Stardust

Celestial Remnants

It had been a month since Minseok turned twenty-three and approximately four months since… well he didn’t like to think about it. Either way, he still thought about it, about his star that had fallen to Earth, about the times they’d spent together, about how he’d fallen for this star. There wasn’t any way he couldn’t think about it, not with the breaking news – that actually had been the talk of the town ever since Luhan appeared on Minseok’s roof - of Polaris disappearing from the night sky being the talk of every astronomer out there not to mention the regular curious citizens who mentioned it in small talk. This star was everywhere, figuratively and literally, his ashes spread and exploring the world he never got the chance to see.

The name Polaris, though known to many, became obscure to Minseok. He had no clue what Polaris was anymore, what it had been before it fell. When someone mentioned Polaris he would pause in confusion, tempted to say “No, there’s never been a star named Polaris, only Luhan” but that was his secret to keep for himself locked away deeply in his heart where no one could ever reach it.

Two months ago, Minseok had made the tough decision to move out of his comfy home in rowdy Seoul to the even rowdier and busier New York City. What possessed him to choose the Big Apple, he’d never know. Maybe it was because he thought Luhan would have liked this city filled with noise, this city that never slept.

Truthfully, genuinely, and quite frankly Minseok detested New York City with all his being. He had already struggled to keep his head straight back in Seoul but the insanity of the City That Never Sleeps proved too much for him.

At least he was away from the haunting memories that had hung in his old apartment in Seoul, which now rested in an oak chest beneath his new bed. It had taken him a week to gather up the courage to tear these memories down and stow them away where they couldn’t hurt him.

It may have seemed counter-productive though, moving to a new apartment to be rid of painful memories only to carry them with him, but Minseok found a sense of relief in uprooting himself. The remnants may have followed him but in this new setting they were out of place, unfitting, yet strangely invisible. The sheer oddity of bringing his past with him off-put Minseok in a way that made his mind queer.

He never was truly the same after losing Luhan.

“Where’d I put that pencil?” he muttered ferociously, his temper much fiery than before. “Dammit.”

The sounds of New York’s bustling streets were a cacophony of noise banging against Minseok’s window, only furthering his frustration. He stumbled through his bare apartment save for the few furniture that came with it. He hadn’t brought much with him, just some clothes, the chest, and his work supplies. There was nothing homely or cozy about his living space, that’s all it really was; a space for him to live.

And yet he did not do much living either.

Rather, he inhabited his apartment like a ghost gliding around with the inability to touch something and leave a trace of their existence behind. Luhan was more real than Minseok, in his mind.

“I swear it was right here,” hissed Minseok as he rummaged around on his desk littered with star maps, data tables, and much more. He picked up a rather large packet of paper, his college thesis paper to be more specific, and carelessly discarded it onto the desk again.

Minseok gave up scouring the desk and went into his kitchen instead to grab a drink. His eyes caught a glimpse of his distorted reflection on the refrigerator door and lo and behold, his pencil was stuck behind his ear.

“Oh, so that’s where it was,” he grumbled. Another voice laughed teasingly in the back of his mind sounding like the universe singing, and Minseok was quick to brush it away. “O-okay. I’ll grab a drink and then finish the write-up.”

Pouring a glass of water, Minseok twirled the pencil in his free hand and trudged back to his desk to work. He switched on some music and dove right in, spinning tales about the truth of stars, how bright they smile, how beautiful they look, how mystical they sound, and how east it was to fall for one. This, of course, would never be read by anyone’s eyes but his.

His actually work was far less interesting, merely his theory on the formation of galaxies. Things that were derived from science, things that when proven with science they were made to be “real” but truly they were not as real as they seemed, these were the things he revealed to the world and they revered him as intelligent and logical. Really, he was quite far from logical.

Not even an hour had passed and Minseok still remained submerged in his mind where Luhan was by his side, smiling blindingly bright much like a star should, and rambling off about how interesting life on Earth was.

He was just getting lost in that fantasy when a knock, knock, on the door snapped him from his thoughts. At first, he thought it was his neighbor’s door because he lived next to a pair of college boys who often invited their friends over to get drunk and party all night. So he hung his head again, leaned over his desk as he began scribbling more words onto the paper.

More knock, knock, knocks interrupted him and this time Minseok knew it was for him.

