Valentine Surprise

Just My Imagination

 

 

 

 

 

It was my first day as an entry level accountant at Ok Enterprises, a computer software company in Seoul. And I was late.

“Hold the elevator!” I called as I squeezed through the revolving doors leading from the outside of the building. Either the man in the elevator didn’t hear me, or he opted to ignore me and push the button, anyway.  I didn’t know the answer to either of those questions, but I knew he looked extremely attractive in his dark tailored suit.

As I waited for the next elevator, my mind wandered back to the past as it always does when I see a dark haired man in a suit. 

It was Valentine’s Day, six years ago, and I was sitting at the bar in a restaurant, dressed to kill, and all alone. I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and my very best friend was supposed to celebrate with me, but a last minute emergency caused her to cancel. So there I was, spending Valentine’s Day alone, when Mr. Tall, Dark and Painfully Handsome walked in, wearing a suit.

My mouth dropped open and my heart stopped beating the second I saw him. I didn’t know if it was love or lust at first sight. It didn’t matter. All I knew was that I wanted to know him in the Biblical sense of the word. His eyes cased the room for a few seconds then finally came to settle on me. He started across the floor.

As he walked toward me, I imagined his hands my flushed skin as he slowly removed my clothes, his bare arms circling my trembling body, his lips brushing mine. I didn’t even know the man’s name, and I was already in his bed.

I pivoted around on my stool as he came to a stop beside me. His eyes were the deepest black, his mouth sensuously wide, his lips full and kissable.  He looked very experience in knowing what he wanted. He flashed me a heated white grin and said in a deep husky voice. “I’ve been looking for you all night.” 

“Just all night, or all your life?” I jested, offering him my most seductive smile. 

His grin deepened and his eyes glazed with passion. Without further preamble, he pulled me off my stool, into his arms, and kissed me deeply. My arms wrapped about his neck, and I held him tightly.  He smelled wonderful, and his breath tasted like champagne.  As his mouth devoured mine, I wondered where he’d been before he walked into the bar, and my life.

He came up for air and gazed deeply into my wide eyes.  “Would you be my Valentine tonight?”

You don’t even know this man.  You’ll be crazy to leave with him, my head spoke up. But you’re lonely and he seems okay. Have a little fun, my heart retorted.  I decided to go with my heart. 

“Absolutely.” I managed between my ragged breaths.

“Then think of me as your Perfect Valentine Surprise. Come with me.” he said, interlacing our fingers.

In a haze, I picked up my purse and followed the strange y man out of the bar, through the restaurant, out the door, and across the parking lot.

“I’m not protected.” I warned as he helped me into his Mercedes. Since I hated the thought of putting hormones into my body, I never started the pill. My ex and I used condoms and a diaphragm. Since I wasn’t intending to make love tonight, I’d left my protection at home.

“Don’t worry.  I have it covered.”

“I bet you do.”

A feeling of wild excitement and abandonment coursed through my body as we drove off. I’d never done anything so reckless in my entire life.  I didn’t know where we were going and I really didn’t care. I just wanted to live in the moment. Maybe I could blame my reckless behavior on the two Tequilas I’d been drowning my loneliness in. I don’t know. He took me to one of Seoul’s grandest hotel. Up to this day, I have no idea if my lover was in town on business, or if he lived here and it would have been awkward for him to take me to his place. He wasn’t wearing a ring, so I assumed he wasn’t married. All I knew was that I wanted to make love with this man whose name I still didn’t know. Didn’t want to know. Even after six years, I still tingle with desire each time I remember the feel of his warm hands on my body, the uncontrollable tremors that ripped through me time and time again, the husky rumble of his voice in my ears as he told me how delectably sweet and beautiful I was. We made love until dawn when I finally fell into a deep slumber. When I awoke, he was gone. 

I’d felt a deep sadness that he’d left without saying goodbye, and that our time together had come to an end so quickly and quietly. But after all, that’s the way it had begun. Quickly and quietly. 

I never saw him again, but it was impossible to forget our impromptu passionate encounter.

Not long after, my boyfriend, Donghae, came back into my life.  I wrestled with telling him about my one night stand, but decided that we weren’t even together when it happened. So why bother? Besides, I knew he’d been seeing other women while we were separated. So we were married and had a daughter. 

As I stepped into the elevator and pushed the button for the twelfth floor, I forced all thoughts of my secret lover out of my mind. I had work to do.

