Chapter 6

Red Riding Hood

The following night, Nicole waited until everyone was asleep again before sneaking out once again. It seemed almost stupid of her to go out so late at night, knowing that the creature she had seen before, really did exist.

She had woken up thinking that it had been nothing but a dream. However, upon seeing the bag containing the dead rabbit, in the same spot on the porch where she had left it last night, she knew that everything that happened had been real. After showing Mother the rabbit and lying about it being given by one of the uncles who were hunting for them, Nicole had decided to cut off one of the rabbit's feet to keep. They did say that a rabbit's foot was supposed to bring good luck. She took the foot to Seulong's mother who was quite crafty with making accessories, who easily turned it into a necklace.

Clutching onto it, she peeked around from her porch to see if anyone was around. If anyone saw her sneaking around so late at night, they were bound to question her.

The woods, a voice told her, guiding her towards the path which cut through the woods. She looked back at her home once more before heading down the path. Her steps were weary but her mind told her she was going the right way.

After walking for several minutes, her eyes stopped on the black figure in front of her. There it was; the same mysterious black wolf sitting patiently in the middle of her path. Just as she was getting closer to it, it got up and walked into the woods, swishing its tail in a manner which told Nicole it wanted her to follow it.

Scrambling after it into the trees, she saw it turn it's head, waiting for her before continuing. Its eyes never failed to amaze her how brightly they shone in the night. After what felt like forever of ducking under branches and trying not to trip in the dark, they reached a clearing which Nicole had never noticed before.

Although there was not much, there were white lilies growing around the edge of the clearing and the fireflies made the place look magical. Nicole stared in amazement as the wolf took a seat in the centre. Taking a seat beside it, she was careful not to touch it. She knew it was large, but sitting beside it only made her feel smaller. She pulled her knees close to her chest, using her red cape to blanket herself.

The wolf made no sound as it stared up at the moon. Nicole too, took the chance to admire the beautiful night sky. In her 18 years, she's never taken the time to actually star watch because her mother never liked her being out when the sky got dark. There was a quick streak of blue and then it disappeared.

“Was that... a shooting star?” she asked, amazed. She's heard of many stories when she was a little girl about these falling stars. If you're lucky to see one, you get a wish. If you're even luckier, that wish will come true. “Quick! Make a wish!”

After wishing for the safety of the village people, Nicole looked at the wolf. “You would never attack the village people right?”

The moment their eyes met, Nicole felt a current run through her. It must've only been her because while she was still stunned, the wolf had moved it's head to nudge her hand gently. Surprised at its sudden actions, Nicole didn't dare to move her hands until after several more nudges, she understood what it wanted.

Nicole laid her legs out straight and watched as the wolf laid down beside her, resting its head on her lap. Her small hands brushed through its silky fur slowly, watching it with wonder. She petted its hand slowly, occasionally scratching it softly behind its ear. Nicole giggled when it let out a low growl of satisfaction. “You're a boy, aren't you? No wonder you're enjoying this attention so much.”

He opened one of his eyes to look at her before closing it again. His mouth twitched in a way as though it was smirking at her.

After what felt like forever, the wolf finally stood up. Nicole looked at it and knew that it was time to go. Sighing, she pushed herself off the ground and dusted her cape off. “I guess you're right.”

He walked beside her until she reached the end of the path to the village. Just as he was able to turn and leave, she whispered loudly, “Wait!”

She quickly took off the lucky rabbit foot and held it out in front of him. “This is for you. Thank you for saving me and for the rabbit. Don't eat this though, okay?”

She frowned, unsure if it understood from the way it was staring at her. Finally, it lifted his head to allow her to put it on him. It was a good thing that the string was extra long or else it wouldn't have fit around his head. Petting him one last time, she whispered before returning home, “Please come again.”