Solitude Night

Stray Kittens

It was a cold winter night, snow falling like tiny raindrops from sky, collecting quickly in piles on the roofs of houses and on the asphalt lined ground. I exhaled, my breath white from the extreme drop in temperature. I could feel the cold seeping through the thickness of my clothes, and I shivered, tucking my head in my scarf a little more and rubbing my gloved hands together, creating some warmth.

 

I tried to walk faster, trying to get to my apartment as soon as possible. I admit, today was a little colder than usual. It was New Year's Eve and I have to spend it alone because I was far away from my family. I came to Seoul to study for college and it was stupid of me not to go home just because I wanted to save some cash. I really do miss them, as this was the first time I spent Christmas without my family. I made a mental note to text them as soon as I get to my apartment.

 

I turned to a corner. Everything was gray. The streets were deserted. It kinda felt lonely to be walking back home by myself, with no one to spend the New Year with. Ahead of me, there was a yellow street lamp, the only color I can see in the gray scale surroundings. At the base of the street lamp was a man. He was crouched down low, blue-lipped, hugging himself for some warmth. His lips were twitching so much. As I came closer, I saw that in his arms, was a small kitten. Abandoned, probably. My heart quivered at the sight.

 

I approached the man, his eyes hidden because of the hood of his jacket.

 

"Um, mister?" I said, crouching down too. "What are you doing here at this late hour?" 

 

He didn't answer. It almost took me a while that his breathing wasn't regular. I started to panic, my heart beating faster as I cupped my hand to his face. Cold. Freezing cold. His lips were frostbitten so badly. At this rate, he might die because of the cold. I gasped and I tried to get him up. 

 

"Come on mister, we need to get you to somewhere warm." I said, alarm rising in voice, as I made him lean on my shoulder. He was still holding the kitten. How can this man care for the kitten more than himself? 

 

I could not just stand and let this guy die from the cold, not especially on New Year's. I didn't care if he was a stranger. I just felt that I had to help, no matter what.

 

***

 

We finally arrived home, half-dragging him here. I wasn't the strongest person, but I guess sheer determination made it possible to bring him here. I took the the key from my pocket and opened the door. I dragged him all the way to my room and laid him on the bed.

 

He was shivering. Shivering so badly that I had to keep myself together. He isn't going to die. I'm studying medicine at the university and I know that it's only mild hypothermia. I got up and turned the heater on. I tucked him on the duvet, as his ragged breathing started to ease slightly. I sighed in relief. The cat was also sleeping soundly, curled up in a ball next to him. I pulled the hood from his face as he might get uncomfortable with it.

 

He wasn't as old as I expected him to be. He was good-looking. No. He was handsome, beautiful, even. He had long eyelashes, and full lips that were slowly turning back to their original color. His face, angular. I just gaped at him. He was too pretty to be a guy. I stared, because I have never seen a guy that gorgeous before. Questions just seemed to pop up in my head. What was he doing outside? Had he wanted to die back there? 

 

I kind of felt bad for him. All of us have stories to tell. We all have our reasons for doing things, no matter how unreasonable it may seem in the eyes of others. Sometimes, we just need someone to understand. This person must've gone through so much pain to do this. My eyes were stinging, feeling the tears coming. 

 

"i'm sorry." I whispered as softly as I could. "The only thing that I could do for you at the moment is this." 

 

That's why I wanted to become a doctor, so I can at least remove the pain from people's hearts. I know it's wishful thinking, and not all people can be saved, but I can still give it a shot.

 

He grunted a little at his sleep. I wiped the tears from my face, suddenly feeling embarrassed. My crying must've disturbed him.

 

"How...is...the...kitten?" He whispered, his breathing still ragged. His voice was so thin and weak that it could've been my imagination, but I definitely heard him.

 

"He's fine." I said softly. He seemed kind, because he still thought of the kitten. I smiled a little bit.

 

"Thank God." He said, smiling in his sleep.

 

His smile was beautiful. I felt my heart skip a few beats as I stared at him again.

 

After a while, he his breathing finally eased and he finally drifted to an easy sleep. I sighed. He was going to be fine. I stood up and and quietly left the room. 

 

I guess I'm sleeping in the sofa tonight.

 

"Good night. And Happy New Year." I whispered, closing the door.

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

My second fic guys. They aren't introduced yet. ;) I'll have you guys know that my chapters seem rather short, based on the comments from my first fic, which I am shamelessly promoting. Check it out pleasee? XD

 

Stay.

 

Tuned.

 

;)