“Hi, Yoona.” Tiffany, the receptionist greeted me as I stepped off the elevator and into a spacious waiting area. 

“Late on your first day? You’d better not make this a habit. The boss is in already. You never want him to beat you here.”

Tiffany and I had become friends during my two interviews, so I knew her chastisement was a friendly warning.  

“I know.” I responded, not bothering to explain why I was late, even though it was a legitimate reason. 

“Hyoyeon in yet?”  I signed the sign in sheet as I enquired about the woman whose job I would be taking over when she left on maternity leave. Hyoyeon had talked about not returning to work at all, so there was the possibility of my staying on permanently, if I did an excellent job. 

“She’ll be in later.” Tiffany said. “An ultrasound, I think. She left some work on your desk.”

“Thanks, Tiffany.  See you at lunch.”  I hurried down the corridor to my office, thoughts of the man in suit already out of my mind.

Hyoyeon and I were elbow deep in figures from a company Ok Enterprises was thinking of buying out when Tiffany buzzed me that the CEO wanted to see me. She also told me that he’d just looked at the sign in sheet and hadn’t seemed too thrilled that I was fifteen minutes late. The CEO was in the Boston at a conference when I was interviewed then hired by Human Resources, so I hadn’t met him yet. I didn’t know what to expect as I walked nervously down the corridor to his office. Although my daughter’s illness was a legitimate reason for my lateness, I realized it still looked bad for my first day on the job. I glanced at the name on the door: Ok Taec Yeon. So he was the boss’ son, I thought as I straightened my skirt. I knocked on the door.  

“Enter!” a deep voice said from within.

For some unexplained reason, my heart jumped at the sound of his voice. I turned the knob and walked in. He was sitting in a huge leather chair with his back to the door. He said nothing for a long time, and I thought he must be admiring the Han River through the glass wall, which was fine, but I had a project to finish before four o'clock when I had to leave to pick up Yoo Yeon from daycare by four thirty. I cleared my throat. 

“Mr. Ok, I’m Im Yoona. You wanted to see me.”

“Oh, yes.” he said absentmindedly, as if he had forgotten he had called for me. He still did not turn around. But again, my heart jumped. 

“Mr. Ok.” I said in a tentative voice.  “I can’t stay past four and I have to finish a report…”

“You were late on your first day, Ms. Im. What makes you think you still have a job?”

His cool blatant threat really shook me up.  I never thought he would fire me for being late. I shifted my weight and cleared my throat again. 

“I’m sorry I was late. It was unavoidable…”

“I’m not interested in your excuses. I’m interested in your ability to be responsible, efficient, and punctual. You are being paid to be here at eight o’clock. I do not tolerate tardiness.”

“Yes, sir.  It will not happen again.”

“See that it doesn’t.”

I was about to leave, when he suddenly swiveled around. I almost collapsed when those dark eyes pierced me to the core. My hand flew to my throat, as my heart seemed to lodge there. He was the man in the elevator this morning, but he and I went further back than two hours ago. No wonder my heart had been jumping at the sound of his voice. It recognized him, even if my mind refused to.

“So it’s Yoona.” he finally said, his eyes roaming the entire length of me. 
I saw the same desire I’d seen in him, six years ago when our eyes first locked across that bar. At five-six, with long brown hair and big brown eyes, I’ve been told that I’m very attractive. I wet my lips and gazed at those intense dark eyes and wide y mouth that had haunted me for years. He was still the kind of man a woman wanted to take home for some passionate loving even if she didn’t know his name. But he was older, more mature, and far more irresistible.

Even as wanton desires mounted inside me, I feared him. He’d turned my world upside down five years ago. It was because of him that Donghae and I hadn’t worked out. I mean, I was perfectly happy and contented with my life until he strolled into it, gave me a glimpse of Paradise, and left me forever craving for more. This time it would be far more devastating. I had much more to lose.

My eyes inadvertently wandered toward his left hand. I felt a stab in my heart when I saw the bright platinum gold band wrapped around his ring finger. My gaze landed on a picture frame on his desk. Yep, he had a wife and two adorable little daughters who looked about three and one year old, respectively.

Given the delicate situation, I thought my best defense was to act as if I didn’t recognize him. 

“Mr. Ok, it’s nice meeting you, at last.” I held his gaze, unflinching. I didn’t dare offer him my hand. 

“I expect you to work an extra fifteen minutes to make up for your tardiness.” 

My pretending to not recognize him had clearly annoyed him, but I didn’t care. I couldn’t start harboring stupid fancy notions about him. The past needed to stay in the past, besides the man was married. 

