[Book 1] District 1

[ON-HIATUS] Heartbreaks and Survival: The 74th Hunger Games Tributes' Accounts

Book 1 | Before the Games
District 1 Tributes' Accounts


Chapter 1
"Do You Think I Can Enter The Games?"


District 1, or the Luxury District, is the wealthiest district in all of Panem. Considered as one of the Career Districts, it is normal for them to volunteer as tribute, since it is an honor to fight for the Games and to win the title of the Last Tribute Standing.
 
As the upcoming annual Hunger Games is drawing near, a tall boy, probably around 15 or 16, has been training so hard to fight for the Games. It has been his dream to fight, and to volunteer is his goal. Ever since he was 12, he wanted to show the world that he can be as tough as the tributes he previously watched.
 
He zipped up his training suit and advanced to the hand-to-hand combat station of their training center. It is illegal to train for the Games, but not for the Career Districts. He then faced a dark faced boy, probably around 17 or 18, and positioned for the combat.
 
"I hope you learned your skills, Siwon," he taunted as he stretched his arm. The boy named Siwon just smiled and bent his knees for position. He smirked, "I'm not afraid of you, Seungri." The opponent, who was named Seungri, nodded and waited for the trainer's signal.
 
"Three, two, one, fight!" the trainer signaled as Siwon charged towards Seungri and flipped him over. The latter is not the kind of trainee who would easily give up, so he stood up and tackled the younger from his back. Seungri is not that heavy, so Siwon immediately carried him and spinned him around like a propeller.
 
As he placed him down, the older was a little dizzy, but still managed to attack Siwon again and trap his head in his arms. "Give up already, Siwon. I know you can't do this," he taunted as Siwon tried to catch his breath inside Seungri's powerful force. But the former is not the one who should give up also, so he flipped Seungri again and pinned him down on the ground, twisting his right arm before the trainer stopped the game.
 
Siwon stood up immediately and stared at the older. "Hope you enjoyed the fight, Seungri," he said and walked away from the station, leaving a smiling Seungri as he tried to sit up. "The kid is ready," he mumbled under his breath as drops of sweat fell from his black locks.
 
--
 
Meanwhile in the other station, a young boy, also have the same age as Siwon, was busy with the knots station. He made excellent loose knots, but he's an expert when it comes to traps. He tightened the last knot from the trap and smiled as he stood back.
 
"Now that's one amazing trap," the trainer said as he stared at the trap Kibum made. The younger smiled, "Thanks. Do you think I'm already ready for the Games?"
 
The trainer nodded and turned to him, "I think you're absolutely ready." Kibum looked down and fiddled with his fingers, "I'm already thinking if I should volunteer or not."
 
"Well, if you're ready deep inside, then volunteer. Besides, there are no other tributes who can make excellent knots like you," the trainer complimented as he fixed his station's table. Kibum just nodded and continued staring at his knot. Yes, he can make knots, but with the others, well, not really.
 
The younger likes to do these, but he can't really do other stuff like the hand-to-hand combat. He likes to use weapons also, but the spear is his only companion. He then looked at his left, and saw that the weaponry's station is empty, so he ran to that place and trained with a spear.
 
He's not really a strong-built boy. He's not that thin also, maybe he's okay for his age. He has a fair complexion, and his hair is always short. He doesn't like to mingle, but rather wants to be alone. It's unsual to see him be with his boyfriend - yes, you heard it right, boyfriend - since he's the only one who can show him his real side.
 
He picked out one of the sharpest spears found at the weaponry station, and found one dummy which is not yet used. He went to it from a far distance, and immediately threw it at a quick speed. The trainer was quite impressed with his throw, so she clapped in amazement.
 
"Nicely done," she complimented as she walked towards his place to take a good look at it, "and it aimed at the stomach." Kibum smiled a little, since his goal was to aim the heart.
 
"Do you think I'm ready for the games?" he asked as he looked at the trainer. She thought for a second, placing a strand of his brownish hair behind her ear, and nodded, "I guess you're ready. Besides, aiming the stomach is much more easier than aiming the heart, you know."
 
Kibum sighed and looked at the aim that he did. Well, I guess I'm ready for the Games, he thought as he walked away from the station.
 
--
 
"So I heard you battled Seungri-hyung at the hand-to-hand combat," Kibum asked Siwon as he packed his bag inside the center's lockers. Siwon proudly nodded, "Yup! And he thought I was a dummy." The two of them chuckled as Siwon said those words. Siwon then looked at his silent lover, and smiled a little.
 
"Hyung? What's wrong? Is there something in my face?" Kibum asked as he noticed his lover's stare. He immediately wiped his face but Siwon said no. "I'm just glad we're together, Bummie. It's kind of unusual for kids like us to be lovers," the older said as he walked to his place.
 
Kibum just nodded and sighed. It is unusual, since the kids' reason to live in District 1 is to train, volunteer, and win the Games. It's more important than having a lovelife. He looked at him again, and he felt safe. Whenever Siwon is around, he feels like this. His strong-built muscles make him more likeable from the girl trainees, but he always turn them down.
 
The trainings were worth it, as Siwon gained abs. Meanwhile, Kibum is stuck with knots and spears. The both of them would always do the same whenever they train, and dislike to try something new since these are their interests.
 
"Siwon-ah?" Kibum called out as the both of them exited the center. Siwon turned to him with a concerned look, "Waeyo?" If Kibum calls him like that, then there's only one thing that means: he's serious. The older then looked for his water bottle at the side of his bag to have a drink, while Kibum played with his fingers/
 
"Do you think I can enter the Games now?" he asked as Siwon stopped drinking. He turned again to him and sighed, "If you're ready, then I'm also ready."
 
Kibum was confused. Sure, his boyfriend is ready for this, but for him, it's not. He already strong, and can obviously kill the half of the tributes in one day. But why is he saying that he's not ready?
 
"You're not ready?" he asked as he gave him a confused look. Siwon just sighed and held his water bottle, "You always think that I can do this, right? And I can win the Games. But there's something that makes me weak, and that is when I see you. You're my only one, Kibum, and you know that. If I see you enter the Games with an unsteady look, then I'll sacrifice my life. The most painful thing in being the strongest is seeing my love in pain."
 
Kibum bit his lip. Is that how much he loves him? He has given so much for him, and yet this is him not doing anything. "Kibum, if you think you're a nothing to me, then think again. You are my everything. I'm thankful that I have you. I will do anything just to make you safe," Siwon said as he placed his hands on his boyfriend's broad shoulders.
 
"Saranghae," the younger mumbled as tears starts to fall from his eyes. Siwon hugged him tight and whispered in his ear, "Nado saranghae."