Chapter 3

Piano Hands

  “Baekkie, I have something to show you,” Baekhyun yelped in surprise as someone grabbed his wrist as soon as he had stepped out of his classroom and started dragging him along so fast that he practically had to run to keep up. “What the hell, Chanyeol? Slow down, your legs are twice as long as mine!” Baekhyun managed to gasp out as he ducked sharply to the side to avoid crashing into a teacher.

  “I’m not going anywhere until you tell me where you’re planning to take me,” Baekhyun twisted his wrist out of Chanyeol’s grip, earning a pout from the other. They were only outside the school and truthfully, Baekhyun already felt like collapsing onto the ground from exhaustion. He had never been a sports person, never would be one, and maybe that was why even a one metre jog would make him tired.

  “It’s a secret!” Chanyeol yelled happily, ignoring the stares they attracted from passers-by. Then, disbelief suddenly clouded his features as he looked at Baekhyun. “You’re tired already? Do you want me to carry you there?”

  “No!” Baekhyun shouted, immediately flushing a bright red as several people turned to glare at him. “I can make it there myself,” he scoffed, softer this time, before turning on his heel and stalking off in what he hoped was the correct direction.

  “Baekkie ah, you’re going in the wrong direction!”

~*~

  “I cannot believe that you dragged me all the way here just to see a couple of dogs,” Baekhyun fumed, digging his nails, deeper into Chanyeol’s arm, trying to use anger to mask what was actually fear. He was afraid of dogs, had been ever since he was five, when one had decided to jump on him for no reason. But now there he was at the local dog shelter, because Chanyeol had decided to drag him there without telling him the reason.

  “We’re here, Baek!” Chanyeol sang, pulling open a wire mesh door and stepping over a low barrier into a brightly lit room that had countless wiggling puppies running about. “Hell no,” Baekhyun gasped in shock, backing away, or at least, he tried to, until Chanyeol grabbed him, and dumped him on the floor. Immediately, Baekhyun was surrounded by furry little bodies.

  “Yeollie, get them off me! I’m scared of dogs!” Baekhyun shouted, trying his best to swat away the puppies. “Yeollie!” he whined, when no one came to his rescue, and looked up to see his companion doubled up, laughing so hard that tears were streaming down his face.

  “Oh my god, Baek, you’re scared of these?” Chanyeol chuckled, dumping another puppy on Baekhyun’s lap. “How can you be scared? Look at them, they’re so cute!”

  Baekhyun scowled, and was about to stand up when he realized there was something different about the black and white spotted puppy in his lap. Its legs were slightly deformed, the back legs smaller than the front.  “Why does this thing have such weird legs?” He pointed at the puppy who was now chewing on his shirt.

  “Awesome, saves me the trouble of looking for her. Baek, meet Kidae. Kidae, meet chicken Baek,” Chanyeol grinned, pulling the mound of fur away from a cringing Baekhyun. “See her legs? That’s because of a car accident a few weeks ago. You know, everyone said she wouldn’t survive with no mother and an injury like this, but here she is, happy and normal like the other puppies.”

  Chanyeol placed Kidae in Baekhyun’s arms, “If even a dog can do something when everyone else says otherwise, why can’t you? Doctors are not always right, you know…”

  Baekhyun glanced down at Kidae. Suddenly, she did not seem so scary anymore. In fact, she was quite adorable, with fluffy fur that stuck out in all directions and a wet pink nose that was constantly sniffing at things. “Kidae,” he smiled, the small body, when there was suddenly a flash of light and the sound of a camera shutter.

  “Whoops, forgot to turn the flash off,” Chanyeol muttered, then looked up to see Baekhyun glaring at him so hard that lasers were practically shooting out of his eyes. “Did you take a picture of me?” Baekhyun asked menacingly, gently setting Kidae on the floor and stalking towards Chanyeol.

  “Yep, you looked so cute! Pity if I didn’t take a picture,” Chanyeol flashed Baekhyun a thumbs-ups, before, with a yelp of surprise, he fell backwards as Baekhyun tackled him, yelling for him to delete the picture.

~*~

    “Yeollie! The doctor said I could take off the bandages tomorrow!” Baekhyun shouted happily, barrelling through the crowd of cheerleaders gathered around Chanyeol and ignoring the glares they sent him. It didn’t matter that Chanyeol was insanely popular in school, his closest friend would always come first, and that friend happened to be Baekhyun.

  Chanyeol broke into a huge grin when he saw his friend come rushing at him, shouting at the top of his lungs. “Really? Well, then we must celebrate! Tomorrow, okay? I know what we can do!” Chanyeol ruffled Baekhyun’s hair, before grabbing his wrist and starting to drag him away from the crowd. “Now let’s get away from here before those noisy hags suffocate me.”

~*~

  “Homework is stupid!” Baekhyun cried in frustration as he looked at the rows of seemingly endless sums he had to face.

  “Baekhyun, your friend is here to see you,” Baekhyun’s mother shouted from downstairs. Who in their right mind would come see me this late? Baekhyun thought, slowly making his way down the stairs, where he passed his mother. “Why didn’t you tell me you were going out tonight?” she asked, much to Baekhyun’s puzzlement. He had made no such plans to go out at all.

  “Baek! Took you long enough to come downstairs!” A familiar voice sounded from the living room, and Baekhyun looked up in shock to see Chanyeol sitting on the sofa. Marching up to him, Baekhyun hissed into his ear, “What are you doing here? How did you know where I live?”

  “Don’t you remember? We’re going to celebrate the removal of your bandage!” Chanyeol yelled, towing Baekhyun up the stairs, only to stop abruptly at the top. “Which one is your room?”

  “How did you find out where I live?” Baekhyun asked as he tugged on his favourite shirt. “I followed you home yesterday,” Chanyeol responded sleepily from where he was sprawled on Baekhyun’s bed, facing the wall. “You know, when you’re listening to music, the whole world could collapse around you and you probably wouldn’t even notice.”

  Hearing this, Baekhyun immediately whipped around and threw the nearest thing he could reach at Chanyeol. “What are you? Some kind of stalker!?”

  “Ouch!” Chanyeol exclaimed as a book hit the back of his head. “I’m not a stalker; you wouldn’t tell me where you lived, so I decided to find out for myself. Anyways, are you done?”

  “Yes.” Baekhyun answered curtly. “Get your filthy off my bed, you fool.”

“Fine,” Chanyeol grinned, getting up and following Baekhyun out the door, but not before his eyes caught sight of a particular article of clothing hanging in Baekhyun’s opened wardrobe.

  “Bye, Mrs Byun!” Chanyeol waved to Baekhyun’s smiling mother before running to catch up with the smaller boy. “Baek, why are you going so fast? I can’t keep up,” Chanyeol ruffled Baekhyun’s hair. “Park Chanyeol, if you touch my hair one more time, I will shave it all off so you have nothing to mess up!” Baekhyun yelled, pinching Chanyeol’s arm.

  “Touchy, touchy,” Chanyeol laughed, giving his friend’s hair a good mussing up before darting out of Baekhyun’s reach. “Baek, if you shave your hair, you wouldn’t suit those cute teddy bear pyjamas in your wardrobe!”

 


A/N

Okay, I know most of what I wrote so far is not even related to the plot, but give me time, kay? I wanna take my time building the story up. And I'm also really honoured that people actually suscribed even though I'm probably the worst writer ever, so thanks :D
I know it took slightly much longer for ths update, but school is a killer, so please be patient OTL