“I can’t do that.” I said as diplomatically as possible. “I will give up my lunch hour, but I cannot work past four.”

“You keep saying that.”  He finally rose and walked toward me. “What is so important that you have to leave at precisely four o’clock?”

I wanted to tell him that it was none of his business. I wished he had stayed seated, because his nearness was disarming. What was it about this man who had the power to knock all good common sense out of my head like he’d done that night, six years ago? 

“I never forgot, Yoona.  Even after all these years, I can’t get you out of my head. I remember every single moment we spent together in that hotel room. You infected me that night. You’re in my blood.”

Don’t trust him, my head screamed. He’s married. For all you know, he was married that night he made love to you then disappeared. It’s because of him why your marriage didn’t work out, why you can’t commit to any other man. 

“Are you seeing someone?” he asked.  “Is that why you have to rush out at four?” 

He almost sounded jealous. But I quickly squelched that thought. I had nothing for Ok Taecyeon to be jealous about. Or did I? 

“I really have to get back to work, Mr. Ok.” I said, edging toward the door.

He cocked his head and stared at me. “You really don’t remember me, Yoona?”

I realized that it would be foolish to continue acting as if I didn’t know him, so I decided to clear the air and prevent future awkwardness between us. He was my boss, and I didn’t want to have to walk on eggshells around him for the rest of my temporary employment. 

“Yes.” I said, softly. “I remember you and our night together. But that was a long time ago, Mr. Ok. I’ve moved on, and you obviously have, too.” I added, pointing to his family picture.

“But you’re not married. I noticed you’re not wearing a ring.”  A hopeful light flashed in his eyes. Was he a player? 

“I’m divorced. But there is someone very special in my life.” I answered.
He winced as if I’d struck him across the cheek. 

“I see. I hope he knows how lucky he is.” He rubbed his temple as if his head hurt. “It’s good seeing you again, Yoona. You can leave at four, and you don’t have to give up your lunch hour.”  He waved me away and went back to his big black leather chair.

I raced out of there and back to my office. I have no clue how I got anything done after that encounter, but I kept busy until four without even breaking for lunch.  I would not have been able to keep anything down, anyway.

I couldn’t sleep that night, and laid in bed thinking that if the economy wasn’t so bad, I’d look for another job. By dawn, I realized that I had no choice but to get up, go in, and tackle whatever challenge life threw me that day. The pay and benefits at Ok Enterprises were the best out there. And if Hyoyeon didn’t return to work, my financial future would improve exponentially. Since Donghae wasn’t paying child support, I had to think of my daughter’s wellbeing. I would wrestle the devil for her.

The next day I went to work, determined to avoid Taecyeon as much as possible. I didn’t have to try too hard. He wasn’t even there. He’d gone on a three day business trip. I breathed sighs of relief the first two days. My luck ran out on the third day, though.

I was on my way out of his office when he walked in. A shiver ran through me, and my knees buckled at the sight of his muscular frame in the doorway. 

“Mr. Ok.  I wasn’t expecting you until tomorrow.”

Hyoyeon had told me that the one thing I must never do is get caught in his office when he wasn’t there. Even though he knew we dropped off files for approval in his absence, for some reason, walking in on us annoyed him. He had invasion of privacy issues, I supposed. This was strike two. I held my breath waiting for the hammer to fall.

“It’s okay, Yoona. No need to panic.” He walked over to his desk, dropped his briefcase on it then turned toward me. His gaze was as soft as a caress as our eyes met.  

I dropped my gaze. What the heck was he doing? He was married. 

“Look…” I said, meeting his stare again. I felt I had the right to voice my opinion. “I don’t know what kind of games you’re playing, or what kind of woman you think I am, but I don’t do married men.” 

“What kind of man do you think I am, Yoona?”

“I don't know. But please don’t judge me from our one night stand, six years ago. I’d never done anything that reckless before, or since.”

“I never judged you, Yoona.” He dropped his weight into his leather chair and picked up the file I’d left on his desk. “How’s it going?  I hope you’re settling in nicely.” he said, keeping his eyes on the folder. 

“I am. Thank you for asking.”  I edged toward the door.

He raised his head, and stopped me with his intense black eyes. “I wanted to see you again, you know. But I didn’t realize it until I was having breakfast with my father later that morning. I raced back to the hotel, hoping you’d still be there, but you’d already left.”

