Our Sunrise

Orange Garden Pop

☀Our Sunrise☀

This Sunday morning sunrise was a breathtaking display of radiant colors. A boy and a girl sat side by side on the soft sand, watching bright streaks of red, pink, and orange slowly overcome the dark blue and purple of the twilight sky. The sky resembled a prism; all the colors blended perfectly into each other. The sun itself was just peeking out of the horizon, and its brilliant rays already shone brightly and started to warm the air.

A big smile came over their mouths as a feeling of awe swept over them, seeing the glistening reflection of the sun on the ocean. Witnessing the sunrise was the reason why they loved to wake up early, especially for the girl, since its cheerful glow filled her heart with serenity and took her to a tranquil fantasy. To her, the light symbolized hope for her dreams. It erased the disappointments of yesterday and renewed her drive for today.

"It's a marvelous view, isn't it?" The girl rested her head on the boy's shoulder before she closed her eyes, feeling so good as the rays danced across her face.

He kissed her softly on the forehead and leaned his cheek against her head. "Yeah. For me, sunrises are one of the most calming and beautiful things on earth," he responded with a grin as he put his arm around her.

The girl opened her eyes and gazed at him. "So I'm not beautiful enough for you." She pouted, pretending to sulk.

She actually agreed with his statement. She thought the sunrise was quieter and softer than the sunset. It crept ever so gently over the Earth's horizon, caressing the ever lightening sky with a blush of color like a mother kissing her sleeping baby. Sunrises brought a different kind of beauty; they signified the promise of a brand-new day – a new beginning.

At the sight of her pouty expression, the boy let out a chuckle. He thought she was pretty adorable. "Park Jiyeon, you're so beautiful like the sunrise at dawn. Your beauty is truly captivating; your silence is definitely enticing, and your movement is so compelling just like the sunrise," he sang softly in her ear. "I am so lucky to have you in my life. I adore and love you so much."

She held his hand in hers; their fingers intertwined. "Kim Myungsoo, I'm so grateful to be with you. As sure as the sunrise, as eternal as the ocean is my love for you," Jiyeon sang loudly and joyfully. Her words made his heart bloom like a flower, a huge grin decorating his face.

As he tightened his arm around her, they exchanged smiles and fell silent as they listened to the gentle sounds: the sound of waves crashing against the shore and the sound of the wind blowing. They had known each other since childhood; they had been in love since their school days, and they had just gotten engaged two weeks ago. Since then, the girl had been staying with him at his residence near the beach. He was only one year older than her. The girl was still studying at a university while the boy had already graduated from college a year ago. He had been teaching music at ABC Academy, a private music school owned by his best friend's father.

This beach was Myungsoo's special place. Whenever he had worries, he came here and realized how big the world was; he felt like that gave him hope. A few hours had passed, but they remained silent, enjoying the views and the soothing sounds of nature. Listening to the sounds of nature was very restful and relaxing. Myungsoo and Jiyeon watched as the waves moved seamlessly across one another. They rose confidently against the wind as if to defy its force. On the sea, a good number of boats could be seen; they were rocking in rhythm with the current of the sea. Some seagulls flew by slowly over the sea while on other occasions, they just flew away, making a loud squawking sound. Moments later, a group of children ran along the golden sand, playing happily.

Jiyeon suddenly stood up. "What are you going to do?" Myungsoo inquired as she rolled up her pants to her knees. They were both still in their pajamas, having gotten up only to stumble out and watch the sunrise that only happened early in the morning.

She just gave him a smile and began walking barefoot along the shoreline, letting her long, wavy, chocolate brown hair fly in all directions and feeling the cool waves touch her feet. The crest was almost high enough to wash over her feet, and she watched in fascination as each little cloud of foam dispersed against the sand before the water was dragged back out to the sea. Then she closed her eyes and just listened to the sound of the waves hitting the ocean shore. Smiling, she took a deep breath, and it brought the smell of the sea to her nostrils. She loved the salty smell of the sea – it was invigorating.

