Bonus

Across the Bridge by the River

Thank you so much for your comments, upvotes and for subscribing. I would always smile everytime I read the reviews.

I thought of writing from where I left off, though it's not saying that I don't find my ending of the first chapter fitting. The ending is fine. I just wanted to write about their display pictures. :3

 

 

They were both lying down on the grass; the previous hour spent dribbling and sprinting around the court. The moon shone even brighter than how it did an hour ago. Stores and restaurants along the street parade a variety of lights and luminescence. The nearby street food kiosks emit an aroma of fried Tokkebi hotdogs.

“Damn. My stomach’s telling me we need to get back to the dorm.” Kris groaned as he rubbed his stomach through the now sweaty shirt he’s wearing.

The younger didn’t move, didn’t even bother to reply. He was simply breathing in a rather steady rhythm as his eyes gazed straight to the heavens.

“Hey, what’s up with you? You seem awfully quiet all of a sudden?” Kris nudged Tao’s side.

Tao raised his hand upwards and pointed to the vast darkness above them. “Stars, gege…”

The older chuckled, always finding Tao’s occasional abrupt shifts of childlike innocence and appreciation of the world a little amusing.

Tao slowly turned his head sideways to look at Kris, his eyes changing into a sharp glare.

“I’m sorry,” Kris apologized with a shrug of his shoulders. “Can’t really appreciate the world with an empty stomach.

“You’re no fun.” The red-haired maknae sighed, lowering his arm and settling his hand on his side. Upon reaching the soft blanket of grass, he grazed Kris’ fingers ever so slightly.

“Gege…”

“Yeah?”

“Can I hold your hand?”

Kris furrowed his brow with confusion. “Of course, Tao. You… don’t need to ask permission.”

Tao smiled while intertwining his fingers with Kris. “Let’s just keep our hands down so people won’t see.”

 “We’re already lying beside each other on the grass. I think holding hands wouldn’t really make a difference.” Kris laughed again and tightened his grasp on the younger’s hand.

They stayed like that for a few more minutes – letting the seconds tick away. The feel of the night breeze caressing their faces calms them both. Sometimes, they do need to go out and feel the world’s simplicity.

Tao took in a deep breath as he dwells on the sensation on his hand – Kris slowly his thumb back and forth on Tao’s grip.

Tao opened his eyes, not even aware he closed them. He fished for his phone inside his pocket. “Gege, let’s selca this moment.”

“What?” laughter burst out from Kris. “Selca this moment?”

Tao raised his phone on top of them both, the camera facing them. “Smile!” He ordered the other.

Kris obliged and even did the V sign with his free hand. “Don’t upload that.” He was quick to command.

“Sure, sure. I know.” Tao gave him a wave of his hand.

“I’m serious.” Kris tugged Tao by their still interlaced fingers. “You know how manager-hyung is uptight with us uploading pictures of ourselves unless they are official photos of SM or stage performances and interviews.”

“Yeah. He scolded me the other day, you know.” Tao looked at him and grinned.

“I know. So don’t go smiling like that at me.” Kris looked back at Tao and raised his eyebrows. “He doesn’t like how you run your Weibo account – uploading fan taken pictures and posting long personal posts.”

Tao heaved a sigh and sat up. Thinking of a change of subject, he asked, “Where did you place the ball?”

“Here beside me.” Kris gestured to his left. A few inches from him is the ball – their own circle of everything. “Why?”

“Give.”

“Why?”

“Just give.”

Kris handed the ball to Tao as he laid down beside him again.

Tao removed his hand from Kris’ grasp and held the ball up. “Come closer, gege.” He ordered. “Place your hand beside mine.”

Dubious of the younger’s thoughts, Kris still followed.

A couple of disappointing photos and a few grunts from the maknae, Kris took the phone from Tao. “Let me take the shot. I think I have a better angle here.”

*click*

“There. Have a look.” He returned the phone to Tao as he sat up and brushed the grass of his shirt.

Tao remained silent, eyeing the picture on his phone for a longer time than needed.

Kris stood up. “I think we need to go home, your silence is worrying me.”

Tao looked at Kris as he was gazing at the street across from them. “Gege, let’s take another picture.”

“Why? What’s wrong with the one I took?”

“No, no. I mean another one; a different one.” Tao stood up and bounced the grass off of him, too lazy to even check if there were still some left stuck on his jeans. “Here, by the river.”

He walked towards the river, placed the ball on a ledge and sat down in a squat position. The bridge’s lights were sparkling on the water. The sound of waves splashing on rocks greeted him. “C’mon, ge… You stay here on my left.”

Kris approached Tao, steps deliberately slow. With a sigh he lowered himself and placed his hand on the ball. “Let me take the picture.”

Tao, without question, gave his phone to Kris. “Make sure you include the bridge, okay?”

“Okay.”

 

*

 

The door of a black car opens and Kris motioned for Tao to enter.

“Thanks for picking us up, hyung.” Kris called out to their manager as he closed the door and the car drove away, leaving the basketball court behind them.

“Sure.” was all they got from their somewhat rigid guardian who, in one way or another, serves as a father figure to them as well. “So how did the stroll around the city go?”

Kris didn’t answer, the corner of his lips turning up slightly.

The mood inside the car turned a tad bit awkward as the silence prolonged. Tao looked at Kris, whose head hung low and his hands still gripping the basketball. Knowing he wouldn’t get a reply from his gege, he looked at their manager. And what surprised him was the look on their manager’s face – he was smiling as well.

With a whole new comprehension of the situation – and imagining the possible talks between Kris and their manager about “the stroll around the city” – Tao grabbed the driver’s backseat to pull himself up. “I enjoyed, hyung. Thanks!”

Tao looked back at Kris, giving him a wink of understanding. Kris was staring back at him as well – smiling actually, knowing that explanation isn’t needed anymore.

“Thanks for everything, hyung.” Kris called out to their manager.

“Don’t mention it.” came the reply as the car turned left. “I’m glad it went well.”

“I do have one more request, though.” Kris added, pulling some more strings of uncertain possibility. “Can Tao and I upload two pictures on our SNS tonight?”

A moment of deliberation and then the car turned another left.

“Make sure they’re nothing scandalous.”

“Yes, hyung. Just two new display pictures for Tao and me.” Kris politely answered with a slight bow of his head.

“Uh, hyung…” Tao’s voice was heard from beside Kris.

“Yes?”

“How about three pictures?”