H-18

Dinner

It wasn’t easy being an only child, especially with such an overprotective father. He would always look at what you’re wearing! Can’t wear short skirts or shorts or even dresses or low tops, because apparently, they show too much skin! They always have to be below the knee; otherwise, we would have a super long argument about this and that. I don’t even remember! I’ve learned to tune him out through the years.

 

"Hyosung honey, dinner’s ready." I heard mom say.

 

"I’ll be down in a bit." I replied back.

 

Mom is always on my side though, I remember that one time when we went to the beach and mom bought me this really cute swimsuit, a two piece. So I wore it and it fit me really well and I was so excited to go and play, until dad saw it. He demanded that I change immediately otherwise I have to stay in the hotel. So I got really upset and was about to cry but then mom came between us, she pat me on the shoulder, took dad’s hands and pulled him out of the room.

Dunno what happened but mom came inside a few minutes after, smiling. She took me out of the room and dad was there looking really angry and was mumbling something incoherent - to me anyways coz mom understood him because she turned around and said in a very calm manner: "she's only 12 Yongguk!". Yes, I was only 12 at that time! grrr

Going out of my room, I can already smell mom's cooking and my tummy immediately growled. Loudly. Dad heard it.

 

"You must be hungry." he said laughing then continued "Jieunnie made-" and then his stomach growled. Haha

 

I love him really


"So honey, have you found a dress yet?" Mom said, as I reach over to get some more beansprouts.

 

"YES! I found the perfect dress in this shop! I tried it on as well. I'll show you a picture later." I replied after swallowing.

 

Prom is coming up real soon and mom promised to buy me any dress I wanted. I'm so excited-

 

"Soooo is there any hopes that we'll get to meet your date before prom?" Mom asked.

 

"mom! I -"

 

"date? What date?" Dad said as he suddenly looked up looking like he's been betrayed. But before mom and I could reply-

 

"I hope you are NOT talking about a boy! Coz if you are, you might want to rethink about what you're gonna do on that friday night" he exhaled "I am so not letting you out of the house"

 

I stopped eating and put down my utensils and looked at him. 

 

"of course she's going with a boy." mom said to him, cutting me off as I was about to reply.

 

Dad looked really bewildered, with his mouth hang open, looking at mom like she has two heads.

 

"Should we go tomorrow after lunch?" Mom said as she turned to me, ignoring dad.

 

Oh yeah, it's weekend tomorrow.

 

"umm yeah sure" I didnt dare look at dad. I'm hoping mom will take care of things.

 

I started eating again, but dad didn't. He was just looking at mom and mom at him. I find them weird at times. They do this a lot. It's like they're talking in their minds. Telepathy.

After their staring session, dad looked away from mom and started eating again and so did mom. She caught me looking at her and smiled at me.

Even though daddy is like that, he has never ever raised his voice at me. Everytime I do something wrong, he goes and tells mom. Not to me. But to mom.

Like that time when I came home at 8:17pm (I have a curfew! 8PM!). He asked me why I was late and I told him there was traffic. He looked at me like there were more things that he wanted to say but then he called mom from the kitchen and started asking her so many questions like 'why didn't she call or text that she'll be going over her curfew?', 'where did she go?' and a few more. However, mom just stared at him for like five seconds then turned around and went back to the kitchen without saying anything.

 

"Yonggukie do you want more rice?" mom asked dad and he shook his head while staring down at his bowl. Then he looked at mom, then to me, then looked back to mom again.

 

"Why does she have to have a date anyway?"

 

"Why can't she just go with her friends?"

 

"I mean friends that are girls"

 

"she's too young to go on a date"

 

"Her curfew is still at 8pm"

 

"I'll be out by the parking lot at 7:30"

 

"Dad, the dance starts at 6pm. I'm 18. and mom said that I could stay till it finishes at 12." I cut him off and said very quietly without looking at him.

 

"Yongguk" mom said very calmly, then she turned to him and smiled "How old were we when we started dating?"

 

Mom can be very scary. She does this thing where she smiles really sweetly but she has this really dangerous aura and the people around her find trouble breathing. Well, it's more like they forget to breathe. Like they hold it in without even thinking about it.

Grandpa Junhong told me many stories about her and her suitors when she was younger. Apparently he doesn't even need to do anything! Just sit there and laugh and applaud mom for making him proud.

Dad is not an exception. He mumbled something about being 16 and pouted. But then looked up again, he probably thought of a good comeback. Oh gosh.

 

"But she's my daughter", yep great comeback.

 

Mom didn't reply and just continued eating so I did as well. I know mom will talk to him, so I don't really have much worries about it. I hurried eating and finished my rice without any side dishes so I can go. 

 

"Go" mom said as I put all the rice in my mouth.

 

She always knows what I'm thinking. Maybe she really have telepathy powers.

 

"Thanks for the food" I said as I stood up and bowed then ran to my room.