The Choices to Make

Commitment of Choice
prologue
 the choices to make
 
 
 
 
 

What's going on here...?

A man in front of me was on one knee, peering up at me with a dazzling smile while I could only stare back down at him with shock stamped all over my face.

"Won't you accompany me on a date?"

I still didn't know the identity of the man in front of me. Nor did I realize that this meeting would change my life forever...

Okay, let me start myself from the beginning first.

I was out enjoying my first day off since arriving here in Charles Kingdom as an exchange student just a few days ago. This country, with a history spanning 80 generations, values its people's autonomy over old traditions and more importantly, has a glamorous streak. This sense of glamor seemed to tint the picture-perfect streets of the city as well as the people filling them. The first time I walked out of the airport... It literally took my breath away. I always dreamed of seeing it for myself, and now I'm here.

Seeing it in person really is different than looking at photos... Everything just seemed so much more... Vibrant and alive. Splashes of color and life everywhere my eyes could see... It was then I saw an old man in the street, doubled over while everyone else simply glanced at him and continued on their ways. Even though the people here might be fine with just ignoring an elderly man in obvious pain, I certainly wasn't. Maybe I wasn't the most charitable person ever, but there was no way I was going to ignore someone like that.

"Are you okay?!" I called out out to him as I hurried to his side and the old man looked up at me with a troubled expression that clouded over his bright eyes and wrinkled his creased regal face even more. What struck me then even as I began to scan over his hunched body was the fact that his clothes were... Odd. Not something you would see people walking around the streets in, almost as if he had stepped out of a ancient painting somewhere.

But before I could wonder about where he had come from, he groaned softly before muttering quietly, "Oh, I suddenly feel a tad unwell, that is all..." A tad unwell was certainly not what I saw, not when he let out a painful sigh afterwards.

"I saw a park just over there. How would you like to sit with me on one of its benches?" I kept my voice soft and comforting as my hand naturally reached out to rub his back gently with an appeasing smile on his face.

The elderly man shook his head slowly as his eyes now held gratefulness in them, gazing at me with a steady look. "That's all right, somebody should be coming for me soon enough..." The old man's words trailed off as his eyes rested on the local map that was pulled up on my smartphone. "Miss, you are not from here, yes?

"Oh, yeah." The question itself was a bit surprising, but I suppose he simply wanted to fill in the silence while he waited for who ever was picking him up. "I just came here a few days ago..." I started before catching myself, swallowing down the words that I was about to say about myself. No way that I was going to be babbling like this to a random man on the street, even if he was an elder. "Um, is there something...?"

The man's lips now curled up into a slight smile as I could clearly see the pain starting to recede in his expression, the clouded look fading away from his bright eyes. "No, no, it's nothing. Please excuse me. I can get distracted from time to time."

A bit odd and not to mention creepy at the same time, but I simply let it go then as a returning weak smile was given to him, "Uhm... Okay..."

Before I could say anything more though, a black luxury car then drove up to us and even before it came to a complete stop, a tall and godly looking man was already climbing out. He seemed to be in a hurry, wearing a nicely creased and crisp black suit as he called out in a nearly breathless voice, "Master, has something happened?"

I addressed the now kneeling man from the car, whose face had turned pale as his sharp eyes darted back and forth between me and the old man I was still holding upright, "He seemed to be feeling unwell."

The man looked even more troubled by my words and he put his hand to the elder's shoulder, speaking in a more controlled and softer tone, "Are you alright, sir?"

"Yes, much better thanks to this young lady... Thank you," the old man leaned on the younger man's hand as he straightened up and smiled at me.

"No, please. Anyways, I should get going..." It was more than a bit embarrassing to have him look at me with that overwhelmingly grateful look, though I couldn't say that I didn't feel a bit of pride at the same time.

It only seemed proper then to give a slight bow before I turned to leave, but the old man called out to stop me. "Please, one moment."

Almost immediately, I turned myself back as I could see the old man was whispering something to the other. That lasted only about a second before he turned back to me, the kindly grandfather look on his face even more alive now. "What is your name, young lady?"

"My name?" I couldn't help but repeat the question, a bit dumbfounded at the fact that he wanted to know it... This quickly.

It seemed as if he might have some sort of psychic powers, for as soon as he saw the expression on his face, he flashed me a bright smile and laughed softly. "I'd like to know the name of a person who has treated me with such kindness, wouldn't you?" The words that came out of his mouth sounded lightly amused as he then handed me a piece of paper that had been given to him by the man by his side.

"If you ever need any help, please allow me to return the favor. All you need to do is contact me at this number," he continued on lightly as I could see there was a telephone number writing on the paper, which I had accepted without thinking.

Then the realization of what I had just done struck me, my mouth opening again in protest as I reached out to hand him back the paper, "Um... I..."

Before I could form a thought, the old man spoke again as his gentle hands pushed the paper even more into my palm."Your name, miss?"

It didn't seem as if I was going to be able to go if my name wasn't given... And I supposed giving a first name wasn't all too bad. Startled by the slightly forceful tone, I replied in a rush though with a slightly forced smile pushed up, "Um, my name is you."

