Epilogue

N E X: Never Lovers
EPILOGUE
Awake.

Xinling plunges her dirty fingers into Jaejoong's open chest. His warm blood gushes and bubbles as she sinks her arm deeper, probing his inside. She digs her nails into his intestines and pulls them out in one like ripping unwanted weeds from the garden. Flecks of blood stains the sofa and carpet.

Did her actions surprise her? No. She feels nothing. No joy or sadness. No satisfaction or guilt. And above all, no suffering.

Xinling smiles. The same eerie smile. She lies back, placing her head against his shoulder. Her eyes are disengaged as she stares up to the ceiling.

The pain... "It can be fixed."**

He spoke the truth. Only now does she realize it.

Fiction. Lies. Deception.**

They are beings trapped in a fake world, a projection created from the outside by those who control, manipulate, and study.

There is no need to be alarmed. We will now put you to sleep.

How long have they been sleeping? Did it matter? She wants to wake up.

More time. That is what she told him but he disregarded it as folly. Is he telling her the right time to escape is now? After all, more time is just an excuse to hesitate. She recalls every spoken word up till now. Her mind processes them without complaint.

"How do you like this place?" "If that's what you want, I'll make sure it hurts so much that you don't feel a thing." "I'll get you there... even if it kills me." "Xinling... Xinling baby... can you still here me?" "Don't be selfish, baby. You can't fall asleep now." "The world doesn't need to know your true face."* "Did you forget the entry code again?" "I'm a very good listener." "I give it to you every time you're asleep." "It can't end. As much as I want to believe you... it can't end." "We will continue on."**

Try to get away... try to get away.

All she needs to do now is make sense of it all. What is he telling her? What you want. To get away. This place. The entry code. Still here. Every time you're asleep. Listen. Can't fall asleep. Again. It can't end. Continue on. Don't feel. Even if it kills me. Know your true face.

• • • • • • •

Xinling. Listen.

"What is happening? Did you see that sudden spike in self-awareness? Should we report it?"

"No. It's probably nothing, see?" The other man touches a finger to the monitor and slides it to the left. "All the sensories are back to normal."

"Doctor. Subject J has now be uploaded into the next world. Is it time to do the same for Subject X or shall we prolong the engagement?"

"Record a few more columns for adrenaline flux then disengage."

Xinling. Don't feel.

"Doctor..."

"What is it?"

"A major problem. Vital signs are dropping. If it continues, there will be sever damage to the brain."

Xinling. The entry code.

"Inject it with Serum306 and release the gas into the sleep pod."

"After the injection, all vital signs are returning to normal but..."

Xinling. Can't fall asleep. Again.

"It is awake."

"Perhaps we are having some issues with the equipment."

"Doctor. There is no mistake. Subject X is now awake."

• • • • • • •

* From Part I: N E X
** From Part II: N E X: Never Lovers

• • • • • • •

N E X: Trigger Happy

   N E X : TRIGGER HAPPY

XSYKOTICA