Reluctantly, he rose to his feet. His bones creaked and ached from crouching over, his muscles burned, and he was just tired. He made his way to the door slowly, hoping that if he took long enough the person at the door would grow sick of waiting of just leave. That wasn’t the case, however, when there came more knocks incessantly and it seemed that both parties were getting equally irritated with one another.

“Alright, alright, I’m here. Just quit knocking on the ing door,” Minseok growled as he threw open the door. “What do you want?” A frown curved Minseok’s lips downward and caused creases on his forehead.

The person at the door looked unfazed, raising one eyebrow up with his arms folded over his chest. He greeted Minseok with a barely conceived scoff, plump lips curling into a sort of snarl or a frown, tan skin in stark contrast with his plain white t-shirt and faded denim jeans, and vast dark eyes boring into Minseok’s own.

“This is it, huh?” the stranger said to himself, not at all trying to conceal his comment from Minseok or how utterly unimpressed he was. “He could’ve done much better.”

“Excuse me?” Minseok responded, flabbergasted.

“Yes, you’re excused. Now can I come in?” Although the stranger asked, he pushed past Minseok anyways, crossing the threshold into his barren apartment while Minseok stood at the door with his jaw hanging open.

“W-who? Why? What?” Minseok stammered. His mind couldn’t form any coherent questions at the moment as he was too astounded by this stranger’s audacity.

“My name is Kai. I’m here to give you a message. And, I’m a star,” replied the stranger, who Minseok could now identify as “Kai”.

“S-star…like him?” Minseok finally uttered breathlessly. He stumbled over to the couch, one foot in front of the other, step by step as if doing more than that would throw him off kilter. He sat down while Kai roamed the room, picking at nothing, nails scraping against the walls peeling off miniscule bits of beige paint. Minseok didn’t bother asking him to sit or if he wanted any food and drink.

“Yes, like Luhan,” Kai replied without glancing at Minseok.

“So, are you that Kai?”

“Yes, I’m the star Luhan told you about.”

“But how?”

“Do you have any cigs?” asked Kai suddenly.

“I’m sorry, what?”

Kai sighed and rolled his eyes blatantly. “Cigarettes. For smoking, y’know,” he stated as if he were talking to an idiot.

“Oh…no. I don’t. Smoking’s bad for you anyway,” Minseok retorted.

“Tch, fine. Do you at least have ice cream?” Preferably mint chocolate chip.” As Kai spoke, he flitted around the apartment restlessly, never stopping for more than three seconds as if he were afraid he’d be imprisoned again.

“Will you answer my questions first,” Minseok said firmly. He was quickly growing tired of Kai and his sly way of taking over the conversation and molding it in his favor. “Then, you can get your ice cream.”

Kai let out a sound similar to a grunt and a grumble of irritation but he paced over to Minseok anyways, grabbing a seat on the couch beside him. He tapped his foot incessantly on the floor though, eyes roaming the room.

“Alright,” he said. “What do you wanna know?”

So, Minseok asked him about everything, about how Kai had gotten to Earth, about how he found out about Minseok, about how he knew of the name Luhan had given him, and about Luhan.

Kai became annoyed by the many questions that spilled from Minseok’s mouth but he answered them, albeit with an air of impatience. He told him of his mysterious blackout and how he merely woke up one day in the middle of a field in some rural area located in upstate New York. He described his confusion, the fear that gripped his bones at being in this unfamiliar world so different, so much freer than his jail-like capsule.

The tale he spun enraptured Minseok in an odd way because he pictured Luhan’s face rather than Kai’s going through these hardships. He wondered, and was often paralyzed with fear, at how easily Luhan could have landed somewhere other than his roof. How would his life be like now had Luhan never entered into it? He shuddered at the very thought.

“There was one thing that guided me through this journey, this voice that led the way for me. Told me where to go, what to do, and how to do it. Whatever this voice is, it led me to you and gave me a mission,” Kai said gravely. His features turned grim as shadows drew across his face, his lips pursed, his eyebrows furrowed.

From the change in Kai’s expression, Minseok was almost afraid to ask his next question. “What mission?”

“To take you to see Luhan again.”

“What?” Minseok exclaimed, eyes almost bursting from his head. He clutched at the fabric of his shirt, hand over his heart that thrashed erratically in his chest.

But, there are some conditions,” Kai responded blandly, “firstly; it’s only for one hour. Secondly, you have to be sure that you want this. If there is any regret inside you at all after this, then that’s it for you and for me.”

