Were You...? I Guess Not.

Unnoticed Beauty

 

DAY 2

                If there will be days that Baekhyun would hate, it would be Wednesdays. Why? Because they have PE. And Baekhyun simply doesn’t do sports. He’s more of the chess master, or the lab geek. He just wasn’t cut out for sports. He lazily stands up and takes a bath. Afterwards, he dressed up, the usual: blouse, skirt, doll shoes… Baekhyun doesn’t like it one bit but somehow he liked the attention. Not from the students swooning around her fake s and his delicate , but the attention he got from Chanyeol. He even asked his mom to lend him some make-up. Yep. His mom didn’t walk in on him; it was the other way around. His mom kind of likes to be in, and she’s got stuff any trendy girl would have. He made himself look beautiful on purpose, just so Chanyeol would compliment him. Though he already knows what Chanyeol thinks of him. And since Chanyeol mentioned a lot of times that he was attractive, maybe this was good. The 'walking together to school' was not intentional though. He does think that he looks ty in the very short skirt. Nevertheless, he couldn’t complain about Chanyeol escorting him, he even liked the idea.

               

After preparing for school and eating breakfast, his phone vibrated. It was Chanyeol.

 

To: Baekhyun

Rise and shine, pretty girl~ your knight in shining armor is here~ ;)

 

Baekhyun blushes. He wonders how this dork manages to make him blush with everything. He shouts goodbye to his mom that is still upstairs and goes outside. He widens his eyes. Chanyeol’s curls were long gone. It was straight now, and darker.

 

Thump. Thump. Thump. Baekhyun acts as if it was the same Chanyeol he sees everyday. But it was not. There were sparkles in his eyes. He was more attractive. Baekhyun couldn’t help but stare. He got to his side without a word, and they started walking. It was silent once again. The two couldn’t figure out why they were awkward all of a sudden. They didn’t like it. Chanyeol stops, and Baekhyun does too.

 

“You… don’t like my hair…?” Chanyeol asks consciously. Baekhyun was shocked at the sudden question.

 

Why would I hate something this beautiful? “No…” Baekhyun shakes his head. “No! I mean… I like it. You look better.” Baekhyun finds himself pursing his lips, not wanting the words to escape out of his mouth.

 

You look handsome. I love you, dammit!

 

Chanyeol nods, smiling heartily.

 

Thump. Thump. Thump. Baekhyun’s heartbeat was very loud again. He hates how Chanyeol does this weird sorcery towards him. It’s just… Baekhyun couldn’t find the words to describe it.

 

 

 

 

 

Physical Education. Baekhyun irks at the word physical and education put together. Firstly, he doesn’t like physically draining work. And another, he doesn’t like studying. Yes, he was a smartass, but he didn’t like taking time to read or to learn anything aside from Science and Math. So summing it all up, he wasn’t interested. Maybe this is the reason why he can’t fight the guys in the men’s room; because he hates these kinds of things. And damn here is Wednesday again. He doesn’t get why he had to do this. He doesn’t want to be a boxer or a martial artist or an athlete in the near future. All he wants was to sit in a chair and face a computer. And this period was making it too hard for him. He sighed and entered the gym showers where his gym clothes are.

“Nice !”

“Hey there pretty~”

“Are you lost miss?”

 

Baekhyun ignores the comments. He was not interested in what they have to say. Then, arriving at his locker, he started to his blouse. Until someone appears and leans on the lockers.

“You know that they are practically ogling at you, Baekhee-ssi.” Chanyeol commented, rather unhappy about the situation.

“Let them ogle at nothing. You know I don’t have s. Plus, I can’t enter the girls’ shower either. Now go away and let me dress up in peace.” Baekhyun said. He was irritated again. He just, hold grudges against PE. He always seems to get hurt so he doesn’t like it.

Chanyeol nods, then hands him a paper bag. “What’s this?” Baekhyun asks, but Chanyeol only gave him a playful smile and walked away. Opening the bag, he finds a girl’s PE uniform. He clenches his fist in annoyance.

 

“PARK CHANYEOL YOU !”

 

 

Baekhyun finally exits the showers, dressed in short shorts practically hogging his thighs, instead of those comfortable above-the-knee-length shorts boys wear. He bit his lip.

“Byun Baekhyun, walk faster!” Mr. Lee shouted, and Baekhyun went to the group of boys gathered around their teacher. “Now… you may look like a girl, but that’s no excuse. You’ll play with the boys.”

Well that surely sounded wrong. Baekhyun thought, but nods anyway.

“So… I’ve already created a team. But today, we’re not the only class playing, there’ another section that will be playing against you. Our sport for this term is volleyball.” Everyone nods, and Baekhyun couldn’t care less. “I picked the first six, and they would be… Chanyeol, Youngjae, Minseok, Dongsun, Tao…”

Everyone looks at Tao, including the disinterested Baekhyun.

