Chapter 5

Rude Awakening

Nana

I open my eyes slowly, waking up for no reason. I guess my mind doesn't want to sleep anymore, but my body wants to. I'm still kind of sick, but at least I don't feel like I'm gonna pass out any moment. I need medicine, good medicine. Ahh but Daehyun probably forgot that I'm sick.

"He's probably gone right? Off somewhere, hmm I should go grocery shopping. Oh great I'm talking to myself again, I'm going crazy."

I get up from bed and do my daily morning routine. Basically quick shower, brush teeth, three step face cleansing, and putting in my contacts. I put on simple blush, mascara, and lip gloss as makeup. Aigoo I still need to put up my clothes into the closet, but alas the struggle. Its real. I'll do it when I get home.

I go into the suitcase and pick out my outfit for the day. Hmmm let's see, girly or skaterish? Ahh girly. I might go shopping, and sightseeing later. I put on a black tight crop top that reaches at my belly button and a laced peached colored skater skirt that reaches mid thigh. There's about one inch of skin showing from my shirt to my skirt but whatever. I pull out my black ankle boot wedges to finish the outfit off, perfect.

"Ahh purse purse where's my purse." I pull out my white over the shoulder bag and put in my wallet, earbuds, cellphone, lip gloss, germ x, hmm what else?
Oh and sunglasses. There, done." I walk out of my bedroom to downstairs, where I see all the maids cleaning.

"Sillyehabnida." I say to one of the maids.

"Ne?"

"Can you show me where the nearest grocery store or market is?"

"Oh ahh ne. Umm hold on." She disappears for a couple of minutes and comes back with a little drawn map to the store.

"Ah kamsamnida. As you can see I'm going to the store, is there anything you'd like me to buy?"

"Ah don't worry about it Madam, one of the other maids have gone grocery shopping this morning."

"Oh I see. Arasso, I'm off, annyeong! Oh and you guys can call me Na- I mean Hana arachi?"

"Neh? Oh, neh Hana." They all laugh and I wave goodbye. Okay, I hope I don't get lost wow.

Ten minutes later I arrive at the market. It's a street market, but a few stores in buildings around it. This is nice, and so open. Pretty busy too. I go to stands and try little food samples, mmm beef jerky yum. I get about 10 pieces of jerky, some for me and some for the maids.

"Wah these are so pretty!" I say as I pass by a flower stand. The roses are absolutely beautiful. I continue to walk, many people stare at me as I walk by. I give them a face, dull but frightening I've heard it be called before. I continue walking.

"Fruit for sale!! Fruit for sale! We got fresh mangos, the best especially for this season! Good for wrinkles!" I see a girl about my age in a visor shouting to customers walking by. Mangos? I love mangos.

"How much for some mangos?" I ask, standing in front of her stand.

"It's- oh my." She looks up at me, surprised.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask, waving my hands in front of her.

"OMO I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE BACK!" She runs around the stand and hugs me tightly.

"Nugu?" She pulls away and pulls off her visor. I look closer, oh my god.

"Song Ji?!"

"Bang Nana!"

I hug her back, oh my god. I can't believe it, my best friend when I was little, before I was shipped to America.

"Sunbae, can you watch my stand for me? I'm going on my break!" Ji shouts.

"Ah arasso." A guy in his twenties says to Ji, staring at me. Ji takes a couple of mangos and a knife.

"Kaja!"

"Bwoh?" She takes my hand and drags me down the street through the busy crowd. We walk till we find a bench for the bus stop, and we sit down.

"How have you been? I haven't seen you in forever! It was so weird, you just didn't come to class one day and we were all confused. Rumor had it you pooped your pants and were too embarrassed to come back to school so you transferred."

"What! Who would believe that?!"

"Everyone, including me! Come on, we were fourth graders. You know how gullible I am. When I was little, omma told me if you swallowed a seed a tree would grow in me. I'm now scarred for life, Aish who tells a 7 year old kid that?!" I couldn't stop laughing at her stories, good old Ji. Still as bright and bubbly as I remember her to be.

"Wait if you're a fruit person, and you're scared of seeds, how do you work with fruit?"