My stomach muscles crunched, painfully. I swallowed the lump in my throat. “You did?”

“We didn’t talk much that night. I didn’t even know your name. I had no idea where to begin looking for you. But here we are again.  Do you think we…”

I didn’t want to think about anything concerning us. One part of me wanted to ask him if he’d been married and cheated on his wife, but the other part didn’t want to know. I cringed at the thought. I looked at the clock on his desk. Thank God it was almost four.  “I have to leave, Mr. Ok.”  

“Would you please call me Taecyeon?”

I forced a smiled.  “Okay.  I have to leave, Taecyeon.”

He gave me a puzzled look. “What is it you rush out of here to do at four o’clock everyday?”

I was spared from answering when his phone rang.

I made my escape.

I was late the next day because I forgot to set my alarm. Taecyeon called for me just before noon. Fear knotted in my stomach as I walked to his office. He didn’t tolerate tardiness. I was ready to pour my heart out and beg him not to fire me. I knocked on his door. Upon his response, I opened it, and stepped into his office. 

“You wanted to see me, Mr…” I caught myself.  “Taecyeon?”  May as well be informal to offset any displeasure he may have over my tardiness.

“Hi, Yoona.” He looked up from a folder he was studying. “How are you?”

“Fine, thanks.” I answered skeptically.

“It’s not about you being late.” he said as if sensing my fears. I let out my breath.

“I was just going over the report you did and I’m very impressed. I want you to work with me on the buy out.”

I swallowed my shock. “You do? But I’m…”

“No buts.  I think you’re a very intelligent woman, Yoona, and a great asset to this company. I’m giving you the opportunity to prove me right.  You want it?”

“Yes.  Yes.” I chirped.

And so for two week, Taecyeon and I stayed in close contact, pouring over files, sales statistics, annual reports, and all legal and financial documents.  It was very hard working that close to him and not constantly dwells on the intimate moments we’d shared. But our ship had sailed. 

His patience and gentleness toward me were touching. His enthusiasm about me was empowering. He was a perfect gentleman and never once made a pass at me, even though I saw the desire in his eyes, felt it when he accidently brushed against me and when our fingers inadvertently touched. I started doubting that he’d cheated all those years ago. Or maybe he had, and had redeemed himself. I didn’t know. But I grew to respect his loyalty to his wife. She was one lucky woman. I envied her, more so because I’d once experienced the strength and intensity of his passion.

On Friday of the second week, Taecyeon walked into my office. It was close to four and I was getting ready to leave. His hands were shoved deep into his pockets and his shoulders were drooped. He looked haggard.

“You have a minute?” he asked, closing the door.

“Just one. It’s almost…”

“Four.” he finished for me. He came up to my desk and stared down at me. “Yoona, I know you have a child. She’s the reason you run out of here every day at four. You have to pick her up from daycare.”

My heart sank, but I managed to keep my composure.  “How do you know?  Who told you?” I asked, watching my life crumble before my very eyes.

“I followed you yesterday.” 

I felt my throat closing up. “Are you stalking me, Taecyeon? Are you spying on me? That’s harassment, you know.”

“No.” he responded hastily. “I was curious. These past two weeks, I was introduced to a side of you I find absolutely…” He cleared his throat. “Well, don’t tell me you don’t feel the tension, the pull between us.”

Not wanting him to see the tears in my eyes, I swiveled around and turned my back to him. “You shouldn’t be saying such things, Taecyeon.  You’re a married man.”  My hands balled into fists on my lap.

“Yes, and up until yesterday, I thought you had someone special in your life. A man to be exact.”  He walked around my desk and crouched down in front of me. “I know we used protection that night, but I also know that condoms aren’t always one hundred percent full proof, so I’m going to ask you once, and don’t lie to me, Yoona. Is that little girl my child?”  

The earnestness in his voice shook me to the core. I could lie about anything except the paternity of my child. I was shocked when I learned I was pregnant. But how could it be? I’d asked myself a million times.  We’d used protection. But now that Taecyeon knew about Yoo Yeon, it was pointless to lie to him. 

“Yes, she’s yours.” I said, releasing the burden I’d been carrying for more than five years.

A broad smile swept across his face. He pushed to his feet and stared out of the window for a few silent moments before turning back to me. 

“I knew it the very moment I saw her. She looks just like Soo Ra.”

“Yes, she does resemble your youngest daughter.” I said without emotion. The fact that he had a wife and another family brought me back to reality. There was no room for Yoo Yeon in that circle. 

