Bruised

Stray Kittens

It was morning. I could already feel the sunlight against my closed eyes. I yawned, stretching like a cat. I was still on winter break so I didn't have to worry about being late for my class. I snuggled more against my pillow, feeling its softness against my face. 

 

The pillow. On my bed.

 

I felt my duvet against me, rubbing the material against my fingers. 

 

The duvet. On my bed.

 

It all came to me in a second. I bolted upright, opening my eyes. I was in my room. I remember sleeping on the sofa last night. I scanned my room. He wasn't there, but the cat was. She was curled like a ball on the carpet. I scrambled to my feet and ran outside my room.

 

In the small kitchen, I saw him towering over the frying pan, cooking what seemed to me like an omelette. But that wasn't the first thing I noticed about him.

 

He was wearing a black tank top, and his arms were covered with bruises. It was like every inch of his arms were black and purple. I gasped, horror running through my body as I realized that I had not taken his jacket off when I carried him here. I had not noticed that he was wincing every time we took a step. 

 

I ran to him, as fast as I could, panicking. He must have sensed me as he turned around and looked at me.

 

"Hey, I-" he started saying.

 

"Take your clothes off now!" I said, with an urgency in my voice.

 

"What?" His eyebrows creased, as he turned off the stove.

 

"I said, take off your clothes. Now!" I didn't know why he was still hesitating. It must hurt, I could tell just by looking at them. I also know that there are also other injuries in his body, not just his arms.

 

"I didn't know I affected people this badly." He said, staring at me with amusement.

 

"What?" It was my turn to ask him, baffled by his unusual response.

 

"You want my body right?" He said, with a strange look in his gaze that I couldn't quite identify.

 

I was confused by the wording. I want his body? Why?

 

Nevertheless, I answered, "Yes. Now take your clothes off." 

 

"Oh. I like it. Feisty. " the man said, his lips.

 

He turned to me and peeled off his tank top, revealing more of the contusions that I expected him to have. 

 

"Oh my god." I said, as I gaped at him in horror.

 

"Surprised?" He said with a laugh. He was smirking for some reason. I almost felt like we weren't on the same page at the moment. But I pressed on, in order to get him treated.

 

He was walking towards me, a smirk on his face. He stopped when he was right in front of me. He was tall, half a head taller than I was, and I could say that I'm pretty tall myself. But that wasn't the problem right now. 

 

He put his face close to mine, wearing the same expression he did earlier. He opened his mouth a little, his warm breath on my face. I shivered, despite the warmth.

 

"Wait!" I said. He straightened up, looking confused as I ran to the freezer to get some ice. I put the stacks of ice on the kitchen counter and started putting some inside some washcloths.

 

"Ice play, huh? You're a weird kid with your es." He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

 

"Just shut up and let me treat you." I snapped at him. I dabbed some on the bruise on his shoulder.

 

"What?"

 

"You're covered in bruises!" I said, failing to grasp why he hadn't noticed it yet.

 

"You mean we aren't having ?" He asked me suddenly, saying it as normally as one would ask how the weather was.

 

I dropped the cloth that I was holding. I just stared at him incredulously.

 

"W-what? Are you out of your mind?! You're covered in bruises!" I picked up what I dropped and continued in treating the bruises, my ears tipped pink from embarrassment, for reasons I don't know myself.

 

"Oh. These.." He answered nonchalantly, looking at them with wide eyes.I was almost as if he didn't even notice the bruises.

 

"It must've hurt, right?" 

 

"A little. Why are you putting ice on them?"

 

"To reduce the inflammation. I just assumed they were fresh contusions, so naturally, within 24-48 hours, you should at least apply something cold to it." I explained, mostly to myself. I knew he didn't listen. But I'm glad he dropped the '' topic. I shuddered inwardly at the thought of it.

 

"Why were you even out there in the first place? You could've died you know." I asked him out of concern.

 

"I must've troubled you so much right?" His expression changed. He smiled at me gently. It was as if he were going to cry..

 

"No, not at all." I was shaking my head. "I just practice what I learn in medical school." I said simply. But I knew there was something more to it. This person intrigued me. I knew it wasn't smart of me to bring a stranger home to be treated, but there was something that had me pulled to him, like gravity making objects fall to the center of the earth.

 

"You still haven't answered the question though. Why were you-" i started saying, but got cut off by him.

 

"Minho." He said abruptly.

 

"What?" I feel like we've been saying this a lot since we first conversed.

 

"Choi Minho. That's my name." He said matter-of-factly.

 

 


 

I love cliffhangers. :>

 

I love Taemin's character. He's so... oblivious. <3

 

Thanks for the wonderful subbies and for the comments! Hihi.

 

Stay.

 

Tuned.

 

;)