Chapter 14

Unseen

Lordy, this whole story is 70 pages long in word >< Sorry for the delayed update. I've been uninspired and unhappy lately. I'm also feeling super guilty, I started a story almost two years ago and havent updated it since then T_T

 

After a long pause and the awkward exchange of glances Chaelin broke the silence, “we-well, how far along are you? Couldn’t you, you know?”

“Oh, no,” Bom shook her head, “I couldn’t. Why should the child pay for the father’s mistakes? I could never rob this child of a future because I was immature and too blind to see Ru taking advantage of me.”

“Or because it’s father is a psychopath,” Minzy chimed in, happy with her clever snap.

Bom sighed and half-heartedly nodded, “besides, by the time I’ll be due, I’ll have already graduated.”

The other two girls looked at each other uneasily, concerned Bom was still disillusioned with her situation. Raising a child isn’t an easy task, nor a short lived one, was she really aware of what she was getting into?

“But, Bom, that’s an awful lot of responsibility. Especially right out of high school. H-how do you plan on affording… it?”

The girl fiddled with her fingers, “things will sort themselves out, somehow.”

“You’re very serious about this aren’t you?” Minzy scoffed lightly.

“Wouldn’t you be?”

Minzy shrugged and cast an uninterested glance towards the window. How could she possibly relate to anything Bom was chattering on about. She felt a sudden, sharp slap on her thigh and an angry Chaelin glaring at her.

“Taking away the disturbing parts of this equation, imagine never being able to be with the person you care about.”

She felt a twinge in her heart as Jiyong’s stupid smiling face popped into her mind.

Chaelin continued, “and the only connection you will have to that person is the being growing inside of you.”   

The dark haired girl grumbled, “I-I get it. To an extent, I get it.”

“Good,” Chaelin smiled and sat back, “so don’t be bitter.”

“It’s ok, Chaelin,” Bom hummed regretfully, “I don’t expect kindness from either of you. I appreciate you letting me calm myself here, though.”

She smoothed her hands over her pants before she turned towards the door. Minzy could tell by her stride, the girl was not all right, probably close to another spell of tears. Sighing, Minzy fought to think rationally. Surely this situation wasn’t Bom’s fault, and as stupid as she thought the girl might be, what she needed was sympathy and friends, not someone blaming her.

“Don’t be ubsurd,” Minzy took a deep breath, “you’re in no condition to go outside.”

“Come sit back down,” Chaelin gripped Minzy’s arm gently to show her support, it took a lot of strength for her to do that. While Bom returned to her seat Minzy curled back up into her cocoon blanket, signaling the end of her participation for the moment.

Awkward silence.

“Sooo…How far along are you any way?”

 

~Roughly Three Months Later~

 

“Gaining some weight there, Bom?” A girl snickered as she passed by the brunette. Since her former boyfriend’s arrest she’d gotten a lot of from her classmates. So far it was only snide comments and rude notes, but it was only a matter of time until she started really showing and news of her pregnancy got out. Unitl then, this was just practice for things to come. Hardening her to more vicious attacks.

“Back off you stick,” Chaelin growled, bolting up beside Bom. Throughtout this whole ordeal Chaelin had somehow become mama bear for Bom and Minzy. They were her cubs and she was going to destroy anyone who threatened them.

Minzy stood behind Chaelin, quiet, as usual. She wasn’t happy about the situation, but she’d rather be in company with Bom than be alone. And, honestly, it wasn’t so bad most of the time. As long as she didn’t think about… what connected them.

She shook her head, pulling herself out of the daze and yanked on Chaelin and Bom’s shirts, “come on. Ignore her.”

Chaelin narrowed her eyes before turning on her heel and dragging the other two with her. She wasn’t nearly as strong as Minzy or Bom; her anger was stronger than any other emotion. She stomped furiously back to Minzy’s house, all the while the other girls in tow.

Finally in the privacy of Minzy’s house Bom let loose, she would never show her weakness out there, but the people right here knew exactly how she felt.

