Chapter 6

Sixteenth Note

While I cried with my eyes closed, I felt someone touching my cheeks.

 

"Baby don't cry. My love will protect you and never let go." The voice said to me.

 

He wiped my tears using his hands.

 

"I told you I'll never leave you. Come on. Stop crying."

 

"Why do you have to do that?" I asked him with a broken voice.

 

He shushed me and touched my cheeks again. He made me look at him.

 

"I'll never leave you. Not now, not ever. So please... stop crying. It makes me weak whenever I see you cry." I saw his face getting wet of tears.

 

"Lay... You're crying. Stop crying please." This time, I'm the one who wiped his tears.

 

He pulled my hand gently and hugged me. I felt his tears wetting my shoulders.

 

"I don't want to leave you." He told me.

 

"But we can't do anything. As much as I wanted to stay. As much as I wanted to be with you. I can't. Fate is pulling us apart and we can do nothing. This disease may weakened me, but it's your tears that are killing me. Please, stop crying. I don't want to see you cry. I don't want to see you getting hurt because of me. Stop crying. Don't cry. Please... I can't see you suffering. I was supposed to protect you. Not hurt you. So please... Please..." He tighten his hug.

 

"Lay..." I tried to hold back my tears, but I never succeeded. It came flowing out of my eyes.

 

"Please..." I heard him whisper.

"Lay, don't cry." As much as we try, we both can't forced our tears to stop.

 

"This might be the last time that I'll be with you. Or maybe the second to the last, or third. We don't know. But promise me one thing."

 

"Promise me that you'll never forget me. Promise me that you'll continue on living. Even without me. Aya, life can be short. And mine... even shorter than that. But I'm very thankful that I got the chance to be with you. To meet you. I'm thankful that I loved you. You are the greatest thing that ever happened to me...

 

in this short lifetime."