I was strolling aimlessly through the city as I looked down at the paper I had just received, destination all but forgotten after that little interesting incident. I really had no idea what to do with this... While the little logical voice in the back of my head said to throw it away. All I did was rub his back a little and then he suddenly offers me with help if I wanted it? What was he now, like my fairy godmother? ... Well, for now, in my pocket it goes... Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask for his help if I ever needed it.

Before I could clear my thoughts and get a hold of where I even was, I felt something strike me lightly on the top of my head. A bit confused and nervous, I looked up to see that the sky which was so bright just a moment ago was now covered by dark rain clouds. Raindrops were falling, the rain growing heavier and heavier, so I ran for cover under the awning of the closest shop without any hesitation. As much as I liked rainstorms... I didn't exactly want to get soaking wet while I hardly even knew my way around the city.

As fate would have it, the store I dashed into was a flower shop, full of a variety of fragrances that immediately assaulted my senses with beauty. Suddenly overcome by all the blossoms surrounding me that brought even more splashes of vivid color to a now drab and greying day, I let out a whisper without thinking, "They're so beautiful..."

And then the soft voice of a man reached my ears."Beautiful flowers for a beautiful young lady."

Twitching slightly from the shock of hearing someone's voice so nearby, I turned around quickly to see... Someone holding out an umbrella to me with this nearly angelic smile on his face. And damn, my mind seemed to go blank at the moment from the sight I was seeing, giving me this dazed expression as if he had fallen in front of the sky. Which he could have, for all I would have known.

Almost immediately, he continued speaking as all I could do was stare mesmerized at that seemingly photogenic face that he was looking intently at me with, "I'm sorry. That was a bit forward of me. Did I frighten you?"

I didn't even realize until now that the holder of the umbrella was a young man with a gentle smile... And holy shizzles, did it make him look even better, standing there with the now pouring rain falling all around that blue umbrella. Just perfect, I thought. When was the day you got to see a perfectly perfect man appear in front of you and all you can do is stand there with my mouth open like a dying goldfish. I couldn't seem to shake off the feeling though that this man... I felt like I had seen him somewhere before. And those clothes... My head tilted slightly to the side as I eyed his somewhat fancy clothing.

The man seemed completely unfazed as I continued to just stare him, chuckling quietly at me before asking again in that low soft voice that seemed as silky as chocolate, "... Aren't you getting wet standing there?" His gentle smile appeared on his lips once again as he held the umbrella out to me.

Meanwhile, there was a mini argument going on in my mind... This guy seriously reminds me of Charles' Prince Jongin. But there is no way a prince would be wandering around a place like this... To spare myself any more embarrassment, I somehow managed to close my mouth and blink a few times before coherent words came from me, "That's okay... I'm fine under this awning. I think that you're the only one getting wet..."

That gentle laugh again and the smile on his face growing even more brilliant. I was already beginning to wonder when I could actually look at my surroundings without him constantly distracting me as he replied quite off-handedly, "I'm all right."

Then his attention was fixed to the flowers that it seemed we had both been staring at before he spoke, "You know, if you listen hard enough, it almost seems like you can hear whispers from beautiful flowers like these," another soft chuckle and seeing him step a bit closer to the shop and me, "Hearing that, I came to this shop, and here, this beautiful flower..."

His eyes darted back up to me, the smile spreading to the warmth that he held in those dark eyes.

Once again, I was struck completely dumb as all my mind could do was wonder... Beautiful flower...? That smile that he used to effortlessly seemed to me in and suddenly I felt my heart pounding and the tell-tale sign of heat rushing up to my face...

I really had to stop looking at him or else this situation was going to turn out even more embarrassing for me. An awkward sound escaped my throat as I attempted to clear it to distract myself from his gaze... And then, over the man's shoulder, I noticed that great many black cars were speeding by.

That was a better thing to be staring at than the god standing in front of me, probably browsing the flowers that he complimented so highly... So I had to continue at the expensive cars as they flew by far past the speed limit, one after another in a seemingly never ending line of them. One of these cars splashed up mud as it passed, making a splat sound as it came to the sidewalk not even a foot away from where the male was obliviously still gazing away at the flowers.

At this point, my eyes widened as my poor brain felt more cleared after not staring at his face the entire time, realizing that if he continued to stand there... He was going to get covered in mud!

As I thought the words, a cry of "Hey! Watch out!" escaped from my lips as I could see the next fancy limo come racing past... A mini wave of brown water rising up from the spinning tire. I don't even think I was in control my body any more as I dashed forward to try and protect the man from the splash.

And then... With a splash, my clothes were covered with muddy water, leaving me gasping loudly and reeling slightly in shock from the impact of the freezing cold water on the street.

Finally then, it seemed as if the man noticed what was going on around him besides the flowers. "Um..." was all he could say at first, eyes widening before the man sprung into action, propelled me towards the flower shop and looked me over with only concern in those dark eyes. "Are you alright?"

By that point, I was practically shivering as the coldness was seeping through my now soaked clothes, teeth chatter as that provided a distraction to not look at him and instead focus my eyes down to the floor. "I... Y-Yes." That was what I said, but I clearly was not feeling alright, but there was no need to worry him...

