Chapter 37

Love Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
37;

 

They say love comes in the most unexpected time...

 

 

"Yeobo, the results from the last DNA Test had arrived." I heard my father tell mom, their hushed voices seeping through the thick material of the concrete wall. With hesitant steps, I inched out of my comfort zone and closer into the wooden door. This is the 13th time. The 13th time they did the test, each of which done with a different girl. Please. I'm begging you...please let it be right this time.

 

With clenched fist, I put my ear nearer to the door and waited for the news. But something in the faint hesitance and delicate tune of my father's voice tell me not to expect too much.

 

"N-No match was seen. She—She is not our daughter." I heard my father say and I swear. I swear I just heard my mother's world crash right behind the wooden material of this door. I felt my grip loosen, my heart stopping and my whole existence put to drain. Again. Another false hope. Another broken heart.

 

"B-But I was sure this time! S-She...That girl had her eyes. She has Suzy's eyes!" I trembled at the mention of ther name. "Let me talk to them...They must be doing it wrong." then I heard a loud clump hinting the fall of something solid. I reckon that the telephone fell due to my mother's frantic actions.

 

"Honey, you say that to every girl..." my knees felt wobbly after hearing the exasperation and devastation in Dad's voice. He must be tired. I bet we all are.

 

"Ani...Blood. They might not be getting enough blood to yield an accurate result. Call them honey, I'll let them all the blood in my veins if I have to—" I can hear her muffled sobs. Dad must have pulled Mom into a comforting embrace.

 

"Yeobo, let's just stop this eo? This is the 13th time we got it wrong, I think that number is enough for us to face the truth. We've had enough heartbreaks honey; five whole years of heartbreaks. I think we've been dying for so long. I think...I think it's time to start living again. Suzy..." my father sounded so weak saying her name. The name I've been trying to avoid for as long as I can remember, "Suzy must be watching over us right now, and I know she won't be happy seeing you this way...seeing us this way."

 

"No...NO! Stop saying Suzy is dead. My daughter is NOT DEAD you hear me!? She's not—She's not dead...my baby is not dead." and then there was more of that sobbing and cries that I refuse to hear. I slowly and carefull stepped away from the wooden door, afraid that they might open it and see their useless daughter standing outside their room and just be reminded that indeed, their good daughter is gone and the bad one seemed to be the only one left. As I look up on it, I realized how high and wide the door is, separating me from my family—or was it the other way around. I don't know.

 

With burning eyes, filled with sinful tears that threaten to fall any minute, I paced away from the loud devastation of my family. I can feel my heart pounding fast and hard against my chest but I can't seem to hear it through the sound of my family and my life breaking apart.

 

And you know what the sick part is?

There is no one to blame except me. This is all my fault.

This is all you fault Choi Krystal.

 

 

 

at the most unexpected place... 

 

"Hey. Did you see that hot transferee? I heard he's from this class!"

 

I heard some girls talking and giggling beside me. I can't believe how these people manage to find something to gossip about. It's the first day of school for crying out loud! We don't even know the names of half the people in this room. I stared at the lines of the book I am reading, not really understanding the words but hey, I need some excuse to avoid being talked to okay. Suddenly I am aware of the budding acquaintances happening around me. People who weren't talking moments ago act like they have known each other even before time began. I hear their laughters. I hear their joy.

 

Good for them. They must be living well, unlike some of us.

 

I closed the book in a loud thud. I guess the thing had already served its purpose. Several students around me jerked up and stopped murmuring. I can feel some of them glaring at me, but who cares right? Well, I have lived most of my life barely meeting the eyes of people that matters to me. A few glares from people that doesn't won't hurt.

 

I stood up and left the room. It's still too early for class anyway. Plus, I don't plan on hearing all their wonderful stories about the best vacation they've had in their entire lives—or—about the best gift their parents have given them for the holidays. No. I don't plan on hearing that. The more I listen, the more I feel envious; the more I feel envious, the more I feel miserable and being miserable is not something my pride can take.

 

My Ipod is turned in full volume, not letting me hear even the loud cheers of the people at the soccer field. I walked along the path surrounding the campus. It's amazingly beautiful and serene in here. I didn't think there would be this much green, thanks to the abundant trees and flowers enveloping the rather dull grasses. My eyes were focused on how my steps create shadows on the ground I'm stepping on. I was focusing on the littlest of things except at where I was heading. So it didn't surprise me that I bumped into someone along the way. I just ignored the interruption and continued on pondering on if my shadow would be much longer if I am a few centimeters longer. I mean I'm not short or anything but—

 

"YA!!"

 

I heard someone shout. I was surprised by the thundering voice, but I was even more surprised that I can hear him over the loud music filling my auditory senses. Just how loud must this person be shouting for me to hear him over the perfect notes of EXO's Baby Don't Cry? I took the buds off my ear and turned around, only to be surprised by the rage and annoyance I see in the face of the boy (most probably the student I bumped into earlier) who is now stomping walking his way towards me. I took a step back, suddenly feeling anxious of how the boy looks at me and how I see smoke coming out of his nose and ears (but that was just me exaggerating of course).

 

"W-wae?" I almost want to slap myself at how weak my voice sounds. Looking at the boy up this close makes me feel flushed and that something else that I don't know how to put into words. Okay, fine. I have seen a lot of hot boys in my life. Some had even tried to make a move on me, but looking back and comparing them with this boy right here? Standing in front of me, his hazelnut hair covering his line of sight of just enough to have a glimpse of those shining brown eyes (I didn't know people's eyes can be that deep), even the crease on his forehead doesn't do much to change at how fine he looks.

