Cherry Blossoms

Ces Rêves De Vous (These Dreams Of You)

 

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

~Dr Seuss

 

            The cherry blossoms fell like a light rain, soft pink petals landing against Jinyoung’s face as he lay beneath the tree in bloom. His eyes shifted from petal to petal as they broke from the branches. Jinyoung furrowed his brow at the tree; it was month too early for them to be blooming. Twisting his head Jinyoung glanced behind the tree at the bright blue sky spotted with clouds. Only moments ago he was lying against his bed trying painfully to fall asleep. Jinyoung sighed and sat up, glancing around him he noticed other people admiring the cherry blossoms.

            Jinyoung stood up and brushed himself off, he smiled as he made his way around the park and spotted a boy around his age lying on the grass. The boy was lying on his stomach drawing happily into a sketchbook. He had the most adorable smile that made Jinyoung unable to look away, it felt like a magnet was pulling him in, closer to the boy.

            Not paying much attention, Jinyoung sat down next to the boy; the boy jumped and slowly turned to his new companion.

            “Hello?” he smiled, “Can I help you?”

            Jinyoung grinned, “No, I was just watching.”

            “Oh…” the boy blinked and turned back to his sketchbook, “did you want me to sketch you?”

            “Uh, sure.”

            The boy smiled again and turned to Jinyoung, “good, I need the practice. Plus, it’s the least you could do since you interrupted me.”

            Chuckling Jinyoung scooted directly in front of the boy, “what’s your name?”

            The dark haired boy pursed his lips and watched Jinyoung for a moment, “Gongchan, what’s your name?”

            “Jinyoung,” he grinned as Gongchan pulled his sketchbook up and began scribbling away. Jinyoung watched as the boy’s dark eyes flickered back and forth between his face and the paper making sure to copy every detail. Every so often the corner of Gongchan’s lips would pull into a smile for a moment before he buried his head back into the sketchpad. A slight blush rushed across the boy’s face as he held out the sketchpad for Jinyoung to see. Jinyoung reached out his hand to grab the book and brushed his fingers against Gongchan’s arm; the boy blushed and recoiled slightly.

            Holding the sketchbook out in front of him Jinyoung smiled; the drawing was beautiful, even for such a quick sketch the lines were perfect and resembled him completely. Jinyoung breathed in deep, overcome with a sudden urge of emotion he clenched his teeth together biting back the sting of tears.

            “Are… Are you ok?” Gongchan peered up at Jinyoung, “It’s bad isn’t it… I’m sorry.”

            “No,” Jinyoung wiped his eyes, “it’s amazing. I don’t know why, but it reminded me of something… but I’m not sure what.”

            Gongchan watched Jinyoung with a worried expression; he reached out his hand and gently rubbed the man’s arm. Jinyoung smiled feeling the boy’s fingers against his skin, he turned to the boy and returned the drawing book. The wind suddenly picked up causing the pages of the sketchpad to flip erratically; the temperature dropped and although Jinyoung could still feel the boy’s hand against him, it no longer felt real. Jinyoung tore his eyes away from the boy and glanced around the park; the previously full blooming trees were bare and a sheet of darkness was slowly enclosing him.

            Blinking at his surroundings Jinyoung gasped; he opened his eyes only to be met with his own familiar room. Jinyoung sighed and fell back against the bed; pulling his hands up to his face he pressed his palms into his eyes as streams of salty tears rolled down his cheeks and landed on his pillow.

            “Who are you?” Jinyoung sighed; he stared at the clock watching the minutes turn into hours until he was forced to get up. Every day, every night made it more and more difficult to get up and get on with his life. The vivid dreams made it so much more painful to wake up and the feeling he was forgetting something didn’t help the situation either. Jinyoung pulled on his school uniform and tightened his tie before leaving the house and making his way to school.

            It didn’t really bother him that he was having dreams about this particular boy but Jinyoung knew him somehow and he couldn’t place him and that bothered him. The dreams felt so real and the emotions he felt during the dream remained long after he woke up; as the days passed by his feelings only seemed to grow stronger. He felt like he was losing himself and falling in love with a non-existent person.