“Look…” I said. “I don’t need anything from you. As long as I can keep this job, I can take care of Yoo Yeon myself.”

“Yoo Yeon. Yoo Yeon. That’s such a pretty name.”  

“I named her after me and my mother.”

“How soon after our night together did you get married?”

“A month.”

“So your ex-husband must have known she wasn’t his.”

“Well, Donghae and I had been dating for two years. We’d been broken up for about a little over a month when you walked into that bar that night.”

“So it was a toss up?” He waved his hands in the air.
I nodded.

“We had a quickie marriage, but three years into it, things began falling apart. He’d been an excellent father to Yoo Yeon, but had become verbally abusive to me. One day, out of spite, he threatened to leave me and take Yoo Yeon. I told him about my one night stand with you, and that she may not be his to take. He demanded a paternity test, and when it proved that Yoo Yeon was not his, we divorced.”

“I’m sorry you had to go through that.” he said with a tender note in his voice.

“I always knew in my heart that Yoo Yeon was yours.” I replied. “I was just in denial. I never thought I’d ever see you again. I wanted my marriage to work for her sake.”

“Is your ex still part of her life? Does he see her regularly?”
I sighed. 

“No. He moved to California, remarried, and started another family.” 

“How is she coping with him being so far away?” 

“It was really bad at first. She cried every night for months, but she’s learning to live without him. She doesn’t ask for him as often as she used to.”

“No child should ever have to cry for a parent’s attention. Especially not another child of mine.” he said with a hint of harshness in his voice. I frowned. His anger seemed to stem from more than Donghae’s paternal neglect. 

He glanced at his watch. “Let’s go.” 

“Where?”

“To pick up Yoo Yeon. I want her to know who I am.”

I jumped to my feet. “Taecyeon, you can’t just approach her and tell her you’re her father. You’ll confuse her. Donghae’s the only father she’s ever known.”

“But he left her to father his own child. Didn’t he? He doesn’t love, nor does he want her.”

I couldn’t argue with that hard fact.  

He raked his hands through his hair. “I want to see her, hear the sound of her voice, and maybe even hug her. She’s my firstborn child, and I’ve never even held her. I’ll follow you in my car.” he added, making a dash for the door.

“Taecyeon, what am I supposed to tell her about you?”

“Think of something on the way.”  He opened the door.
I grabbed my purse from the desk drawer and walked with him to the underground garage. I don’t remember how I got to the daycare. I don’t remember stopping for traffic lights or making any turns. All I could think about was that Taecyeon wanted to know his daughter. What did it all mean? 

Yoo Yeon was playing with some other children when I pulled up into the driveway of the afterschool daycare center. She ran toward me, and I knelt down and wrapped my arms around her. My heart throbbed with love as I closed my eyes and drank in her sweet innocence, her curly long hair.

“Hi, Yoo Yeon.”

I startled at the deep voice behind me. I glanced over my shoulder at Taecyeon, still not knowing how to introduce him. 

“You’re a stranger. I can’t talk to strangers.”

Taecyeon’s smile vanished from his face.  But, Yoo Yeon was right. He was a stranger to her. I wet my lips at the irony that he’d been a stranger to me the night she was conceived. If I hadn’t left the bar with him, Yoo Yeon wouldn’t be here. “Honey, you can talk to this man. I give you permission.” 

“Why come?” Her brows wrinkled as she gazed up at Taecyeon through piercing black eyes.

“He’s Umma’s friend. He wants to be your friend, too.”

“Why come?”

“Why come? Why come? Is that all you can say?” Taecyeon stooped down to her eye level, grinning with abandonment. 

I could tell he was smitten by her already. Yoo Yeon was the type of child who everyone fell in love with at first sight. It was one of the reasons I instilled the fear of talking to strangers in her. I worried every time I was away from her.

“I bet you like ice cream.” Taecyeon drawled with enticement.

“Yeah!” Yoo Yeon shouted. “You got some?”

“I know the perfect place where we can get some.” Taecyeon stood up and reached his hand toward her. “Come with me.” he told her, just as he’d told me six years ago on the night she was conceived.

“Is Umma coming?” Yoo Yeon asked, as she took her father’s hand for the very first time. 

“Of course. You’ll both ride in my car.”  He looked at me for confirmation.
I nodded. 

“Give me a minute.”  I ran inside to sign out Yoo Yeon and get her backpack. When I came back outside, she and Taecyeon were still holding hands. They looked perfect together. Again I wondered what his presence in her life meant. “Ready.” I said, standing beside them.

