Overheard

Overheard

“There’s no other way. Lee Seunghyun must die.”

On any other day, hearing and watching Bom’s pronouncement while she stuffed full with corn bread would have made Chaerin laugh. But not today. Today, she only blinked and stared at Bom. She was seriously contemplating making good of the her suggestion.

“Bomtaro, stop with this nonsense. Violence is never a solution. And stop speaking with your mouth full,” Dara said as she handed a tissue over to Bom gesturing towards the crumbs on her chin. 

They were in a cafe just a few blocks away from YGE Headquarters. Chaerin dragged Bom and Dara to ask for their counsel which was proving to be a more of a mistake than actual help.

“What’s wrong with my suggestion? I’m serious. If we sacrifice Seungri, Teddy will never know that how Chaerin's involved and she'll be off the hook. ” 

Chaerin’s rubbed her forehead as she thought of the mess she was in.

Damn it. Why did things get this complicated?

--
Earlier in the 2NE1 practice room...

Hmm, so the right foot goes here, a little sway of the hips over there and –

“Chaerin!”

Chaerin’s dance routine practice was interrupted as soon as she saw Seungri rushing towards her. He took her hand and pulled her outside of the room.

“Panda boy. What are you doing here? We have practice in a few minutes...Damn you look awful. What happened to your face?” 

Seungri’s lower lip was split with a bruise decorating its right side and his cheeks had something that looked suspiciously like hand prints in them. His hair was sticking in all directions like he just rolled out of bed and his usually immaculately pressed clothes were creased and rumpled. 

“Teddy hyung happened to my face.”

“Teddy oppa? What did you do to him?”

“Wrong question. It should be what did YOU, Lee Chaerin, say to him?” Seungri looked at her accusingly.

“What are you talking about? I didn’t say anything to him...Wait. Is he angry over... Crap! Don’t tell me he found out!” 

“, so it wasn’t you who told him? Damn it. He said he heard me talk to someone. I thought he was lying and you just told him about the photo.”

“Are you serious? I’m not stupid. Why would I even tell him? And you talked about our deal with someone else? What the hell Seungri, I thought I told you it’s our secret!” Chaerin could hear her voice go a pitch higher. 

“Never mind that. Just give me the photo. He wants it.”

“What do you mean never mind that? You went back on your word! You showed it to someone else? That photo is sacred! Private. Should have been for our eyes only!”

“Chaerin ah. Now isn’t the time to scold me. This is an emergency! You have to give it back to me now! Hyung will kill me if I don’t give him the photo.”

She felt like she just got splashed by ice cold water in the middle of winter. This was too much to take in. This is big trouble. 

Panic time. How was she supposed to explain this to Seungri. She had to tread lightly. 

“About the photo...”she cleared , “Panda, er, I mean Seungri...op..pa.”Damn ,it was hard to call the little turd oppa, “..uhm, I...I don’t have it.”

“What do you mean you don’t have it?! I gave it to you yesterday. You lost it, didn’t you?”

“No..... oppa, I didn’t exactly lose it. It’s just that, um, I don’t have it right now.” 

“, you’re calling me oppa! Something’s wrong in this picture. Yah, Chaerin! We’re recording again 
tomorrow! He’s gonna torture me even worse than he did today! ”

“I, I’m not sure if I could do give it tomorrow.”

“He’ll kill me! He’ll ing kill me if I don’t give it to him! Chaerin, you have to give it to me TOMORROW.” 

“Hey Panda boy, don’t pressure me,” she gritted her teeth. “I’m not the one who talked to other people about it. Its your own fault you got into trouble.”

“My own fault? Don’t you see what hyung did to me today?!” Seungri was getting hysterical. He looked desperate and he was already sobbing. He looked so pathetic she was about to feel sorry for him. But then, in a split second, a sinister gleam in his eyes replaced the tears, and he said. “Oh but Rin-rin, you know why I have that photo in the first place. Do you really want Teddy hyung to know what you’ve been up to...with me? If I'm going down, I'll take you with me.”