“What does that mean?” Minseok had been overjoyed at the idea of seeing Luhan again, but Kai’s words were pinning him back down, dragging him from his hopes perched up high back down to a much crueler reality. “And how is that even possible? Luhan is…dead.”

“It means, if you regret this then you will forget about ever meeting a star named Luhan and I’ll be forced back into my prison,” Kai replied gruffly, glaring at the floor. His head tilted up and his eyes fell upon Minseok suddenly, and they sparked with a furious intensity, hot as a star.

“O-okay. But how will we meet?” Minseok felt his shoulders sag from a new weight, a new burden that draped over him ungraciously, curling its talons around his neck. This was not only for his sake, but for Kai’s sake as well.

“I was getting to that,” Kai snapped. “Anyways, I can’t really explain how it’s all gonna go down but basically you’re going to ‘die’. When that happens, you’ll appear in the Celestial Plane. I guess it’s a star’s version of your guys’ Heaven. From then on, I’ll guide you from this world to wear you’ll find Luhan. All you gotta do is follow the path I make, got it? Once you find Luhan, that’s when the hour starts.”

This was all too surreal to Minseok, too sci-fi, too much like a fantasy that he couldn’t get a grip on anything. His hands slipped when he tried holding onto his shirt more tightly. His body was wracked with small, inconspicuous tremors.

“Die?” he uttered.

But Kai had already risen to his feet and wandered into the kitchen, opening the fridge and freezer to scavenge for food. The tan skinned man had no interest in comforting Minseok or explaining that his “death” wasn’t really death but more like a deep slumber. Minseok would have liked to hear the details, but he had quickly learned that Kai did what he wanted when he wanted no matter what anyone said.

“Are you kidding me? Chocolate ice cream?” Kai said, turning to Minseok with the tub of ice cream in his hands and a look of disgust on his face. “I hate chocolate ice cream.”

“Then don’t eat it!” Minseok grumbled, snatching the tub from his hand and shoving it back into the freezer. “Follow me.”

Minseok heard Kai scoff behind his back but ignored him as he bustled around his apartment, throwing on a light coat over his thin t-shirt, changing into a pair of jeans, grabbing his wallet off the counter, and walking out the apartment with Kai on his heels.

“Where are we going?” asked Kai.

“To get your damn mint ice cream and to talk. You need to explain things more,” Minseok growled back.

They walked to a nearby convenience store, got the ice cream, and then returned to Minseok’s apartment building only to go up to the roof. Kai seemed content from the way he gobbled down his ice cream without saying a word to Minseok who quietly ate his own ice cream bar. When Kai finished, Minseok immediately leaped upon him to ask another question.

“What exactly do you mean by ‘die’? And when do I get to see Luhan?” Minseok stared hard at Kai, hoping that he’d understand how important these questions were.

“Okay, it’s not necessarily dying but just a deep sleep. It’ll be fine. And as to when you’ll get to see him, that’s entirely up to you.” Kai placed his empty ice cream container down beside him and then lay down, gazing up at the clouds as a satisfied sigh drifted from his lips.

For some reason, Minseok didn’t jump at this opportunity. It wasn’t that he wasn’t excited and ecstatic about being able to see Luhan, it was the fear that maybe he’d regret it. He’d finally been able to say his goodbyes, to let go, not too long ago and now this happened, dredging back strong feelings he’d attempted to suppress.

And the fact that he only had a mere sixty minutes to be with the person he loved most, he didn’t want to rush into it because that’s how regret would come. Minseok wanted to take time to think about what he’d do with just one hour. It was funny how he could kill an hour on his own with mindless activities and be satisfied but when it came to an hour with Luhan, he wanted to everything they never had the chance to do when he was alive. He wanted to cram a lifetime into sixty minutes.

“Give me a week,” Minseok finally said. He hadn’t known how long he had been into his thoughts but it was apparently a very long time because Kai flinched when he spoke and opened his eyes to look at him, blinking blearily.

“Alright, one week from today then,” Kai grumbled groggily. “I guess that means we’re roommates for a week. Where can I sleep?”

Kai was up on his feet and heading back inside before Minseok could speak a syllable. Breathing deeply to calm himself, Minseok decided it would all be worth it in the end to put up with Kai for a week if he got to see Luhan again.

