Memory

Movie Reel of Life

 

Sehun’s life flashes before him. Not quite flash but it plays in slow motion, every detail of every tiny event in high definition. He is watching a movie, starring himself. He sees his first memories as a child, playing with his first ever toy car, the slam of the door when his father left the family once and for all, the tears of his mother every night for months to come, the bullies who surround him during recess for his meager lunch money, the disappointment in his teacher’s eyes when he flunked his graduating examinations and the arrival of that person that changed his miserable life. That person by the name of Park Chanyeol. 

He smiles inwardly when his memory rewinds to their first encounter, with awkward greetings and shy conversations. It continues to their first date, when they went to the roof and watched the night turn into day while sharing the most intimate moments and stories of themselves, his head nestled safely in Chanyeol’s arms. Every kiss, every hug they shared feels too real and vivid to be a memory playing on screen. Then it fast forwards to the day when he finally found a job of his liking and brought home his first ever paycheck. The joy he felt when his life was finally on track overwhelms him, even as a piece of memory.

He watches as his life unfolds before him. The final scene draws near. He sees the flashing of green traffic lights, hears the deafening honks and the panic in the driver’s eyes as he freezes in his tracks. He sees the cake he held in his hands suspend in the air and he realizes he is flying too. Only he had no wings to catch him as he fell back to the grasp of gravity.

The flim stops abruptly. The lights in the theatre seem to have flickered back on, and they are too bright. Sehun struggles to adjust and he sees the frame froze permanently at the scene with him sprawled on the cold, hard asphalt ground. Everything hurts and he cannot think beyond the excruciating pain. He tries to focus, tuning out the anxious shouts for ambulance and police and his own labored breaths. He laments at how short the movie is when he realizes the movie is his life. He is dying.  He tries again and again to say something, anything. He is mentally screaming, “Someone tell Chanyeol I can’t make it to his birthday.” But he could not.

White spots appear in his vision and they blind him with their brightness. He catches sight of the man he loved dearly running towards him. He barely makes out what he is saying as he crouches down to cradle him, muttering something along the lines of “I love you” and ”don’t leave me now”, words laced with desperation and sorrow. The pain is becoming too much to bear. He closes his eyes as Chanyeol holds his hand, shaking him to keep him awake, tears dripping onto his blood-stained face.

But Sehun is too tired. His heart beats for the very last time with a soft thud, and his hand slips lifelessly out of Chanyeol’s.

The movie screening stops as the only viewer and leading role fades. No credit roll, no surprise scene, just the soft melancholic soundtrack of another person’s broken cries echoes in the background.

 

a/n: thank u for reading 

links