"Ahh well my sunbae handles some fruits and I handle the others. Like mangos, clementines, bananas, nothing with seeds basically. I blame my mom."

"Speaking of your mom, how is she? I miss her chocolate chip cookies she'd make for you and I." I pout as I say it.

"Ah she's well. She works as teacher at the university. Appa is a stock manager at some fancy office place, but really all he does is sit and type. Well whatever brings money to the table I guess. I work this part time job just for a little cash myself."

"Bwoh? Why are you guys working these jobs? Didn't you guys have a subsidiary management off one of my families resort areas?" She picks up a mango and starts cutting it.

"After a year you left, Double Dragons mob came after us and made us crash and burn. You lost a couple thousand, we lost everything." Her voice cracked at the end of the sentence.

"Ji-ah...mianhae." I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Gwenchana. I like this lifestyle, where you don't really have to be fancy and dress to impress. I can be simple and not judged. It's, nice." She looks up and smiles at me. She hands me one side of a mango.

"Gomawo." I take it and start eating it.

"What about you? How's your life been?" I look at Ji, I can trust her. Definitely.

"Don't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you. Well, on my tenth birthday in Korea I was kidnapped. You must have been wondering why my party was cancelled right?" She gasped but then chuckled a bit at the last part. She nodded for me to go on.

"They caught them before they could bring me anymore, but then they shipped me off to America. Just like that. I didn't have a say, it was rough. I lived in Cali, with these two people who were complete strangers. Having to live as Lee Nana. Then I learned English, swam, danced, tanned, and grew up basically. I turned 18 on May 8."

"Ahh yes I remember. Happy belated birthday, here's my present." She hands me another mango piece.

"Yah, I need seven more presents!" I jokingly punched her shoulder.

"I didn't bring seven mangos!" We both laugh. "Continue~" She says.

"I had this crazy idea, now since I'm legal I should go back to Korea. And then when summer , I was on a plane to Korea. The people in America think I'm in London or whatever. Hah they'd kill me if they found out I was here. But I just found out I'm not suppose to be here."

"Waeyo?"

"Because there is another war between mobs. They wanted me when I was 10, they sure as hell still want me when I'm 18. So now I'm hiding at one of Yongguk's friend's house. A guy that's a complete stranger, and I have to pretend I'm in a relationship with this guy. Aigoo it's crazy." She stares at me in shock.

"It sounds like you're in some action movie. The leading actress."

"Well I'd rather be an extra."

"Waeyo?"

"Cause it . I've only seen my brother once. Just once. I saw my parents, but I had on a mask so they couldn't recognize me. Just seeing them reminds me how much I despise them for sending me away. For making me feel lonely my entire life as a kid and teenager. For all my mental and trust issues..." I say as I drift off into space.

"That sounds rough, I'm sorry. I thought my life was bad, but just wow."

"I'd rather have your life. Being able to live comfortably, with your family. I wanna be able to see my brother." I sigh sadly.

"How is Yongguk oppa? I haven't seen him in years."

"He's tall, low voiced, strong. He's still a gummy bear though, it's weird seeing him so grown up. Hes the only one I kept in contact with since I left Korea, the only person I trusted. If you had an email, I would have talked to you too!"

"Ahh but back then 9 year olds didn't usually have emails. Ahh but now adays 7 year olds have twitter and Facebook. It's weird, don't you think?" I nod in agreement, it's ridiculous.

"Hmm. Talking with you is like this refreshing whip of the past. I like it. This is how old people must feel." I say smiling.

"Haha are you saying we're old?"

"Duh. Tuck your diaper back in your pants, have some class Ji-ah."

"Yah!" We laugh for a while.

"So who are you staying with?" She asks curiously.

"This guy named Jung Daehyun. You know him?"

"Of course, who doesn't. His parents own most of Busan's sea port businesses, ships, and hotels of such. His dad is part of Busan's city council, he's very powerful. His mom, well she lives well so she runs a little puppy boutique business." I stare with my mouth open and drop my mango skin. His family is that important?!