“Let’s go get ice cream.”  Yoo Yeon pulled on Taecyeon’s arm. 

I followed behind them as they walked to his Mercedes.

“What about Umma’s car? I have important stuff in there.” Yoo Yeon said, forcing him to a halt.

He chuckled as he gazed down at her upturned face. “What kind of important stuff?”

“My Barbies and my dollies, my coloring books, and my Disney movies.”

“Wow, those are very important stuff. I’ll bring you and Mommy back to her car after ice cream, okay?”

“Okay?”

I didn’t say much at the ice cream parlor. Yoo Yeon and Taecyeon had a lot of catching up to do. I sipped lemonade while my daughter took her father on an informational ride into her world. She named all her friends at school. She told him about the time she fell on the ice and broke her arm and had to wear a cast for eight weeks. She told him about little Min Ho whom she punched in the nose when he tried to kiss her.

Taecyeon threw back his head and laughed at that one. “No boy steals kisses from my baby girl.” he exclaimed.

“I’m not your baby girl.” Yoo Yeon said adamantly. “I’m my daddy’s little baby girl.  I love him. I’m his baby girl!” She crossed her arms and dropped her chin.

Donghae always used to refer to her as his little baby girl, well until he found out she wasn’t. She missed that. She missed him. Seeing the hurt in Taecyeon’s eyes, and the sadness on my daughter’s face, I intervened.  “I think we should call it a day.” 

We rode in silence back to the daycare center. Yoo Yeon’s goodbye to Taecyeon was cold. I buckled her into the back seat of my car then walked Taecyeon to his.

“You have to give her time.” I admonished him gently. “Donghae is the only father she has known. She misses him.” 

“I know. I understand. And it’s driving me crazy to know that I can’t be there for her. Be a father to her, yet.” He looked at me thoughtfully then asked. “Can I come by tonight after she’s asleep?”

“Why?” 

“I need to talk to you.”

“About what?” Did he want custody of Yoo Yeon? He was rich, I was poor. He was married, I was not. He could offer her all the luxuries in life when I can barely pay for her afterschool daycare. The familiar courtroom drama flashed across my mind. The knots formed in my stomach. I glanced back at my car and hopped from one foot to another, the fear building inside me at an enormous rate.

“It’s nothing to worry about.” he assured me, sensing my fears, as he seemed to have a knack to do. “There are important things we need to discuss. I promise, Yoona. I just need to talk with you. I just found out you had my baby. There’s a lot we need to discuss, don’t you think? I’m not taking Yoo Yeon away from you. I would never do that. We just need to talk.” he reiterated, gazing down at me with earnestness in his eyes
I knew I was crazy, but I agreed to let him come by.  “Okay.  She’ll be asleep by nine.”

“Thank you. See you at nine, then.”

I rushed home and cooked a burger and fries for Yoo Yeon. I couldn’t eat. I put her to bed, then showered and splashed on some perfume. Taecyeon knocked on my door at 9:05. He was wearing the same suit he’d worn all day. He hadn’t been home, it seemed.

“Yoona, I love you. I’ve been in love with you ever since that night we met.” he blurted out as he came through my door. His eyes shimmered with warmth and passion.

“Taecyeon, you’re married.” I reminded him after the shock wore off. He closed the door and gazed down at me. “That’s the thing, Yoona, I’m not.”

My mouth dropped open. “You’re not what?”

He cleared his throat. “Jessica and I don’t love each other. Hell, we don’t even like each other. Our parents forced us into that marriage to merge our companies. It was business, not love. I love my kids, but that marriage has been slowly choking the life out of me. After spending two weeks with you and a few hours with Yoo Yeon today, I know…”

I put my hands up to stop him. “Back up.  I’m still on your, ‘I’m not’.  You’re not what?” I repeated.  I needed to hear the full sentence.  

“Jessica and I have been divorced for six months.”

My heart leaped against my ribcage. I took a few steps back from Taecyeon. Being that close to him, knowing he wasn’t married was making me dizzy. 

“You’re divorced?”  I asked when I finally found my voice again. “How come it’s not public knowledge?”

“We kept it quiet for business, and for the girls. We still share the master suite to keep up appearances for the nanny and the housekeeper. I sleep on the couch in the bedroom the few nights Jessica has spent at home since the divorce. But now that you’re back in my life, I don’t see the need to keep our split shrouded in mystery. You and I have wasted too many years, already. I don’t want to waste any more, especially not with Yoo Yeon.”

