o n e

Round and Round

1

3 years ago


The school held an annual Sports Fest just like any other school would--a sign of competitiveness and well-roundedness as they say.

Our class and my friends were all participating in the week long event, either out on the field or on the bleachers.

My group of friends were mostly on the bleachers.

Yesterday, all the students were forced to attend the event launching and watch with proud eyes and spirit for the lighting of the torch in the gym, signifying the initiation of the event. Sports Fest held for us a week of different activities aside from just watching teams battling it out on the field. There were activities like Sports Clinic and Workshop, briefing students what sports fit who and inviting them to try them out that would enhance their individuality in the community of achievers.

There were also board game competitions and a variety of booths set up along the school open grounds.

I wondered why Suzy, who is known for her skills and agility in table tennis, chose to sit back with my friends and enjoy the show instead.

I also wondered about my friends: how they're enjoying watching the events so much they don't even remember to beep me up.

This was the second day of the week long event and all the sports played on field and court were on schedule today.

Who was I kidding? I'm pretending to be sick so that I could avoid the week's span of the Sports Fest, where Kai is playing for the soccer team, which I'll be forced to watch because all my friends are crazy for soccer. I'm as crazy about soccer as they are, but...things have to be avoided for now.

I hated the sense Amber made when I remembered her response to my excuse of a text message that says:

i'm staying in for two days or so. rly sick rn.

It was definitely freedom week from all our studies and all the tests being prepared for the finals which will be postponed for two weeks because of this unfortunate Sports Fest all the students and teachered crammed to prepare, and here I am alone in my room, doing some advance study for Chemistry.

Amber - Received - 10:52AM

Why are you sick? You can't be! It's soccer we're talking about!

I replied with:

that's the point, amb.

 

Amber - Received 10:56AM

I get it. Sheesh. Why didn't you say you were lovesick?

Amber, this is why I hate you sometimes. Why can't you at least pretend to comfort me instead?

The degree of my anger goes in three different levels for three different reasons.

Firstly at this moment, the degree of annoyance I have with Amber is a little tolerable, but I am certainly frustrated with her unsympathetic and blunt response.

It goes a notch higher when I didn't reply to her message yet and she just had to add a more irritating reply.

Amber - Received 10:57AM

Suit yourself. Your choice for missing out on the fun.

I am completely done with her, for now.

Secondly, I am so mad at that sometimes-insensitive-jerk of a boyfriend Kim Jongin is.

One moment he's all sweet and caring, being a sensible gentleman a boyfriend should be; the next, he's all pissed off for no rearson and vents it out on me in a ridiculously indirect way without even telling me what the reason behind it is.

It was just four days ago, on a Friday, when I waited for him by the bleachers in the soccer field. He told me to wait up for him so he could take me home after his soccer practice ends. My friends around this time went ahead to enjoy a weekend starter with a dinner to a KTV Grill--kareoke and all the food galore. I wanted to join them so bad but I couldn't say no to Kai. It was really rare of him to tell me to wait up for him.

The coach blew on his whistle and told the team to take a five. Kai jogged to my side of the bleachers and I jogged down from the top bench to catch him in his 5 minute break to cheer him up. I hope he hasn't had enough compliments for today because I'd like to brighten him up with an encouragement at least.

I kept a minimal distance of around three feet away as I stopped in front of him; jersey, hair, and skin drenched in sweat.

"Kai! That was a rad kick you did! You sure are ready for the game, I'll be cheering on my loudest for you!" Even if he looked moist, he looked rather naturally dashing up front. I grinned in giddiness because it came off sounding cheesy.

"Yeah, we are and no you won't." He scoffed and rolled his eyes at me. That got rid of the grin on my face.

My brows furrowed as I watched him pick up his water bottle up 'til the contents were emptied.

He was probably being sarcastic. I bear with this attitude of his most of the time because it usually comes out playful anyway.

"What?" It was the only word I could muster. What do you mean by that? It could be a joke for all I know.

"I'm not kidding. You can't do that. Do you think you can even hear yourself from the crowd?"

I realized this time he wasn't joking at all and his eyes darted everywhere, an anxious look I wanted to be able to decipher.

"Jongin, is something--" I had to ask. Something must be wrong and he can't just push me away like this, again.

"Just. Don't." He seethed and I realized he was already firmly pushing my hand away from reaching out to him.

I felt embarassed and stupid. Is this what I waited for here? Couldn't he just have waited until he took me home to do this?

I just wanted to care for him like he does but...does he care for me like I think he would?

That's a different question altogether.

My face fell, I'm sure of that, when he walked away without an explanation.

Not again.

There were a couple of witnesses. A few meters away, two members of his team were looking at me with curiosity and pity. I smiled awkwardly at them, trying my best to hold back the tears. They returned the gesture and the whisle blew again signifying their return to the field.

I couldn't stand watching him, not like this. I walked away from the field then, without so much as a glance at the practice again.

I swore I wouldn't watch his practices again and I am sure as hell wouldn't watch the competition, not when he was an MVP.

