Lifetimes before God

His proposal....(Hiatus)

Hani sighed; she knew that the day would arrive when her parent’s would tell her that they had arranged a marriage for her. She felt disappointed with them, she had already introduced her boyfriend to them but they had still insisted on an arranged marriage. There was a knock on the door and Choi Siwon entered with his parents. Hani looked at him in shock. She was expecting the son of a different company, not her boyfriend. Her parents stood up and bowed to Siwon’s parents before doing the customary greetings during an arranged marriage meeting. Waiters walked in and placed food in front of them before the parents started talking. Hani, tuned most of it out though, it was all related to the merge of the two companies. Hani had no interest in that as it was her older brother who would become president anyway. Throughout the whole dinner Hani politely answered all the questions Siwon asked her but ignored him most of the time.

When Siwon got home to his apartment, he sent Hani a text asking if she was alright and if he had done anything wrong. After about an hour without a reply he decided to call Kibum asking him for advice. Neither he nor Kibum could come up with a reason for Hani’s strange behaviour so Siwon decided to go to sleep.

Meanwhile, at Hani’s apartment, Hani lay on her bed fuming. She had told Siwon earlier in the week that she had a possible arranged marriage meeting and Siwon had dismissed the thought as if nothing was wrong. She wondered if he knew about meeting earlier than her. Normally a male would be betrayed if their girlfriend had an arranged marriage meeting. Siwon’s casualness disturbed her and she came to the conclusion that he did know about it. Deeply saddened by the thought she wondered if any of their relationship had been real. She cried herself to sleep and decided that she would confront Siwon tomorrow.

The next morning Hani found that she had no courage to confront Siwon on the issue so she decided to go to church to ask for some guidance. When she arrived she found it empty so she sat in front, praying to God for some answers. Siwon was woken up by a call from his manager telling him that his schedule had been cancelled. Siwon jumped out of happiness and decided to ask Hani out for a date. While scrolling through his contacts he remembered what had happened last night. He called Hani’s apartment and mobile phone but there was no answer. He called all of Hani’s friends but they couldn’t contact her either.

During the five months he had been together with Hani, he had discovered that whenever she was upset she would find solace in the church. This was one of the things he loved best about Hani. Their belief in God was very strong and was an important factor in their relationship. With this in mind he drove over to the church that he would attend mass in when he had spare time. Just as he expected Hani was sitting in front.

When Hani heard footsteps approaching her she turned and saw Siwon walking towards her. She hastily wiped away her tears and tried to walk past him towards the entrance. Siwon grabbed her hand and pulled her into a hug.

“Was any of it real?” Hani asked, trying to get out of the hug.

“What do you mean?” Siwon asked, confused.

“Us. Our relationship. The dates, the kisses any of the words you said to me?”

“All of it was real. Why do you doubt any of it?”

“Just say the truth! What am I to you? An obligation to your parent’s wishes?” Hani cried, more tears coming out.

“You were never an obligation! I loved you before my parents told me that they wanted you as their daughter in law!”

“Then why didn’t you tell me that you knew about it? Do you know how scared I was when I heard about the meeting? How worried I was?”

“There was a reason why I didn’t tell you!”

“What type of reason could you have? I’m just an obligation aren’t I!”

“If you were an obligation I wouldn’t be doing this!” He shouted, dragging her in front of the altar.

When he got there he kneeled and pulled out a box. Hani gasped and covered , her eyes widening by the second. Siwon grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes.

“I told everyone that that I would only propose to the girl I loved in the same place my father proposed to my mother in. You are that girl and this is the church where my parents got engaged. My parents and your parents also got married here and this was also the church where we were baptised. Because I love only you I am going to keep this church in my life. I want you with me forever. If I didn’t love you I wouldn’t be here in front of you right now. You were never an obligation. I believed that God would lead me to the right woman and he did. Before God I am asking you to marry me and I know that he will give you the right answer.”

Weak with relief Hani sank to her knees hugging Siwon.

“I will! I’m sorry I ever doubted you!” she answered sobbing in relief. “I always knew that this Church was special to me but why didn’t you tell me that this was where you’re parents got married too?”

“Because I knew God would give you the answer when you needed it,” he replied kissing her on the forehead and drying her tears. “Saranghae Park Hani.”

“I love you too, Choi Siwon”

The parish priest walked in and found the two kneeling in front of the altar. He was the same priest that had married their parents and he was happy to find that the two had finally found each other. He walked back outside to give them privacy and to distract parishioners who would be arriving soon for the Sunday morning mass.