White Heather

Flower's Whisper (discontinued)

 

White Heather✿ 

Spring has finally arrived. The warmth of the sun hugs everyone in sight, bringing the chills from winter away. The world seems to have brightened up — flowers are blooming, trees are growing and birds are chirping. People became friendlier, and more cheerful, especially the transfer student, Lee Sungyeol.

"Miss Front-Seat-Neighbour, what's your favourite colour?" A male's voice said, for the third time now, after kicking Yookyung's chair multiple times. Yookyung sighed; pulling her chair in, hoping that long-legged human behind her would stop kicking. It was as if her chair had a dart board on it, and the transfer student is trying to hit the bull's eye.

Perhaps the bull's eye is the limit of Yookyung's patience.

Apparently, her best friend, Bomi, is enjoying the presence of the transfer student. They are chatting non-stop — even in classes. Rather annoyed, Yookyung turned around, facing the transfer student, “I would like it if you stop bugging me." The cheeky grin on his face became wider, as he announced to the whole class excitedly, “Miss Front-Seat-Neighbour is talking to me!"

"That's not the point—" Yookyung tried to argue, but she fell silent when she noticed the whole class staring at them. Bomi burst out laughing with no apparent reason, bringing everyone back to their own little groups. Meanwhile, Sungyeol, as if nothing out of ordinary happened, continued smiling at Yookyung like an excited puppy. "Say, Miss Front-Seat-Neighbour, don't you think that we should get to know each other more? I mean, we get along so well!" He exclaimed, spreading his arms open fabulously. Yookyung raised an eyebrow, skeptical about the relationship between them. "Well, no," She responded almost immediately, bringing a pout to the male's face. Bomi shot Yookyung a look, before patting the male's head, cooing, “Don’t be sad, Bomi is here."

Yookyung rolled her eyes in annoyance, turning to face the window, where she could see the flowers growing. Ignoring the duo behind her, she tapped her pen against her chin, as she mentally listed down the things she had to buy at the flower shop down the street. Fertilizers, pots, and seeds — there's so much to buy. She sighed, as she thought about the long walk home from the shop if she were to buy everything today. The items would definitely be too heavy for her to carry, she needs to buy at least three bags of fertilizers, but neither does she want to take a second trip.

She took a quick glance of the pair, mumbling under her breath, “I can certainly ask Bomi to help... But that new student would want to tag along if i asked her directly in front of him." She glared at Sungyeol unknowingly, feeling frustrated just by the look of his face.

"Bomi, can i please talk to you for a moment?" Yookyung asked. Sungyeol's eyes perked up, and he turned to look at her with big, puppy-like eyes. She glanced at him and quickly added, “In private." Sungyeol's eyes lowered, as he turned to look out of the window, a look of dejection in his eyes. She sighed inwardly, feeling a little sorry. It is as if she is rejecting a cuddle from a cute little puppy. Bomi raised an eyebrow, going over to the taller girl's seat, bending down, resting her elbows on the table, supporting her chin with her palms. "What?" She asked, glancing at the boy behind them, who is staring at the airplane that flew past.

Yookyung asked Bomi whether she could go down to the flower shop with her after school, praying that she could. "Ah... Sorry, the Taekwondo club needs me there today," She smiled apologetically, but soon, her eyes brightened up, as if she thought of something even better. "Sungyeol can go with you! He's much stronger than me anyway," She suggested loudly, grinning as if she is a genius for thinking up of such a 'great idea'. Sungyeol looked at the two almost immediately, his eyes sparkling, a bright smile on his face.

Looking at those two idiots, Yookyung could only facepalm, and agree to this whole plan.

"Miss Front-Seat-Neighbour, where are we going?" An annoying voice piped up behind Yookyung. Soon, a boy which is a head taller than her fell in steps with her, walking next to her. She ignored him, and continued walking, turning around the corner.

"Don't ignore me," He whined, as they entered the shop, a sweet scent hitting them. She shrugged and went over to the cashier, where she asked for the various items she had in mind. The boy simply pouted and went around the cluttered shop, sniffing random flowers. He knelt down in a corner, messing around with small pots of flowers, poking them and touching the soil.

Yookyung could not be bother with what her classmate was doing — all she wanted was to get the items quickly, and go back to the school. It was not until she heard a small crash, that her full attention was on the child-like boy. "What the heck are you doing?" She demanded, glaring at him, then at the cracked pot on the floor. "I-I didn't mean it," He stammered, avoiding eye contact, staring at the small white flower that is on the floor, looking pathetic.

Yookyung let out an exasperate sigh. She apologised to the florist, and then went over to the boy, kneeling down and cleaning up. "He is seriously bad at everything," She muttered in annoyance, as she gently picked up the flower with its roots, placing it into another pot. Sungyeol had caught what she said, and he looked down at his feet, wrapping his arms around himself, dirtying his school sweater. "S-Sorry," He apologised, in a small voice (which is very unlike his personality).

She had once again ignored him, and simply dusted her hands when she is done, then walked over to the counter, taking what she can. She muttered a 'thank you' to the florist, then at Sungyeol,"Quickly take those things and go back to school." She shot him a glare, sending him across the shop, to the counter where he quickly took the rest of the items.

On the way back, the two kept a distance — the girl was in front, while the boy dragged his feet and hung his head low a few meters back.

She was near exploding. That boy is a really difficult person to be with. She let out a loud sigh, and glanced up at traffic light, which showed a blinking green man. She glanced around, to look out for cars before crossing the road. Behind her, however, the boy is still walking, his eyes situated at his feet.

The blinking green man disappeared, and the red man replaced it.

Sungyeol failed to notice it — he thought that because Yookyung crossed the road, he could too.

When he heard the sound of the horns from the car approaching him, he froze, like a deer caught in headlights.

Then the bags of soil he was holding onto fell, together with his body.

The last thing he saw was Yookyung running towards him, a worried look on her face.

The boy woke up, blinking multiple times. He looked around the ward, his hands supporting himself as he sat up. As his eyes travelled along the sides of his bed, he noticed a bookmark left on the bedside table.

He picked it up, examining it. It looks like a pressed flower that is made into a bookmark.

He flipped it over, and read the short message written on it, “White Heather; It means protection. Stop getting into trouble."

His fingers traced the handwritten message, and then it moved down, tracing the name of the person who made it.

Miss Front-Seat-Neighbour’.
 


✿ a/n: an update! i'm going overseas in a few days. so i thought that i should at least update... ^^;; guilty me ha. sorry for knocking sungyeol down with a car anyway :D /sorrynotsorry Anyway, i feel that it is a little too rushed, at the back :( So i will probably edit it after i'm back from vacation. yay.