Namjoo

The Silent Tale

 

Chanyeol stopped where he was at her loud scream and stared at her wide eyed. Namjoo shook her head and he saw tears emerge in her eyes and it hurt him all the more.

“Namjoo,” he called out as he leaned toward her.

“Stay away!” Namjoo screamed again, but he grabbed her hand even as she tugged away until he won over.

A loud sob fell out of her lips as her chin landed against his shoulder.

“It’s ok, it’s ok,” he comforted tightly hugging her.

When she withdrew from him he raised his hand up to wipe the tears off her face. He’d missed her so much. Chanyeol found himself staring into her face infatuated again by all the feelings he had for her. He wanted to travel back in time to when they were just starting to get to know each other. Chanyeol wanted her shy gazes again and how his heart fluttered when their hands brushed.

“If I can’t come back,” Namjoo’s voice shook, “please kill me.”

All thoughts of the past immediately flew away and Chanyeol became almost stupefied before he shook his head in refusal. No, he wouldn’t do it. He couldn’t hurt her. But it was too late.

Namjoo’s head shot back and she let out a deafening taunting scream as her fingers arched out and her body flew up vertically. Namjoo shot out cries of pain as she deliriously kicked about.

“Namjoo! Namjoo!” Chanyeol screamed before she suddenly fell onto the ground with a heavy thud.

For a long moment Namjoo barely budged. Then very slowly she rose; first with her back to him and her long hair falling to the side. It looked like she was waking up from sleep.

What was going on? Was Namjoo…ok?

“Namjoo?” Chanyeol whispered.

Her hand swung out at him when she turned around and he was sent spiraling through the air until he crashed into the wall of the far end. Namjoo had just gotten up when he pulled himself together and watched her reach a hand out to touch the seals on the door. A spark shocked her hand before she widened her eyes and the doors suddenly flung open.

The shaman flew down from the roof in front of her wielding his sword in threat before plunging it through her stomach.

“No!!” Chanyeol screamed pulling himself up to his feet, but failed when the throbbing of his body prohibited him from doing so.

He fell onto a knee and watched Namjoo send the shaman flying off before cursing, , and heavily grunting as if mentally ill. Namjoo pulled the sword out of her as if it didn’t pain her at all and took a few quick steps forward before she flew off into midair.

Suddenly realizing the urgency of the matter he forced himself up and wobbled toward the door.

“Are you all right?” he helped pull the shaman up.

The shaman shook his head and pointed to his long sword, “Strike it through her heart. I couldn’t do it the last time around. The spirit will never come back if you can kill it under the full moon.”

Chanyeol’s head swiveled to the side where the long silver sword was sitting underneath the hue of the moon. A black cloud was hovering around the moon and cast a dark shadow over Chanyeol as he battled his inner thoughts for the rights of what to do.

How could he ever raise a sword to her!?

He loved Namjoo with all his heart. Why did he need to sacrifice one for the other? It broke his heart into so many pieces and he would never be able to forgive himself for doing this. But…there had to be some other way to rid of the evil spirit. If he fought her…maybe he could take the spirit away…

Grabbing the sword he dashed off into the distance.

;~;~;~;~;~;

A pool of black lie before Namjoo and she could taste blood under her fingers as she flew over the heavy iron gates of the palace.

This was where it would all end.

She landed on the palace grounds with soft feet and stared into the room brightly lit just before her. A glow of light resonated through the paper windows before she held her palm out and the doors swung open.

A superior hall stood in front of her with long red poles on each opposite side. This was the king and the queen’s personal room that connected to their bedroom.

“What is this!?” the king demanded walking toward her. “Guards!”

“What’s going on?” the queen questioned stepping down from the stairs to their room before halting in her steps.

A gasp of fear dropped from her lips when she saw the blood stain on Namjoo’s robe.

Namjoo slightly turned her head to look back when she heard rushed footsteps of a dozen men. Twisting around she jumped back into the king’s personal room and sent a guard flying back. The shout of a guard caught her attention and Namjoo turned in time to dodge the attacking spear. Grabbing the sharp end of the spear she tugged it forward before pushing it back into the soldier’s abdomen. He belted out a weak cry before falling to the ground.

Then twisting around held out her palm. A seismic wave of energy forced the soldier running at her back into the standing red pole before she sent the rest of the guards flying in opposite directions. A wave of wind rushed at her and her long hair flew back as she turned to look at the king who had gotten his sword.

