It's Raining

The Butterfly Effect

It was raining, and the-sixteen-Jongwoon ran into a nearby awning, sheltering himself from the rain.

A while later, another man rushed in, hands holding a violet umbrella, heavy breaths from the previous run.

They stood there awkwardly; the only sound could be heard is the melody of the rain.

-You could go home by this – the other boy suddenly spoke, handing the violet umbrella to Jongwoon – I have another umbrella in my backpack.

-Oh, uhm… well… - the taller boy startled at the invitation, but eventually took the item from the hold of the other – Thank… you, I guess?

-Maybe you’ve never noticed me, huh? – that boy giggled – I’m Lee Sungmin, I sit two tables behind you in the class. Didn't have the courage to speak to you til now, since... you know....  with you being the famous boy and all...

Jongwoon blushed at the statement.

*****

Sungmin’s journey from the hospital back home was exhausting, his leg trembling within every step. It was raining cats and dogs outside and he let himself get wet, the drops hit him violently; gusts of wind angrily blew his figure, wanting to sweep him away from the sidewalk.

He felt cold – his soul was freezing inside.

The man his lips. Why did the rain taste so salty?

Tiredly pacing to his house, Sungmin gathered his final strength to push open the gate. In front of the door he saw Ryeowook and Jongwoon, kissing each other passionately.

And he collapsed right on the staircase.

*****

-You broke up with me… so you can go out with my cousin? – Sungmin yelled with his hoarse voice, his eyes trying to see through the blurry rain.

It rained when we met… and it rained when everything ends.

I just wanted to blame you for everything that had happened, push you down, slap you in the face; but none of that would fill the hole in my heart now full of cut-open wounds.

He tried to stand up, but his body ran out of control and he fell down, his knee hit the stair hard. A reddish liquid slowly flowed down, staining his wet jeans; its color blurred into the water pouring down, withdrawing all of his clarity, leaving a black vacated heart.

-Why… why, Jongwoon? – Sungmin blurted out, staring through the blurring sight to catch every move of the man he loved.

I was enchanted, and you were like a cruel witch watching his puppet falling into the spell with a smile.

The man being asked just stood there, deadly silence took control of him.

-You don’t deserve him – Ryeowook stole the oldest man’s reply, a half-smile beamed on his lips.

-Ryeowook, Kyuhyun…

-Bid a farewell to him for me – the youngest playfully gave a quick peck on Jongwoon’s lips, who was frozenly looking at Sungmin – you should take a look at yourself now, cheater.

-I came here to collect my suitcases – Ryeowook opened his umbrella – I’m moving in with my new boyfriend, Kim Jongwoon so you can go all around and keep Kyuhyun for yourself – his eyes flashed a quick glimpse of despair; and the petite hitched the butterfly chain out of his neck, throwing it onto the ground.

The couple walked past Sungmin, and as Jongwoon mouthed “I’m sorry”, everything vanished in the man’s eyes.

Just pretend that this is a dream. A horrible dream that never had happened.

The man just sat there under the downpour, his clothes soaking wet, and tears collided with the raindrops.

And Heaven doesn't ignore cries of a broken heart.

Let the rain wash away all of this mess.