Myungsoo got up and strode up to her with a small grin on his face. He slipped his arms around her waist and tugged her against his chest, which made her eyes fly open in shock. He inhaled deeply – taking in her scent, absorbing the warmth and softness of her body before he spun her around and captured her lips. With one hand holding the back of her head and the other grabbing her by the waist to pull her closer to him, he deepened the kiss, his tongue plundering . Jiyeon closed her eyes and melted into his kiss, running her hands up and down his back. Minutes later, he broke the kiss, and she gently bit her bottom lip as he looked deep into her big doe-like eyes.

"Jiyeon, I can't wait to meet you at the altar." He simpered as he ran his fingers through her hair affectionately, his brown eyes lit up with mirth.

"Me too." She beamed as she brought her hands up to his face lovingly. Then silence crept upon them. They weren't taking their eyes off each other; it looked like they were in deep conversation and in their own little world.

"Myung-myung," Jiyeon began humming after a long silence. "Myung-myung...Myung-myung."

He flashed her a big, bright smile, showing his cute dimples. "What's up?"

She shook her head, her eyes sparkling with happiness as she continued humming, "Oh, Myung-myung-"

"Why do you keep calling me Myung-myung?" he interrupted as he gave her nose a playful tweak, keeping a smile on his face, and then he began singing cheerfully: "My darling, I want to know what makes you happy. Your eyes sparkle like gems, like the most precious of jewels; they light up the bright blue sky. Oh, you're my beautiful sunshine."

"Those are sweet nothings," Jiyeon responded, a small grin spreading across her face as she smacked his hand away lightly. "You know, Myung-myung is simply cute; it's a rhyme. I love it."

A subtle frown creased his brow. Myung-myung, Myung-myung. Myungsoo constantly repeated it in his mind as he looked up, watching the white clouds move slowly, blown by the wind across the blue sky. He let out a long sigh, feeling the sun touch his skin. Myungsoo slightly nodded his head as he found it sounding cute just like she said. He tapped his chin, thinking: Ji-ji or Yeon-yeon: which one I should choose?

"What are you thinking about?" She snapped her fingers in front of his face.

He stared at her. "Yeon-yeon," he began.

"Hmm? Are you calling me?" she questioned, raising her eyebrows.

It sounds a bit awkward to my ears. He shook his head and took her hands, winding his fingers with hers. "Ji-ji... Ji-ji," he whispered in her ear. "Let's go home."

She released his hand and flung it away from her. "Myung-myung, please don't call me Ji-ji. You know, it sounds so annoying. It seems like you're mocking me!" A pleading tone crept into her voice, edging her words with its shrill presence. She started strolling away, but Myungsoo quickly grabbed her wrist before she could take another step.

"Why are you getting mad over such small things?" Myungsoo spun her around and pulled her closer. "Okay, I won't call you that again. I swear." He gently his future wife's cheek and shifted wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Myung-myung, I'm not angry. You just annoy me," Jiyeon countered with a small smile as she put her hands on his shoulders.

"Jiyeon, I call you Yeon-yeon, how about that?" He grinned. "Does it sound irritating?"

Jiyeon shook her head. "No, it sounds a bit odd to my ears, but it's okay. You can call me that," she replied.

Without saying anything else, he picked her up bride-style. "Myung-myung, please put me down!" she screamed joyfully and pretended to flail as she enjoyed being carried bride-style all the way to the house.

His lips curled into a playful smirk, seeing her reaction. Jiyeon pressed her cheek against his chest, listening to his thumping heartbeat as Myungsoo hummed his heart out:

Yeon-yeon, you're my beautiful sunshine, the smile on my face,
And your warmth totally surrounds me.
You make me happy when times are down;
Thinking of you, I know you won't be replaced.
You'll never know how much I love y-

He was interrupted by her soft voice:

Myung-myung, I know how much you love me;
I see love glistening in your eyes.
I feel love in the warmth of your eyes;
I feel the love in the warmth of your arms,
And in the tremble of your kiss.

She let out a silent laugh upon humming those words. She never thought she could say such sweet nothings. Jiyeon's soft voice was music to Myungsoo's ears, and it comforted him. Myungsoo stopped in his tracks and said, "Yeon-yeon, you're so cheesy." He gave her a quick peck on the lips.

"You too, Myung-myung." Jiyeon flashed him a big cheesy smile, showing her bright white teeth. They laughed together before continuing to walk to their house.