“Who are you?” the king demanded.

“Hypocrites, hypocrites, hypocrites! Your kingdom is doomed to fall!” a low voice growled out from her as she flew at the king and swung her hand out at him.

The king was sent flying back with the queen screaming where she stood. Now defenseless Namjoo turned to her first. She shot her hand out to strangle the queen, but was thrown back when someone grabbed the back of her robe. Namjoo landed on her back with a surprise before Chanyeol swerved around to stare at her.

A grunt bellowed out of Namjoo before she flew up to her feet and hit Chanyeol across the face, which sent him flying into one of the red beam poles. He fell down onto the floor with a thud, but quickly forced himself back up regardless of any broken bones. Annoyed, Namjoo reached down for a blade and threw it up just in time as Chanyeol ran at her.

“Get out of her right now!” Chanyeol screamed fighting to keep the sword from edging any closer to him.

All he saw was the thick anger gathered in Namjoo’s face. The spirit was strong and determined to win him out. With a loud heave and push Namjoo shoved him back before kicking him. Chanyeol was sent sprawling against the ground and knocked his back into the wall. Never minding him Namjoo turned back to the screaming queen.

“Don’t touch her!” the king shouted as he ran toward her and his sword out.

An agonizing shout descended from her as the blade slit her across the waist. Her body was oozing too much blood and if she continued to bleed anymore she wouldn’t be able to fight even if she obtained full power. Angry she threw her arms out and screamed before a burst of energy flowed out from her, and anyone standing was sent flying.

She needed to absorb the moonlight in open grounds and the palace was not the place for it. Turning around she dashed off into midair.

;~;~;~;~;~;

Chanyeol was unable to get up. The pain he was experiencing was too great. Using the sword as leverage he forced himself up to see the king walking toward him.

“General, what are you doing here?” the king asked.

Chanyeol glanced into the king’s face and suddenly recalled the palace soldier that had come for Namjoo. He felt fury fly through him. There was no one he could trust.

“Which soldier did you send to my home?” Chanyeol interrogated.

The king slightly narrowed his eyes, “What are you talking about?”

“You sent a soldier to my home, did you not, your Majesty?!”

“I have not done so!”

Chanyeol heaved an angry breath and glanced around the room at the soldiers on the ground before turning to glare at the king. Everything had been so right before. So what had gone so wrong? Why had this happened to him? Why had this happened to his wife?

Turning around with nothing more to say he left the palace and grabbed a horse on his way. He needed to search for Namjoo. There was no possibility about what would happen if he couldn’t find her past tonight. He wanted Namjoo safe; he wanted her back in his arms.

The dark trees of the night passed him by like empty soldiers on standby and the full moon overhead followed like a guide. He could hear nothing but the hooves of the horse pounding against the ground. Where would Namjoo run to in this forest? Where was she headed?

Chanyeol rode for minutes on end until he spotted dark speckles on the ground. Blood. Then he lifted his head up and saw a tiny trail marked by the same dark speckles.

She was here!

His heart started racing and he jumped down from the horse before running into the distance. Chanyeol was running out of breath when he finally stopped by a large fat tree and turned his head when he heard rushing water nearby.

Why had she gone back to the ravine?

He skidded to a quick halt when he saw Namjoo standing not too far away from him. She had her back to him and her arms were slightly sprawled out. A tiny gust of wind blew by before she slowly turned around to stare him. The paleness of her skin made her look much different from the wife he knew her to be. Her loose hair trailed loosely around her as if expressing the fury she had within.

Namjoo’s eyes opened even wider and he saw the grayness of her eyes before she let out a droning scream all too terrifying for him. Chanyeol’s eyes slightly closed to block the dirty leaves flying toward him before he held both arms in front of him to keep him grounded. The wind was pushing him back and he could feel his shoes skidding into the dirt before he flew backward and slammed into a tree.

Blood lit his lips when he landed on the ground and he almost barely got up if it weren’t for the sword he was using to leverage himself. A gasp fell out of his lips and he looked up to see Namjoo staring at him.

“No one will stop me from destroying the kingdom!” the low voice growled out of Namjoo before she charged at him.

Chanyeol lifted his head up and watched Namjoo wave her arm out and sent him flying back even further. A moan echoed from him and he felt a rush of pain contract inside his chest. He couldn’t get up. He couldn’t get up! And that made his mind panic the most.

