1- The king has to work

The story of an alleged Mafia

 

In a small room in an apartment in Hovedstad, a young boy woke up early once again. He was still sleepy, but got up anyway without complaining.
His morning routine always started with a good breakfeast, followed by a series of stretching. He worried a lot about keeping in shape, as well as about his looks. After that, he did some vocal warm ups and turned up the player to sing along to [A]'s songs.
The young boy couldn't help but stare sadly at his surroundings. The apartment's big main room was empty. There wasn't a sign of the liveliness that place had every day since early in morning just some months before. The other people that used to live there gradually left. The last one left the day before. Now, that boy was alone.
Aksel Sekki, the young boy, sighed and went back to his room to change clothes. JS had told him that he could stay there today, but if he changed his routine, he would feel everything was over. He put on simple clothes and went out.
Aksel lived in a building that belonged to D.J.L. label. That has always been the home for artists and artists-to-be, but it gradually emptied as the company sinked in debts. The young boy was still a trainee, and moved there when he was still 13, when he was found by JS, the company's talent scout. Aksel had talent, and did his best to improve. 
Unfortunately, the label's current situation was distancing him from his dream of becoming an idol. Some months before, everything was ready for the debut of new group formed by seven boys, one of them being Aksel. But the lack of funds ruined everything. The others eventually grew tired and left the label. 
After a little walking, Aksel got to D.J.L. building. It was still imposing, but it had had better days. People went in and out, and got out carrying boxes with pieces of furniture and other objects. The boy got a little lost surrounded by those unfamiliar faces, but soon he found someone he knew.
-- You really came, boy! I should mr.DJL I won the bet. -- said JS, in his usual cheerful tone. -- Not that I expect him to pay, of course...
The scout was trying to act like everything was like it has always been, showing Aksel that happy face. But the boy wasn't stupid, and had already noticed the other had bad news.
-- What is all of this? Who are these people? -- he asked.
--Oh, them? -- asked JS, pointing to two men that carried a table from the building. -- They're from the auction site. The boss decided to sell some things to those crazy fans, maybe we'll got some money. He has to pay the employees, right? -- the man let out a little laugh, but you could see he was tense. -- Actually, I need to talk to you about this...
-- No need to! -- said Aksel. -- I've already said he can decrease my salary as much as he wants. Tell him he can pay me back when I'm famous and give him mountains of money! I know this is a bad time and it's hard for everyone...
-- Yeah... actually...
JS was interrupted by a man that had just get out of the building and touched his shoulder.
-- I'm... I'm going now. Good luck to you all.
Dressed like that, with a plain t-shirt, jeans and a sweatshirt, sunglasses and a cap, many wouldn't believe he was Max, [A]'s leader and man vocalist. A man that, even being almost 35, still tore sighs of high school teenagers. 
-- Thanks. -- answered JS, a little sad. -- Take care, ok?
After Max got on his car and left, Aksel commented:
-- How depressive... Looks like you'll never see each other again... -- he expected a light coment from JS. But the other kept silent, which worried him.
-- I think it's better if we go talk inside.. -- the scout said a little after, in a serious tone.
Aksel followed him to the building cafeteria, which was disabled weeks before. Even if they couldn't drink the delicious hot chocolate, the wooden tables and chairs of rustic style still made the place a good one to talk. Even so, there was a kind of melancholy in that place, that used to be the most lively during the early mornings and afternoons ends, when idols, composers, choreographers and marketing people gathered to rest, always to the sound of famous songs recorded there that where played on loudspeakers. Now, even those were off, part of cutting energy costs.
-- What's up, JS? -- Aksel asked, after sitting.
-- Well, how can I say this...
-- No runaround, man. Say it already.
-- Okay... You might have already noticed, but... Things are hard. The label... is doing really bad.
--Yeah, I know... I still can't understand how this could happen. D.J.L. has always been one of the biggest.
-- D.J.L. pratically created the music industry as it is today. I may be suspect to talk, as I'm the boss' friend and have always worked here, but we have always been the best. I can't remember a single wrong choice made here, musically. But business are another story... and it seems the boss has made a lot of wrong choices in this matter. And... mr. DJL has never told me anything about this, so I can't say if it's true or not, but... rumor has it he has been betrayed, by a partner or by the accountant.
-- Betrayed? How awful...
-- Yeah... But it doesn't matter. The thing is, the label has lots of debts, and... is close to bankruptcy.
-- What?
-- We're in trouble, a big trouble... [A] boys came here early today, and oficially disbanded. 
Aksel couldn't believe. With the crisis D.J.L. was facing, many groups disbanded or changed labels. The remaining went on hiatus, waiting for things to get better, in order to not get their image associated with the scandal that could come when the debts were made public. Because everything happened so suddenly, that even among the label's employees there were doubts about those debts origin. Some even believed the boss could be involved in illegal activities. JS, who was DJL close friend, always assured that he had no doubts about the boss integrity, but no one took that as proof.