Oh yeah. I forgot he was part of this class. Chanyeol bitterly thinks.

“…and, Baekhyun.” The teacher says and everyone widens their eyes.

“ME?!” Baekhyun’s voice echoes through the gym. “Why would I be picked?!”

“I’ve made my decision. You don’t participate that much in my class, and I figured this could be a start.” The teacher smiles and leaves Baekhyun’s mouth gaping. Then he feels an arm placed on his waist.

“Don’t worry Baekhyun-ssi… I’ll protect you.” Tao winked and walked away, and Baekhyun couldn’t believe his jaw could open that wide. Chanyeol on the other hand, sends death glares to Tao’s back.

“So… you two are on winking-terms now?” Chanyeol bitterly asks, and Baekhyun was still stunned about the wink. “YA! Answer me!”

Baekhyun snaps, “Sorry!” he apologizes. “Uhm… Yesterday… he saved me yesterday. That’s why we seem close. That’s it.” Baekhyun discloses.

“Save you? I didn’t hear you talking about him saving you yesterday.” Chanyeol asked, confused. He didn’t see Tao at the men’s room, or maybe he just doesn’t care.

“Well he did. And wah~ Have you seen his moves?”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “Anyways, who was it that tried to hurt you yesterday?”

Baekhyun shifts his gaze, and widened his eyes… “It was… them…” he said, pointing to a group of guys that had just arrived in the gym. Baekhyun immediately grabbed Chanyeol’s hand… The taller tightens his grip.

“Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol! Get to the court right now!” their teacher bellows, and they walked to the court. They stood at the front row, Baekhyun in the middle of Tao and Chanyeol, and their opponents were the same opponents Tao fought yesterday. The opposite team glared at them, which was returned by Tao and Chanyeol.

                The loud whistle was heard, and then the feud started. Baekhyun stood there, unmoving; while Chanyeol and Tao blocks the ball every time it was directed to Baekhyun.

It’s like yesterday all over again. Baekhyun thinks, still not moving, appalled by everything. His eyes remained wide, as every ball that manages to fly through their court was blocked by two towers, accompanied by the word ‘mine’. And then when the exchange of hits on the ball got tougher, it was heading towards Baekhyun’s direction.

 

And it was all black.

 

 

 

 

 

                Baekhyun woke up with a huge headache. He didn’t open his eyes, not yet. There was so much throbbing that he couldn’t find the strength to do so. But then he heard the door open and his eyes shot open. It was Chanyeol. Chanyeol settled on the seat beside the clinic’s bed.

“What happened…?” Baekhyun asks.

“I… uh…”

 

It was a tough fight. But the fight doesn’t seem to be between the opposite teams, but a fight between Tao and Chanyeol. They kept on shouting mine, and the others on the back row were simply looking at the two. They didn’t even get to rotate, because the ball didn’t get to land on the floor.

I’m better than Tao, Baekhyun. He might know martial arts but I’m so much better at protecting you. Chanyeol thought as he jumped and blocked the ball directed to him. But then, the ball was directed to Baekhyun.

“MINE!” Tao and Chanyeol chorused, and as they run for the ball, they end up running into each other. They fell to the floor, along with Baekhyun, who was hit hardly on the head.

The ball finally landed on the floor, but it struck Baekhyun’s head first. They stood up and went to Baekhyun, pushing each other out of the way, as if to say ‘I will take care of him’.

“I’ll carry him, seonsaengnim!” Chanyeol says.

“No, I’m more built, I’ll carry him.” Tao suggests.

“I’m the best friend, I’ll carry him.” Chanyeol argues.

“STOP!” Their teacher shouts. “Chanyeol, you accompany him to the clinic. Tao, stay for class.” The teacher says, and Chanyeol looks teasingly at Tao, who rolled his eyes.

 

“Yeah… and that… uhuh.” Chanyeol said.

“You do know that I didn’t understand a word you said right?” Baekhyun comments, while Chanyeol continues to reminisce his triumph against Baekhyun’s crush.

“I told you I can protect you.”

“What?” Baekhyun asks, blushing.

“UH… No! I wasn’t supposed to say that!” Chanyeol explains.

Baekhyun doesn’t want to act strange and comments, “HAHA. Just tell me if you have fallen for me, Chanyeol. I won’t mind.” He teases and smiles.

 

Thump. Thump. Thump. Both hearts beat loud as they look at each other. Baekhyun shyly smiles, and Chanyeol still couldn’t comprehend this feeling.

 

“No way! Why would I fall for you? You’re a guy, and you’re my bestfriend. Seriously, it’s like being against all odds.” Chanyeol says.

 

And within a second, the hearts that were in sync suddenly changed rhythms.

 

One was sad.

 

And the other…

 

Confused.

 

-----------------------------------------------------

A/N: I was so inspired to write this. Thank you guys~

And don't you think Chanyeol looks handsome in this hairstyle?