Bottomless Love

Bottomless Love

Have you ever imagine someone that you barely talk to become someone that you love the most? Someone that you could never imagined would become yours. Someone that would become your one in a million. Someone that can make your day full of sunshine just by his presence. One day he was there as your friend and the next day he is your everything.

 

Hyunseung and Hyuna were classmates for almost two years but they were far from what you can call as ‘friends’. They never talked to each other like most friends would do. Never start a conversation. Nothing. There was a time when they talked with each other but it was because they were assigned to be in the same group so it was merely a ‘work talk’. Their eyes never met each other’s. They were merely strangers to each other.

 

“How could we possibly be in love with each other?” Never in their right mind would the idea of them together come to the duo’s mind. But in the blink of an eye, the pair were together, laughing over something that one of them had said and doing something silly together that everyone else thought as weird.

 

Unaware of his own feeling, Hyunseung smiled every time he saw Hyuna laughed and sometimes his best friends would saying he looked like a fool whose in love. Hyunseung would blush every time it happened and denied it saying he just find her cute, nothing more than that. His day would turned dull every time he saw Hyuna talked to other guys in school. Hyunseung got worried when Hyuna didn’t attend school making him lose focus in class. And yet Hyuna knew nothing about this.

 

For quite some time, Hyuna actually felt butterflies on her stomach every time she saw Hyunseung smiled. Hyuna would have mood swings every time Hyunseung talked to other girls in school and she would always looked at Hyunseung’s empty seat when he was not around, wondering where and what he could possibly be doing at the time. But these things never made them think that they had fallen for each other because Hyunseung and Hyuna never tried to talk to one another comfortably. Not that they never tried, but it never turned out well.

 

But one day everything changed just because of something that would make people who heard the story went “that’s it?”. It was nothing special but it meant something to the pair. A day that Hyunseung and Hyuna would never forget and treasure it in their heart.

 

It all started with an accident. It was lunch break and as usual Hyuna and her four best friends would go to the cafeteria to eat their lunch but the cafeteria was unusually full that day so they decided to go to Hyuna’s class to eat their lunch and they had to use the main corridor in order to get to Hyuna’s class. It never empty especially during lunch breaks. Being the mood maker, Hyuna turned to her friends and cracked a joke which as usual earned their laughs. When she turned around to face the front, she swung her hands and her long right arm accidentally hit someone’s face.

 

“I’m sorry! I wasn’t looking!” It was him, the guy that she barely talked to. “It’s okay,” Hyunseung’s smile made her heart skipped a beat. “Your nose is bleeding!” Hyuna exclaimed after seeing blood escaped his nose. Hyunseung immediately went to the nearest water fountain to wash his blood. Unconsciously, Hyuna followed him from the back while apologizing to him thousands and thousands of time, leaving her friends who were in confusion.

 

“I’m okay. It’s not a big deal, okay?” again, he gave Hyuna his best smile. Hyuna stopped for a moment, frozen on her spot.

Hyunseung waved his hand in front of Hyuna, “Are you okay? I said it’s okay. It’s not your fault. Don’t have to feel guilty or anything.”

“Did we just talk with each other?” Hyuna looked him in the eyes, still in the state of surprise. Hyunseung who just realized the situation also questioned, “Did we?”. They talked to each other after almost two years being in the same class. They finally talked like a ‘friend’, not because of some school works or because they were assigned to the same group in class. They laughed together at this fact.

 

Since then, little by little, things changed between them. Hyunseung and Hyuna would look at each other while talking. They even spent most of their time in class together, always making eye contact every time their teacher asked to partner up. The pair always gave signals to each other during class which would earned “what the hell are they doing?” from the students that saw it.

 

People around them noticed something between them but the duo would deny any presumptions about them being together when they both clearly knew they’re just close and nothing more. Thanks to the ‘accident’ the other day that they became so close.

 

“Are you going to join us for lunch later?” Sohyun asked Hyuna when they met at the corridor but to her disappointment Hyuna couldn’t join her friends.

“Sorry, but Hyunseung asked me to help him with his maths.”

“Again?” Gayoon joined them from behind with Jiyoon arm’s slung around her shoulder. They went to Jihyun who was busy taking her book from her locker.

“Are you guys like, together now?” Jihyun said, her back still facing Hyuna and the others and Hyuna as usual would say the same thing as what she usually told them over and over again, “Nooooo. We’re just friends,” followed by a smile.

 

Becoming someone’s everything would be the last thing on her list but still, both of them would act as if they’re dating each other when clearly they don’t. They would call each other at night just to say sweet dreams or good night and sending a morning text everyday like it’s a habit. Their teachers would asked Hyunseung why Hyuna absent from school and vice versa. They would help each other and always there for one another in times of need. Always have each other’s shoulder to lean on when one’s having a hard time.

 

Ten years has passed and yet they both never officially involved in any serious relationship. ‘More than friends but less than a lover’, that's what they are. Hyuna sometimes would think to herself if this friendship would go anywhere but just thinking about being together with him made her happy. No one really knew what’s inside Hyunseung’s heart though. Every time they met their old friends from high school, they would hear the same thing, “YOU GUYS ARE STILL TOGETHER?!” but the pair didn’t say anything but smile.

 

Like any other day, Hyuna and Hyunseung went to their favourite restaurant for lunch. Hyuna had no idea what will happen there. He already planned something special that day. A proposal to Hyuna. They talked, laughed and all.

“I’m going to the toilet first.” Hyunseung felt really nervous because it was once in a lifetime chance for him. Now or never. He practiced his speech once again and went back to his table after he composed himself.

 

“What took you so long? Are you okay?” Hyuna asked after Hyunseung took his seat across her. Apparently Hyunseung took about 15 minutes to finish his ‘business’.

“Yeah, I’m okay.” Hyunseung gave her a reassuring smile before he continued. “Hyuna,” he stopped to look at Hyuna in the eyes. Hyuna looked up to meet Hyunseung’s eyes, “Emm?” Hyuna waited for Hyunseung’s reply.

 

“We have known each other for so long as I can remember and I am sure you have had questions yourself if our relationship now would go beyond just this. I never proposed you to be my girlfriend because I don’t want to. I don’t want you be my girlfriend because I want you to be my wife. I don’t want to text you every day and night to tell you good night or good morning. I want to wake up with you by my side every single day and close my eyes every night with you in my arms. I don’t want you to bring my favourite food for me every time we met because I want to cook it with you at our own house. Maybe you are wondering why I want to propose you here rather than at some fancy restaurant. It’s because I want you to remember this moment every time we go here.”

 

Before Hyuna could utter a word, Hyunseung already moved from his seat and kneeled down in front of her. He took a small box from his pocket and opened and there it was, a diamond ring that Hyuna had fancied from a long time ago. Hyunseung took a deep breath before he continued, “So, will you marry me?”

 

Tears of joy rolled down her cheeks. Hyuna immediately hugged Hyunseung making him surprised by her action. “YES HYUNSEUNG! YES I WILL!!!”. Hyunseung broke the hug and took Hyuna’s left hand and put on the diamond ring on her. It fit perfectly. Indeed the ring was made for her. He kissed Hyuna’s lips and uttered, “I love you”.

 

“You know, this is the second happiest day of my life.” Hyunseung’s statement made her shock.

“And why is that?” Hyuna looked at her husband-to-be curiously.

Hyunseung smiled wittily, “Because the incident that happened 10 years ago when you accidentally hit me on the face was the happiest day of my life.”

 

They held a wedding ceremony half a year later at a grand hotel and they invited all their old classmates from high school.

“FINALLY!” Sohyun screamed when she saw her friend in a beautiful wedding dress. Hyuna look confused as she still didn’t get what her friend meant.

“Kim Hyuna dear, don’t you know that we waited for this to happen since 10 years ago?” Jiyoon teased the confused bride.

“Really?” Hyuna asked rather surprised which earned laughs from her four best friends.