I was speechless. I couldn’t, didn’t want to believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. He loved me! He was divorced! I could have him right here and now if I wanted, and I did want him.

Sensing my shock and inability to respond, he marched right up to me and pulled me into his arms, just as he’d done the night we met. And when his lips descended on mine, as usual, my common sense took flight, but only for a few brief moments. I needed to know.

I pushed him away and gazed up into his entrancing eyes. “Taecyeon, were you married that night we made love? Were you involved or even engaged?”

His eyes narrowed to slid as if he was hurt I would think so little of him.  But if he’d cheated on his wife back then, how could I be sure he wouldn’t cheat on me. He could just be telling me he loved me just to get into my again. Nothing was about me anymore. I had a child to protect now.

Taecyeon dropped his hands to his side. “The night I walked into that bar was the night my father told me I had to marry Jessica to save our company.” he said, with a regretful twist to his lips. “Jessica and I knew each other through our families’ connection, but we weren’t a couple.”  He scoffed. “I was never even attracted to her. But when my father explained the trouble our company was in, I had to agree to save it, to save our family from financial ruin.” 

He shook his head as if to shake off the memory of that conversation.  “God, I was so distraught. I just wanted to drink myself into oblivion, so I went out bar hopping. Yours was the third I hit, and when I saw you sitting there, looking like a love goddess, I thought how unfair life was. I only had that one night of freedom left, and I was determined to make every second count.”

Relief circulated through me, replacing the doubts I’d been harboring about his fidelity. I reached up and my fingers along his strong jawlines. “I was lonely that night. My girlfriend was supposed to celebrate my birthday with me, but she had to cancel.” I said. “I guess it was the loneliness that drove me into your arms, your car, and your bed.”

“I don’t care what it was that brought us together. I’m just happy we did get together.” Taecyeon took my hand and let me over to the couch where we sat holding each other. He chuckled as he his fingers through my hair. “I told you I was your Perfect Valentine Surprise.  It was even more perfect than either of us realized.”

“Yes, our beautiful daughter was born from that union.” Suddenly, a different kind of doubt set in again. I gazed up at him through the dim lamplight. “Are you sure you want her, me...”

He took my hand and held it against his chest. “With all my heart, darling. I promise we’ll be together soon. You, Yoo Yeon, and my other two daughters are the most important things in my life. We will be a family, Yoona, hopefully by the time Valentine’s Day come around again.”

Remembering how he’d reacted when I told him Yoo Yeon didn’t see her father regularly, I asked. “Can you live with the fact that you wouldn’t be there for your daughter’s every day, Taecyeon?”

“Soo Ra and Seo Hyun will be living with us.” he said. “That is if you don’t mind being a mother to them. They’re really great kids.” he added with a hint of hope in his eyes.  

“What about their mother? What kind of custody do you guys share?”

“Jessica never wanted them. Her parents forced her into having them, just like they forced her into marrying me. She hardly spends any time with them. She’s too busy with her friends, and whatever else keeps her away from home. At any given moment, she packs her bags and takes off to Paris, London, Las Vegas, or wherever the social wind blows her. She’s still very immature. I thought she would grow up after Soo Ra was born, but she got worse. Her lack of maternal instinct and nurturing is what hurts worst in all of this.” 

“How could any woman not want her children? I can’t even imagine my life without Yoo Yeon in it. I hate being away from her all day, but I have to work.”

“You won’t need to work once we’re married.” Taecyeon said with a grin.  “In fact, I’m firing you right now. Don’t bother coming in tomorrow, Ms. Im. Your services are no longer needed.”

“None of my services?” I asked, tongue in cheek. “However will I get by?”

“Don’t worry. I have it covered.”

“I’m sure you do.” I said on a smile as Taecyeon’s lips descended on mine once more. I knew I could trust him. He was loyal to a woman he didn’t even love. I would never have to worry about his commitment to Yoo Yeon and me, but even though he said his girls never see their mother, I worried about their reaction when they learned that their parents were not together anymore. It may not have been a happy home, but it was all they knew. 

I knew firsthand how devastating divorce could be, especially for children. I pulled away from Taecyeon. “As much as I want to start a new life with you, I’m concerned about the emotional impact the changes will have on Soo Ra and Seo Hyun. I’m a stranger to them. Besides, your wife may suddenly decide that she’s ready to be a mother and fight you for custody. I don’t want to put them or you through that kind of pain. I’m content in knowing you’ve accepted Yoo Yeon and wants to be a father to her one day when the time is right to tell her who you are.”