Then the car that had splattered me with mud stopped a little way ahead and another young man (with a quite innocent and young looking face to him) stepped out of it with eyes wider than I could have ever imagined anyone to have and a worried expression plastered all over his face. "Please forgive me. Were you struck, miss?" he immediately said after dashing through the rain to our awning. As he spoke, his eyes fell on the man beside me though and now his expression held just more than surprise in them, "Oh..."

It was as if I was invisible to the scene right now, now that I was too irritated by it anyway. There I was, shivering away like a sewer rat while I noticed that both of them had outfits on that... I couldn't even imagine a normal person ever wearing unless...

The wide-eyed man now seemed to regain his calm enough to carefully inquire, "Were you... On your way to the party, sir?"

The male with the umbrella had simply been gazing at the newcomer for this entire time before opening his mouth to speak, "Yes..."

Just then, a new voice snapped into the conversation, immediately cutting the speaking male from saying any more. "... What are you doing?"

I turned in the direction of that voice at the same time as the other two males did. Then I saw another man step out of the car, in a rather dressy clothes just like the man beside me but with a much more... Formidable air to his towering build and equally photogenic face that would have looked even handsomer and perfect if he didn't have such a irritated expression on... That I was sure I saw somewhere.

The one that had came out of that same car before now suddenly bowed his head and quietly mumbled a reply as myself and the other male could only watch as the newest man strode towards us with long and powerful strides. "Forgive me, sir. This young lady here was struck with mud due to my reckless driving and..."

"Mud?" The forceful tone in his voice was just as challenging as his bold stare as I could only stare at him back, a mild feeling of irritation building inside of me even with how cold and uncomfortable I was feeling...

Then he seemed to notice the man beside me and started, blinking a few times before he then spoke in a much more cordial tone, "... Sorry, but I'm in a hurry. Kyungsoo, you take care of this."

After he spoke with those words pointedly expressed towards the man with the umbrella, he turned his back on us and hurried back to his car without even a second glance back at us.

Now I was growing even more pissed. If he hadn't even turned his back on us then and stomped away so quickly, I would have probably snapped at him for his apparent lack of manners. He didn't even apologize?

Meanwhile while I was silently fuming, the awkwardly quiet voice of who I now knew as Kyungsoo weakly raised,"Er... Please accept our apologies, miss."

I only turned my still intense expression to him, my mind haven't even processing what he had been saying as I raised an eyebrow at him, the anger slowly starting to seep out of my system now that the other male was out of my sight, "Wait... What did you say?"

This hardly seemed to affect him in the very least as he simply continued on in the same polite manner, "You must allow us to pay to replace your damaged clothes. Here... You need only send us the bill after you buy something to replace your outfit," his hands busy with pulling out and pushing into my hands a thick finely printed and made card as he spoke.

Before he could say any more, that deep voice that had made me so irritated before now sounded out as he turned his head back slightly towards us, eyebrows furrowed even more than before, "Come on! Let's go."

Kyungsoo had no more time to speak to me as he immediately stuttered back to a reply and hurriedly rushed off almost like a guilty puppy after the tall male back to their car, "A-at once, sir!"

I heard a snickering laugh from behind me as I could only watch them drive away just as quickly as they had come, the uncomfortable feeling wet clothes forgotten momentarily with what had been happening.

"He just never changes..." he softly commented to me as I saw the man smiling when I turned to look at him. Bad decision again, feeling the blush rising once more with how he was looking at me while... I was this disgusting looking. "First... You take this," smoothly holding out a snow white and beautiful designed handkerchief to me.

The hesitation was all over my face as all I could was just stare at him with eyes probably as big as Kyungsoo's had been as I debated for a moment whether or not I should take it or not... So I did, not wanting to reject his kindness and make a bigger buffoon of myself than I already had. "Thank you," I tried to say with as much gratefulness as I could pack into two words as I lightly patted at the mud with the handkerchief.

I tried to avoid his eyes that I just knew were watching me sadly as I stained his lovely handkerchief to a light brown. "I am sorry, though. Your lovely outfit was ruined just for me..." his murmur being carried over to me as in the corner of my eye, I could see the umbrella being snapped shut.

I was determined not to make myself seem even worse than I was as a smile came onto my face at the thought of just how worried he was... For someone he didn't even know. Turning towards him, the smile flashed into a grin as I ardently shook my head, "No, it's not... It wasn't your fault. Please don't worry about it. I was just being idiotic as usual..."

As soon as my eyes had met his, the man seemed startled by my smile as he stared openly at my face. Now I questioned what I had said was actually... Right for me to even mention, the serious expression on his face making me more than a bit nervous again.

Then... He dropped to one knee before me and took my hand in his. I was back into the same kind of shock as before, too stunned to even do anything but stare at him again.

And the words that came next from his now smiling mouth...

"Won't you accompany me on a date?"

I can't believe that I'm actually here...

That was the only thought in my head as I stood before the castle of Nobel Michel. It was the largest castle in the world, best known for being a site where only members of the royal families of the six great kingdoms could be married. It was the holy land for any girl in the world who had ever dreamed of being a princess. But what was I doing in this place that any woman would dream to come to?

The truth was that I had been brought thanks to that man's sudden invitation...

"A... Date?"

I stood fixed to the spot in shock, my mouth opening and closing like a dying goldfish again as my mind reeled and threatened to black out from what he had said.

