D-17 II

Dinner

 

I love sweets! I absolutely love sweets! I love them so much I have them every day!

 

I don’t just mean tiny candies. I mean desserts! The proper ones!

 

I had cookies a while ago. White chocolate cookies. Soft and chewy white chocolate cookies! My sister baked them. She loves to bake and God is she amazing at it.

 

I don't really how because she never took lessons in baking. One day she just decided to bake. She looked at brownie recipes online, bought the ingredients and just followed the steps and then it tasted amazing.

 

Oh, I remember that brownie. It didn’t look as good as it did in the picture but I should have known not to always believe what’s online, especially when its food. Like those fast food advertisements, they make the burgers look so big and juicy but when you buy it grrr – I can’t even...

 

But anyways, the very first brownie that my sister baked looked a bit burnt but I tried them anyways and ended up finishing them.

 

Wonder what Jieun will make for dessert…

 


He’s joining us for dinner tomorrow night. He eats here around twice a week. Mom likes him a lot. I was worried before but he’s alright. 

 

For months, Jieun used me as a tester. She made sweets and I gobble them up. She only baked on weekdays though. But still, those were the best months of my life. 


(Flashback)

 

She decided on a strawberry cake. Dad insisted.

 

“Are you sure about this?” I asked her.

 

“Of course I’m not!” she exclaimed. 

 

"what if he doesn't like me? Ohmigad what if he rejects me? what if he already has a girlfriends???" Jieun continued her rant.

 

Girls

 

“Who is he anyway? and what’s his name? Do I know him?” Apparently the guy that she likes is on my year. But I don’t know every guy in my year so I wasn’t really of much help, just moral support.

 

Wait! Why am I even helping her?!

 

She was beside me trying to fix her hair while looking at the glass window. Sighing, I put the box of cake down on the table in front of us.

 

“I’m going to the loo”

 

I didn’t wait for her answer; I quickly walked towards the door instead.

 

“Huh? What? Oppa!”

 

She ran towards me and grabbed my arms.

 

“You can’t leave me now!”

 

“Jieun, you know I can’t be physically there with you when you confess to him, right?” I sighed

 

“ummm yeah you can” She looked at me weirdly.

 

“ummm, no I can’t” What is this girl thinking?

 

“Why not?” she said, raising her voice

 

I put my other hand in her shoulder as she was still holding on tightly to my other one and looked her in the eye.

 

“Look Jieun, I-"

 

As I was about to answer her, two guys came in the classroom. They both looked very surprised to see us. Well they should be, it’s their classroom and we are just two strangers who are bickering in their classroom.

 

Well we're waiting for the guy that she likes to come because apparently, this is his classroom though they should be coming back soon from lunch.

 

“Oh ummm sorry to disrupt you two.” One of the guys said and quickly went back out. The other guy looked at his friend quickly then looked back at us before following his friend out.

 

why did they go? this is their classroom. right? I turned to Jieun who was still holding on to me and I realised my hands are still on her shoulders. Did it look like I was beating up my sister? maybe that's why they rushed out.

 

“Well that was awkward. So anyways-" Hey is she blushing?


(Present)

“Tell me if you want more rice ok?” mom said to him.

 

“Ah yes, thank you” He replied to her.

 

Our family eats pretty well; three servings of rice is the minimum we’ll ever ask at any meal time. I remember the first time he came here to eat dinner. He looked really surprised while looking at each of us before finally focusing on Jieun beside him.

 

“How are you so skinny?” he mumbled to her

 

She just stared at him while chewing before going back to her food. Well, he’s used to it now. Especially since Jieun and I usually have around three lunch boxes each for school.

 

“ummm-"

 

We all looked at him. Is that-? Woah! No way!

 

Jieun quickly took his empty rice bowl and ran to the rice cooker. He would usually only have one serving of rice. He’s quite skinny even though he has muscles so we kinda thought that he was either too shy to ask for more or just naturally eats little. Of course he eats more than one bowl! Tiny thing! (I meant the bowl)

 

Jieun smiled at him while giving him his rice. I think she’s happy that he’s getting more comfortable around us.


 

She calls it a brownie although it doesn’t look like one.

 

“I bought too much white chocolate for the cookies yesterday so here, try it out.” She said as she put the plate on the table.

 

Dad and I quickly took one. I have never heard of a white chocolate brownie before.

 

“Wow this tastes amazing” he said to her.

 

“Do you have any requests for next time, Yongukkie?” she smiled at him

 

“You know I’ll eat whatever you make. Besides, I love sweets” he answered her, smiling

 

I’m still not sure whether I like him because he’s actually a pretty cool friend to have or because he is the reason why Jieun bakes.

 

Wonder what Jieun will make for dessert tomorrow…

 


Made this really quickly. Sorry for the errors. > <

edit: I have edited this, hopefully its easier to understand now.

 

PS. present-past-present is the sequence for those who are confused :)