Prologue 0.5

Myriad Affairs

 





 

PROLOGUE

 

He was lying on the green flooring of the park's grass, watching as white fluttery clouds float by the clear blue skies.

He lay uncaring of the surrounding, he didn't care that a couple of middle school girls were eyeing him with interest nor did he have any thoughts on a couple of ahjummas who were looking at him accusingly.

He closed his eyes, clearing his mind of any worries and thoughts.

But...

*Buzz*

*Buzz*

*Buzz*

He sighed in annoyance as his cellphone stopped vibrating for the nth time. He knew who was calling but he didn't care. He wished that they would just stop bothering him today, 'Just one day, was it so hard to ask?'

He knew what they wanted and why they were persistent. But he chose to ignore them and just had his phone ring nonstop.

He didn't know what time it was and he didn't really care.

He knew that his twin would probabaly be livid. He had skipped school for the 3rd time that week and it was only Wednesday. When he gets home, he will probably getting a very long winded talking to by his mom.

*Buzz*

*Buzz*

*Buzz*

The ringing of his phone came again and he sighed again.

His twin usually gives up on the 10th time, but the insistent ringing was now getting bothersome to ignore.

He pulled his phone and answered, "What do do you want Yoseob-ie..?"

"Hyung, Thank God you answered the phone.." His twin stated  in a ragged voice.

"Why?", he  asked in annoyance

He opened his eyes and stated with such emphasis, "What? You're going to bug me again to go to school? forget it ---"

"No.." his twin interrupted immediately.

"Then what?", he demanded.

"Hyung...", Yoseob's voice was coarse.

He heard him take deep breaths, and even through the phone, he could feel the tension in the air. He now sat up alert.

"Hyung..."

"Why? What is wrong?" he asked. He was becoming scared.

"Hyung, you have to come to the hospital..." his brother stated clearly and very seriously.

He immediately straightened up. His heart pounded in his chest and his mind conjured up hundreds of tragic scenarios -- from their father being in a car accident, to their mom having heart attack, to their little sister being kidnapped to...

..his tragic thoughts and imagination had him shouting, "WHAT HAPPENED?!"

Yoseob didnt answer fast enough, "YAHh!!!"

"Hyung... it's.."

He started running, he had only one purpose --- to get to the hospital.

"Yah!!! Yoseob, I am not playing with you. What happened? Who is in the hospital?" He shouted again --- angry and frustrated.

"Hyung, it's Seungyeon..." His brother said gently.

He stopped in his tracks and asked, "What? You said who?"

He was breathing hard, "Seungyeon-ie..?"

"Hyung, I don't know how to tell you this...", Yoseob started to say.

He was scared and he did not want to hear what Yoseob was going to say but at the same time he wanted to shout for answers.

He took a deep breath as his heart pounded in his ears.

"Hyung....", he heard Yoseob take a deep breath.

All the noise was diminished and all the sound only came from his phone.

Then silence. It was silence and calmnness, A calmness before the storm.

"Seungyeon-ie.... she..."

All feelings was staring to disappear from his hands. 

He listened attentively as Yoseob explained, "She... she jumped off the third floor of our school building.." 

It was like a bomb, a bomb that exploded in his chest. His chest felt hallow and excruciatingly painful. His heart was in so much pain. 

He heard a crash and looked down at his shattered phone on the ground. He didn't even realize that his phone had crashed to the ground.

Then he was numb.

His heart pummeled down to his gut and he felt like throwing up as Yoseob's words echoed in his head...

"she jumped off the third floor of our school building .."

"Hyung, it's Seungyeon..."

"she jumped off the third floor"

"it's Seungyeon..."

"she jumped off"

"Seungyeon..."

"she jumped.."

"Seungyeon... jumped.."

 



PREVIEW: Secrets