final;

Skin like glass

 

final;

 

He was born with skin like glass.

Baekhyun sat there before me and gives himself to me to become my canvas. My fingers brushed the smooth contours of his face and his eyes fluttered shut at my touch. If you didn't know him, you'd think he was asleep.

But I knew him.

 

We met when I was promoted to be his stylist and I was enthralled by his aura. He immediately stood out from among the other models in his group. He wasn’t even particularly good-looking, but I knew he had the face created to be illustrated by others. It was as if he was once a piece of china or a statue.

Proud, beautiful and delicate.

Sitting across him, I picked up my tools and paused just to admire him. Colored powder had already been scattered across the plains of his perfect complexion like floating dust in an attic.

I didn’t even want to touch him at first because people like me broke nice things by accident and were left to live with a guilt that we shouldn’t have to carry. He was the fine glass figurine that I could only stare at through a cabinet window with a distant admiration, for such faultless things shouldn’t be tainted with hands as dirty as mine.

So with hands trembling, I tended the flower that bloomed with every flick and brush.

 

I didn’t even know how I knew him.

It made decorating, improving him easier because I knew the dips and contours of his everything without explanation.

But I couldn’t stop or deny the growing fascination and attraction towards him. I might have continued to play the part of doting stylist if not for that one night when we walked home together after a late-night photoshoot. When I turned to say good-bye, there was unmistakable longing was reflected back to me in his clear eyes.

We barely making it back to the apartment and we fell together.

 

I woke to the sound of a creaking bed and him screaming.

I didn’t understand what was going on. Then our eyes met and I looked—really looked—at him. Those tear-filled eyes like marbles that shone with the light of dawn. All the reds and golds like sunset… Like…

Then I knew. I don’t know how or why, but I knew. He was the first doll I had made in my youth. It all made sense and yet made no sense at all. My confusion stole my reason and the fear stole my voice. But Baekhyun, quaking all over, spoke.

It was a promise to a wandering phantom, attracted by his loneliness, he told me. He traded for a human spirit and body with the vow to never fall in love.

But now it was all over.

Something inside me cracked and shattered. Coldness seeped into me until all the fluidity was gone and I couldn’t hear his screaming cries.

All I knew was the truth of it all breaking us.

 

Darkness threatened at the edge of my vision and my eyelids fluttered shut. If you didn’t know our story, you’d think I was falling asleep.

But we both knew.

 

 

In a heartless way, I am happy that I died first. Then I wouldn’t have seen Baekhyun, on his sleepless-night wanderings after my funeral, get hit by that car that broke him into pieces.

The secret was that he had stepped out in front of it before he reverted.

Because he was born with skin like glass.

And he was broken before it hit him.

 


A/N: Yeah, I really have nothing to say for myself except I'M SO SORRY FOR THIS WORD VOMIT

To clarify, Baekyun was the doll, he made a promise to never fall in love if he could get a human body. But he reuinted with Kyungsoo again and they fell in love. And they both paid the price.

Yup. I've really been angsty lately, haven't I?

Thank you so much for all 21 of you who subbed and 4 of you who upvoted! I hope I didn't disappoint you~ Laterz, lovelies

/maxsteps away