All the while, another gentle smile appeared on his face as he continued to watch me intently,"To ruin a woman's clothing is as serious a sin as to pluck a beautiful rose from its branch."

I was seriously not grasping anything that was happening right now. He just asked me on a date because my clothes were dirtied? What kind of amazing deed did I do in my last life for this for godlike men like him to asking me out like this? And a beautiful rose...? What does that have to do with anything...? What came from my mouth then was certainly not well-thought out words, "Uh... But... O-okay...?"

It seemed that was all he needed to hear before the man nodded briefly in approval and... Then drew my hand to his and kissed the back of it, the feeling of his soft and light lips ghosting over the back of hand making me twitch once more and nearly pull it out of his gentle grasp as if it had been burned.

The quiet laugh appeared once more too as he continued on, making practically the most cutest pouting face that I had ever seen a man do,"I don't know if this can serve as an appropriate apology, but... Won't you do me the honor of going with me to tonight's party?"

Who in their right mind would reject such an invitation with a man like this? But my mind couldn't help but now feel a bit more concerned about this... Party? What kind of party could it be...

Then the man continued with a serious expression while I was in my daze, my hand having flopped back to my side without my noticing while he was back on both of his feet and turned away towards a taller and much more... Darker feeling male standing nearby. Funny, I didn't even notice him until now as he strode closer, meeting the man's eyes. "Tao, if you could make the necessary preparations?

The male bowed slightly and replied back immediately, my gaze managing to catch that he had probably the darkest eye shadows I've ever seen on anyone. "At once, sir."

No! I couldn't miss this chance to say what I needed to say, the worries I had about this... Sudden "party" I was going with a man that I didn't even know, nevermind the fact that he was handsome than what I was used to. So I hurridly opened my mouth to speak when I heard that exchange, breaking in between them with my eyes darting back and forth, "But I can't possibly go to a party! I-I just came to Charles as an exchange student. I didn't bring anything dressy to wear or..."

Then the man smiled gently again as his smooth voice caused mine to trail off with just how intense his gaze seemed to be fixed on me, "That is nothing to worry about. We will take care of everything."

As he spoke and I was back into unwilling silence again for the countless time that day, he clapped his hands and several men and women appeared at that signal like... Literally, magic. Just popped out from corners and shops while my eyes must have been bugging out of their sockets at the sights around me.

Unbothered by my shock, he gave out orders to the people who had appeared around us with clear precision in every word that he said, "A dress for the lady, please. And hair and makeup, too."

Then, giving me a swift glance with that soft smile on his face, he added in, "Oh, and have these clothes cleaned and have replacements prepared as well."

So there I was... But I never thought I would be brought someplace like this...

I had just stepped into the castle of Nobel Michel. The dress that I was wearing was... Quite formal, dusting the ground with every step I took even in those intimidating high-heels that I had to get used to. Certainly not the type of party that I had imagined when he first said the word but, I couldn't say that I didn't prefer this more than a wild drugged up one.

It was frighteningly alone in that massive hallway, only me standing there awkwardly and holding up the hem of the dress to stop myself from somehow tripping on it. He told me that he would see me inside, but... I never even had time to ask him his name.

Oh well, it wasn't going to get me any good if I just continued to stand out here like a lost puppy. Mustering up my courage, I was just about to push the closed doors open that I could hear faint strain of classical music leaking through when I was nearly knocked over by someone stepping out of the room.

Before I could even focus on anything besides getting my now cursed two left feet to stand steadily on those tiny heels, I heard a voice speak right in front of me, "... Excuse me."

Thanking the fact that the ladies had done a fine enough job to completely paint my face over and cover the heat coming to my face once more, I looked up and saw an impossibly beautiful face looking down at me. A male face, that was too. Just as perfect as the male whom I was supposed to meet here, but in a different way... More graceful looking, I suppose.

I don't even know how I managed to recover myself so quickly before I had lowered my face to hide my eyes and replied back quietly, "No, I am the one who must apologize."

"I haven't seenyou at one of these parties before," he spoke again, making my eyes flicker up to him... Smiling at me and looking even better than before, if that was even possible. To avoid the embarrassment that I had just went through that afternoon, I quickly averted my eyes to the outfit that he wore... Which immediately reminded me of a military general, very formally and fancily dressed like the man I had met this afternoon.

Opening my mouth a bit, I swallowed to get some saliva in to speak correctly again before I replied "... It is a pleasure, sir. My name is you."

"... A pleasure." That was all he said, and I couldn't help but feel nervous again at those curt words before there was a brief paused and he continued on, "Is this perhaps your first time here?"

I nodded when he asked, a mild feeling of relief flooding into me that I hadn't wholly screwed everything up yet, "Yes, it is."

But I couldn't help but wonder... How could he tell that it was? I was feeling confident enough by that point that as I stared curiously at him, he smiled for a brief instant again. That beautiful blinding smile that could radiate as much brightness as the sun could.

Then I heard another voice coming from behind us, cutting into the awestruck moment I was having with just staring at this male in front of me, "... Well, isn't this a surprise, finding you actually talking with a woman."

I turned when I heard those words laced through with a light and teasing tone as another equally handsome man was standing there with a bright smile, bright eyes watching us both before he chirped up again, "... Won't you introduce me?"

