Sacramental Remembrance

Silent Obsession

 

It was almost certain. Certain that she had cheated on him with his fellow band member while she knew he was completely loyal to her, never even glancing at others. His eyes were on her only. Yet, she had broken him. But not before she had taken him in her hands, repaired his fragile body and soul. He should have known she was going to smash him to pieces again. He should have listened to those around him.

There they stood, facing each other and just staring. Her eyes wide with evident shock, as well as his own but neither dared to say a word. Not even a whisper and the tension that hung around in the air was heavy. Anyone who was around could tell but the silence remained unbroken.

He didn’t know what to feel. Anger? Jealousy? Sorrow? Indifference? It all seemed so inappropriate yet so fitting at the same time. Anger because she had been seeing another behind his back, it was complete betrayal. Jealousy because, in her eyes, the other was better than himself. Sorrow because despite the obvious fact that he had tried so hard, that he had poured all his heart, soul and mind into their relationship, she still did not think it was enough.

She watched him, feeling become dry and her body was paralysed and her mind had shut down. It was almost as if someone had stabbed her right into her heart upon seeing his face, it was blank and his eyes had become glossy with tears that would not be spilled for her. Never. She had damaged him beyond her own comprehension and she knew.

The silence broken by a sigh of his and his head lowered. Did he want to hear what she had to say? He was not sure. Her words were often acidic, cold and meaningless. Almost like a soulless body, a walking corpse and he had fallen so many times for her sweet-talking and sugar-coating. Would he know better this time?

“Greed is what consumes me and what blinds me, but you are my all and those are honest words. Do not leave my side, I beg of you.”

His eyes shot up to meet her own and they were filled with anger. She dared. It was almost as if she was doing it on purpose, stepping on him and now begging him to stay so she could break him again but he was not foolish and he knew better than to crawl back like a marionette.

Time had long passed ever since the happening of his discovery and she had still followed close behind him, her pleas and apologies were now empty words to his ears — it did nothing to him and soon enough she would know. He would not let himself be brought down by anyone and he was satisfied he had been her downfall. His words had been left unspoken and silent but everyone knew of them and not a single soul dared to do the same. He would not go down, he was like a king.