All the sands on the bottom of the hourglass

Turning Page

 

     Chen was the last person Lu Han interviewed. He had a great deal of time with the two since he assisted in the creation of the portal. So Lu Han knew interviewing the man will be fruitful.

“Instead of telling me just about Sehun and the two's relationship, tell me more about the portal.” Lu Han started. “How did the idea come about?”

     Chen settled into his chair and pressed his lips together deep in thought, wondering how to start the story. He on his lips and let out a deep exhale before starting the story.

“Well, it was late in the winter months of 2011 when the threat was first initiated by Jongun. The United Galactic Administration contacted our Prime Minister and pleaded for help and so we were sent here. We were made just for these instances. "Made" it's a term we use very loosely.

Many people believed that it was all a hoax or maybe just a cry for attention or what not.  Until we started hearing news about bombs going off in different places, no pattern, no idea as to when and where the next strike would be. Then, Jongun came out with ridiculous demands, and we just knew things are bound to get ugly. 

It was around the same time when Sehun and Kai found Lu Han at the platform. It was weird because at first, Kai and Sehun would always go together to the mountain top until one day, we found out from Kai that Sehun had started to go by himself. 

Anyways, one day Sehun came home pulling Lu Han by the hand telling us that I quote, “MY Lu Han may have found a solution. 

Funny, we were all surprised at first because this was the first time we met Lu Han, second Sehun was holding his hand the whole time and third, he just said “MY Lu Han” without no further introduction. We were laughing because Sehun literally looked like he basically just brought his boyfriend with not so much as a notice, which by the way he has never done before, to his family which was us. 

Anyways, next thing we knew, Lu Han was at the manor everyday following us around. First we thought, he came because of D.O’s cooking.  He literally never said no to food. We all know of D.O.‘s good cooking skills but gosh, that boy can eat.” Chen chuckled. He paused one more time and looked at his hands as he fiddled with with thumbs. Lu Han can tell that the memories that were probably flashing before his eyes now were happy once since he saw a glint of joy, in the man’s eyes as he started to talk once more.

“Our lives changed after that. He spent more time here in the manor to the point where Kris and Suho had to designate a room just for him. The boy pretty much stayed over late and came over very early to work on his new idea with Sehun. So Kris figured he might as well live temporarily with us. Temporary turned into a year.

He introduced us to new things, like sports, pranks, playing and even parties. Once he learned of our creation dates, we started having a party for each and every one of EXO.  He was relentless. He never missed an important day. There were things too like Valentine’s Day and Christmas and we celebrated every one of those holidays. Those were the days." Chen continued to reminisce and Lu Han didn't have it in him to stop the other. He enjoyed hearing a different kind of life more personal and humanly close to what he thought friends would be as he had read them in many books. So he stayed quiet, patiently awaiting and hanging to each and ever word of the other.

"Anyways, Lu Han was the one who recruited me to assist them in making this portal after he saw my interest and heard my opinion about the possible discrepancy on one of the calculations. I was wrong, but Lu Han still recruited me because he said I was 'intuitive and observant' and he needed another set of eyes. However, I came to realize that I was more a mediator for the two than anything else. I didn’t mind though. There wasn’t much they didn’t agree on. But when they do it was like a world war waiting to happen.

At first, we all thought it was a crazy idea, the portal being used to hide or house the bomb in the vortex. But everyone was up for anything around that time. There were no other ideas then and so we just went with it.  It also helped that both Sehun and Lu Han believed in it so much that it didn’t take long for us to jump on the idea.”

     Lu Han continued to scribble notes on his paper which Chen could see was starting to get smaller and smaller since he was running out of space. Chen gathered his thoughts once more and he spoke once again.

“The next big attack was around January 2013. Jongun had been quiet for sometime hiding god knows where. When we heard of another attack that caused more than five hundred thousand casualties, I believe it was the day after Kai’s birthday then, so we never got to fully celebrate because nobody had the spirit to do so after the news that came.” Chen added.

“When was his birthday?” Lu Han interrupted still not lifting his head to look at the elder.

“January 14.” Chen replied

Hmm..The days before the portal was started. Lu Han thought to himself.

“Anyways, the idea was that Lu Han and I would do the manual structure while Sehun would focus on the database itself. So that is why I believe the concept of the lock and key was passed down to your family. I believe, however, that the code, part of the database was more of Sehun’s idea.” Chen speculated.

“I also thought that, that might be the case. Hence, that's why I’m doing this interview.” Lu Han added in agreement.

“I have seen the key once, the day they first started the portal. But I have no clue as to what the code is. It was kept a secret between the two since they wanted nobody to try to undo the plan. The plan was clear cut. Sehun would stay behind, while Lu Han the Black Pearl would carry the bomb in the vortex. The micro chip was placed in a compass, apparently a gift from Sehun. 

The plan was set to start five days after the first start up of the portal but then..." Chen finally stopped and his face fell. He balled his fists atop the table digging his nail on his palms, his knuckles white and ashy.

"Something happened that same night. As we were celebrating in the study for the success of the portal, we were attacked here in the manor. We were outnumbered by a lot and it was already near impossible to handle the strikes. But there was only one thing in every EXO's mind. It is to get Lu Han to the portal. That was Sehun and Kai's job. The rest of us needed to clear the way for them but Sehun and Kai are to protect the Black Pearl and bring it safely to the portal as soon as possible in the event of something dire such as an attack in the manor.”

“So wait, Kai’s birthday was the 14th. Then you guys started the portal the next day but was attacked that same night?” Lu Han was starting to put everything together. He continued to write while Chen continued with the story.

“Yeah. Anyways the fighting lasted until sunrise. The enemies retreated for the mean time promising another fight some other time. We all rushed to the manor's entrance to see what happened when we saw Kai coming out of the foyer not with Sehun but with Lu Han. Lu Han was sobbing while Kai was furi--”

     Lu Han suddenly stopped writing and dropped his pen. 

