Chapter 1: Flowers

Far Away

HEECHUL'S POV

 

I ran and ran and ran

I kept running

I dont know if I will reach there in time

But i have to try

I need to

I want to

 

~flashback~

I'm sitting inside the Anleekan Cafe. I let my mind wander to the happenings around me these days.

"Hey," the owner of this place and my good friend, Leeteuk, interrupted my thoughts. I looked at him.

"Hey." He smiled and I returned the gesture. He sat across me. "So, what's up?" he started. I shrugged and replied, "nothing." He moved his face forward and squinted his eyes. He investigated my eyes. He raised his shoulder and moved back then clapped his hands. "So, what's happening to you and Geng?" he asked.

I looked at the window and replied a soft, "nothing." He placed his elbow on the table and his chin on his palm. "I see," he said. which made me stare at him confusingly. "Lovers' quarrel," he continued and smiled. "NO! we're not-"

"yeah, i know, you are not lovers. Well, not YET." He emphasized the last part. I widened my eyes. "LEETEUK NO!" I half-yelled at him and he sighed.

I dont know why but I always feel uneasy when people joked around about me and Hangeng being lovers. I mean, he's my best friend! so, why would we become lovers and we dont even love each other. At least not that way. Not more than friends.

"Dont you still realize it?" Leeteuk brought my thoughts to the real world. "Realize what?"

He just stared at me for a whole minute before he said, "nothing. I got to go. Need to serve some customers." He stood up and I nodded as a reply then he walked away.

Realizing that i should go, I fixed myself then stood up and bid goodbye to Leeteuk. I decided to take a walk before I meet Hangeng at the mall.

I passed by a bakeshop and thought that it would be nice if I give him a cake.

"Hello! Good day! welcome to Ryeo Bakeshop," the guy in the counter greeted me. I looked at him and smiled.

"Oh, its you, Heechul hyung!" he grinned. Then a male entered the shop and noticed me. "Hello Heechul hyung!"

"Hello Ryeowook-ah, Yesung-ah," I greeted them with a smile. "Going to buy a cake for Hankyung hyung?" Ryeowook asked. I widened my eyes then answered, "how did you know?"

"We heard about your latest lovers' quarrel," Yesung stated. "We're not together." "You're not? but we heard from Leeteuk hyung that-oh," Ryeowook's companion said in disbelief before he bowed his head due to the owner who elbowed his side. Geez. That Leeteuk. I sighed.

"So, what do you wanna buy?' the guy behing the counter asked.

"That one please," I pointed at a Mango Cake. Ryeowook carefully took the cake then wrapped it perfectly. I paid for the cake and bid farewell to my two good friends.

I checked the time and decided to take the bus to the mall. I sat at the back window side, beside a couple. I noticed that the couple turned to look at me. "Heechul hyung!" one of them said which made me look at them. "Oh, Sungmin-ah! Kyuhyun ah!"

"Hello hyung!" "Hey Heechul"

"Aish this kid! call me hyung! Heechul hyung!"

"Whatever. So, how's your lovers' quarrel with Hankyung?"

"HYUNG, Kyuhyun. HYUNG." Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes and said, "So, its true then"

"NO! We. Are. Not. Together. We...just fought. BUT clearly NOT a lovers' quarrel" Kyuhyun just shrugged while Sungmin looked down. I took out my ipod and plugged in my earphones.

-----------------------------------

My stop came and I said goodbye to Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

I took a deep breath before I entered the mall. I tightened my hold on the cake and took a seat in the corner of  the restaurant. I'm glad he's not yet here. Few days ago, we fought and a few hurtful words escaped my mouth. I didn't mean them!

"What do you want?" a voice interrupted my thoughts. I lookedd at the man standing beside me.

"Please take a sit. Let's talk." He complied and took a seat in front of me. He just looked at me and waited for me to say something. I gathered all of my courage and spoke. "I'm sorry." He looked away and I bowed my head. "I'm sorry. I...I didn't mean to say those things. I...I didnt mean it when I said that you are nothing to me and I don't need you. You are my best friend. i'm sorry, please forgive me," He stood up and I thought that he's going to leave me here alone but no, he hugged me. "I was so mad when I found you in the dark alley, almost got attacked by men but it hurt me more when you said those things," he whispered. "i'm sorry. Anger took over me. I was trying to prove that I can protect myself but you ruined everything. I'm sorry," I whispered back. He let go of the hug and took his seat.

"Its okay. Its over now. Lets just forget it" he smiled and I did too. I put the cake in front of him. Here. I bought you a cake." He grinned widely and took out the cake. "A peace offering?" he teased. "Could be,"I said with a grin.

---------------------------------

We are now on our way home. He's driving me home. We stopped by a convenience store. Afterwards, a lady approached us. She's carrying a bouquet. From my observation, I guess she's in her late 50's.

"Young man," she was talking to Hangeng. "Yes, ma'am?" Hangeng politely attended. "Why dont you buy your girlfriend some flowers?" Our jaws dropped and our eyes widen. "Sorry ma'am but we are not together," Hangeng protested. For a second there was an awkward atmosphere. "I'm sorry." The lady bowed her head and we returned the politeness before proceeding to go inside the car.

Lets just say that, that night I had a very peaceful and nice sleep.