He couldn’t give up. Not until the spirit left Namjoo. Chanyeol wouldn’t lose this fight.

Forcing determination into him he grounded the sword against the floor of the forest before pulling himself up onto his legs. His hands shook with the effort and he thought his legs wouldn’t be able to hold him anymore. Chanyeol slightly leaned back against the trunk of the tree unaware of the flute that had fallen out of his clothes.

“Give Namjoo back!” he screamed from the top of his lungs as she flew up before him.

The wind made her robes flutter in the wind and he saw nothing, but rage and grudges locked into her evil eyes. In a spilt second Namjoo swirled down at him and Chanyeol lifted the sword up on instinct and closed his eyes shut. Seconds later he felt a heavy weight against the sword along with a piercing noise. Warm drops of liquid landed against his face and all became silent.

The wind continued to howl inside his ears, but he could hear or feel no more rage. The dampening hue of the moon lit his face and the liquid on his face slowly trickled down. It was moist and kind of warm.  

When he opened his eyes he saw Namjoo dangling against the sword before she slowly started falling. His heart cried out in pain and he pulled the sword back before Namjoo fell against him. Her hands grabbed onto his shoulders and he thought about the time when he’d spun her around after asking her, “Will you marry me?” to which she’d nodded. She had held him the same way when he lifted her up.

Echoing pain crushed his soul and he heard Namjoo gasp agonizingly into his ear.

“Noo…” he cried.

Her hands slowly slipped off his shoulders as her body slid toward the ground. Every second that swept by sent swirling amounts of massive desperation through him.

This couldn’t be happening…this couldn’t be happening…

And when Namjoo dropped onto the floor her hand fell against the blade beside her. A dying scream of the spirit pierced the air before a blow of force suddenly tossed Namjoo up into the air away from him. She landed into the river ravine with a loud splash that coursed through his ears.   

“Namjoo! Namjoo!” Chanyeol deliriously screamed before crawling forward and forced his weak legs up before he ran and jumped into the water after her. “Namjoo! Namjoo!”

He could see his wife’s body floating along with the strenuous waves and fought against the waves to reach her. Reaching an arm out a minute later he grasped onto her sleeve before pulling her to him. Namjoo was drenched and cold. Her eyes were barely open and her head hung about lazily before he put a hand at the back of her head to hold her against his chest.

“Namjoo,” he cried and felt the tears fall repeatedly. “Namjoo…”

He couldn’t afford to lose her. Not at this point in life. He still had so much he wanted to do with her. They hadn’t even had the chance to do anything…

Why!?

Namjoo breathed weakly before she opened her eyes to look at him. They sparkled prettily against her pale skin and he couldn’t look away. The seconds that passed by were so silent he almost couldn’t even hear the waves splashing, roaring. When Namjoo finally smiled at him he felt a sob release itself from his throbbing chest.

“Thank you,” she almost whispered.

Chanyeol turned to look around for a way out before he felt Namjoo tug at his clothes.

Namjoo gestured her head repeatedly to the side and he didn’t know what she meant until she said, “Let me go.”

Chanyeol shook his head and in a desperate act tried to apply pressure to her bleeding chest where he’d struck her.

“Stay with me,” he momentarily sobbed, “you have to stay with me.”

Her head bobbed against his chest and smiled at his futile efforts. Chanyeol sobbed even more when Namjoo began closing her eyes on him.

“Namjoo, Namjoo,” he cried hoping hearing him would keep her awake. “Why won’t it stop bleeding!?”

Chanyeol cried frustrated at the blood that kept flowing out of her chest even as he pressed his hand against it. Then he turned to look at Namjoo who looked like she was sleeping in his arms so normally.

“Namjoo! Namjoo!” Chanyeol called loudly.

Her eyes opened and she looked up at him. She smiled again and said very quietly, “You’re so handsome.”

Another sob fell from his lips and he hugged her tightly before he fought against the currents in order to make it to the shore that was so far away. Namjoo’s head lightly dropped against his chest and he turned to look at her before heaving a loud cry. And when he turned he saw the drop to the waterfall.

This was it. He was prepared to die with her.

Clamping his eyes shut he hugged her close and felt cold air fly against their bodies before they plunged into the deep lake below.