"Daehyun helps his dad in the business, and when he turns older he is said to be in city council too. I've heard he's smart, charming and devishly handsome."

"That's a lie! Hes handsome, but not that handsome. He has as much charm as a dead toad. Smart my . He treats me like a dog and is really moody. And a player, just ew."

"Ahh jinja? So he's not a good guy?" I shake my head no furiously.

"What a shame. Everyone thinks he's an angel here, ah I hate that. If you want, you can live with me."

"Ahh I would rather do that, but I'm like under house arrest. I'm not even aloud out of the house without his permissi- oh ." I realize I left without asking. Well me.

"Oh god. Do you think you'll be in trouble?" She says chuckling.

"This guy is probably gonna rip my head off. I'm so dead if he finds out. I should get home." I stand up and gather my bags.

"Ahh I should get back to work. We've been here for half an hour."

"Jinja? Time flies fast. Arasso, wait what's your phone number?"

"4857392183." She says as I dial it into my phone. I call her phone so she has my number too.

"It was nice catching up with you, let's hangout arasso?"

"Ne, lets hangout soon. Ah by the way, call me Hana. Oh Hana since it's my disguise name."

"Oh Hana? Funky name . I like it."

"It stands for Ohana, meaning family. That nobody gets left behind."

"Ahh from Lilo and Stitch? Hmm clever."

"I know right? Well let me walk you back since it's on the way back."

"Arasso kaja."

We walk back to the stand and I we hug and say goodbye. As I continue walking, I sneeze 2 times.

"Medicine, I need to buy medicine before I go. Aish the struggle." I set off to find a pharmacy in this sea of stores.


Daehyun

I changed into my black skinny jeans and a simple gray pullover sweater, with Nike kicks. 25 minutes later the maid I sent out came back.

"Chwesomnida, I couldn't find her. It was busy out today." My heart starts pumping fast, . I'm dead I'm so dead. I grab my phone and wallet and run out the door, run to the market, and start looking for her.

"Omo, it's Jung Daehyun."

"Jung Daehyun!"

"Daehyun-shi, you're so handsome!"

I look throw the crowd, Aish women keep touching me. Aigoo where is she?

"Has anyone seen an 18 year old girl with long, long light brown hair? Really skinny, tan, looks like a foreigner? She has soft big doe eyes, high nose bridge, dimples, high cheekbones?" Wait why am I explaining her in such great detail. How do I know this much detail of her. Ahh weird. I should probably scream her other name.

"Hana? Oh Hana, Oh Hana I ain't playing with your , where are you?"

"You're looking for Hana?" I look at this girl working at a fruit stand.

"Ne where did she go?"

"She was here five minutes ago, then she went back that way."

"Arasso, thank you."

"Ne."

I walk through people as I walk in the direction the girl pointed too. I stand at the side near a wall of a pharmacy, looking at the moving crowd of people. Looking for Nana.


Nana

"Ahjumma, are you sure this will make my skin softer?"

"Ne, it is clinically proven too."

"Hmm arasso I'll take it." I say as I gave the face mask thing for her to check out with my fever medicine and vitamins. The lady sells dermatologist stuff too, what a great store.

"Kamsamnida!" I say as I open the door and the little bell goes off. I start off in the direction of Daehyun's house, when I bump into someone dropping my medicine bag.

"Chwesomnida." The person and I say as we both bend down to pick up my stuff and put in the bag. When we put everything in the bag I looked up, looking right into Daehyun's eyes. His eyes went from soft, to angry.

"Sunbae."

"Yah, Bang Nana. You little." He grabs the bag and stands up, pulling my arm. Aish why does everyone always drag me everywhere?

"Do you know the heart attack I got? Yongguk would kill me if he knew I almost lost you. Yah, I told you all rules applied. You can't leave without my permission."

"Sunbae, I needed to get medicine. I thought you left the house, to do something so I just went without realizing. Mianhae." I say as I put my head down a bit. He turns around and sighs, giving me a death look. We continue to walk as he drags me through the crowd, all the women watching in jealously.

"Sunbae, people are watching. Hajima." He ignores me and continues to pull me through the crowd.