"I'm hardly in a position to be giving introductions... Excuse me," that was all he said before the first man stepped back into the ballroom, jolting me out of my momentary lull at looking at this new man... With such a bright and vibrant aura around him that matched the intenseness of his outfit's coat.

Giving a seemingly exaggerated sigh as the door was closed quietly again, he spoke up once more, "No surprise to find that he's as cold as ever... But are you not going in?"

I hurriedly stepped to the side, having now effectively snapped out of that daze to manage to apologize as my gaze slid down to the ground again, cursing myself mentally for making more stupid googley eyes at men that I didn't even know... Though there was a whole lot more of them that I've met today that I ever came face-to-face with before in my entire life. "Excuse me, I didn't mean to stand in your way."

Then the man easily took my hand in his, my eyes going wide again as the boldness of what he had just done, that I had no idea if he ever realized that he had such a aggressive move as he flashed me his brilliant smile again, "You needn't worry about anything like that, my dear."

My mind was still trying to ponder over what had just done to even consider what he just said... 'My dear'...? Me?

"Meeting you here like this must be some sort of fate. Won't you allow me to your into the party?" he continued on, his tone slightly teasing as he peered close into my blushing face much to my chagrin and even more embarrassment that made even more of a blush rise to my face.

And while I wanted to just run away and bury myself in a hole... I couldn't exactly do that with this man standing here waiting for me and another man inside waiting for me... It is a bit embarrassing to walk in by myself anyway... What would the downside to that? So taking in a deep breath to try and calm myself down, I replied in a quiet voice "... I would be honored, sir. Thank you."

And then I stepped into a world unlike any I had ever known before.

... I knew I wouldn't fit in here. Maybe I should just go home...

As I thought the words, I reached out for a glass of champagne off a nearby table. Nothing that alcohol couldn't damper than a bad mood...

At the same moment, a man standing nearby also reached for a glass and our hands met.

There was a pause of awkward silence between us as I dared not to lift my eyes to his face, him speaking first in a stiff tone, "... Sorry."

I simply shook my head as I quickly retracted my hand away from him and back to myself, stepping away slightly from the table as I muttered back an apology, "Oh, no... Please excuse me."

The man hardly seemed to notice me as he lifted the glass from the table and drained it dry, my eyes now slowly daring to gaze at him since he was being occupied. Then he took several more glasses and drained them as well in less than 30 seconds, no pauses at all between each glass.

I was so impressed by the sight of him drinking that many in such a short amount of time that it even gave him the time to acknowledge my existence, probably because I had been staring at him. And who wouldn't want to stare at him? Just from the side, he had a great profile... Handsome just like the other men, a sort of grand and regal feel to him from the perfect handsome from head to toe. "What? Have you never seen anyone drink before?" he suddenly asked, on the countless glass that I didn't even bother to count.

Shaking my head slightly to clear myself, I realized that he might have taken that for a 'no' and quickly tried to compensate with words that just couldn't seem to come out, "Er, no... I..."

Now that I actually looked at him instead of just being awestruck by him, I saw that he was wearing the same sort of outfit as the men I'd met before... And that deja vu feeling of seeing him somewhere came around too...

Then another man's voice interrupted us, "What nice manners. Instead of saying hello, you're here with the alcohol and the women."

The new man, with just a hint of innocent about his cherubic and perfectly adorable face, was also wearing the same sort of outfit as we both gazed at him with apparent surprise. Mine was more than the other man's of course, thinking that I must be really drunk by now to see that practically all the men that I've come up with today were just... Impossibly handsome and perfect men.

When he heard those words, the man drinking champagne spoke in a disgruntled tone as his eyes narrowed, "... What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing in particular."

The new man smiled and the other sighed as he muttered darkly to himself more than any of us around him, "I don't know how you put with being put on parade like this..."

Though nodding with sympathy to what he was saying, the younger looking man spoke up once again after having watched both of us (with me just looking back at them too), "We don't have a choice, do we? It's part of our civil duty and all that. So come, let's be going."

The drinker nodded reluctantly at those words before exhaling heavily and putting down the glass that he had in his hand. "... I know... Goodbye."

I didn't believe he actually spoke to me again before the glance came to me a moment later, falling into step with the other man. And then they were gone.

Leaving me there with my mind in shambles and trying to figure everything that had just happened, starting from this afternoon when I had just walked out, deciding to take a tour around the city before all of these... Men decided to show up into my life. I couldn't help but think again... And him, too... I feel sure I've seen him somewhere... Is it all in my head?

Just as the thought crossed my mind, a voice filled the room, booming from the speakers and drawing all the soft conversations to a halt, "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience! Please turn your eyes now to the balcony atop the spiral staircase!"

The confusion that I felt at the moment made me feel even more out of place as I looked about the excited crowd and everyone was staring up at the balcony. There was no other choice but for my eyes were also drawn up the stairs as well.

"The eyes of the world are all upon them; the future kings of the six greatest kingdoms on earth!"

I was still confused. So confused... And then the spotlight snapped on, illuminating the figures of six men.

Now my mind went blank except for just one thought rolling around in my head while I stared wide-eyed at the men's faces... The future kings...? Those guys are...?!

"First is Charles's own Prince Kim Jongin!"

At those words, one of the men started down the spiral staircase.