“Yah, Seungri. You . Stop threatening me and stop with that nickname! I’ll find a way to give it back to you before your next recording, ok?”

“Good. You got 24 hours.” He was about to leave but then looked back and said, “Give it back, for your sake and mine’s.”

Oh God. What will she do?

The last time she checked her room, the photo wasn’t there.

It was missing.

--

“I need that photo. Seungri will throw me under the bus if it means saving his sorry . He’ll tell Teddy everything!” 

“Chaerin, I hate to say this but you brought this on yourself. As for Seungri, Dalmatian is a much nicer nickname than panda anyway,” Bom insisted.

“Dalmatian? What are you even saying Bom unni?” 

“Well, by the time Teddy’s done with him, he’ll have polka dot-like bruises marking his skin forever. Hence Dalmatian Seungri! Don’t you think dogs are cuter than pandas? But humor me Chaerin, but why did you even ask Seungri to get the photo anyway?”

“You’re evil, unni! Seungri can be such an but I don’t want him to end up like that. And I told him I just wanted something of Teddy’s. I didn’t think Seungri would take it to mean that.”

“Chaerin ah, how did you word your request exactly?”

“I asked him to give me something private and personal of Teddy's. I told him a unique photo would be nice.”

“This is Seungri, Chaerin. Aside from being a guy, we’re talking about someone who thinks dancing in the club includes stripping and learning how to be y means going secretly to clubs to ‘observe’ women. In other words, Seungri's mind is permanently in the gutter,” Dara finally spoke up after she finished her carrot cake. 

“Dara you’re too nice. Chaerin, Seungri is sleazy. In his mind, private and personal photo means Teddy in his birthday suit. ” Bom said as she took another bite of her corn bread. 

“Yes, yes. But he’s still a sleaze who knows I saw that photo and he could potentially damage my budding romance with Teddy oppa.”

“ You did not just say ‘budding romance’, ” Bom looked at Chaerin questioningly.

“So? It’s perfect to describe mine and oppa’s relationship.” Chaerin smiled dreamily as she thought of Teddy's message last night. 

“Chaerin, that’s really cute and I know you’re practicing on your aegyo for Teddy. But being Seoul City’s baddest female and using words like budding romance don’t really don’t mesh well. You sound like an ahjumma. So, maybe you could think of something else.” Dara advised.

“But I can’t think of anything else more perfect,” Chaerin insisted

“Dara’s right. Leave the ahjumma tendencies to her,” Bom interjected.

“Hey, I don’t sound like an ahjumma.”

“Oh yeah. I forgot, you don’t only sound like an ahjumma, you also move like one. How many times did Chaerin here leave you in the dust while jogging or just plain walking?”

“Yah, if I’m an ahjumma, then you’re halmoni Bom. You don’t even jog.”

“Ah, ssantoki, what would happen if I tried? I’d be too perfect. You can’t handle it. The world can't handle a y Bom jogging. And Chaerin, seriously. For someone who writes rap lyrics, why can’t you come up with something cooler and not from some dated romance novel?” 

“Writing rap, that’s different. That’s CL-me not Chaerin-me. You guys know how my stage and real persona are different.”

“Yes, we know. But that’s on a need to know basis for the rest of the world. And we’re out here in a coffee shop to talk about this little ‘problem’ of yours, remember? Away from people at YG? Where anyone can hear you? It’s so awkward to hear you say stuff like that. And speaking of the problem, what are you going to do about it?” Bom asked.

“I don’t know! That’s why I’m asking for your help!” 

“Wait, do you remember where you last saw the photo?” Dara asked.

“Yes! I told you this a while ago! Weren’t you listening?” Chaerin was exasperated. Why were her unnis so absent minded?

“Did you?” Dara’s brow furrowed as she seemed to try and recall. 