 

"Why? Waah~" he chuckled and I held my breath. His voice is even more attractive than how I imagined it to be, wait. What? What the hell am I thinking? I can't just let this stranger sway me just by his looks and his grave-deep voice! "I can't believe you're asking me why?" he continued. Now I am honestly confused. Putting his ridiculously attractive face aside, I really don't have a clue at what he's talking about.

 

"Well, you better believe it cause I really don't have any idea on why you're talking to me right now." I said while crossing my arms and giving him one of my most intimidating looks. Good job Krystal. Well done.

 

But instead of the common looks of defeat that I see whenever I give them 'the look', all that dawned to me is the boy's hearty laugh and deafening chuckle. He's shining, I thought to myself, but then again I contemplated that it's probably just because of the rays of the sun shining behind him making a beautiful silhouette around his profile. I almost counted the numbers of beats my own heart skipped.

 

"You're really funny little miss." I scrunched at the name. I may not be tall, but I'm most definitey not little. "You-" he pointed at himself next, "just bumped me so hard that all my things fell down this cliff," I followed his finger towards the 'cliff' he was referring to and chuckled silently cause the distance didn't even surpass two feet, but yes, I can see his books and things below the cliff (which is most definitely not a cliff), "and yet you didn't even stop to apologize. Tell me, is there justice in what you've done?" he asked while flaking his hands in the air. Again, I fought the urge to laugh cause man, this boy might be fine as hell but he's just as equally dorky and dumb.

 

"I apologize when I think it's fitting to apologize."I said calmly.

 

"So you mean, this-" he pointed to his arm (which probably means it hurts from the impact) "and that," now pointing to his things below, "is not worth an apology?" he said completely agitated, and now it's my turn to feel annoyed. How can someone be so loud with things just as petty as this? There are a lot of things in the world that is worth this much energy and this is most definitely not it.

 

"Look. I don't know why you're being this loud and how you manage to have this much energy early in the morning but in case you haven't noticed, I'm not in the mood for any human interaction right now. So if you'll please excuse me-" I turned around.

 

What happens next surprised me and totally caught me off guard.

 

The boy grabbed my arm at that exact part where lines of my frustration and despair show. It's still hurting, given the fact the the wounds are still fresh. Dad didn't go home last night and mom is too drunk to even be called sane and so I took my blade and drowned myself to the one thing I can have control of: pain. Of course, I wasn't afraid that someone would see it since my uniform is long-sleeved and of course no one would even bother.

 

I winced in pain and the boy's grip faltered and weakened on my arm. I can his eyes soften and crinkled almost at the same time as tiny stains of fresh blood start to line my white sleeves. I pulled my arm off his grip and tried to hide the silent ahs of pain that came with it.

 

"Alright. I'm sorry for bumping you." I said whilst trying to hide the tremble in my voice still caused by the lingering pain in the expanse of my arm. I knew I should have put a dressing on top of it this morning. My eyes met his and was shocked at the look of concern on his face. I shook my head mentally because no. There is no chance that this stranger is concerned with me.

 

No. People stopped being concerned ages ago.

 

Not wanting to feed the strange emotions inside me, I walked away from the chocolate-eyed stranger and remembered how wrong it is for me to be asking for more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The emotions that the boy stirred inside of me are both troubling yet pleasant at the same time. These feelings reached a whole new level when the stranger became no longer a stranger but a familiar face with a name. Kim Myungsoo. His name is Kim Myungsoo, which is the reason why our classmates playfully link his name with that of the comedian Park Myungsoo woud just earn them a smirk and a smile while saying Come on, we all know the difference between us is like heaven and earth, in which they would just nod in agreement.

 

The face is enough of a reason to stop them from calling him a Park Myungsoo reincarnate.

 

It's odd that having Myungso as my classmate didn't bother me at al. Well, okay. His frequent pranks and childish jokes bothered me a bit, but then his presence is not something I consider unpleasant. I actually like having him around. Day after day, I find myself getting used to his loud and deafening voice that the silence in the house becomes more evident than it was before. It's really pretty shocking considering that I really despise all the thing and pranks he pulls on me.

 

But what really bothers me is the tiny moments. Those small fluttering moments when I find myself feeling a little bit more attached to him than anything else. Those simple gestures that he does despite the annoying words and childish actions. Those moments where I find myself fall into something I'm not supposed to be falling into.

 

I do not know when it started, or how it started. Probably it was because of those eyes that seem to see right through me, or maybe it was because of his smile. Not the exaggerated and loud smile he gives whenever he is having fun with other people. It's the soft smile he gives me whenever I accidentally meet his eyes. May it be inside the classroom, or outside the gym. In the library, the canteen or even at the sidewalk where we first met. He just seems to be anywhere I am, and no matter how much I try to fight it, my eyes always-always finds its way towards him.

 

(Him looking back at me every single time is a huge bonus of course.)

 

Everytime he flashes me that smile, I wanted to be selfish. I want to be selfish and claim that he only smiles that way for me. That he gives me the privelage to be cared for by someone as bright and as amazing as Kim Myungsoo, cause really, he is.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Every day, I get to be reminded of how much of an amazing person Myungsoo is.

 

Of how he is the guy who knows everyone’s names, nicknames and remembers each one of their birthdays (he also makes sure he greets them personally himself). Of how he is the guy who checks on even the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter