-

boogie man

 
 
i.


“Eww!” Five year old Victoria frowned at the sight of a boy her age shamelessly picking his nose. “Stop it! That’s gross!” She decided that today was going to be a happy day because her mommy allowed her to play with other kids in the playground. She had been a very good girl all morning and she’s going to keep being one because play dates with friends are fun. “I said stop it, booger man!”

Said booger man looked up at her with his mismatched eyes, pinky finger still stuck in his nose. He grinned. “Make me.”

With much hesitation, she reached out to pull the offending finger out of his nose when he grabbed her wrist and wiped the dried mucus on her cheek. Victoria screamed in disgust, kicked him in the shin and ran away looking for her mommy with tears pooling in her eyes.



ii.


Changmin knew someone was staring at him. He could feel it. He could feel holes boring on the back of his head. It was creepy and at the same time, amusing. Quickly taking a glance behind him, the suspect was caught red-handed. He should have known.

His twelve year old self couldn’t understand why Victoria just couldn’t let it go. When the latter’s mom had given him a visit in his house the day after the incident, he apologized albeit half-heartedly. It was still an apology so it counts. He was a kid. He didn’t know what he was doing.

Okay, so maybe he did know what he was doing and intentionally did it but he only wanted to chase her away. She was interrupting his boogie time and no one interrupts Changmin’s boogie time! He let out a deep sigh then a mischievous smile appeared on his face. Taking out his gray-colored kneaded eraser, he molded it in a circle about the size of a booger then flicked it to Victoria’s direction. The girl jumped out of her seat and screamed, disturbing the whole class.

She was sent outside the room for punishment and Changmin couldn’t help but feel guilty.

It’s her fault anyway, he tried to convince himself.



iii.


He didn’t know how or when it started. All he knew was everytime he sees her, he would feel funny inside. His heart would make weird noises and it felt like it would explode from the loud and rapid thumping. It felt weird and oddly, he kind of liked it.

Victoria and the tall Chinese guy whose name he didn’t bother to know looked good together. That’s what everyone said. They would make a perfect couple. Changmin found himself strongly disagreeing to that. The Chinese guy is in no way perfect. His too pointed nose makes him look like Pinocchio. A very Chinese Pinocchio. He’s too thin and pale, even paler than Victoria. He doesn’t look manly enough. Victoria doesn’t need someone like that. She needs someone tough, someone who can protect her, someone that is not the Chinese guy.

“You’re jealous.” Changmin shook his head, saying that he isn’t.

But why is he so upset?

Changmin then came to a conclusion that high school makes you feel strange things.



iv.


Four years later and Changmin was still denying his feelings, much to his friends' annoyance. If locking himself up in his room for a week refusing to come out and go to school when word got out that the Chinese guy and Victoria was actually dating wasn't enough proof that he's infatuated -- or maybe in love with her, then, whatever. They're done dealing with Changmin and his stubbornness. They'd be more than willing to let him be depressed all his pitiful life.



v.


"They're getting married." he said with so much bitterness that his friend had to wince at it.

"Yes, we know."

"I don't get it. I mean, after all these years, they're still together?"

Kyuhyun, the friend, looked at him like he had just grown two heads. "No, Changmin. You got it all wrong. It's supposed to be, after all these years, why haven't you made a move? All you do is and make fun of her which, if you must know, wouldn't make her realize that you actually like her."

"I'm stupid, aren't I?"

"We've been telling you that since high school."

"Maybe I should--"

"No. You are not going to ruin anything, specially not their wedding. Now be a good bully and attend their wedding without doing anything that you would regret. You're lucky you're even invited."

Changmin sighed. "In three seconds, you're going to make fun of me." Ignoring his friend's confused look, he pulled the man in a strong hug, burying his face on the his chest as he cried his heart out.