, standing up from where they're sitting.

"You guys know nothing but to fool around looking high and mighty because you won a kid's game"

"Soccer isn't a kid's game!" L.Joe fire back.

"And you!" She pointed at finger at L.Joe. "You know nothing but to pay attention on the way you look! I hope you would pay that good attention to your studies as well so you won't end up in the bottom again!"

"At least you now I am good looking," L.Joe told her.

"And at least, we don't go around belittling everyone in our way," Ricky said.

"At least we have a better attitude that you! Yours is a trash!" Niel told her. "No wonder you don't have friends."

"Will you guys calm down please?" Changjo told them. CAP then gave Chunji a if-you-don't-do-something-I'll-do-something-myself look. Chunji sighed and took out a folder from his bag.

"Here." He handed it to her.

"What's this?" She asked, calm for the first time.

"Chapter 4, the one you're asking for." Chunji said. "I somehow knew that you would pop out from somewhere claiming that the fie isn't working so I took the liberty of printing it out for you." He said with a wink. "You can stop pretending now that file isn't working."

"I am not pretending" She tried to protest.

"I know you are just using the file as an excuse to see Changjo." Chunji continued with a teasing smile. The boys stood up as they heard the bell rang, Niel, Ricky and L.joe are scowling at her. CAP gave her a cold stare and Changjo just stood there, scratching his head.

"I am not using it as an ex" She tried to defend herself.

"And by the way," Chunji said as he also prepares to leave. "Never make fun of my friends' ranking again. And if you're going to ridicule them, please make sure your rank is higher than mine." Chorong was taken aback. She doesn't know how to react. "Until you have pushed me out of my place, you cannot ridicule anyone about their ranking or of their level of intelligence." Chunji concluded, flicking her forehead with his fingers and giving her an ironic smile. He and his friends left her dumbfounded without giving her a second glance... Well, except for Changjo of course.