Step 4: Falling In Love

Private Practice

I DIDN'T LIE. I SWEAR ON ONEW'S LIFE. (Hubby, don't die! ;__;) I'm stealing someone's laptop. Huhuhu~

Anyway, here's an update! It's shorter than I remember writing...damn sickness. But I think it's pretty good.

For all of those who don't remember from three months ago, here's a recap of the last little bit: Taemin told his father he has a girlfriend. Taemin goes to Minho's apartment and has dinner with him and Siwon, keeping all the recent cover-ups a secret, along with the fact that the pair have recently discovered they're in love with the other. While at school, Taemin acquires Yoona as his "girlfriend", causing Jonghyun to think Tae's been playing him all this time. He dismisses Taemin from being his friend, causing Tae to cry on his way home and collapse on a park bench, where he is found by Minho.

~~~~~

Minho's POV

Taemin usually walks home from school, right? I wonder if I walk too, maybe we'll cross paths. Meet each other halfway. I'm supposed to be going to his house tonight; his Umma invited me to stay for dinner after my tutoring lesson since I had Taemin over the night before.

Last night, when Taemin asked me to be his friend, something seemed a bit off. Like, his eyes held a different emotion than his words did. Maybe that's just because I don't want to be friends with Taemin. I want to be so much more. I want him to love me as much as I love him.

That's right. I've come to accept the fact that I'm undeniably in love with my tutoring student. These thoughts still seem pretty ridiculous in my head. But they have to be correct, right?

"Why is he crying?"

"Poor little guy. I hope he's alright."

"Someone needs to help that kid before he trips or something."

I look up and follow the people in the park's gazes just in time to see the young boy collapse on the park bench. Sobs seem to take over his body as he quickly brings his knees up to his chest. It's only when I catch the sunlight in his hair that I recognize him.

"Taemin?" I call out as I feel my heart ache. I start running forward, my legs on autopilot, somehow gracefully moving around people to reach the hurt boy on the bench. I sit down next to him and wait, hoping my autopilot will kick in again. When it doesn't, I take matters into my own hands and pull Taemin's knees away from his face before embracing him tightly. He struggles at first, but then he willingly surrenders in my arms, staining my sweatshirt with his tears. I his gorgeous auburn hair soothingly as I shoo the people away that are staring. Mind your damn business!

For a while, neither of us speak. It's not my job to speak; my job is just to be here. Maybe I'd make a good grief counselor. I should look into this. I hold Taemin closer as he sobs, kissing the side of his head.

As soon as my lips leave his skin, he stiffens, pulling his head back from my shoulder. I freeze, knowing I've confused him, and mentally scream at my carelessness.

"M-Minho?" Taemin squeaks, staring into my eyes with his puffy, red eyes. I nod to him, and he lets out a shuddering sigh. "I ed up big time."

I'm silent as I let him sit up in my arms. Why does he feel this way? He wipes his tears with the back of his hand and continues speaking.

"Jonghyun and I got in a fight," he sniffles. "We're not friends anymore."

I mentally gasp. Not friends anymore? But they seemed to be getting along so well together. What could they have been fighting about? Was their argument really Taemin's fault?

"I just don't know what to do anymore, Minho," tears well up in his eyes again. "He's been my best friend for almost four years. I never had friends before him. And we've always been fine, and now..." sobs overwhelm him once more, and I pull him back into my chest.

"It's all my fault, Minho. I pushed him away. He didn't like being so distant from me..."

"So it's my fault," I gasp and bite down on my lip. Words, stay in my head please.

Taemin sits up again and shakes his head repeatedly. "Aniyo. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. It's my own fault. I chose to keep everything a secret. I'm causing all of this."

I sigh and turn his head to where he's facing me. "Taemin, I don't know if you want to hear it or not, but here's my opinion. I think you should just go ahead and tell everyone that you have a tutor. I mean, what's the big deal? So what if people know you're getting help? You're not perfect, and neither are they. Tell Jonghyun the truth. Tell your father the truth. Tell your teacher. It's fine. Everything will be fine."

