Tweedling Around

Tweedling Around

 

          As he looks through the shelves trying to look for a good read, all Jongdae could do was stare at him. Xiumin bending and staring at the bindings of books. That man has very many expressions. And it varies from different ones in just a few seconds. Jongdae grins and remembers when they fell for one another. 

  

 

       It was his first day of being Tweedledee. To be honest, he doesn't really know why there is such a role of Tweedledee. The king just told him to have fun in life and walked away. All he could do was shrug and thought, wow, maybe this is why people want to have a role in Wonderland. Before becoming Tweedledee, this man was known as Kim Jongdae. However, he would glare at you and yell, “Call me Chen! It sounds nicer!” And so, everyone did and they still do.  

 

 

       He was on his way back from getting a shipment of new books for the library. It was an odd moment. At one moment, he was just carrying books to the library. And the next second, there was a rush of wind flying towards him. It was a blurry image and someone was running quite rapidly. Then in that moment, Jongdae was knocked over and fell to the dirty ground. Books went askew and flew out of his hands. However, that was not important.  

   

 

       What was important was the fact the someone's lips were on top of his. His eyes widened and he couldn't breathe. All he did was stare and felt his clock accelerating to the max. When his mind finally stabled, he pushed the person away and scrambled to his feet. Jongdae's fingers went to his lips and blood rushed to his cheeks.  

  

 

       He stared out to the person and all he could think of was steamed buns. The man in front of him stared back and smiled. Then the unexpected happened, he bellowed, “I LOVE YOU.” Once again, Jongdae's eyes widened and his jaw hit the ground. He was feeling quite faint as too many things were happening around him. He heard giggles and felt stares from faceless citizens. All he did was stare and blush at the odd man. Jongdae has never received a love confession before and therefore, did not know how to respond it. So he picked up his books and ran. Ran for his life and his library.   

  

 

       Jongdae panted as he reached the doors of his haven. He would rather hide in books then face the outside world. For all he know, books were his life and the outside world was just too scary to handle. However, every once in a while, his mind went back to the odd steamed bun faced man.   

  

 

       He stared at Minseok who was still looking for a good book, “What on earth were you thinking when you yelled I love you to me?” Minseok tilted his head and his eyes fixating on a thick book. He then shrugged and pretended to groom his invisible beard. “I don't know. It was just love at first sight.” Jongdae then leaned against a bookshelf and thought about all the other moments he and Minseok had.   

  

 

       His head was against the table as books surrounded him. The library may have been quiet and empty that day. However, Jongdae couldn't concentrate. According to him, there was just too much noise.   

    

 

       Then, the large window of the library that was close to Jongdae's table flew right open. He sat up straight and looked out the window. There was the man grinning like a fool once again. “Where you here?” Jongdae asked with curiosity. It felt too suspicious for this man to randomly be here.   

  

 

         The response, however, was nothing he expected. “Because I am interested in you.” The man tilted his head making him look cute. A dark shade of red was splattered across his face, “Yeah I like you.” This time it was Jongdae's turn to blush. A second confession from the same man. He had no idea as to how to respond to that.  

  

 

        Jongdae looked at his palms and the man asked as the sun was slowly coming down, “Why do you read?” When I read novels, I feel as if I have become the main character and I get to live their life until the end of the book. I love romance novels and so, I tend to read them more often. No one loves me in Wonderland. I've been alone for too long. It's been such a long time since love has been by my side; I swear I can feel a crack in my clock because of that emptiness. I get away from reality for a bit. However, there was no way he was going to say that. Therefore, he stuttered, “I-it's fun.”

  

 

        “You're cute. I like that,” the man replied with a smile that bared all his teeth.  

  

 

        Minseok still kept staring at the rows of books. “Will you just hurry up and choose a book? I want to go visit the Dormouse,” Jongdae whined loudly. “Hush, hush. Patience is key,” his lover replied softly. Jongdae wiggled his nose and frowned, “Yeah, yeah.” 

  

 

       It was a cloudless night where all the stars were twinkling and the moon light was shining through the big library windows. A silhouette was there standing amongst the shelves. It looked quite familiar but the librarian, well, he panicked. “A thief! A book thief!” he cried as he held a flashlight, “Oh hell no! Get your filthy hands off my books!”   

  

 

          The figure turned around and smiled, “Hello, love!” Jongdae grimaced and narrowed his eyes, “It's past one in the morning. What on Wonderland are you doing here?” He turned off the flashlight and headed towards a light switch.   

  

 

        He yawned as he took a little stretch. “Why, I am going through the shelves to see why books interest you so much,” the odd man replied smoothly. Jongdae nodded as he got closer to the mysterious man's face. Too close. So close that there was almost no space between them. The man turned to face Jongdae and smiled. All he could was a handsome man in front of him. Jongdae turned to face him as well only to see their lips close to one another. His eyes widened and the man took the chance the close the gap.  

   

 

        Jongdae couldn't breathe. His clock was spinning like mad. Jongdae once again panicked too early in the morning.   

  

 

         He pushed the man and shouted, “Why would you kiss me?!” The man who just kissed him got himself collected and simply said, “I love you.” Jongdae rolled his eyes and stated, “Love? Heck, i don't even know your name!”   

   

 

        The steamed bun faced man cleared his throat and grinned, “My clock pounds for you and all I do is think of you. I love you for many reasons but there's just too much to say. By the way, my name is Minseok but please do call me Xiumin.”  

  

 

        Jongdae played with his thumbs and timidly stated, “I'm Jongdae. It's nice to finally know your name. I'm also known as Tweedledee.” Minseok's face brightened up as he gleefully shouted, “I'm Tweedledum! I guess we were meant to be!” His smile reached his eyes and his ears became all red.  

  

 

        The librarian smiled back at him as he did not know what to say. “Let's go on adventures together! It seems so stuffy in this library!” Minseok cried happily. However, the other man pouted, “Don't make fun of my library. It's really nice once you get to know it better.” Minseok nodded, “Uh huh! Uh huh! Come on! Follow me! Let's go on an adventure now!' He grabbed Tweedledee's hand and dragged him out the door.    

  

 

    “Wait! It's too late for an adventure!” he groaned since all he wanted was to go to his warm bed. “It's never too late for adventure time!” Tweedledum smiled.  

  

 

        Minseok finally cried, “Aha! I finally found the book! The Adventures of Tweedledee and Tweedledum!” Jongdae facepalmed himself and sighed, “That's all you wanted?”   

  

 

        “Of course! I wanna see what the writer of the book wrote about us!” Minseok smiled a toothy grin. Tweedledee snorted, “You're so weird. I can just tell you about our adventures.”  

  

 

         Minseok ignored him and opened the book. He took a sniff of the book's scent and happily sighed. He sat down on a green chair and Jongdae followed him shortly. He stared at the book and thought, there's just so many things that they didn't include in that book. Things that only he and I know. Things that we both share in secrecy.  

  

 

       But that's okay because Tweedledee fell hard for Tweedledum and they never be apart from one another. And that's all that matters.