FINAL.

Already a Year

A/N. click and listen :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdECRqEAOE


Chanyeol hurried himself towards the entrance of their house. It’s raining outside, and he forgot to bring his umbrella. He always forgets his umbrella and she was always the one who would come running to hand him one before he could drive for work.

He quickly brushed his now-damped hair with his right hand as he entered their room. Chanyeol knows how mad she will be if she happens to see a wet floor in their house. And although Chanyeol loves annoying her, this is not the right day to do so, so before taking another step, he took off his shoes and neatly placed them at the red rug that was more than a year old. Chanyeol is never the person to change the sheets of their bed, or fold the hundreds of shirts he owns, or place a new rug at the entrance of their door; he has her to do it for him.

He briskly walked towards the dining area. On his left hand is a box of her favorite white forest cake he bought from her favorite bakery slightly ruined, maybe from his running awhile ago. He cursed himself for being so careless. Nonetheless, he shrugged it off easily. Truth be told, Chanyeol doesn’t really like white forest cake because the sponge is too dry for him… but it’s her favorite.

He stared at the watch she gave him for his birthday two years ago, two minutes before six. She would have been home then. Chanyeol gently but half-heartedly placed twenty six, thin, yellow candles on top of the cake before lighting them with a match he found on a counter in their kitchen. That’s the way she would have wanted her cake to look. She believes more candles means more wishes, yet he would mentally argue that only one wish is valid per birthday. Nonetheless, he followed what she would have wanted.

However, it is Chanyeol to take pride in everything he does, even at the smallest things like placing candles on top of her birthday cake, and she would have quietly watched him if she could. She loves seeing all his reactions, she memorize them because she could only count them with her fingers; Chanyeol is quite the hard one to read because he doesn’t really show too much responses… but she, she has managed to understand him with those few reactions.

And she loves him. She would occasionally tell that to Chanyeol. She would show him what she feels. If she’s happy, if she’s sad, if she’s angry, she would show it. And today, when she finds out that Chanyeol left office earlier to surprise her, she will most probably throw her arms around him and kiss him. And Chanyeol isn’t the romantic type, and ironically, he wasn’t supposed to be her type.

And Chanyeol loves her too, more than she knows, and maybe more than she will ever know. He isn’t the type to tell what he feels, but he would show it to her in his own ways. He loves to wrap his strong arm around her shoulders when they watch the late night shows on their flat screen TV. He loves the sound of her laugh, the way she bats her eyelashes, the way her cheeks would turn red when he would steal her kisses, the way her hair looks when she just woke up. He loves when she crunches her nose whenever there’s something she doesn’t like to see. He loves her innocence, her open-mindedness, her sense of humor. He loves her unending reactions, too many but he remembers it all.

Chanyeol loves her, and the way she makes him love her even more each day. It’s too precious for him… she is too precious for him.

He checked the time now. 6:02 pm. Not wishing for anything, he blew off the petite fires the half melted candles emitted, except for one which he left lighted, before standing up from a stool he was sitting on.

She would’ve reprimanded him from eating directly on the box of her favorite white forest cake. She would’ve scolded him for leaving the cake on the dining table instead of putting it on the refrigerator. She would’ve raised her eyebrow for him when he drank the white wine he bought a week ago from a convenience store, directly from the bottle. And she would’ve yelled at him for not changing his clothes when he decided to lie down on the now too spacious bed for him to sleep.

But there was no she who was supposed to be there scolding him, reprimanding him, yelling at him ten minutes ago. There was no she who would replace the sheets of the bed, fold his shirts, or change the rug at the entrance door. Everything on their house looked like how it was a year ago, except for the trash bin that’s filled with fast-food styro boxes just because he needs to eat, and there was no more she to cook for him. There was no longer she and he badly longs for her.

A year ago, it was her twenty-fifth birthday. It was a special day, but being an apprentice, he was jampacked with work, he actually thought it was just any ordinary day and he wasn’t able to greet her that morning. So for the first time, Chanyeol bought her, her favorite white forest cake. He would usually buy another kind because the sponge is too dry for him, but he was too guilty about forgetting her birthday.

It was raining that night, but he has an umbrella with him, she handed it before he left for work. How stupid could he be, he must’ve remembered it when she kissed him more intimately that morning, it was a sign and he, well, ignored it. His shoes were wet and so he neatly placed them on a red rug that’s an inch away from their entrance door.

Chanyeol stared at the watch she gave him for his birthday last year, two minutes before six. He gently but half-heartedly placed twenty five, thin, yellow candles on top of the cake before lighting them with a match he bought from across the road. That’s the way she would have wanted her cake to look.

He received a phone call from an unknown number. It was the police. An accident. There was no one to blame, and he could have never really saved her. The breaks of her car loosen that one rainy night, and trying to save a woman who’s crossing the pedestrian, she has hit a construction site. She was buried alive. Tears fell from his face. A reaction from him, but she was no longer there to watch him. He was able to check the time.

A year ago, at 6:02 pm, he lost her.

Chanyeol woke up with dried tears on his cheek. He has been crying in his sleep when he was dreaming of her. It was already any other day and he found himself walking towards the bathroom to take a quick bath. He entered their room and wore the first crumpled polo he saw in his closet before covering himself with a black coat. Darting towards the dining table, he saw the box of cake he bought for her yesterday. That certain candle he left burning has completely died. He picked up the whole box and threw it directly on the trash bin.

He grabbed his car keys and then walked out of his house that’s now too big for him. He stepped on the gas and started driving. And when the traffic lights turned red, he was able to stop and stare at the sky. It was then when he realized that there’s no sun emitting its light for the city of Seoul. Instead, the dark, heavy clouds are taking over the horizon.

And then a raindrop fell and landed on the glass of his car, followed by another raindrop and another and another, until the drizzle turned into a heavy rain… sooner he found himself drowning in his own tears. Chanyeol didn’t bring an umbrella.