Ample Time || Suho

The Twilight Zone {EXO Oneshot Collection}

Kim Joonmyun loved to read. He always had something- whether it be a newspaper, novel, or biography- tucked underneath his arm. Joonmyun had these large, thick glasses that aided his poor eyesight. Everyday, he’d sit in the back of his classroom, reading. Not only was he the center of ridicule by his peers for his “nerdy” appearance, he was also scolded by his parents and teachers.

“You’re always keeping your head down, buried in those books, Joonmyun! You need to take a break from them and make some friends for a change!” his parents would scold him daily at the dinner table. Though Joonmyun wouldn’t be listening, for a small book would be tucked in his lap, open.

“Joonmyun, I’d appreciate it if you would at least try to listen my class.” His teachers would scold but, Joonmyun would be elsewhere whether it be London,1800’s or India, 1979.

Joonmyun had no friends, he ate lunch in the library but, he never complained. He liked the library.

Sometimes though, Yann Martel and C.S. Lewis just wasn’t enough to ease his pain. Joonmyun tried to block out the cruel words and insults, trying his best to focus on his novel but, the cruel words and insults crawled into his ear like a parasite. They would echo in his head for days. Joonmyun tried his best not to believe what they told him.

They’re just being immature. Joonmyun would chant to himself. Immature.

Above everything, Joonmyun wanted to be alone. Alone with his books, and with time.

Time. That’s what Joonmyun wanted. 


The class was given a ten-minute break before the next teacher came, Joonmyun stood up from his seat to use the bathroom, leaving his book on his desk. He came back into the classroom sliding into his desk. He noticed a cluster of students, whispering and snickering amongst themselves, pointing at him every now and then. Joonmyun reached across his desk to grab his book when a voice spoke up. 

"Hey, Joonmyun." Joonmyun looked up. Kim Jongdae, a well-known student at his school,sent Joonmyun a charming smile. "Could you read me some of that? It looks really interesting." he told him, pointing to the book.

"This?" Jongdae nodded. A smile grew on his face. "Of course! It's this beautiful book written by Haruki Mirakami-" Joonmyun froze as he cracked open his book. He stared for a moment. The words could barely be read, for they were covered with nasty, dark lines written in permanent marker. He furrowed his eyebrows, flipping through the book. Each page, scribbled with horrible squiggles. In the last page, Joonmyun found a message. 'Have fun reading, Joonmyun!' Joonmyun glanced up at Jongdae who's lips curled up into that devious smile of his. "Did you do this..Jongdae?" Joonmyun asked slowly. 

"Hey, it's for your own good." Jongdae glanced back towards his group friends who began to howl with laughter. "Now, you can actually try to make friends." Jongdae sent Joonmyun a mocking wink before strutting back to his cluster of friends. Joonmyun bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from tears spilling  over. 

They're just being immature, Joonmyun. 


The pounding footsteps of students went unheard, as Joonmyun sat in the school basement, reading. He had come across the basement, a week after the incident with Jongdae and his book. Though the book was useless, Joonmyun couldn't bare throwing it away instead, he kept the book, even giving it a special place on his bookshelf. Joonmyun, glided through each page in bliss, unaware of the panicking students above. 

The lights flickered for a few moments but, Joonmyun thought nothing of it, continuing on through his book. 

Suddenly the room went black, and Joonmyun hit floor. His head pounded against ground, as Joonmyun's eyelids fell heavy.

Darkness.


Joonmyun pryed his eyes open to be greeted by a pounding headache. An annoying ring echoed in his ears. Glasses. Joonmyun felt around, desperately searching for the pair of glasses. He bit his lip. Joonmyun would be blind without his glasses. He in air when he feared he had lost his glasses. Until, a triumphant grin spread across his face. Joonmyun grabbed his glasses, fixating them on his face. He blinked, and looking at his surroundings. The basement looked the same, despite the chair he sat on earlier which had been turned over, as his book. Joonmyun reached out for his book, clutching it to his chest.

Something was off. The air was eerily quiet. 

Pushing up his glasses, Joonmyun climbed up the stairs of the school basement. His eyes widened at what he saw. 

