prologue; parting

Skin like glass

 

 

prologue; parting

 

In the dying light that filtered in through the window, dust particles swirled in slow motion the attic. Rubbing his eyes, Kyungsoo finished writing in sharpie on the cardboard box

The last and only

Then he picks up the object beside him, fighting the knot in his throat. It was a male doll with hair like fire.

It was his most perfect creation. Ever since he started doll-making under his father, it was clear he had natural talent. Every piece at his hands seemed to smile and breathe.

But every doll that passed through his hands never was what he thought “the abolsolute perfection.” The masterpiece that he had been born to create.

Then this last doll was born.  It had taken years. He knew the moment he set the eyes in – the ceremonial last step – that it was it. His absolute perfection.

But it was never meant to be.

He roughly wiped away the tears from his eyes. He wasn’t just putting away the figurine, but all his dreams of being a doll-maker. His parents were clear in their disapproval. They wanted him to attend college and leave a much more prosperous life than they had.

They had fought long and bitterly, but in the end, they promised to leave his favorite alone if he would pursue something else.

So this was goodbye.

With one last brush against the porcelain skin, Kyungsoo bit back the sob that echoed in the space. Then he stood up and disappeared through the portal, leaving behind his memories of the doll and his love with it in its case.

He never saw the way the glinting glass of the doll’s eyes glowed in the light of the setting sun and, for an instant, it seemed like it were tears in their depths.