"Sunbae walking in ankle wedges aren't as easy as you think it is, slow down I don't take long strides. Nigga you need to calm yourself, Imma get foot blisters." He continues to ignore me. I decide to close my mouth until we get home. When we enter through the door he lets go of my arm. The maids all bow down to us. He walks away to his room.

"Aigoo I already said sorry, hmph." I mutter as I sit down in the living room, taking off my shoes. Ow my feet are all red, he's so inconsiderate.

"Hana gwenchana?" I turn around and all the maids are towered over me.

"Oh ne I'm fine. Ah I got beef jerky for everyone, here have some."

"Jinja? Kamsamnida Hana-shi." They all sit down around me and we eat the beef jerky.

"Aigoo he freaks out if I leave like this. Ahh but I want to go shopping. Eottokehae?" The maids all look around shaking their heads.

"Maybe you should ask him to go with you, aren't you guys dating?"

"Bwoh, oh uh yeah. Ahh but he wouldn't want to go shopping with me.." The maids pull me to stand up and push me to his doorway.

"Yah guys hajima hajima I change my mind I'll just stay home."

"Come on Hana, you guys need a date go go." They continue to push me. They mouth hwaiting to me and all scatter away. I hesitantly knock on the door 3 times. I hear footsteps and I turn away from the door in an attempt to run away, but the door opens.

"Yes?" I turn around and chuckle nervously.

"Ahh Daehyun sunbae..."

"What is it?"

"I was umm wondering if you wanted to go shopping with me?" I say batting my eyelashes and smiling.

"No." He closes the door. Oh well you too. I walk up to his door and bang on it.

"Yah, can I at least go with one of the maids?"

"NO." I hear him shout through the door.

"WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH AIGOO."

"GO AWAY. STOP BOTHERING ME, RULE 4."

"RULE FOUR CAN KISS MY GRANDMA'S ." I open the door and he's sitting on his bed watching tv. I march over to the bed and kneel down so my neck is leveled with the bed. He looks at me wide eyed.

"Jebal? Jebal jebal jebal?" I pout and rub my hands together pleadingly.

"Fine." He closes his laptop and gets up.

"Jinja?!" My eyes light up and I stand up.

"Ne lets just go so you can shuttup."

"Awe gomawo sunbae. Let me just put on my shoes and get my purse." I sprint out of the room and quickly put on my shoes. I grab my purse and go to the door where Daehyun is waiting.

He walks ahead of me into his car and I open the passenger side, sliding in. We start driving and I turn on the radio, the song Beautiful Night comes on.

"Sunbae, do you know the guys who sing this?"

"Ani."

"They're Beast. They are the definition of perfection. They don't lack in any shape way or form."

"They sound alright."

"This song is amazing." I start humming the words and dancing a bit.

"What are you doing."

"Dancing, I love to dance." I smile at him.

"You dance horrible."

"How would you know, you've never seen me."

"You seem like a klutz that can't keep rhythm."

"And you seem like an egotistic douche bag, but I don't say anything."

"Yah do you want me to turn this car around?"

"Ani ani, mianhae."

We arrive at the mall and I get out, excited to see the stores. I run ahead of Daehyun a bit.

"Sunbae, pali." I wave him to hurry. He now decides to take small strides, wipe. We enter in and there's 2 floors, huge place. I saw a place with bright colors and girls my age in it, so I choose that store.

"Wah all these clothes are so pretty!" I exclaim, looking around. Daehyun walks in, slightly annoyed with the loud beat of the song in the store. He follows about five feet back from me as I go around picking out clothes.

"Daehyun, come here and help me decide on some clothes." I look up from the rack and Daehyun is talking it up with some girls. Well then I guess it's just me myself and I. Aish I'm running out of arms to carry these, I should go try them on.

"Sunbae I'm going to go to the dressing room okay?" He looks at me and turns back to the girls, laughing with them. Hmm what's so funny? I give them all my infamous face and they kinda back away a bit, that's right es.

"Excuse me, can I have a dressing room please?" I say to an employee.

"Ne of course. Follow me." We walk to the back and she opens up a door for me.