---

“So remember,” Kai said and it was the most serious expression Minseok had ever seen on him, “You only have one hour, got it? So, do what you need to do. Say what you need to say. Quickly. Without regrets.”

A chill wrapped its thin fingers around Minseok’s body as he lay on his bed, eyes closed, hands folded over his chest, breathing slightly ragged. He nodded a bit, fearing what was to come. He had thought for hours on end over the past week on what he’d say to Luhan, what he’d do when he first saw him again, how he’d feel. Now that it was going to happen so soon, he trembled with anxiety and excitement.

Shivers danced over Minseok when Kai’s cool fingers touched his forehead.

“How do you know what to do?” Minseok asked in order to fill the dead silence.

“I’m just following what the voice says,” Kai mumbled.

“It’s a little disconcerting that I’m supposed to trust a guy who’s listening to a voice in his head.”

“Just shut up. I’m alive now, right? And that’s only because I trusted this voice.” Kai’s fingers pressed harder into Minseok’s forehead and temples either in concentration or irritation. Minseok would have complained or at least told him to loosen up but he was suddenly feeling extremely fatigued. His body felt weightless but his eyelids seemed to weigh a ton. His mind was fuzzy and distorted. Before long, he couldn’t feel anything at all.

 

 

The first thing Minseok could feel again was the air, a cool breeze trouncing over him, teasing the skin on his face with its gentle caress. The next thing he felt was a different kind of warmth then he was used to, like being bathed in starlight. He opened his eyes to see a sky painted pale orange and dotted with deep blue – almost black – stars. Or that was the only thing Minseok could assume they were. Of course, he knew they weren’t really stars.

Even though his one hour would begin when he met Luhan, Minseok leapt to his feet quickly, wanting to find Luhan as soon as possible. He remembered Kai telling him to follow the path he would should him but there were four paths he could take from where he stood in the middle of a crossroads.

One path was clear, with dark green shrubbery lining the edges and trees looming over it, casting shadows on the ground. Another one led into a haunting darkness with thick, overgrown bushes and trees clinging to the path. The next path was not really a path at all with greenery stretching out over what should have been dirt. The vegetation looked as if it were consuming the path altogether.

The final path, the one that drew Minseok to it most, was something out of a fantasy book or a child’s imagination. All the plants seemed to hum with vibrancy and liveliness, its surroundings a plethora of bright neon colors. There was one tree with mint green leaves dotted with chocolate brown.

Minseok chuckled because he thought of Kai and his insistence for mint chocolate chip ice cream when they first met. This must have been his sign for Minseok that this path was the right one.

Without hesitation, Minseok followed this path enraptured by the mystery of it all, captivated by its beauty. The farther he walked, however, the more the scene changed from fantastical, to beauteous, and finally to normalcy. Minseok grew puzzled by this because as the plants became less vibrant in their hues, everything seemed as if it were from his own world, not the Celestial Plane.

Minseok reached the end of the path only to find it opened up to reveal a quaint little village. And far in the distance, so far that Minseok had to squint to make it out, he thought he saw skyscrapers.

“Oh? Hello there!” a voice called out. “Are you new?”

Surprised, Minseok spun around to face this newcomer. “Who are you?”

“My name’s Zhāng Xiù1. But, I also go by and prefer Zhang Yixing,” said the man who smiled at Minseok kindly, dimples and all. “What’s your mansion? You certainly didn’t belong in mine. Maybe I’ve seen you before but just don’t remember your face or name.”

“Mansion? What are you talking about?” Minseok spluttered. He really didn’t have time for conversing with strangers who asked questions he couldn’t understand. “Never mind. I’m looking for someone so I have to go.”

“Wait, maybe I can help you out,” Yixing said, reaching out to grasp Minseok’s shoulder. “I know practically everyone in the village. And I’m good at looking for things since I always forget where I put them.”

The sheepish grin on his face made Yixing look completely childish and innocent that Minseok started to let down his guard.

“Umm…” Minseok contemplated whether getting Yixing’s help would be more beneficial than running around on his own. In the end, he decided on the former. “…sure. Why not?”

“Great! Follow me!” Yixing cheered. He practically skipped down the path towards the village; occasionally glancing back to smile and make sure Minseok was following him. “So, who are you looking for?”

“I-I’m looking for a guy named Luhan,” Minseok stammered quickly.

