A Deal with Death || Kris

The Twilight Zone {EXO Oneshot Collection}

(Slight Taoris— who am I kidding, lots of Taoris)

 

Kris Wu was possibly the greatest salesman in all of Asia. He knew how to sell anything to anyone. And with a high position in the company he worked at, Kris was very successful. He also seemed to wear a cold, straight face at all times, a face that, not even his parents could break.

Except one other person. 

Kris swung his long legs out of his Mercedes-Benz, stepping out of his car. Making sure he locked his car, Kris walked towards the Seoul National University Hospital. He made his way towards the elevator, his finger pushing the 4th floor button. Exiting the elevator, Kris found room #205. He twisted the door handle, craning his head inside the room. "Tao?" he called softly. "Taozi?" He soon spotted the said boy in his hospital bed, as always. Tao's eyes lit when he spotted his gege. Kris sent him a rare smile, striding towards the bedside. 

"Kris gege," Tao breathed, a bright smile spread on his lips. 

Kris had first met Tao when he heard he was the son of the CEO of Huang Corp., a company his company planned on buying out. At first he visited Tao as a trick to persaude Tao's father but soon, Kris became incredibly close to Tao. He then began to visit Tao whenever he could compared to the weekly visits he used to take. He and Tao would spend hours together. All of Tao's nurses knew Kris by now, and were always happy to see Kris whenever he visited Tao. The nurses had told him that Tao always seemed much happier when he was around. Tao had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma seven months ago. The cancer had taken a hefty toll on the young boy. He was Martial Artist, and had practiced since a young age. Until he had met Kris, Tao had been quiet, cold, and unresponsive. He would answer the nurses with short sentences, his gaze never leaving the window. 

"I talked to the doctor the other day.." Tao began, his gaze on his lap as he played with Kris' fingers. Kris hummed in response, urging him to continue. "..And my surgery's tomorrow—" Tao paused, before continuing, "They're going to amputate my left leg." A stiff silence fell upon the two, Tao kept his gaze on his lap, shifting uneasily in his hospital sheets. Kris reached his hand out to Tao's intertwining his fingers with the younger's. Using his other hand to gently cup his fingers around Tao's chin, Kris locked eyes with Tao. 

"It's gonna be okay, Taozi." Kris soothed, tracing circles with his thumb on the back of Tao's hand. He sent Tao a soft, affectionate smile. "You'll go through the surgery perfectly fine."

"But—"

Kris cut Tao off, "And I'll be there with you during rehabilitation, everystep of the way." Tao closed his mouth, his lips forming into a smile as well. 

"Thanks, Gege." 

The two simply stared at each other the rest of that evening. Lost in the beauty of each other's eyes. 

Warm. Affectionate. Loving.


"Sir, I strongly advise you to not skip all of your meetings for today, for the sake of this mere boy—" Tiffany, Kris' secretary, blinked as Kris whipped around, towering over her. 

"I'm skipping my meetings, and that is final." Kris concluded, turning back around towards the elevator. 

"But, Sir—" she sighed as the elevator doors shut, as Kris descended onto the main floor. Kris sighed, briefly closing his eyes as they faint feeling of falling tickled his stomach. 

Today was Tao's surgery.

Taking a deep breath, Kris stepped out of the elevator, towards his car. The drive towards the hospital seemed to be an eternity as doubtful thoughts flooded into Kris' mind.

What if the surgery isn't succesful?

What if the osteosarcoma spreads to more than just his knee? 

What if Tao..never makes it?

The frightening image of Tao's name engraved on a tombstone flashed into his mind as he nearly swerved into another car. Shaking his head of such thoughts, Kris pulled into the parking lot of the hospital. Making his way towards Tao's room, Kris rubbed his sweaty hands on his pants, nervous. He entered the room to be greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Huang. The greeted each other, before Kris turned his attention to Tao. 

Tao did not look well.

His fingers wrapped anxiously against the hospital sheets, as a bead of sweat dripped down the side of his forehead. 

Tao was scared too. 

Kris kneeled by the hospital bed, taking one of Tao's hand. "Are you alright?" he asked. Tao shook his head, his eyes at the point of tears. Kris took Tao's hands, brushing his lips against his knuckles. He looked up at Tao's dark eyes. "You'll be fine, okay Taozi?" he soothed. As if on queue the doctors and several nurses entered the room. Tao's grip on Kris' hand tightened at the sight of them, until Kris soothed him, planting a soft kiss against the younger boy's temple. "You'll be fine," he whispered. 

As the nurses took Tao away to the operating room, his gaze never left Kris.