Even so, [A], the most sucessful group in the label, and maybe even in the country, decided to act like nothing was happening. They didn't complain about the decrease in their salary, nor about the drastic cut in  the funds for their annual big concert, that had a record audience... in a  negative way. They promised never to leave the label, yet during a crisis. Aksel couldn't believe they had just... given up.
-- The fangirls will be really disapointed... -- was all he could say. He used "fangirl" even knowing the group had many male fans as well, himself being one of them.
-- They don't plan on announcing this at once. They want to say at first it's only an hiatus.
-- This can't be real! They were the only ones still active! How will the label get money without recording anything?!
-- That's exactly...
-- It can't be! Someone has to come back! You have to convice someone to come back!
-- Listen, Aksel. First, calm down. This isn't happening. Mr. DJL already said everyone is free to decide what to do from now on. We have to respect their decision.
-- But...
-- I'm sure it wasn't easy for them. But it's for the best. And, about you...
-- What about me? -- a mix of feelings was taking over Aksel. Sadness, anger, outrage, disbelief. He seemed ready to explode at any second.
-- All the other trainees already left as well. I don't think they were wrong. They're all young, and still have a bright career ahead. And you too, Aksel. You're talented. Maybe you should go to another label...
-- Are you crazy?? How could I do something like this, abandon you?! You know D.J.L. is my family! And also, start all over again...
-- You won't start all over again. Don't you remember how you were when I first brought you here? You were a diamond in the rough. In these 8 years, you improved a lot with your hard work. You are not the same as then. Here, you had the chance to learn with the best ones, and that wasn't for nothing. I'm sure any other label will be able to see this, And you may even meet your friends again, work together with them...
-- They're not my friends... -- said Aksel, serious. -- You know very well I have no friends.
JS knew. Aksel was like this since the beginning. All that he saw was his dream. Even if he socialized, and meet lots of people, he still never really opened himself to no one. It was like he had closed his heart.
-- Aksel... This is hard to say, but I must say. You won't have a future here. I know how important your dream is to you, and I want to see it coming true. I want to see the day when every girl has a poster with your face on it in her room.
-- That day will come! And the picture will have D.J.L. watermark!
JS felt moved by listening to those words. However, he couldn't forget reality.
-- That's it! -- Aksel suddenly exclamed. -- I'm still here! It means I still can do something!
-- I admire your enthusiasm, but... what could you do?
-- What I have been training to do, of course! If I debut, I can...
-- H-h-hold in there! Debut you?
-- Yes! Why not?
-- You, by yourself? Like, solo?
-- Yeah! There is no one else here, right?
-- Aksel... We've already had this talk...
-- Think a little, JS... What do we have to lose? If we don't do anything, the label will break. Please, give me a chance!
-- Please, don't take me bad. You know your abilities, I see them as well, but... You are not ready for this yet.
Aksel had good looks. Greenish brown eyes that could melt a girls heart, a young face framed by naturally blond hair that looked good even messy, and a body with defined muscles without being exaggerated. He danced really well and had an incredible voice, and during his trainee life he always proved being good at everything. Good, but only that. Unfortunately to him, not good enough to have a chance by himself in the competitive musical industry.
That was the reason both JS and DJL thought it was better if he debuted as a group member. In a group, each member's good points are highlighted, while their weakness are offset by the others talent. 
-- This may be my last chance, JS.
While talking, they didn't noticed they weren't alone. DJL, the label owner and CEO, was watching them for some time. He also wanted young Aksel to be famous. And even better if it was in his label. Even if things were right in the moment, he also wanted to believe, like the boy did, that it was possible. 
-- Alright, you will have your chance, boy.
Aksel and JS were surprised by the CEO voice. The older got a little worried, while the trainee seemed to be having the moment of his life.
-- But -- he added. -- You must accept some conditions.
-- I do, I do! -- said Aksel. -- I accept anything!
-- Good. First of all, I agree with JS. You isn't ready yet for a solo debut. So, you will need a group.
-- But.. There isn't any trainee here anymore. How will I find a group?
-- This will be your challenge. You have to form one. Find people that will accept do this with you.
-- This will be hard...
-- One more thing. Unfortunately, we don't have all time in the world. The deadline is one week.
-- One week?!
-- Yes. And, if you fail, you'll have to go to another label.
Aksel kept silence for a moment. Forming a group in only one week seemed impossible. It was like DJL wanted him to fail, or give up. But failing and giving up weren't a part of the boy's vocabulary.
-- Alright! -- he finally said. -- You will see, I will form the best of groups in one week! Wait and you will see!
Aksel gat up and left, leaving only the two older man by themselves.
-- Why did you do that? -- JS asked.
-- Can't you see it's perfect? It doesn't matter the result, everyone wins.
-- How?
-- If he fails, which is easier, he will be able to fulfil his dreams in another label. 
-- And if he succeeds? You know he always manage to surprise us.
-- If he succeeds, it'll be a little harder. We will both have to work together to help him, but it will be our chance to save the company.
-- You're always thinking, right?
DJL just let out a small laugh.
Meanwhile, Aksel walked on the street while thinking about where he could find a group of talented and good looking young boys. He was listening on his headphones 5 beautiful voices singing
 
It's not over yet
I promised forever, and forever didn't end
Believe me when I say
A man always keeps his word.