"Kamsamnida." I say as I close the door. Hmm what to try first. I try on 5 pairs of tops and 2 pairs of jeans. I take them off and try on a really pretty white and pink floral bodycon dress I picked out.

*knock knock*

"Nana, are you in here?"

"Ne." I reply as I try to decide if to get this dress. It ends mid thigh, and the back is kinda low cut too. It hugs in all the right places, but is it too y?

"Are you almost done?"

"Ani, I'm trying on a dress. Sunbae, should I get this?" I open the door and he's standing right there. I step out and look at him for advice. He looks at me up and down several times.

"Well?" He coughs awkwardly and looks away.

"Umm it's pretty. You should get it." He says, staring more.

"Gwenchana? You're acting kind of weird."

"I'm fine."

"Okay." I walk back to my dressing room and change back to my regular clothes. I left what I didn't want and carried what I wanted. I exited my room, and I see Daehyun giving his thoughts on other girls trying on outfits. I stare at him as he 'fixes' a girl's top. He looks through the mirror and we make eye contact, but I look away and point to the cash register as a way of saying I'll be over here. He gives a little nod and continued to flirt with the many girls surrounding him.

"Aigoo, I wish I would have went with one of the maids. I feel so lonely shopping like this." I mutter under my breath as I wait in line. After I finally pay, I poke my head back into the dressing room area, but Daehyun isn't there.

"Oh he did not just leave me. ." I look around the store and leave when I couldn't find him. Well now I guess im lone wolf. I go into my purse and put in my earbuds and plug them into my phone, blasting music so I don't have to listen to people conversing. I go into ten different stores and buy bunch of stuff, in 2 hours.

"Aish where is he? I'm done shopping." I say as I sit down on a bench near the store I just finished shopping out of. I ended up overall buying 5 new shirts, 2 new skirts, a pair of skinny jeans, 3 pairs of cool leggings, and 2 new pairs of shoes. Oh and new underwear and bras. Successful shopping day I would say so myself.

*WHARRRRRR*

Did you hear that. That was the sound of a dying whale, otherwise known as my stomach. I hold my stomach, damn I'm hungry. Might as well eat. I grab my bags and go upstairs to the food court. I get some rice, spicy chicken, and vegetables from a Chinese food spot in the food court. I find a booth and sit out down all my bags and food, settling down to start digging in.

"Hey pretty lady!" I turn to look over at the direction of the sound. There sits 3 guys staring me and waving.

"Do you need something?" I say in a y tone.

"Yo, we don't mean any harm. Chill." I sigh.

"Sorry, do you need something?"

"Just wanted to say a friendly hi. You're too pretty to be sitting alone." I blush a bit, hmm they seem chill.

"Well do you guys want to sit here with me?"

they all pick up their food and walk over to my booth, 2 sitting in front of me and one sitting beside me.

"Annyeong, my name's Barom. But you can call me Rome." The guy next to me says, winking.

"Minhyuk." the guy in front of me said.

"I'm Seungho." I shake all of their hands.

"Hi my name is Na- I mean Hana. It's nice to meet you guys."

"Ahh Hana, such a pretty name." I blush from Rome's words.

"Gomawo Rome-ah."

"Ani call me oppa. I'm in college."

"College? Damn I just graduated high school..." I say in English.

"No way, you speak English?" He replies.

"Oh yeah I just came back from America."

"That's crazy, I'm from Australia."

"I could tell, I'm loving your accent."

"Aigoo what are they saying?" Seungho says to Minhyuk.

"Korean please." Minhyuk says.

"Ah arasso arasso."

"So do you live around here?" Seungho asks.

"I'm staying with a friend. It's about 10 minutes from here, so yeah."

"We live about five minutes from here. We basically walk here, to just chill."

"Do you guys come here everyday?"

"Ani, sometimes we go to the movies. There's not much to do in this town really."

"Ahh I see."

"Yeah there's not much of girls like you around here." Rome says.

"Girls like me? What do you mean."

"So chill and absolutely stunning."

"Well I was born here, I should be like everyone else."

"Ahh I think it's the American side of you." He chuckles and I giggle back. He leans back and puts his arm behind me, resting on the booth seat.

