Long handwritten note,deep in your pocket

When Autumn Falls
April 1st, 2011 7:17 AM
 
 
The sky was a beautiful color of blue and Gaeul couldn't help thinking that a beautiful day was ahead of her. She felt Sunny's paws on her, asking the girl to wake up. The golden retriever started to her face and Gaeul knew that it was time. 
 
Downstairs, Gaeul's mother was cooking American Pancakes, Gaeul's favourite, as she did every first day of spring. Her dad was rushing to finish his coffee or tea, because he was late at work, as he was every morning. She finally stood up and patted her dog's head. She threw her uniform on, brushed her hair lightly and added her favourite hair pin. Running down the stairs, she checked her hair once more and agreed that she looked rather decent.
 
"Umma, Good Morning !" Her mother smiled and gave her plate
 
"Eat" and she did.
 
Then came school. Like every Monday, Gaeul would wait for Chaerin at the bus stop. And, like every Monday, She would arrive right on time. They entered the bus and shared a pair of earplugs.
 
"I can't believe IU is coming to Busan" Chaerin said
 
"Me neither" 
 
"And it falls on our birthday. Convincing the parents to let us go to the concert will be easy"
 
"I know" she smiled
 
Chaerin and Gaeul had met in 3rd grade and instantly clicked.They loved the same thing, thought the same. Plus, they were born on the same day. People often misunderstood them as twins. Though, they didn't look-alike.
 
 Chaerin had pale skin like milk, was petite, had short wavy hair and big eyes. She was good at everything; from school to piano to art and was so pretty that boys would lined up to ask her to become their girlfriend on white day.
 
 Gaeul, in the other hand, had dark skin, small eyes and stood tall in her 5'8 and a half. She barely passed in school and at everything including art and music. The only thing she was good at was sports and that wasn't something guys were usually attracted to. 
 
They arrived at school. The gates were ready to close and everyone was rushing to go to their classes. She felt someone touch her shoulder and twirled around. Chaerin looked at her curiously and smiled. 
 
"Hi" 
 
"Hi" he grinned
 
She swooned. Inwardly. Chanyeol was standing in front of her, talking to her. The last time she had a full conversation with him was when she was 9 years old and he had seen her Pokémon drawing. She had drawn Piplup, her favourite Pokémon ever. She remembered not understanding how he had recognized the animated penguin. Chaerin had also drawn a pokemon -- she had drawn Squirtle and it had looked like a turtle. On the other hand, her penguin looked like a disfigured bird.
 
She also remembered in kindergarten when Chanyeol and her stood high above the other 6 years old and she had fallen for his big brown eyes and crooked smile.  And there they stood, 10 years later. Chanyeol was taller than her, but not tall enough that she couldn't meet his eyes. 
 
"I was wondering" he said "There's a new restaurant opening near the Jagalchi market. I heard you loved sea food. Maybe you'd like to go with me?" 
 
She wanted to say that she hated and always will hate seafood. She wanted to scream in glee and throw herself in his arms. 
 
"Yeah. I'd like to"
 
"Okay." He winked "let's meet at ... 7?"
 
"Okay" she flushed
 
He smiled and hurried to his classes and while the gates had closed behind her, she wished she could run back to her house and roll in her bed and jump and scream and dance.
 
***
 
She swore. "Ajusshi, faster"
 
School  had just finished and Gaeul wanted to come home early to get ready prepare herself. What could she wear? A dress? She didn't have many dresses and Chaerin's clothes were too small on her, so asking her best friend to borrow clothes was not a question. A pair of jean and a sweater, perhaps? She tried not to bit her nails.
 
"There's traffic," the driver said "If you want to get home on time, You should walk" So she did. It wasn't a long and painful walk and she was good at walking. Her house was about 10 minutes away and it gave her time to think.
 
She wondered why Chanyeol had asked her on a date. They had known each other for so long, why did he only asked her now? Was he shy of talking to her?
 
No, she thought. Chanyeol wasn't shy. He talks to girls all the time. I bet he dates so much that he can't count them on his fingers. All of his ex-girlfriends were pretty. They were petite and feminine, girly, and had nice shoes and small feet.
 
Gaeul sighed. Thoughts were spinning inside her head and she wished she could just kick and spat on them.
 
She passed two couples - who were shorter than her - and envied them. The girl was one head shorter than the boy and was curling in his arms. Gaeul wanted that - she wanted to be petite and have a tall boyfriend to melt in his arms.
 
When she finally arrived home, her mother was sitting on the kitchen table and her face was blank. She looked up at her and mustered a smile.
 
"How was school?"
 
"Not bad" Gaeul lied. School had been wonderful today. She had passed her math test and, of course, talking with Chanyeol had made her day.
 
"Go change" her mother said, returning to her papers with a blank look on her face. Gaeul shrugged it off and ran to her room.
Sunny was on her bed and lift her head upon seeing her. She threw her backpack on her desk and opened her closet.
 
Her closet was so different from Chaerin's. Her best friend had pretty clothes. A lot of dresses, skirts, high heels and blouses.
 
"What to wear ?" She said
 
She ran her fingers on the clothes laying before her. 
 
Should I wear something girly, fancy or casual? Should I wear heels or sneakers? Tie my hair or curl i ? "Ugh" she sighed. Chaerin was the one good in dating. "Why am I not Chaerin?" She lift her hands in the air and threw all her clothes to the ground. Her heart was pounding so fast she was sure it would burst out into millions of pieces.
 
Gaeul didn't had skirts or blouses, she had t-shirts and jeans. She didn't even had ballerina shoes or high heels - Why bother when Gaeul was so tall?
 
Then, in the back of her closet, she saw something.
 
It was a dress. A white lace dress. Flower embroidery curled around the sleeves and the crew neck. It wasn't too long or too short. Small rhinestone covered the rounded neckline and the back of the dress was opened into a v shape. The second fabric of the skirt was made of satin. It was the kind of dress that twirled when you spin around.
 
It's perfect, she thought.
 

Edited 2/2/16