Chapter 9

The Artist in Spring

“Hey, Sooyoung!” Kris called out from behind an easel, waving his arm.

She looked about. “Hey!” she called back nervously. What to do, what to do? She couldn’t very well just walk away and ignore him, could she?

“How are you?” he said warmly, standing up and politely hugging her around the shoulders. “I am surprised to see you up this early.”

Sooyoung smiled awkwardly and said, “Yeah, I am usually up this early. I must get my fitness in before work!” She inched away, making her escape. “I’ll see you around!”

“I thought you said you never exercised!” he called, cupping his hand around his mouth.

Drat, she thought. Why am I such a terrible liar? She was far enough away now that it was adequate to give a small wave in response, which she did.

 

 

 

That was bizarre, thought Kris. She was so friendly to talk to yesterday, and now she’s acting all weird.

Where would she be going this early, anyway? He knew her well enough by now to know that there was no way she was out exercising.

She appeared to be heading north. She was heading in the direction of the hospital.

No wonder she seemed so squeamish and nervous. Something must’ve happened.

He jumped up to follow you. He realized he was leaving his easel and canvas and paints, but screw it, if someone homeless guy was so desperate for a creative medium that he would steal a bunch of art stuff, more power to him, Kris supposed. Maybe he would actually paint something and sell it and earn some honest cash.

Kris was unsure about this. Why was he always following her? Wasn’t that kind of weird? It actually might be illegal. Now she knew him and recognized his face. If she saw him behind her, she would pick him out of the crowd immediately.

He started to turn back. Then he turned forward again. He knew this was insanely stupid and crazy and perhaps even creepy for him to follow her, but he just couldn’t stand the thought of her walking through the bad part of town when the streets were nearly empty like this. Terrible images flashed to his mind that he immediately repressed. He couldn’t stand the thought of her alone. If something happened to her, he would never forgive himself.

And anyway, it was a free country. This wasn’t her private path; this was a public park. He was here first. He was just taking a stroll.

Yeah, just a taking a stroll. Taking a stroll, and hoping the person you are strolling after never sees or recognizes you.

Kris pulled out a pair of sunglasses even though it was overcast. He popped the collar of his leather jacket up around his ears.

Stealth.

They took their two person stroll that only one person knew was a two person stroll all the way to the hospital.

He considered waiting outside, but he really wanted to see what room she went to. He wanted to know who she visited, so maybe he could help.

Hospital hallways were narrow and echoed. This would require maximum stealth.

He literally hid around corners and waited and watched. He must have looked awfully suspicious, but no one seemed to notice.

He watched her dart down the final hallway, and then she disappeared. It had to be one of those rooms, but it would be a pain to find which room.

Sooyoung told her mom all about Luhan and the date, but she left out any part about Kris because of what Jessica had told her. She didn’t want to get a lecture, and she also didn’t want her mom to worry.

Kris waited until she left and then went in for the kill.

He would find this room if it took all day. Now, he was on a mission.

He walked down the hall with all the doors that looked the same.

He saw something on a door. She had made it so easy for him. She had left your purse on the hook on the back of the door.

It looked like a really fancy purse. She would really be missing that.

He carried it inside the room and set it down by the person in the bed.

“Hello,” he began calmly. “Do you know Choi Sooyoung? Are you her mother?”