The school was completely empty. Doors were off the hinges and a large gaping hole was found towards the entrance of the school. "Hello?" Joonmyun called. He wandered around the school, looking for someone, to be greeted by not a single soul. Joonmyun ran out of the school to find his homecity, Seoul, desolate and empty. Joonmyun, ran home. He passed by smoking buildings and vandalised homes, but didn't see anyone, he couldn't hear anyone. Where could the entire population of the city of Seoul gone? Panting, Joonmyun fumbled with his keys, opening the door. "Umma? Appa?" he called. Again, Joonmyun was greeted with silence. Leaving his home, Joonmyun began to wander Seoul. 

Everyone was gone.

Joonmyun was alone. 

It wasn't until later that Joonmyun realized how hungry he was. How long had he been unconscious? Joonmyun peeked into a corner conveince store- one much like the one he worked at despite the fact the cashier was on fire. It wouldn't be stealing if I'm the only one here...He walked through the aisles of the store, picking up snacks for himself, placing them into his basket. Once he was finished he began to walk home. Maybe I'll find people tomorrow..Joonmyun opened his door, laying the basket of snacks on the counter.

After reading a few chapters of his book, Joonmyun drifted off to sleep, alone. 

Joonmyun woke up that morning with a slight jolt. He blinked, reaching for his glasses. 

He was alone. 

After eating breakfeast- which consisted of the snacks he "bought" the previous day- Joonmyun decided to wander Seoul. Slipping on his shoes and tucking a book underneath his arm, Joonmyun left his home. It didn't take very long before Joonmyun's legs began to ache, and he soon became incredibly bored. Taking a seat at the foot of the stairs of an unrecognizable building, Joonmyun took his book out, cracking it open. 

The wind began to blow and a thin pamphlet flew against Joonmyun's leg. 'Get a library card today!' the front read. His eyes widened. Library? Joonmyun slowly turned around, walking into the building that looked as if it was about to collapse. "It's a library." Joonmyun breathed before a large grin, spread across his face. He then hurriedly walked up the stairs to the library when he was soon greeted by many, many books. Books lined the walls and continued on in individual shelves. Joonmyun nearly sprinted towards his favorite section, 'Fiction'. He began to skim through each aisle picking up books that interested him, his grin spreading at every book added to his pile. Once he was finished, Joonmyun found a comfortable leather chair to sit in, he grabbed a book from the top of the stack opening the book, his eyes gliding through every word.

It had become quite late, as Joonmyun realized he had been in the library for a fifteen hours. He decided he should return home, promising himself to return the following day.

And return, Joonmyun did.  Along with the following day, the day following after that, and so on. 

This is what Joonmyun wanted. 

Time.

He finally had time to read, read all the books he could imagine. 

To Joonmyun, it seemed as though he had all the time in the world. 

Days, weeks, months, possibly years passed but, Joonmyun never noticed. To him they were mere hours. 

Joonmyun walked up the stairs towards his beloved library. He was reading this lovely novel by John Green and he was excited, it seemed he would finish the novel. The weather was beautiful today, the sun shined and a soft cool breeze swirled around him. Joonmyun decided he would read outside today, on the stairs of the library. After grabbing the book, and several other books just in case he finished sooner, Joonmyun sat himself down on the stairs. Pushing up his glasses, Joonmyun began to read. 

The book was beautiful, as Joonmyun found his eyes watering. Tears clouded his vision and landed on the lens of his glasses. Shaking his head, Joonmyun slipped off his glasses, grabbing a part of his sweater to clean them. Joonmyun awkwardly placed the book, tense hopong he wouldn't lose his place. A breeze flew past him and the book shut closed. Joonmyun fumbled trying to reach out for the book, dropping his glasses.

Joonmyun,could see neither his glasses or his book. He fumbled around the stairs on all fours when he heard a heart-dropping crack. Joonmyun tensed. He felt around his knees- where he had heard crack- until he found his glasses. The lens had been completely shattered. And the plastic frames were all that remained beside the small clusters of glass. 

"No." Joonmyun whispered. "It's not fair..I had time." He tried to choke back his sob as more tears fought for room in his blurry vision. "It's not fair!" he began to scream. "I had time! I had time!" Joonmyun shouted repeatedly before his voice returned to a shaky whisper. 

"I had time.."

 

{Kim Joonmyun, stuck in the Twilight Zone.}