I had been fooling myself back then on the street... Telling myself that he couldn't possibly be the crown prince. But here he was... Stepping down the stairs and in the flesh. The same man that I had met this afternoon.

Then, another pair of footsteps could be heard coming down that staircase.

"Prince Byun Baekhyun of Philip!"

Another moment of realization smacked me then too, making me instantly recognize him as the man that I almost ran into outside the ballroom... The prince of Philip. I would have never known...

As my eyes followed him down to stand next to Prince Jongin, the next prince was also introduced.

"Prince Wu Yifan of Liberty!"

I felt slightly suffocated as I saw Prince Yifan coming down the stairs, that mild feeling of annoyance stirring in me again. I just... I couldn't believe that he was a prince, not with that attitude. But it made sense why he would know Prince Jongin...

Then another familiar face entered my line of sight.

"Prince Park Chanyeol of Altaria!"

Another familiar face... I had just been escorted into the ballroom by a future king, and managed to make myself look embarrassing too... How fortunate of me to be like this.

As I stood in continued shock, another man was being introduced to the audience and adding to the growing number of men standing there already.

"Prince Oh Sehun of Dres Van!"

A very smartly put-together man looked down upon the crowd, his sharp face impassive and wiped of all emotions as it clicked to me again too. The same man who drained all of those champagne glasses... But it made sense to me that he would be a prince, seeing that he had a slightly frightening air about him.

I couldn't hide myself being completely overwhelmed, even as the spotlight fell on the last prince.

"And Prince Lu Han of Oriens!"

How were they all princes?! All those men... Though it came to me that Prince Lu Han seemed younger than all the other princes... Even myself, probably.

At last all six men had made their way down the staircase and a great storm of applause naturally filled the room, the princes bowing left and right with all the grace that only men of their status could hold.

While I was there, unable to even move a single muscle as I could only think... How could it be that the six men I met today all turned out to be princes?

Things like this just don't happen. Right...?

After that it had come time for the receiving line, but I was unable to approach the princes. Thanks to myself since I continued to stand rooted there even when they had already moved. I probably wouldn't have wanted to really talk to them at all though, considering that I needed some air... Or at least some time to think.

Though I did want to go and thank Prince Jongin at least... Despite that wish, the space in front of the princes was filled by an army of women, most of them excited beyond belief as I thought I could see a couple about to faint just from being that close to the princes. There was no clear way to get in front of them as I simply decided to mill around for a bit... Maybe it might clear up after a couple of minutes.

Just then as I was trying to weave my way through the crowd in a daze, someone had shoved past me and sent knocking into another stranger before I could even stand myself again in those ridiculously high heels.

"Watch it!" I could hear this bedazzled and decked out rush of color fling at me as my mouth flew open and damn those heels again... I was flung forward with a nearly animalistic screech coming from my mouth, tumbling to the ground with my hands breaking my fall.

Silence fell around me for a moment. Then the heat in my face whooshed up again, everyone probably able to see that I was blushing even through the make-up. I had just embarrassed myself again... And it wasn't my fault this time! The indignation of the scene was overwhelmed by my publicity as I simply gritted my teeth and hurriedly tried to stand before...

The voice of an angel rang out softly in front of me, "... Are you all right?" A hand appeared before me, together with that voice. The voice I knew to be as... Prince Jongin now, smiling gently as he always had before and sending me into even more of a panic mode on the inside.

The shame that I was feeling at the moment was... Nearly outrageous, but at least I didn't allow for that to appear... Only the clumsiness and slowness that came when I was in this much pressure. "... Thank you," I barely managed to mutter out as I borrowed his hand and pulled myself up, avoiding his eyes and everyone else's the entire time.

There was another moment of awkward silence, the entire ballroom seeming to hold their breath for what either of us was about to say. So I decided to break it first... Get myself out of here after apologizing to him at least. With a slightly more braver voice, detecting a waver in my words, I tried to speak like a coherent person, "... So you... Are a prince. Please forgive me for all the thoughtless things I said..."

On the other hand, he seemed to be perfectly at ease as his eyes glimmered when he heard my words, shaking his head slightly before quietly replying back, "No, I am at fault to bringing you someplace like this without even giving you my name," the expression on his face saddened slightly as he added on softly, "I am the one who should be apologizing."

By now, the majority of the ballroom had heard what they needed to hear and the volume was slowly trickling up again, people turning their eyes and ears away from us. Much to my relief, of course as I finally exhaled out the breath that I had been unconsciously holding in. Another moment of silence passed, my eyes back to looking down at the floor as Prince Jongin looked at me with a warm and careful look in his eyes as he spoke, "I wasn't sure how such a last minute outfit would look, but... You look divine."

Oh, not again... Prince Jongin and his sweet words that immediately caused my face to flush a deep crimson red when I heard those words. Words eluded me once more as all I could mutter out (a very unladylike thing to be doing) lamely with what popped into mind first was, "That's not... Oh, but I do thank you for lending me this beautiful dress."

I must have still looked worried or scared that he might do or say something else as I could feel his warm gloved hand squeezed mine, still held in his. Then more sweet and endearing words... "A dress exists only to be worn. I am sure that this dress is glad that it could adorn someone as beautiful as yourself."