"Is this one of your pick up tricks?"

"Depends, is it working?" I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Rome, that's not how you approach this type of girl. You have to go slow and enticingly." Seungho says, smirking at me.

"Ani, just be straight up. Hana, you've caught my eye. Wanna chill sometime?" Minhyuk asks smiling.

"Hmm ne. Minhyuk wins!"

"Jinja? So will you really hangout with me, I mean us sometime?" I nod my head.

"Can I see your phone Minhyuk-shi?" He hands it to me and I put in my number and call my phone, so I have his number too. I hand him back the phone and Rome and Seungho gape at him.

"Yah, I saw her first." Rome says jokingly.

"You niggas needa step up yo game." I say.

"Ah since I'm such a generous person and I care so much for my friends, I will forward you guys her number." Minhyuk says, putting away his phone.

"Don't get arrogant, this is probably the only one you'll get in your life." Seungho says, causing Minhyuk to punch his arm. We all start laughing as they fake fight.

"Having fun?" I look up and Daehyun is standing at the table.

"Oh sunbae. Uhh annyeong." I wave to him while looking down.

"Woah, aren't you Jung Daehyun?" Seungho questions. Daehyun looks at the three of them with distasteful eyes.

"Are you done yet?" I nod my head up and down and poke Rome as to say can I get out. I slides out and I grab my bags and get out of the booth.

"Sunbae can you throw away my tray?"

"No."

"At least carry some of my bags so I can throw it away." He looks at all of the 8 bags and walks away.

"Aish this little...YAH." I shout after him as I put my bags down. I grab my tray and throw it in the nearby trash can and go back to get my bags.

"Sorry about him, he's just always like this. Annyeong guys!" They wave good bye to me as I pick up my bags and quickly run after Daehyun. He's at the car by the time I get out of the mall and I quickly jog to a stop to catch my breath.

"Aish pali." He shouts at me, annoyed.

"I'm gonna stick my foot so far up your , you'll be tasting the suede." I say in between breathes. I carry my bags to the car and put them in the trunk. I hop into the front seat, leaning back from the struggle I just had to endure. I can feel his eyes on me so I straighten out my skirt and shirt making sure I'm not showing too much skin.

I feel his hand touch my shoulder, pulling up the sleeve. "Nice bra strap." I open my eyes and he's staring right at me, and starts leaning in. Too close for comfort. I lean back as far as I could and close my eyes and turn my head.

*click*

I open my eyes to the noise and I see him turning the car in reverse so we can back out.

"Did you really think I was gonna kiss you? Hah, you didn't have your seatbelt on pabo." I mentally slap myself in the face, Aish how embarrassing.

"Let's just make one thing straight, I'll never go for you and you'll never go for me arasso? Bro code means I can't touch you. And plus, you're not so pleasant." I chuckle and turn to him.

"I'd rather go for a hobo than you arachi? Dating you would be like dating Yongguk."

"What about Zelo?"

"What about him?"

"You were getting it on with him pretty well when you first met him."

"He's different, he's like a fetus. I've never had someone call me noona before, it was cute. He has a charm, something you don't have."

"If I don't have charm how could I have gotten 15 new numbers today."

"I HOPE YOU GET AN STD."

"YAH WHY WOULD YOU WISH SOMETHING LIKE THAT."

"WHO KNOWS IF YOU DONT ALREADY HAVE ONE." He turns to me and flicks me on the forehead.

"Y-yah did you just hit me?!" I pinch his ear and he screams in pain.

"Do you want to die?" He says holding his ear with one hand and trying to drive with the other.

"MERONG" I stick my tongue out at him.

"I'm dealing with a five year old kid."

"I'm 18!"

"You belong in a dog pound." I gasp and turn to him. Oh hell no.

"NIGGA IMMA BUST A CAP IN YO RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW." It falls silent and we both start laughing. I don't know why, but we just start laughing.

"You're crazy."

"I hate you."

"I hate you too." He replies.

Suddenly, a bright idea comes into my head. I look out the window and start smiling, planning out my evil idea.