“Jessica will never do that.” he said with remarkable certainly.

“How can you be so sure?”

“She gave me full custody. She doesn’t even want visitation rights, she told me.”  His voice broke.

“Oh, Taecyeon.”  I knew it must hurt him. Donghae wasn’t Yoo Yeon’s biological father, and it made me sad whenever I see the hurt on her face brought on by his neglect of her. As bad as it was for me, it had to be more devastating to hear the person you made babies with say they want nothing to do with those babies.

But still. “Is there any chance she may come back for you?” I asked.  I mean he was a hunk and the woman may have been a total idiot to have not realized that in the past, but she could suddenly wake up and decide she wanted her man back, especially if she saw him with another woman. “Six months isn’t that long ago.”

Taecyeon let out a long sigh and leaned back against the sofa. “It’s embarrassing, but we haven’t been intimate since before Seo Hyun was born. I haven’t had in almost two years.”

“Oh, goodness, Taecyeon.”  I knew this man’s passion, and for him to be without a woman for that long was just plain wrong. 

“Yeah.  Shocking, huh?”

I hadn’t been with anyone since my divorce either, but that was from fear and uncertainty, and the fact that I hadn’t found anyone worth my time.  Taecyeon was a man, a handsome, rich, y man. He could have any woman he wanted, yet he’d chosen not to. My respect and admiration for him climbed a lot higher. “I never imagined it was that bad.” I murmured.  “I mean before the divorce, and all.”

“I threatened to find another woman to take care of my needs if she didn’t.” He chuckled. “She told me that I should. Then shortly after, she filed for divorce. When I refused to sign the papers, she threatened to air our dirty laundry. I couldn’t put my girls through that. Jessica really doesn’t care about me or our children.”

“Were you ever tempted to follow through on your threat to find another woman?” I asked. 

“Many times, but…” He cupped my chin in his wide, warm palm. “I never found one who was worth going through the hassles for. Even so, I tried, Yoona. I really tried to make my marriage work. If Jessica had given me even twenty percent, and if she’d been a mother to our girls, I would stay for their sake. It just breaks my heart when she pushes them away, or just totally ignores them, like a few weeks ago when she skipped Seo Hyun’s dance recital for a day at the spa.”

The poor child.

“I told Seo Hyun that her mommy wasn’t feeling well. It didn’t lessen the hurt on my daughter’s face when she realized her mother wasn’t coming to watch her dance. Jessica and I had a big fight over it. She told me in no uncertain terms that she did not want to be a mother in any way shape or form. She said she has done her duty to her family and mine, and that she wants out for real. She packed her bags, and I haven’t seen her since. She hasn’t even called.”

“Have you called her?”

“I tried because my girls have been asking for her. But she disconnected her cell. I can’t even tell you if she’s dead or alive, Yoona.” 

My heart ached, but I said nothing. I couldn’t imagine any woman not wanting to be a mother after she’s held her precious little newborn baby in her arms.

“When I saw you with Yoo Yeon yesterday…” Taecyeon continued. “I knew you were the kind of mother my girls should have. One who would love them, be there for them. There are three thinks I can thank Jessica for. Each of my daughters and my freedom to love you. I do love you, Yoona, have loved you for six years.”

Tears ran down my cheeks. “I love you, too, Taecyeon.  I’ve always loved you, and I will love your children. I will be there for them.”

He wrapped his arms about me. “You know.  I often wonder about the ‘what if’ if you’d still been in that hotel room when I returned that morning.”

“Well, for one thing, you still would have had Yoo Yeon, but you wouldn’t have had Soo Ra and Seo Hyun. Can you imagine your life without them?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Then there is no need for regrets. We have a chance for a future together. Let’s revel in that.”

“That’s why I love you.” he said. “You’re so smart, so optimistic.  I’m going to try my hardest to make you very happy, Yoona. Give you and Yoo Yeon the life you deserve. 

I smiled into the hollow of his neck. “Just knowing you love me makes me happy, Taecyeon.  You don’t have to do anything else. I’m the luckiest woman in the world.”

“No, I’m the luckiest man.” Taecyeon said, tightening his hold on me.

We had a second chance.  A future, but I couldn’t help but wonder about the challenges we’d have to face to make it happen. Whatever they were, I was ready to confront them. As long as Taecyeon and I loved and trusted each other, anything was possible.