Taemin shakes his head again. "You don't understand, Minho. Everyone's expectations of me are so high. I don't want to disappoint them. Appa always said to keep striving to do better and never show your weaknesses."

I blink as everything finally dawns on me. This was how Taemin was raised! He was raised to keep pushing himself and not let anyone know when he was struggling. When I was his age and younger, I was the same way. As a retired soccer coach, my dad always pushed me to excel in my athletic endeavors. It was tedious, since I had to work on my studying as well. But I was stressed out with everyone expecting so much of me. And that's how he's been feeling.

I hold Taemin close again and sigh. "I understand more than you know, Taemin. I guess I was just hoping your childhood was different from mine."

Taemin sniffles some more and wipes his tears away with his wrists. "Thanks, Minho. For being here," he pauses for a moment before laughing softly. "I could really use some banana milk right now."

I laugh too and help him to his feet. "Well, c'mon, kiddo. Let's get you home." He doesn't let go of my hand as we walk to his house, making my heart do backflips and my breath uneven. We don't talk for the entire walk; it's silent, sans Taemin's occasional sniffles.

--

"Bring down the four over here," I point out the neglected spot in Taemin's arithmetic. He groans and starts furiously writing in more numbers. "No, Taemin. The four, not the six, Bring the four down." He starts erasing, and I look to see the tears on his face.

"Hey, Taemin, come here," I pull the pencil from his hand and wrap my arms around him. He leans into my touch and cries softly.

"I'm sorry, Minho," he sniffles. "I just can't concentrate right now."

"I know, Tae. I know. It's okay," I rest my face in his hair and breathe his scent in. I don't even realize that someone's walked in the room.

"I thought something was wrong when you walked in," Taemin and I both look up at his Umma, holding another container of banana milk. "What is it, TaeBaby?"

Taemin sniffles loudly and pulls away from me slightly. I keep one arm wrapped firmly around his waist, which he doesn't move. " Jonghyun and I got in an argument after school. My cover-ups...they just pushed me away from him. And he doesn't want to be my friend anymore."

Taemin's Umma sits down on the couch on the other side of Taemin. He wraps an arm around his sobbing son and looks straight at me. "Some things happen for a reason. Sometimes to teach us a lesson. Sometimes to show us the way. Have you ever heard that some people leave your life to let others in? In life, people will go, but then new people will come. It's a cycle."

"But I don't want him to go, Umma," Taemin half-whines. "He's my best friend. I love him."

"That's another thing," his Umma smirks slightly. "Jonghyun's out of your life now, so you have to take that love for him and put it into someone else. Anyone that's been in your life recently," he winks at me. "Someone who deserves it."

Holy . He's trying to hook us up.

Taemin wipes his eyes and nods. "I guess you're right, Umma. I shouldn't waste my time dwelling on him. I have other people to give my attention to." He leans into my arm a little more, making my heart explode.

"That's right, baby! And right now you have me and Minho, and we're not going anywhere!"

Just then, a phone rings somewhere else in the house.

"...And I'm still not going anywhere! Even thought that call could be from your father. Or my hairdresser. Or Katy Perry to tell me she got my letter and would love for me to design her next outfit.

Taemin laughs lightly. "Go, Umma. It's fine."

His Umma thanks him and kisses his temple before rushing off and answering the phone. By his relaxed tone, I guess it's not Katy Perry after all. I look over at Taemin and see that same shocked look that he wore when I kissed him earlier. Is his temple a weak spot?

"Hey," I nudge his shoulder with my nose, causing him to shiver. "Are you okay?"

Taemin nods and lays his head on top of mine. "Thanks again, Minho. You're such a great friend."

I swallow hard and nod, hiding my disappointment. he still considers me a friend. I open the container of banana milk Taemin's Umma left for him and hand it to him. "Don't fill up on this stuff to where you can't eat your dinner."

"Mehrong!" Taemin sticks out his tongue and I laugh, watching him drink.