“Wait what? Kai came out with Lu Han? Meaning he was there, in the foyer and saw what happened?” Lu Han interrupted, his brows furrowed in confusion. He remembered Kai telling him that he never got inside the manor because he was stuck protecting the entrance to the foyer.

“Yeah, he was there. He never spoke about it but all I know is that Lu Han had to make changes to the portal. He spent days after changing things around. And next thing I knew the shape of the key hole was different. I can just imagine that the code was changed as well.” Chen explained.

“But why? Why did he suddenly change it.” Lu Han was on the edge of his seat now awaiting the man’s reply.

“I can only assume because Kai had seen both the code and the key. Lu Han changed them in the fear that it might end up in the wrong hands. It could also be because he knew how Kai felt about Sehun. I could only speculate that Lu Han was scared that the other would breach the plan and bring Sehun back. I believe, however, that it was because of the latter. All in all, it was because he didn’t trust Kai.” Chen concluded.

“No wonder Kai hates me.”

     Things were coming together now. As he walked out of the room leaving a heavy-hearted Chen, he knew he had to find Kai. His gut earlier told him that there was more to Kai's story with all the suspicious actions and reactions the other tried to hide from Lu Han. The younger noticed it and took note of it all. He searched the whole manor and didn't find him anywhere. But just before he was about to give up, he finally found him standing in front of Sehun's statue in the foyer. His face solemn with eyes teary. Lu Han could only imagine how the other felt. Losing the one and only person he ever loved, it must’ve been hard for him as well.

"Kai, you lied to me earlier." Lu Han wanted to get right to the point but regretted it right away as the other snapped his head at the younger shooting dagger-like glares.

"F!ck-off, Lu Han!" Kai hissed between his teeth.

“Not until you tell me what really happened here that night.” Lu Han replied.

“I’ve told you everything-” Kai started but was interrupted.

“Just stop it already. We are pressed for time. I need all the information to make my list of guesses. You said so yourself. There are more who’ll die if I don’t hurry up.”

     Kai scoffs and ignored the other. He turned and started walking towards the exit but was pulled to a stop by the other.

“What the f!ck, Kai? Why do you hate me so much? Is it cause I look like him? Is it because in the end after all the time you spent loving Sehun, he still chose him? He still chose Lu Han.” Kai stopped for a bit balled his fist and shook Lu Han’s arm off of his before walking away again.

“What really happened here, Kai? You’re the only one who saw. You were the only one with them. Please, we need to lay this out once and for all. You might have the key to this whole puzzle. Please.” Lu Han pleaded but Kai could only scream. “I don’t know! Stop asking me!” 

     But he did know. And as he tried so hard to keep it locked inside him, he just couldn’t anymore because he needed Sehun and he just couldn’t hide that fact anymore.

“Oh yea, you do. We both know you do. You just don’t want to admit it because you can’t admit to yourself that Lu Han loved Sehun more and Sehun loved him back!”

     The shrills in his voice struck Kai where it hurts the most. He finally turns and his fist back and throws it on the younger’s jaw sending Lu Han to the ground.

     Lu Han knew he went over the line this time but enough was enough. He was getting sick of secrecy and the story he just couldn’t piece together. So he didn't even mind the punch.

“I loved him first.” Kai gritted his teeth.

“It’s not fair. Lu Han comes one day and out of nowhere, I was the third wheel. Out of nowhere Sehun didn’t need me anymore. Out of nowhere...” Kai’s voice cracked before he started sobbing to himself. He fell to his knees with wretched pain tearing him inside. He could only feel the resentment. He could only feel regret. 

     Lu Han stood watching the boy who was left behind falling apart right in front of him. It wasn’t that Sehun didn’t love him. It wasn’t that Lu Han loved the other first. It was because he had never been able to tell the other of his feelings and that was more painful than anything.

“I loved him first...” is the only thing he could utter in the end.

 

“But you never had a chance to tell him, did you?” Lu Han interrupted and finally Kai looks up at him with eyes yearning for some comfort and for someone to understand.

     Lu Han the observant person that he is, with his great-great-grandfather’s blood flowing thickly in his veins, he was keen to putting himself in the other’s shoe. Lu Han knelt down in front of Kai startling the elder and he firmly wrapped his arms around him pulling his shaking body closer against his.

“Help me then. So I can get him back faster and you can finally tell him.” Lu Han whispered to his ear now bringing his hand up and down his back for comfort. 

“I promise I will get him back. Just please help me.”

     It must’ve been hard holding those resentments and regrets inside for a hundred years because Kai finally nestled into Lu Han’s arms and he’s sobbing endlessly.

 

 

     When he finally calmed he could only chuckle to himself as he had never shown this side to anybody else, not even Sehun.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Because you are more like your great-great-grandfather than you think and I know you hate hearing it. But you shouldn’t. He was a good man and I, along with EXO can see how different you are compared to him. But that’s also why you are just like him. He was different compared to others of his time. And on top of that, he was a good man.” Kai looks at the other and for the first time smiles at him. 

“You’re a good man too, Lu Han. Being like your great-great-grandfather is not a bad thing. You are a good man in your way and he in his. I’m pretty sure if Sehun was here, he’d fall for you too.” He finally chuckles. “But not before, I show him his options. I will get him this time, Lu Han. I won’t lose to you too.” Kai chides and Lu Han gives way. It was enough to see the smile genuinely.

     Lu Han laughs and shakes his head. “Don’t you worry about that, I’m more interested in a person younger than me. I’ll push ten years but not a hundred.” Lu Han joked sarcastically.

“You better not.”

 

cr: to the owner of the photos and gif