"I..." By this point, I had practically given up on how to 'cleverly' persuade him to stop showering me with all these beautiful compliments that I certainly did not deserve, my face now red as a lobster as I was determined to just tell him to stop... If he would stop talking first.

"But if you aren't careful, you may just find yourself the target of jealousy with beauty such as yours. I'm sure the lovely flowers decorating this ballroom all wish they were quite as captivating as the blood in your cheeks."

I was effectively stunned speechless again by this, unable to even muster up my voice to say what I had wanted to say before a voice spoke up with a interested tone from behind us, "I never would have expected you to know the lady, Prince Jongin."

When I finally glanced up, slowly feeling my face start to diffuse back into its usual color, I saw that it was Prince Chanyeol coming ever closer to us, who had escorted me into the ballroom with that same cheery grin that he had sported beforehand.

"Thanks for joining me before," he also added to me, gaze still flickering back and forth between Prince Jongin and myself.

I could only bow my head when he spoke to me, hand still in Prince Jongin's warm grasp as I finally managed to loosen my throat up to the point that I could talk again in a relatively normal voice, "No, thank you, sir, for escorting me!"

Prince Jongin was then now looking between us to see what was going on while Prince Chanyeol was doing the same thing, "What's this? You know Prince Chanyeol?"

Then both of their gazes fixed steadily on me, flustering me again slightly before I spilled out the explanation hurriedly, "I wouldn't say that I know him... We only just met at the entrance."

With my words, Prince Chanyeol nodded in approval and then flicked his gaze over with Prince Jongin with his head tilted slightly to a side in interest as he inquired him too, "That's right. You must know her better than I, don't you, Prince Jongin?"

Prince Jongin only smiled softly at this before he sighed quietly, "I'm afraid that I only just met her today myself," the glimmer in his eyes turning slightly mischievous now, "... But it is really thanks to Prince Yifan that I could invite her here today this evening."

Then Prince Yifan, who had been standing nearby, (like a creeper I could only think to myself as I continued to stand there and simply be happy to listen) cut into the conversation with his usual scowl marring his handsome face, "Thanks to me?"

Prince Jongin turned towards him, nodding ardently. "Yes, that's right. Don't you remember the woman whose clothes were ruined by your car kicking up mud this afternoon?"

Prince Yifan could only lift an elegantly sharp eyebrow up in question, then looked at my face as I was simply staring at him now. Just his gaze, challenging as it was, made me lock my own eyes on him... What I hadn't done with the other princes. But this particular Prince Yifan was getting on my nerves again...

"Oh... You're the one from the street. But why are you here?" the tone of his voice seemed genuinely surprised as I could see him glance me over before returning to the stares that we were giving each other, neither of us wanting to back down from each other. Screw the fact that he was a prince, I still wasn't going to let him get away with that...

Even the tone of my voice surprised myself as I replied to him in a more snappier manner than usual, "Prince Jongin kindly invited me here to apologize for the damage to my clothes."

An moment of silence, then Prince Yifan simply smirked slightly before he nonchalantly broke his gaze away from me to look somewhere else in the room as he easily replied back, "He invited you? ... Hm. Well, he did always like to dabble with commoners." Not even another glance my way before the prince just sauntered off somewhere, not even giving me a moment to reply.

Jerk. Stupid @ss... I could feel my own face form into a grimace as I had to resist the urge to flip the bird after the prince... Who I don't exactly think deserved to be a prince.

And maybe I would have... If it wasn't for the feeling that someone was watching me intently, making me freeze in spot and my eyes wildly cast around the room before I saw the culprit... Prince Baekhyun examining my face before he simply chuckled quietly and turned away.

Now I just wanted to facepalm and bury myself in a hole right then and there. Tripping and making a scene of myself that wasn't even my fault, that jerk riling me up to make me that pissed off... And then a prince catching me in the act of about to do some major offense. Great, just great to make relations with the princes this kind of behavior was.

At that moment, Prince Chanyeol began speaking with a smile as if he could feel the stormy mood rolling off of me as my eyes were back to glaring at the back of Prince Yifan's head as he towered over the rest of the crowd, "Prince Yifan seemed quite worked up. I wonder if he was trying to catch your eye?"

That was sufficient to break my concentration at that moment, freezing into place as I slowly turned my head towards him... Incredulous feeling shooting through me at his words as I lifted an eyebrow the same way Prince Yifan had done to me at him.

"Prince Chanyeol, you know that Prince Yifan would be angry if he heard you say something like that," Prince Jongin tried to reason with a mildly worried expression that was thrown off by the amused smile gracing his features.

Prince Chanyeol only shrugged and laughed quietly as his eyes began to slide my way, myself trying to keep an eye on Prince Yifan and concentrate on the men in front of me at the same time, "That is fun in its own way, too. But I'd rather just talk to you more... How about it?" The brilliant smile that he then cracked at me suddenly made myself feel very... Nervous, not in a bad way, but in a very excited way. Hey, but Prince Chanyeol was actually easier to talk to than most of the other princes here. Princes like Prince Yifan, Prince Sehun...

Then a low voice suddenly interrupted us, "Forgive me, but tonight's party is meant for the princes to mingle. Don't you think you ought to refrain from such private matters?"