“Luhan?” Yixing tilted his head thoughtfully as he walked. “Hmm, hold on a sec. Let me think.”

While Yixing wracked his brain, Minseok gazed around at the scenery. It really wasn’t any different than a rural village in Korea with livestock grazing, adults working both in and outside the home, children darting from here to there. Minseok would have thought he was still in his own world if not for the pale orange sky up above and the black stars.

“Ah! Yes, now I remember!” exclaimed Yixing out of the blue, causing Minseok to jump in fright. “Oh, sorry. Did I scare you?”

“It’s alright,” Minseok mumbled. “But, do you know where he is?”

“Yes, I do! He lives in that house up on the hill over there. See it?” asked Yixing. Minseok looked over to where he was pointing and indeed saw a small house sitting by itself. “Would you like me to you there or would you rather go on your own from here?”

“I’d like to go by myself. Thank you for helping me though,” Minseok said and he meant it.

“No problem! If you ever need anything else, just come find me. Maybe you can meet my family next time!” Yixing replied. He smiled brightly one last time before waving goodbye and heading in the opposite direction.

Taking in one deep breath, Minseok began trudging towards Luhan’s home. He couldn’t understand why each step forward felt so heavy, why he struggled to make it up that hill and in front of that wooden door, why his hand shook when he lifted it to knock on the door, or why his heart was ready to explode inside his chest.

The moment came when his knuckles finally tapped against the door, lightly at first but that seemed to give Minseok more confidence, so he knocked a bit harder. There was noise from the room inside and a scrambling as if someone were rushing about to tidy up or hide something. Then, the door swung open slowly to reveal a pair of beautiful, abysmal eyes that Minseok had longed to see again.

These eyes widened and a stunning jaw dropped, leaving Luhan star struck. Neither of them said anything for a while, merely gazing intently at one another, eyes roving each other’s faces, minds asking silent questions, hearts beating wildly.

Then, they both broke. Arms flew in the air, fumbling over one another to grasp a lover they hadn’t held in what felt like ages. Hands gripped tight to fabric, tugging gently as if to test that this was real. Tears streamed down pale cheeks. Chests heaved, shoulders shuddered, and mouths muttered sweet everythings.

“Minseok,” Luhan whispered breathlessly into Minseok’s neck.

“Luhan,” Minseok murmured back into Luhan’s shoulder.

The lovers rocked gently back and forth in place, sobbing into each other. Minseok wondered where it all had gone, where all his planning went to. For the past week, he had thought for hours a day on what he’d do when he first saw Luhan again, what he’d say to him, how he’d say it. He planned out everything he’d do for Luhan in that one hour, everything he needed to tell him. He had had it scheduled down to the very last millisecond.

But now, with Luhan right in front of him, so beautiful, and just so real, Minseok didn’t know anymore. What could he possibly do with Luhan, what could he say, that would make this hour last a lifetime?

“Minseok, how did you get here?” Luhan finally pulled back, but only a bit, to look Minseok in the eyes.

“Your friend, Kai,” Minseok responded. Luhan’s mouth hung open again and he gasped loudly.

“Kai? Is he on Earth?” he shouted in his overexcitement. Minseok nodded and Luhan cried for joy again, bouncing up and down in place. “That’s great. Is he enjoying it?”

“Yeah, he’s adapted pretty well,” Minseok replied absently. His concentration was limited only for Luhan. Nothing else mattered much, not Kai nor his life back on Earth. What did matter was that Luhan was here in his arms.

“And what about you? How have you been?” Luhan asked, lips curling up tenderly.

“I’ve been alright. But it’s not the same without you,” Minseok said sincerely.

“Here, come inside.” Luhan slipped out of Minseok’s embrace but held tight to one of his hands, squeezing it gently. “Do you want anything to drink?”

Minseok shook his head, eyes always trained on Luhan whether it was the back of his head or his face. Luhan noticed this and his expression grew softer, his deep, ancient eyes contained that swirl of wisdom and emotions. He led Minseok to a good sized bed in the back corner of the one room house, pulling him roughly all of a sudden causing Minseok to stumble over his feet and crash onto the bed.

In seconds, Luhan was hovering over him, gazing at his face. “So, how did Kai get you here?”

“It’s a long story,” Minseok said, smiling.

