On A Sunny Monday Morning

Our Heartbreaking Story

 

           It was 10:00 AM on a sunny Monday morning. The wind was lazily blowing in the sunny weather. It was the perfect weather to go out for a cup of tea with some friends or with a lover. As I looked up at the bright sun, I covered it with my hands, only letting the light shine through my fingers.

 

            How can I remember that one particular Monday out of all the Mondays during the past 6 months you ask?

 

            It’s because that was the Monday where I first met you.

 

            I was on my way to work on that beautiful Monday morning. As usual, I had my earphones on listening to music on my phone while I was checking my e-mails, Facebook, Instagram and just about every other social media that’s available. I was standing on the sidewalk waiting for the light to turn green. I noticed that the people next to me started moving and when I looked up, I noticed that the light had turned green, signaling that we can cross the street.

 

            At the time, the volume of the music was so high that I didn’t hear the car honking.

 

            That’s where you come in.

 

            If it wasn’t for you, I would’ve been dead right at that spot. You somehow managed to pull me away from the accident into your arms. You looked both ways before picking up both of our phones while I stood still, frozen in place.

 

            “Are you okay? You’re not hurt anywhere are you? Do you want me to take you to a hospital?” You asked worriedly.

 

            I just stood there in your arms, not moving a muscle. I guess I was too shocked by the fact that a car was so close to hitting me. When you started shaking me, that’s when I came to.

 

            “You okay?” You ask again, looking into my eyes.

 

            “Yeah, I’m fine. Thank you for saving my life. I don’t know how to repay you for this,” I answered.

 

            “It’s fine, really. I’m just glad you’re okay. Let me walk you to wherever you need to go,” you offered.

 

            “I’ll be fine. I’m sure you have places to go as well,” I declined your offer, not wanting to be a burden any further.

 

            “But you can barely stand up by yourself. I don’t think you’ll be able to walk on your own,” you explained worriedly.

 

            After talking about this back and forth, I eventually gave up and took up on your offer to walk me to work. After about 10 minutes, we arrived.

 

            “Thanks for walking me to work and also for saving my life,” I say, bowing my head.

 

            “It’s nothing, really. I’m just glad I was there to help you,” you say with a wide smile.

 

            “Well if there’s any way I can repay you, please let me know,” I say, handing you my business card.

 

            “Thanks umm…” you pause to look at my business card.

 

            “Jiyeon,” I say.

 

            “Right. I’m Yong Guk. Bang Yong Guk,” you tell me.

 

            As we said our goodbyes, you handed me my phone and I walked inside the building towards the elevator. When I arrived at the office, I sat down at my desk, turning on the computer. As I sat there, I thought you were just a normal guy who just happened to save my life as you were passing by.

 

            But, boy was I wrong.

 

            That one meeting was what caused you to become like this. Until this day, I can’t help but think that everything’s my fault. If only I was careful. If only I was paying attention and didn’t have my eyes glued to the screen of my phone. Then, we wouldn’t have met.

 

            But up to this day, I haven’t regretted once about meeting you. The memories that we shared, they will always remain within me until I die. All the times we laughed together, cried together, argued together, I'm thankful for each and every one of them because I was able to share them with you. i don't think I ever told you this, but ever since our first meeting, you were on my mind the entire day and wondered if I could meet you again at the same sidewalk, at the same time.

           But, thanks to fate, I didn't have to do that. Why? It's because of our phones.

 

- - - - - 

Thank you to all the subscribers and the silent readers who dropped by!! I'm thankful that you've shown interest whether you've subscribed or not. All readers are welcome. ^^

I know this chapter is short for the first chapter but I promise to make the other chapters longer. Perhaps the one I'll be uploading this weekend will be the longest one since I don't have work.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and will continue to read the upcoming chapters :)

Thanks so much! Much love~!