Everything was dark and dead. Chanyeol had never known such silence before. He felt his arms fly around before he eventually opened his eyes. There was nothingness around him before the figure in front of him slowly became more vivid. Namjoo’s long hair flowed beautifully underneath the water and he finally recognized her touch as her hands sat on his arms.

Chanyeol stared at her infatuated before his eyes fell down to her precious lips and closed his eyes when she moved forward to kiss him. Warmth flooded him. This was right, so right.

Then Namjoo slowly let go of him and stared at him for a few seconds before smiling sweetly. Chanyeol didn’t know what was going on. In his mind’s eye he could see her shyly gifting him a new pair of socks. Or how timid she had been when he’d came to her rescue upon their first meeting. He had thought about her so much he couldn’t resist the temptation until he went back to visit her. And Namjoo had turned out to be as lovely as he’d imagined.

Namjoo reached out her hand to rest it on the side of his face before she stared into his eyes.

“Goodbye,” she mouthed and Chanyeol suddenly woke up from his hypnosis.

Namjoo tried to pull away, but he tightened his grip on her and shook his head in utmost refusal. He was crying, but his tears weren’t there. His soul was being crushed, but he couldn’t see it. The whole weight of his body was becoming lifeless, but he could only know it.  

Why was this happening!?

He was frustrated, hurt, and felt betrayed by all existence.

Chanyeol continued shaking his head and tried to stop the bleeding from her chest again before Namjoo shook her head telling him he could no longer do anything. A sob escaped him. Why couldn’t he do anything for her?

His lips trembled when he looked at her and tightened his grip on her hand. He wouldn’t let her go. He didn’t want to live without her. Chanyeol only wanted to be with her even in death.

With a last push from her he felt his hand fly free and an invisible force push him farther away from her. With a last effort Chanyeol reached his hand out for her, but Namjoo was already starting to drift toward the bottom of the lake. And he watched for a long time sobbing and crying as she disappeared very slowly…and it broke his heart so many times.

The kingdom fell to the Mongolians a few months later and Chanyeol left his post as a general. After returning to the hut he stayed with Namjoo’s grandma until she passed away. Every day he would spend hours playing sorrowful tunes from his bamboo flute and cry by the river.

Chanyeol knew Namjoo could hear him and hoped that when she heard him she would wait for him until they could be together again. And it broke his heart everyday about how justice had never served them right.

Yet, because Namjoo had wanted him to live he’d live until old age took him. And then, they would finally be able to be together. And he would be able to do so much more for her then.

Chanyeol would see her lovely smile again and he couldn’t wait to reunite with his beloved wife.

Back to present…

Tears swept my face as I close the book. I am appalled by the story. It had been such a tragic event that had taken place. I can’t imagine how he even lived on after what happened. Everything had been so unfair just because of one grudging spirit.

Lee Ji Hyun must have been so captivated and touched by the story she’d thought to write it down. How proud she would be if she knew the story had traveled over centuries.

And I suddenly begin to understand why grandma had said the living has to keep moving on. Grandpa must have found it important for her to keep living and she’d done it for him. The power of love suddenly seems much greater than what I’ve ever thought.

Realizing that I won’t be able to stop thinking about how sad the story was I immediately close it.

Setting the book back into the box I turn around when the door opens.

“Honey, lunch is downstairs,” my mom says.

“What are you looking at?” my dad asks.

I look down at the box thinking of the beautifully woven tale I’ve just known. Why had grandma kept the box to herself? Why had I found it?

“I think…grandma wanted me to keep the box.”

My dad raises his eyebrow at me before putting a hand on my mom’s shoulder.

“All right then, but come down and eat while the food’s still fresh.”

I watch as my parents turn to walk away before I turn to stare at the wooden box. And suddenly I realize my parents both take the same names as the people I’ve just been introduced to in this silent tale.

“Wait! Mom! Dad!” I scream as I chase after them. “Has grandma ever told you a story about…”

My voice trails on, but the story ends here.  


***And you know what? I did end up listening to the bamboo flute while writing this story. It's a beautiful instrument and releases such sorrowful sounds ;A; I mostly listened to these two. Ugh...I think I'll download these songs into my phone so I can listen to them hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-5qhNRmMilI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WNjccR1lAFM

***Goodbye for now! I'll see you in 3 Ways! And maybe my next oneshot!