 

Kris waited anxiously in the lobby. Mr. and Mrs. Huang had returned to their company due to some "issues". His head buried in his hands, his foot tapping against the floor. He stared at the glass window before him, the surgeons working diligantly. Kris couldn't spot Tao on the operating table among them. He bit his lip nervously. 

Seconds dripped by like minutes.

Minutes trudged in hours.

Hours soon felt like days.

Kris' phone blared with phone calls from his secretary until it soon ran out of battery.Kris was alone in the lobby. The window from outside lit up from the bustling city before him. He glanced at the glass window to the operating room. He ruffled his hair, rubbing his tired eyes. 

Was Tao okay?

Kris checked his watch, 11:32. He sighed again, rubbing his aching head. 

"He's not gonna make it." Kris whipped his head up, to be greeted by man around his age. His skin was a deathly pale, he wore a slim-fitting suit, though the tie was loose, the first two or three buttons undone, over his suit the man wore a tan trench coat. His hair was a dark, nearly-brown, red and was whispy and wind-blown. Kris furrowed his eyebrows. 

Wasn't he alone in the lobby only minutes ago? 

"I told you," the man repeated, leaning towards Kris, "He's not gonna make it." Kris tiltled his head. 

"Who?" he asked. The man in the suit nodded his head towards the glass window, Tao's operation room. Kris froze for a moment. "How would you know?" he asked, his tone had changed into that of a vicious one. 

"That's the reason I'm here," he shrugged. 

"What?"

"I'm here to collect his soul." He stated non-chalantly. 

"Who are you?"

"You can call me.." he tapped his chin in thought, "Suho." Kris furrowed his eyebrows. Did this guy just tell him to call him 'guardian'? Suho glanced at Kris. "You don't believe me, do you?" he asked. Kris shook his head. 

"Obviously not." 

He laughed. Laughed. "Okay then, you're wasting your time doing this but, how about you ask that lady at the front desk, how I got in here?" Kris sent Suho a strange look, but nonetheless stood up, striding towards the front desk. 

"Uhm, excuse me, this is an odd question but, how did that man get in here?" Kris pointed to Suho, who sat in the lobby. The woman sent Kris a confused look. 

"What man?" she asked. 

"You mean.." he glanced at Suho, he had an amused look on his face. "You can't see him?"

"Sir, there's nothing there. You've been the only one in that lobby for hours." Kris shook his head, striding towards Suho. He reached out to grab his collar when Suho's image shimmered, like water. Kris pulled his hand back, noticing it was wet. "Who the are you?" he asked through grit teeth. 

"I'm Suho, and I was sent here to collect Huang Zi Tao's soul, in exactly.." Suho checked his watch, "Fifteen minutes." Kris shook his head. 

"I'm not letting you do that."

"And how do you plan to stop me, when you can't even touch me?" he asked. Kris furrowed his eyebrows. Suho had a point. What exactly did Kris have against him? The lines on his forehead deepend as he put his mind to work. He tapped his fingers against the arm rest of his chair before Kris smirked. 

"Let me propose to you, Suho," Kris' voice had changed into a sickly sweet tone, one he only uses for work, "A deal." Suho furrowed his eyebrows. 

"A deal?" he echoed. Kris nodded. "Well you have ten minutes to tell me about this deal." 

Perfect. Ten minutes was all Kris needed. 

"I assume you have a boss? Someone who assigns you souls to collect?" Suho nodded. "A quota?" Suho nodded, once more. 

This couldn't be any easier. 

"Then, technically if you meet this quota, it doesn't matter who's soul you take?" Suho nodded, again. 

Kris smirked. 

"Then, in exchange for Tao's soul, I'll give you mine." Suho's eyes widened.

"You'd do that?" he asked. Kris nodded. "What will you do with Zi Tao's soul?"

"I want you to give it back to him, and I want you to guarentee, Tao's lives a full, healthy life." Suho tapped his chin, thinking. 

"And why would I want your soul?" he asked. 

Kris smirked, un-phased by the question. "Do you know who I am? I am the Kris Wu of Xi Corp. Greatest salesman in all of Asia, possibly the world." The phrase had lit a fire in Suho's eyes, as he smirked. Suho stretched his hand out.

"Deal."


 

To my Taozi, 

I'm sorry. Gege had to go sooner than he planned. I'm glad the surgery went well, and now you'll be on the long, steady road to recoverery. Take care of yourself, okay? Remember to eat alot, sleep well, and don't eat too much cake. I hope you live a long, and meaningful life. I hope when we meet again you'll still remember your favorite gege. I love you. 

                                                 I'll miss you,

                                                           Your Kris.