I turned then to the sound of the voice as everyone did and Price Sehun was standing there, that impassive expression that I had seen on the staircase still lingering on his seemingly stony face. Well, speak of the devil...

For a moment though, his eyes lingered on me as I had my eyes narrowed at him in thought, about to say something back to what he had just pertained to. But then his gaze returned to the other princes, as if I was of no special note while I could feel a gentle squeeze of my tightened hand from Prince Jongin... As if he was warning me to not speak right now. So I managed to calm myself down and heed his warning...

"I guess I must apologize for disrupting the evening," he spoke quietly, the expression on his face holding that of a troubled boy as he turned towards Prince Sehun, who was still looking at him with as much emotion as a wall would, "But I was the one who invited the lady, so could you at least excuse me?" Prince Jongin then bowed his head politely, gently letting go of my hand as he now deemed it safe that I wouldn't be lashing out at Prince Sehun. Only made me wonder just how perceptive he really was...

Then Prince Sehun turned his back on him and sighed quietly, something that almost seemed like disdain rolling off his tall frame as he muttered lowly, "... If you're going to go that far, then I don't particularly care what you do. But I would like you to avoid causing any more disruptions."

And just as Prince Yifan had done... When he was done speaking, he headed back to the center of the dance floor, leaving me fuming quietly again at what he had said. First Prince Yifan and now this guy... I didn't know how much longer I could take before I exploded at both of them. I would have already, if Prince Jongin wasn't there to hold me back...

And I heard someone clucking at us nearby before that morphed into a quiet voice that floated closer to myself and the two now quiet princes, "What a bore..."

It didn't take long for me to look before I found Prince Lu Han, who had so recently been the last introduced and besides from Prince Baekhyun, the only one I didn't talk to much already. Seeing him up close though only confirmed my earlier impression that he was younger than I was as he was walking towards us with a mild smirk on his youthful yet adorable face.

Then it suddenly melted off his face as if he was struck with a thought just then, "... Oh. Excuse me. I've just always thought that such gatherings as this are quite tedious... But I should not be airing such private feelings in public. If you'll excuse me..." With that, Prince Lu Han simply tossed the words behind him as he walked past us, but no one was fooled by the fact that he had wanted to join us... Only to perhaps feel too awkward or 'unprincely' to do so?

As we watched him go with slightly amused expression on each of our faces, Prince Jongin laughed softly with a small grin on his face before he murmured to us in a low voice, "He never changes. Good little Prince Lu Han."

"But it's okay if he's a but prickly. It's quite cute on him," Prince Chanyeol decided to helpfully add, which I couldn't help but mentally disagree with... It would be more cute if he acted like his age perhaps? I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry if he was the youngest prince, having to be around with all these older princes who acted as what their ages were supposed to be.

As I harbored my own doubts in my mind, I could hear a pair of young men by the wall calling out both Prince Jongin's and Prince Chanyeol's name... Both of the princes' expressions growing clouded as I blinked to clear my thoughts and looked back and forth between both of them.

"Oh... I suppose we must be going," came the quiet and slightly reluctant voice of Prince Jongin, looking down at me with a mildly worried look that I wasn't afraid to gaze back up with, feeling a bit more... Used to how he would look at people, no longer so susceptible to melting down every time he looked at me.

Prince Chanyeol on the other hand, simply chuckled quietly and beamed at me as usual before he gave his own words, two rows of perfect white teeth flashing in front of my face, "Enjoy yourself, all right? I'll see you later."

To those two, I simply bowed slightly and gave back a reply, squashing down the nervousness to act as calm as possible... Not that it really mattered after both of them had seen just how idiotic I could be, "Y-yes. Thank you very much for keeping me company here, Prince Jongin and Prince Chanyeol..."

... Music slowly swelled and filled the room again from nowhere as they both gave me their farewells and filtered off into the crowd. In response to the music, couples started to form throughout the ballroom.

I could only wonder if there would be dancing... As there seemed to be a chance to dance with the princes, as well...

... Judging by the great hordes of women that were surrounding them once again.

I couldn't help but marvel again at the sheer... Desperation these women seem to have, almost clamoring over each other to get to the princes on the other side of the room while most of their 'dates' were just downing glasses of alcohol or chatting around.

So that left me... With no one to go with, and not exactly anyone I could talk to. Looks like it was high school dances all over again, time to hit up the food tables while everyone's dancing and make myself just feel better with food as I allowed my feet to glumly walk myself over to the tables ladled with food...

Not before someone interrupted me.

"... Might I have this dance?"

I turned in surprise and standing there before me was...

Prince Park Chanyeol (not written yet)

Prince Lu Han (not written yet)

Prince Byun Baekhyun (not written yet)

Prince Wu Yifan (not written yet)

Prince Kim Jongin (not written yet)

Prince Oh Sehun (work in progress - 3 chapters)

 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________
 
authors' note » Finally... I finished it. OTL
​But yes, tell me what you think of this, and... I would really appreciate of some of you people could give me an idea of who to write first? :D
As always, comments, subscribing and upvoting are always loved! I'll have the first prince story up soon!
ALSO: I would really recommend you to subscribe to me as the author since... That way, you can know when the next prince story is up! (/slapped for shameless self-advertisement)
Poster credit goes to this lovely shop~