~~~~~

Taemin's POV

Minho and I both take a seat at the dining table across from each other. Umma's happily humming in the kitchen as he prepares our plates. I sip on my third container of banana milk and sneak a glance over at Minho. His turtleneck sweater really compliments the rest of his features. I'm suddenly reminded of his soft kiss on my head and bring my fingers up to brush the area. Why had he done that? Was it just to comfort me? Or was it something different...? No. He just tried to comfort me. Him and I are just friends, and he knew I was in distress. He was just trying to make me feel better.

I wish I could tell you, Minho. I wish I could tell you all these feelings I have raging inside me. But I can't. Because you don't feel the same way. Because Appa doesn't know you exist. Because I apparently now have a girlfriend. And...I've ed everything up so much to the point that even if you did love me back, we could never be. It's all my fault, Minho. Don't ever blame yourself.

Minho catches me staring, and I hurriedly look away. He laughs lightly and reaches across the table, resting his hand on top of mine. "What's on your mind?"

The fact that my heart is beating so hard it might rip right out of my chest. The way your hair looks like todau. How much I'm in love with you. The usual. "A lot."

"I can understand that," Minho chuckles.

"What's on yours?"

His eyes graze over me and I tremble, almost in fear. "I have a lot on my mind as well."

I nod and look away from him. I can feel my hand begin to sweat under his and nervously bite my lip. I can sense his eyes are still on me. I hear him gasp, as if about to speak, when Umma comes into the room. 

"Here you go, my darlings!" Umma chirps, his eyes fawning over our hands. Minho quickly removes his hand as Umma sets down his plate and mine.

I thank Umma and graze over my plate. Realization suddenly hits me, and I look over at Minho's plate in horror.

"Umma, wait! Minho can't eat this, he's a-"

To my surprise, Minho raises his fork to his mouth and chews a piece of the tender chicken Umma has prepared.

"What was that, baby?" Umma asks, but I'm still in shock. 

"He's a vegetarian, Umma. Minho's a vegetarian," Umma spins around and faces Minho, eyes bulging.

"This is really good," Minho says softly with a smile. "My compliments to the chef."

"Now, Minho, honey, if you don't eat meat, you don't have to eat it here. I'm not going to force-"

"It's fine," Minho reassures him and continues eating.

Umma nods, looking as confused as I feel, and leaves the room to fix his own plate. I'm left sitting there staring at Minho like he just grew three extra heads.

Minho looks up at me briefly. "You're making me feel incredibly rude by sitting here and eating while you merely watch. Would you please eat too, Tae?"

I swallow hard before picking up my chopsticks and beginning to eat my rice. We continue to eat in a sort of awkward silence, even when Umma joins us.

After dinner, Umma talks Minho into staying for dessert, even though Minho insists he's full. We blissfully eat Umma's banana cream pie, playfully smearing whipped cream on each others faces. We laugh and joke until Umma says that Appa will be calling any moment to let us know he's on his way home. Minho thanks Umma for the meal, and I walk with him out on the porch.

"Your Umma is such a great cook, Taemin! You should have invited me over sooner!"

I laugh as the chilly wind blows my hair into my face a little. "You really didn't have to eat that chicken. I'd hate for you to go against your beliefs."

Minho just shrugs. "I've never had meat before. It's not that bad, actually. Just because I was raised that way doesn't mean I have to continue it now that I'm grown."

I smile and nod, folding my arms to defend myself from the wind. Minho suddenly crosses the distance between us and hugs me tightly. "Go inside. You'll freeze."

He kisses my temple again, sending radiation throughout every part of my body. I tremble as he pulls away from me with a smile and walks down the stairs off the porch. He walks across the yard, and I walk along with him from on the porch, emotions taking over me. "Minho, wait."

Minho looks up at me and walks over to me, gazing up at me from the ground below. When he gets over to me, he smirks slightly. "You have a little whipped cream still on your bottom lip."

I'm just about to wipe it off when Minho reaches for my chin and pulls my head down to his. His eyes meet mine for a nanosecond before I find his lips inching closer to mine. My breath comes out in nervous puffs as I close my eyes and let him pull me closer.

"Taemin? Who are you talking to over there?"

My eyes snap open and Minho and I gaze at each other in horror. Appa. His eyes beg me for assistance, and I lean forward again."

"Run," I whisper, feeling the footsteps on the porch getting closer. I close my eyes, and when my collar is grabbed from behind, I open them to find no Minho. Only an empty space.

~~~~~

DUNDUNDUN~ Cliffhanger again! Sorry. But SAVVY IS BACK. :D

Plus, can you really complain? I almost made them kiss, okay? I ALMOST MADE IT HAPPEN. But I didn't. Okay. Maybe you can complain. x.x

So, since I basically said all that needed to be said in the beginning author's notes, let me use this space for a quick promotion.

My friend Lynn and I have started working on a story that we've been dreaming up forever. Please go read and subscribe! It's only one chapter strong so far, but we're really proud of it; and it's being updated really soon. -cough- Plus there's some 2min in the next chapter~ -cough-

Here's dah link~ http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/133879/runaway-the-story-of-soku-yamanaka-2min-dbsk-drama-jongkey-shinee-yoosu-yunjae

But anyway, leave me comments! Comments are nice and help me sleep at night! ^O^