“I like long stories,” Luhan replied. So Minseok told him of that day one week ago when Kai came into his home abruptly and brought him a message that woke him from his monotonous state of mind. Then, it suddenly rolled off into what Minseok had been doing for the past few months without Luhan, how he’d moved to New York City. Luhan was extremely interested in New York City. He asked Minseok about the people there, the sights, if it truly was busier than Seoul, and if he liked living there. By then, Luhan lay on his side next to Minseok, arms wrapped around the other’s torso, fingers dancing under Minseok’s shirt and tracing over his skin.

Minseok talked and talked until he realized that he was talking his time away. He wondered how long he had when Kai’s voice spoke softly in his mind.

Just a heads up, but you have ten minutes left. Remember, no regrets.

Only ten minutes left till he wouldn’t be able to feel Luhan’s arms around him, wouldn’t see Luhan’s captivating smile, wouldn’t hear Luhan’s melodic voice, and wouldn’t feel Luhan’s breath on his skin.

“What’s wrong?” Luhan asked when he noticed Minseok grow stiff.

“We only have ten minutes left.” It came as barely a whisper, as if Minseok thought he’d have more time if Luhan couldn’t hear him. “I don’t want to leave you.”

Luhan gathered Minseok closer to him till their faces were just a hair away. “I don’t want you to leave me either.”

“Tell me about your life here. Are you happy?” Minseok murmured shakily.

Luhan wasted no time in spilling his story of establishing his new life here, in a star’s Heaven. He was delighted that it was so much like life on Earth, a life he’d never had the chance to experience for millions of years. Now, he enjoyed strolling through the village and waving to his neighbors, going out into the forest to observe the Celestial Plane’s nature. He had ventured into the city before, the origin of the skyscrapers Minseok had glanced at before. He liked it there too and would often visit.

“But, it always felt a little sad,” Luhan said, “because I’d walk down the streets and I’d see something interesting in a window. Then I’d point and say, ‘Look Minseok, isn’t that pretty?’ but then I’d remember you weren’t there.”

“I’m sorry,” Minseok sighed.

“Don’t be crazy! You shouldn’t be sorry,” Luhan reprimanded Minseok playfully, knocking their foreheads together.

With a tiny tilt of the head, Minseok made their lips meet in the middle and he experienced another supernova. His eyes saw a burst of colors and emotion despite being closed as his lips moved along with Luhan’s. They became lost in a flurry of passion, desire, and longing that had been hidden away for so long.

Everything all came together in that moment and Minseok thought that he wouldn’t have spent that hour with Luhan in any other way. It was perfect as it was, with hushed whispers of “I love you” floating in the room and the rhythm of two hearts beating together.

In between everything, Luhan slipped something over Minseok’s head yet Minseok was too caught up in his emotions to notice. Luhan lovingly murmured things on Minseok’s lips and Minseok replied back by pressing them together even harder.

Then, Minseok abruptly fell into slumber.

 

 

He woke to the feeling of cool fingers leaving his forehead and the sound of a chair scraping across the floor. Minseok blinked a few times and saw Kai staring at him expectantly with his arms crossed.

“So? How’d it go?” Kai asked.

“It was perfect,” Minseok replied, and it was completely honest.

“No regrets?”

“None,” Minseok said firmly. And it was true. He felt renewed now, ready to take on the world by himself much more than before. He could feel Luhan’s presence within him and he knew that he was alright so he smiled.

“That’s good then.” And Kai’s smile seemed genuine too. “Hey, what’s that around your neck? You weren’t wearing that before, were you?”

Minseok sat up and did feel a slight weight on his neck which was curious because he did not wear necklaces. He slipped it off and looked at it, choking on new tears.

In his hands was a necklace with a pendant on it that Minseok understood all too well. Engraved in it was the Earth, embraced by a star, speckled in stardust. It was a piece of Luhan that Minseok carried back into his own world, remnants of an hour spent that he’d remember for the rest of his life.

The End

---

 

1 Zhāng Xiù is a Chinese constellation, one of the Twenty-Eight mansions. It's English name is Extended Net, European name is Hydra. source

Therefore, Yixing can be seen as a sort of "father" since he is technically a bunch of stars altogether. That is why he wants Minseok to meet his "family". As for the reason Yixing is in the Celestial Plane, it is because he waits to greet the stars that make him up when they come to pass.

If you're confused about anything, feel free to ask me. :)