She screamed. Cried. Until there was nothing left.

Minzy sat beside her, gently holding her hand. This was the moment they best shared; Minzy knew exactly how she felt and couldn’t be upset at someone so pitiful. There was nothing anyone could do to ease the pain. Nothing at all.

 

~~

For the most part Jiyong avoided bothering Minzy too much, but it was torturous for him. He missed her, wanted to comfort her and tell her everything was going to be all right. But just a touch might set her off and make her hate him forever. It had been almost two weeks since Jiyong last saw her and it was driving him crazy.

He knocked on the door and almost instantly Seunghyun opened it. The man’s face was blank with a momentary flicker of a smile, “come on in. But be quiet.”

The girls were in the living room; Chaelin was watching TV while Bom and Minzy were bundled up together on the couch, sleeping. Chaelin glanced away from the TV to wave at the blonde.

Seunghyun pulled Jiyong into a different room. “How is she?” he asked.

“She’s…. she’s alright. They are finally getting along a little better,” Seunghyun smiled ruefully, “Bom had a bad day.”

Jiyong grumbled, “Minzy is too close to her.”

“If she can get over it, so should you,” Seunghyun smacked Jiyong on the back of the head, “she is a sweet girl, though not so bright, and she isn’t responsible for what happened. Understand?”

“Urg,” Jiyong rubbed his head, “I’ll try. But it’s hard to do so if I’m never here.

Seunghyun pursed his lips, “I guess it’s been… alright, as long as Minzy allows it. It might be good for her to get back into a normal routine.”

Jiyong stooped down in front of Minzy, still sleeping on the couch, and put his hand on top of hers. The girl’s eyes snapped open, wild with worry for a moment until she saw Jiyong. Her face softened and he saw the faintest whisper of a smile sweep across her face.

Minzy ran her hand across his cheek, “hey boy, what are you doing here?”

“Came to see my favorite girl,” he grinned and kissed the back of her hand, “how are you doing?”

 

 

~~

Minzy shakily pulled herself up from the witness stand and walked back to the benches, keeping her eyes glued to the ground. She slid back into her seat between Jiyong and Bom. It had already been a little over seven months since he’d been arrested but reliving those memories was still torturous for her. Time had helped mend her invisible wounds, but the trial was not helping the healing process.

The jury deliberated for a long time due to the number of complainants and charges against him. Two other cases matched his DNA and the girls involved filed charges. The jury finally filed out and the foreman read out their decision.

“On the first count of ual assault in the first degree against Lina Porter, how does the jury find?”

“We find the defendant, Ru Huan, guilty.”   

“On the second count of ual assault in the first degree against Riley Reyes, how does the jury find?”

“We find the defendant, Ru Huan, guilty.”

“On the third count of ual assault in the first degree against Bom Park, how does the jury find?”

  “We find the defendant, Ru Huan, not guilty.”

Minzy felt Bom stiffen beside her and the girl muttered to herself, “sure, not guilty for the pregnant girl. Didn’t see that coming.”

“On the fourth, and final count of ual assault in the first degree against Minzy Gong, how does the jury find?”

“We find the defendant, Ru Huan, guilty.”

The judge paused for a moment before going onto the second set of charges, “on the sole count of in the first degree against Riley Reyes, how does the jury find?

“We find the defendant, Ru Huan, not guilty.”

“And on the sole count of statutory against Minzy Gong, how does the jury find?”

“We find the defendant, Ru Huan, guilty.”

“The court thanks you for your service and dismisses you. The defendant will return for sentencing in one week.”

Minzy sat glued to her seat, was it really over? She glanced towards the blonde who still had that smirk plastered on his face while two court marshals handcuffed him and pulled back into booking.

Justice. Sweet, sweet justice.

Something pulled at her core, worrisome, frightening, unsettling.

How long would he be in jail for?

Years? Or more like months? Weeks?

She shuttered and clutched Jiyong’s leg while her mind was filled with horrifying thoughts.