Lee Jinki (Onew)

Will You Marry Me?

Disclaimer: This is all me, any similarity to anyone else is completely accidental. English is my first language. (Although I live in the Philippines and I'm full Chinese. XD) No one edited or pre-read this except for me. Do point out any mistakes. Most importantly, I hope you enjoy!

 

I’m fidgeting with my hands nervously. The little box in my right pocket suddenly feels like it weighs a ton. I know I want to do this. More sure than I’ve ever been in my entire life. I just can’t help but think about what might happen after I do it. Life is so great right now; I don’t want it to suddenly crash around me. My whole life is changing in just a few hours, wouldn’t that make anybody nervous?

 

“Look Onew hyung, you just need to calm down. Being nervous isn’t doing you any good.” Key suddenly said in my ear, making me almost jump out of my shoes.

 

“Yeah, just take a chill pill. Think about your girl and how much you love her. That ought to calm you down.” Jjong added, chuckling.

 

I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes. As soon as I did, I saw her. My light, my inspiration, my world. She’s like a crazy hurricane, putting a path of change in my life. So many things I thought I knew about myself but obviously didn’t. She showed me that. I never wanted anybody to call me Jinki. I still don’t like anybody telling me that. It just reminded me of bad things. But when that name falls of her lips, it’s different. It feels like she’s calling out to my soul. Because I can’t think of any other way to call her but my soulmate.

 

“Onew huyng? Hyung? We’re done setting up and we need to leave soon.” Taemin said, grabbing my attention.

 

“I know Jjong hyung told you to think about her to calm down but we didn’t want you to zone out completely!” Minho said, hitting the back of my head while laughing.

 

“Oh, okay! Sorry! You know how I can get sometimes. Thank you so much though guys. You’ve all been great help. I owe you all one.” I said, hugging everybody.

 

“Good luck hyung!” Tae shouted before leaving.

 

“Yeah hyung, fighting!” Minho said calmly, with his fist raised, following the maknae out.

 

“I expect a call telling me what happened. Or at least a text got it? You have 24 hours from this moment.” Key said, running out, nagging to Tae about shouting.

 

“Really hyung. She loves you as much as you love her. I’m sure she’ll say yes.” Jjong said.

 

“You can’t be sure Jjong. What if she’s not ready? Or maybe she just doesn’t want to spend the rest of her life with me? Or maybe---“

 

“Hyung, stop that! She LOVES you. This is something BOTH of you want. You’ve said so yourself; you want to have, as much as possible, all kinds of experiences, because each experience will give birth to something new. This is it hyung! This is the start of your new journey. I’m sure you can’t imagine it with anyone else other than her. Right?”

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” I said with more conviction than I actually had. “Thanks Jjong.”

 

“Good luck Onew hyung. Just remember, whatever happens, we’re here for you. Always have, always will be.”

 

“I know Jjong, I really appreciate all of your help. When you do this someday, I’ll be there every step, promise.”

 

“I’m gonna hold you to that. Call any one of us as soon as possible okay?”

 

“You’ve got it! Now shoo! She’ll be here any minute now.”

 

“Alright, alright already.”

 

So Jjong stepped out of the door as well and for the first time in over 10 hours, I was finally alone to think. I started to think about the early years of SHINee. All those variety asking about our ideal types. She’s everything I wanted to be. Well her cooking has a lot left to be desired but she’s been working on it with Key and even from the very beginning the only thing she could cook properly was chicken. That’s definitely good enough for me. Now what’s taking her so long?

 

Hey, I’m just wondering if you’re on the way? An ETA would be wonderful. I texted.

 

ETA? She replied.

 

Estimated time of arrival, beautiful. I quickly texted back.

 

Oh, about 10 more minutes, I guess?

 

See you soon then.

 

See you. XOXO

 

Okay I have 10 minutes before my life changes forever. Whether good or bad, that I’m not sure of. I decided to play the piano a little to calm my nerves. Music has always been the surefire way to get me to calm down and just relax after all. I imagined her in front of me and I played the song I wrote for her all those years before when we first met.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqUWY7iwSs

 

I finished playing it and started to just press random keys humming a melody when I heard a voice behind me.

 

“Oh oppa, that was beautiful as always.”

 

“You’re here!”

 

“Yeah, I heard you playing and I didn’t want to disturb you. Besides, I love hearing you play that song.”

 

“All you have to do is ask and I’ll be happy to play it for you, whenever you want.”

 

“I’ll remember to take you up on that.”

 

“Anytime jagiya.”

 

I went to her and took her hand pulling her to the garden. As we got closer, I covered her eyes with a blindfold.

 

“Jinki oppa?”

 

“Don’t worry jagiya, I’ve got you.”

 

This was it. Now or never. I took her to the spot we had marked a while ago, too nervous to even look at the final touches the other members had added.

 

“Okay, you can take the blindfold off now.”

 

I watched her take it off, paying attention to her reaction.”

 

“Oppa, what’s this? Is this all for me?”  Her face held a touch of wonder and amazement. “It’s beautiful, I can’t believe you went through all the trouble…” She started going towards the gazebo and that’s when I decided to look around. My dongsaengs really did a good job. All of the surrounding tress were covered in fairy lights and there was even a path of petals leading towards the gazebo. There were candles everywhere in the gazebo much like when we were filming Fire.

 

“Oppa, what’s with all of this? I didn’t forget an important date or anything did I?”

 

“No…um…I don’t know how to start this so I’m just going to jump right in.” I said, looking at my feet fidgeting. How do I do this? I should have practiced or written it out. Maybe even try it out in front of the mirror or something. I thought my debut stage was nerve-wracking , this is practically heart attack inducing.  

 

“Oppa?” Oh yeah, back to the present pabo. I took a deep breath.

 

“From the moment you walked into my life, I knew you were different. You always smiled, you made me laugh, you were my sunshine. It’s been 5 years now and I can’t imagine life without you. I still remember the first time we met, you were hiding behind your hair but even then I knew you were beautiful. 1 year into it and I could already see our kids running around, you in my arms, just us living the dream. All my life all I’ve ever dream was to become successful, after SHINee was born, all I asked was for our friendship to stay strong. Who would have thought God would give me that and more?” I said, pausing to look at her eyes. This is it, the home stretch. I can do this.

 

“ I’ve spent months thinking about how I was going to this, even to the point of asking Jjong and Key for advice and you know how unhelpful they can be sometimes. I asked for everyone’s help in creating this place. I know it’s not the fancy dinner with the French food and wine. In fact, this was completely against Kibum’s plans. But through all the planning, I realized this was about you and me, not about what other people thought. Of course, if you prefer the whole wine and dine thing I’ll be happy to give that to you too. I will do everything in my power to make you happy. With that in mind, you know I love you right? You are my everything. I could quote the lyrics of all of our love songs and I used to think they were highly fantasized. I thought that no one could feel that way in reality but ever since I met you, I realized maybe it’s not so impossible after all.” I slowly sank down to one knee, pulled the ring box from my pocket and opened it towards her. I hear her gasp but I wait to look up.

 

“I don’t know if you remember but I once said that I believe you can change people’s lives by saying just one word. Right now, in this moment, I’ve never believed it more. Will you change my life for the better by giving me the privilege of calling you my wife? Marry me.”

 

 

So that's it for now. It took a while, I have to admit. I'm not a fast writer. So like I said in the foreword, feel free to comment who you would like to see but definitely going to do SHINee first and foremost. I might even do weddings if I feel like it's better for the idol. This is exactly 1,500 words. (I'm WAY to obsessive compulsive) Too sappy? Please do comment, I love being able to use criticisms.