“Ssantoki, that was the time you were staring at Mr. Cute’s , ” Bom said with a wink.

“What are you talking about? I’m wasn't -”

“It was a fine and I don’t blame you. But you were so obvious, I was surprised the guy didn’t turn around coz his was on fire. Your eyes were like laser beams.”

“ What, I’m just –“ Dara blushed profusely as she tried to explain.

“Oh stop denying it. This is us you’re talking to. We know how boy crazy you can get. If only those admirers of yours who keep professing their love in public would get the balls to confess personally, then you won’t be – “

“ Hey, its Ssabu-ssi!”

“! Where?! Hide the bread!” 

Bom took the basket of cornbread at their table and slid it hurriedly inside her bag.

“Hahahaha. You should have seen yourself. Panicking over the bread. No, Ssabu ssi isn't here. He's with his kids today. They have that family trip remember?”

Bom glared at Dara,“That wasn’t funny. And I was only telling the truth.”

Chaerin had enough of the messing around and exclaimed frustratedly, “Yah, unnies! Can we go back on track now? My problem? Hello? This is a crisis remember?”

“ Ok, ok. We understand. So where is this photo again?” Dara asked for the second time.

“I slipped behind the jacket of that blu ray disc – the one I borrowed from you. The one where the woman dies and then the guy asks for a second chance but in the end it’s the guy that dies? I can’t find it now!”

“Oh do you mean If Only? I gave it to Youngbae. He loves that movie,” Dara replied.

“If it’s his favorite shouldn’t he have his own?” Bom asked.

“He saw mine and asked if he could borrow. It’s in blu-ray and it’s got bonus scenes. Just gave it to him instead. Not like I watch it anyway.”

“Youngbae is such a girl. Between him, Jiyong and Seungri, they’d build a library full of those romance stuff they’re so fond of watching. Minji said that the last time she watched TV with them they were sighing over reruns of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. I heard that even Seunghyun has gotten addicted into watching them. Hmm, if Youngbae has it, do you think he’s seen the photo yet?” asked Bom.

“Don’t think so. Youngbae doesn’t really care much about the covers of dvds unless it’s a music cd with lyrics and stuff.”

“Wait if Youngbae-ssi has it... I can get it back! You can get it back. Ssantoki! ” 

Chaerin was getting optimistic. At least now she knew where the photo was.

“Uh Chaerin. I’m not sure. Youngbae's weird about his things.And he's even weirder lately. He keeps on cracking those weird jokes and it’s been hard to rope him into decent conversation. And he’ll definitely know something's up and he'll ask. I’m horrible at lying.” Dara replied.

"Do you think he's back in his dorm? Maybe we can talk to him and ask for it back. I'm sure Youngbae ssi will be nice and give it back."

" Damn, I forgot Chaerin isn't that close with Youngbae," Bom said while looking in Dara's direction. She glanced over to Chaerin and continued, "You clearly don't know how possessive Youngbae can get about his things. No one and I mean no one save probably for Jiyong touches his stuff. Why do you think no one borrows stuff from him?"

"Uhm, the height difference?" Chaerin said cheekily.
"Oh yeah. that too. But really, he's going to grill us before we can get it back. The last time Dara borrowed a hat from him, he asked for her entire schedule for the day, who she was with, what she'll be eating and he kept on texting us asking if his hat's ok. "
"But ssantoki was the one who gave him.."

"Chaerin, the key word is gave . It's his now."

"Damn it. Then I'm doomed. Seungri's doomed. My dreams of having little Teddys and Chaerins can never materialize!"

"Oh my goodness. Stop being so melodramatic. I have an idea." Bom said as she stood up.

"I don't like that look Bom taro. What are you plotting?" Dara asked as she gathered her things.

"Oh, this is a good one. Trust me. Let's go ladies!"

Chaerin could only shake her head and follow as Dara and Bom started to make their exit out of the cafe. Whatever Bom's idea was, she hoped it worked. Otherwise, she's dead meat.