It was infuriating, being embarassed and hurt at the same time. Why do I feel like we fight more than we love each other?

Lastly, I am most angry at myself for the choices I made. For putting this on myself.

Should I stop being his girlfriend and break up with him? Should I stop hanging out with my friends who don't seem to care as much?

Should I just stop?!

I furiously hurl the Chemistry textbook under my bed when the last question rang in my head. I was trying to crack my skull for an answer, smacking my head on the computer desk repeatedly.

Facebook's notable message pop-up tone alerted me out of my pity party and I check to see who it was.

I had to do a double take on the messenger. Was I logged on another account? Sulli was here last night with me, so she mustn't have logged off.

To my surprise, I see my profile picture and my name on the upper right of the page.

I could be hallucinating.

The name Park Chan Yeol, with a blue highlight streak and a mini red bubble with a number "1" written on it, was what I was staring at right now in disbelief.

How in the world? The number one changed to "2". This was getting weird so I have to click on it.

It reads:

Hey! - Sent 4:00PM

Where are you? - Sent 4:02PM

Maybe my name was near another person's name so he must have accidentally clicked mine instead. He must have mistaken me for someone else.

I go along with it though, trying not to sound awkward.

Hey there! I'm in my house, why? - Delivered 4:04PM

I minimized his tab and begin to scroll down my news feed seeing recent photos of what's happening in school.

Most of the photos were of the soccer game and I can't scoff enough to have my feed flooded with different angles of zoomed in and blurred pictures of Kai wiping his face with his jersey, sweaty abs showing.

I ignore the trend the school population was posting as if it wasn't annoying already and I sometimes wonder why I feel insecure with all the girls pining after him.

I didn't want to be mistaken for being one of them just because I became his girlfriend in less than three months that we've gotten to know each other.

It was all surreal--how our friendship escalated quickly into something more than I never would have imagined possible.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted after five minutes when I received another message from Chanyeol.

I think of his response for a moment. He could already be saying 'sorry, i clicked the wrong person. oops.'

But when I maximized his tab again, my eyes probably bulged out from its sockets.

Oh, I see. Aren't you gonna watch Kai? - Sent 4:08PM

This is pure bewilderment! Of all people, why would Park Chanyeol pry into our relationship? I wouldn't expect for him to give a damn about this at all!

What do I say to this?

I go forth with fibbing. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Uhm no? I don't really like soccer. - Delivered 4:09PM (Hell, I love soccer!)

 

Really? That's silly. He told me you really like soccer. - Sent 4:10PM

What the?! How could he possibly know about this?!

Anyway, how was prom with Kai? How are you and Kai? ʘ‿ʘ - Sent 4:11PM

This is crazy! He even added an emoji! Something is up with this guy. I won't answer his second question but I smile at the memory of prom though. It was the first time people must have seen us in public interaction together. The attention we both received while we swayed each other gently was uncomfortable, but I reveled in the warmth of his arms wrapped around my waist, and the mirthful aura he had as he chuckled in my ears. He was so beautiful that night. And always will be. I sigh. I couldn't give this kind of answer to a stranger thus, I settle with a simple answer.

Fun, I guess? How are you and Sulli at prom? - Delivered 4:13PM

I had to retort like this. I'm sorry but I'm not sorry Chanyeol, you started it.

Oh! Sulli! We had fun. She's a great dancer! - Sent 4:17PM

Like I don't know that already, I smirked, typing up another response. This was getting interesting, I'm so into this right now.

Great! How are you and Nana at prom? (´◉◞౪◟◉) - Delivered 4:18PM

Everyone in our year knows about Chanyeol and Nana, though they're not really an item yet. I'm glad I know social basics like this, I could definitely use them in this fashion one of these days.

Had fun with all of them! - Sent 4:20PM (Vague!)

Haha, okay then ^^ - Deliivered 4:22PM

See you around then - Sent 4:25PM

Yeah, see you around - Delivered 4:26PM

The conversation ended there. That was really strange. It was definitely the weirdest encounter in my life just yet.

I logged off my account and turned off the computer and lay back on my bed thinking about this crazy exchange of short anwers and questions and remembering Kai again.

Will I settle things with him so soon? I don't want to face him just yet, not after what he did, but his anxious eyes when he said that...

I wanted to figure that out soon, too.

Why Chanyeol decided to chat me up is something I won't understand.

Why now? Why not in the times we all sat down to meet for Artist Forum? Why not when I used to have a crush on him? Why would he notice me now?

I stopped pining for a mere friendship with him because I thought it wasn't possible.

Now that there's this possibility of a friendship with him, what's next?

I didn't ask for this now. Not when Kai...oh.

Chanyeol and Kai are friends, but...he couldn't have possibly talked about me, could he?



I know. This kinda . It's been a looooooong time since I've written anything, I hope nothing was out of place just yet. More to be unravelled when the next chapters come out ><

The story had to start this way (like in the middle of everything) because it would take a long time to finish this if I started from the very beginning of everything. Some details are already laid out, I hope you take note of those: the relation between Kai and Chanyeol and who has anything to do with who? ;)