Chapter 8

Red Riding Hood

 

Nicole was dusting off the dirt on the porch when she heard Hoya, Nicole.

            She quickly caught the broom which fell out of her hands, looking around to see if anyone had noticed.

            “He really needs to stop doing that,” she muttered to herself, as she continued to brush the porch.

            Sorry.

            She let out a groan of frustration, causing a nearby woman to look at her strangely. Embarrassed, Nicole just smiled and waved back at the woman. She looked up in the sky, the sun beaming brightly. How is he doing this even during the day?

            We're not vampires.

            Could you please stop doing that? She thought as she stepped down the porch to sweep the dried leaves on the ground.

            When he didn't answer, she sighed, still feeling as though this were too much for her to take in. This new power of being able to communicate with him through their minds was an invasion of her privacy, though the thought of never losing touch with him did excite her a bit. No, Nicole. Bad. And then she remembered, he probably heard every bit of that too. She could imagine the younger Hoya smirking at her like he always did.

            Do you want to see your father?

            She paused before screaming, “Yes!”

            She quickly slapped shut now that everyone was staring at her. He's asking for you to come out tomorrow before the sunset. Can you find the cave?

            Before sunset? Mother's not going to let me, she thought, biting on her finger nervously. This was her chance to see Father. Her real Father. She had to find a way to get out.

            We'll figure something out, was the last thing she heard from him before she was left with peace in her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

            “Nicole!” she called upstairs. Mother waited a moment before realizing there was no response. She opened the front door and stuck her head out, Nicole no where to be seen. “Where is that girl?”

            She groaned, going back into the house to grab a sweater before she went back outside to grab some firewood. The sky was a dark shade of blue and purple, signifying that the sun was almost gone. She quickly walked across to Jinhee's house which was directly across from them and knocked on the door. It was a minute before the door opened and Jiyeon poked her head out, “Good evening, Aunt Shirley!”

            “Hello Jiyeon, dear,” she smiled at the younger girl, “Are your parents home? I was wondering if I could borrow some firewood.”

            Jiyeon moved away from the door just as her mother came. “Hello Shirley! Go ahead and take some firewood, we have more than plenty. Should I ask my husband to help you? They're at the back of the house.”

            “Don't worry about it. I'll get it myself,” she said, “Thank you so much!”

            She turned and went around to the back of the house where she saw a stack of logs placed neatly together. She grabbed as many as she could carry and tried to balance them in her arms as she returned home.

            The moment she opened the door to their home, she felt her heart drop, along with the logs in her small arms.

            “Shirley,” the man standing in front of the fireplace turned his head to greet her. “It's been a while hasn't it?”

            She quickly slammed the door shut and picked up the logs, keeping her eyes on the floor as her thoughts raced to figure out what to do.

            “Stop!” she screamed, as the man bent down to help her. “Get away from me!”

            Hurt flashed across his face but it disappeared just as quickly as it came. Her reaction was expected. It's been so many years since he left, it was a surprise to suddenly see him standing in front of her again.  “How have you been?”

            “Why are you back? You're not welcome here!” Shirley hissed, carrying the logs in her arms as she cautiously moved around to the fireplace.

            He frowned. “I'll be leaving shortly; I just came to tell you that Nicole will be leaving with me.”

            “Nicole? What have you done with her?” She clenched tightly onto her dress as if she was clinging to her life.

            He laughed. “Don't be ridiculous. She's my daughter. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her. On the other hand, I don't know about you and your village.”

            He walked over to the kitchen and peered through the curtains cautiously. "The minute your village finds out she's a werewolf, she's going to be on slaughtered as if she were nothing but a pig."

            "That's not true!" she snapped in defense.

            "Do you want me to remind what happened decades ago? Your village found a dead kid in the forest and immediately pointed at us for his death. None about all the other animals out there in the forest and started a witch hunt."

            "You killed my father," she said icily, taking several steps towards the man as though she were going to hit him.

            "It was him or us," he said, turning away from her glare. "Regardless, this isn't about the past. It's about Nicole. I'm only here to inform you that she'll be safe with me and you won't have to bother looking f-"

            Before he could finish his sentence, he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. Looking down, he found the source of the pain before the knife was quickly pulled out of him again. There was nothing he could do but grunt in pain and fall down.

            He stared up at the woman who was once his wife, holding the knife still dripping with his blood. Never would he have thought she would be the one to kill him, but then again, the woman he knew 18 years ago didn't know he is what he is.

            She stared down at him emotionlessly, "I'll never let Nicole leave with monsters like you."

            She watched as he breathed his last breath before laying motionlessly. Within seconds his body began to transform into a large black wolf. She let out a shrill before running out the house, "Oh my god! Someone please help!"

            It wasn't long before the villagers ran out of their homes to see what was happening. "Are you okay Shirley? What happened?"

            She was shaking and in tears, clinging onto Seulong's father as she pointed inside her house. "T-there was a wolf!"

            Woman gasped and children were quickly pulled back in their houses. The men all grabbed their weapons before approaching the house carefully. All those who waited outside stood still as the men went into the house. There was a loud gunshot before the men emerged again. Seulong’s father was the one to speak, “The beast is dead.”